main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What We Do in the Dark Side: Taika Waititi to direct/co-write new Star Wars film

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by PymParticles , May 4, 2020.

1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I thought it was the red heads.

2. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    What if this turns out to be a followup to Solo? I think I assumed this was the 2022 film, albeit with a new release date due to COVID, but maybe not.

After thinking about it more, I think my negative reaction to the news comes worry about what the next Star Wars movie is going to be. A lot is riding on their next steps, whether it's the start of a pre-TPM series, a post-TRoS series, or whatever it is. There's a good chance it will be the beginning of a new Saga. Taika Waititi doesn't immediately strike me as the right choice for that project. But maybe it will be an anthology movie? I could see his sensibilities working for a Solo sequel, given that the first had a more comedic tone. That could work.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It would be ironic if they brought in Waititi to do a sequel to Solo after the last one didn’t do so well given that’s the exact situation he was in with Ragnarok. I think it’s highly unlikely but I for one would be all for it!

4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Wonder what the odds those High Republic movies and this are gonna be connected in any way?

5. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. And like how James Gunn is reinventing Suicide Squad after the failure of the first. The first movie ends with clear sequel setup and it would be strange to leave that thread hanging forever...
    I'd like stories across all forms of media be more interconnected in the future, rather than telling stories from all across the Saga with no rhyme or reason.

6. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    More chance of a new Solo style character, possibly a female version of Han that isn't tied to previous characters and situations.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    CALRISSIAN CHRONICLES - A STAR WARS SMOOTH LANDO STORY

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Bald.

Bilbo Fett likes this.
  9. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Dr Aphra?

10. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Unlikely, someone completely new.

11. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    As long as Scarlet Johansson plays her mother

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. choccy

choccy Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 18, 2004
    You are clearly a Sith.

13. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    @cerealbox

More likely they'll be an orphan, the new LFL just loves orphans.

14. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    The only correct answer.

The Chalk Jedi and Bor Mullet like this.
  15. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    I'll sit on the fence for now but I'm open to this. I enjoyed the first two thirds of Thor Ragnarok (but for a variety of reasons the climax really annoyed me); but fortunately Jojo Rabbit and What We Do In the Shadows didn't suffer the same problem by actually knowing when to be dramatic. There's room in Star Wars for zanier stuff as we've seen, and I understand Taika did a good job on Mandalorian, so certainly not against this.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  16. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    You're all wrong. It's going to be "Rogue 2: Rogue Harder"

90 minutes of Raddus trying to escape from Darth Vader's Star Destroyer

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It had best rival Ghandi in runtime.

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Waititi is awesome and has been for awhile, the man hasn't made a bad movie, so great choice. But people have a habit of getting fired or walking away from Star Wars and hopefully that's not going to happen anymore and he's kind of a big deal to up and get fired. So I'll buy it's his movie when it gets shot and is about 4 months before release date.

I do hope it happens, though. The man can do anything. And you can watch him being interviewed about Star Wars on the Mandalorian behind the scenes show on Disney+ right now.

And easy choice and gag but I would be absolutely okay if it is just an IG-11 movie.

19. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Sith deal in absolutes.

20. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    Taika's not the first name I would think of to replace Denis Villeneuve mid-production, but at least David Lynch will have someone to commiserate with.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    Mostly Handless likes this.
  21. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    Super stoked on this one!! Jojo Rabbit was fantastic; I've never seen a movie so silly on the surface of its premise be both so heartwarming, hilarious, sad, and hopeful all in one package. I'd personally say it's the most important movie that's been made in at least a decade.

Ragnarok was thoroughly awesome and fun, and Korg was a total scene stealer.

His work on Mandalorian was superb, both as IG-11 and directing.

I know he did some work with the guys from Flight of the Conchords on their way collective way up; I haven't seen What We Do in Shadows yet (I plan on correcting this ASAP).

This guy has been consistent total quality from everything I've seen and heard. He's a very welcome addition to this universe, in my opinion. The only drawback is gonna be the wait for it! But, between the aforementioned and highly awaited Dune (current tie for me between DV and TW for favorite director), Mando season 2, Expanse Book 9 and Season 5, Netflix's Transformers series, Ongoing and upcoming CBS Star Treks, Kenobi, Cassian Andor series (which could include Raddus, and will likely give me a ton more of Tudyk's K2-SO), the newly announced D+ live action series, the rumored Rebels Sequel, and Cybertronic Spree's eventual reshedule (with MC Chris!); I don't think we'll be without other things to keep busy with the next few years.....

22. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I'd love to see what Taika and Donald Glover can do together.

But what we really need is a Supreme Leader Snoke origin story. What was childhood like in a vat with clones of yourself?

23. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I would like a Solo sequel but I’m not expecting one. I think it’ll probably be something brand new.

24. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    How about Kiwi Brunette? [face_devil]

[​IMG]

It could happen. They worked together and directors tend to bring their stars from smaller movies into big ones. especially if that star is on the verge of breaking out. Not saying it's 100% going to happen but it's 50-50. ,

25. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    "It doesn't take itself 100% seriously but it does believe in itself."

I have a great sense of ease and comfort with this choice.

Last edited: May 6, 2020