main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What We Do in the Dark Side: Taika Waititi to direct/co-write new Star Wars film

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by PymParticles , May 4, 2020.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Unlike the old LFL that just... also loved orphans actually. That's been a SW thing since forever.

Mostly Handless and Bor Mullet like this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Well, Luke, Leia and Anakin may have been orphans, but they were just minor characters.

3. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I think Taika would make a great fit for a SOLO/Crimson Dawn continuation, I think that a fun space adventure movie would fit his style really well.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  4. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I’m shocked at the spat of good Star Wars news lately. Clone Wars season 7 and finale seemed to get mostly positive reactions. And our new film and tv series seems to be winning praise as well. I’m hopeful this momentum can continue.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  5. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Kathleen Kennedy talked about planning ten years ahead in 2017. New stories, but also stories with Rey and Finn and Poe and BB8 (she didnt mention Ben/Kylo) But she didn't say 2027; and maybe the planning had been there for some time. Palpatine was there from the beginning in some form, as Kennedy also said, and he wouldn't appear until 2019, 5-6 years after 'the beginning' (2013-2014)

Again, what about Ben Solo? I've alluded to reincarnation in other posts. That would made a prequel unnecessary. A sequel with flashbacks would amount to the same thing, backstory-wise, and ReyFinnPoeBB8 could be made a part of it. You could use a kid, or a different person with the kid inside of him/her. That's more or less [SPOLIERS] K. arc in BR2049. (and, in a non-literal sense, Rey Skywalker is the Leia Skywalker that never was)

Waititi's Boy (2010) and Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016) deal with 10-12 yeard old boys and delinquency. Also, at some point Waititi was to direct an adaptation of Akira (orphan kids with superpowers, with Tetsuo being some kind of teenage Kylo Ren). Looper had this kid with powers too: and his future self, the scarred Rainmaker, is not seen in the film...but that's more or less what Kylo Ren is in TLJ. RJ was approached because of Looper.

6. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    The recent positive reactions prove that the fanbase can be united.

As for orphans, in a franchise called Star Wars, where the main theme is the tragedy of war, the orphan can and should remain one of the key character archetypes deployed. They have the challenge of making this feel new and dramatic, of course, but the character type itself shouldn't be abandoned.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    Mostly Handless and eko32eko7 like this.
  7. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Can't wait to see: "Now I have a lightsaber. Ho ho ho"

8. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Even if Han and Chewbacca were side characters and bounty hunter characters were given the focus. I think something like that would attract Taika, allowing him room to completely do his own thing.

9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Replace Anakin with Han and you’re right. Anakin had a mother who raised him until he went off to Jedi boarding school so not really an orphan. ;)

eko32eko7 and Bor Mullet like this.
  10. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Jon Kasdan likes to think that after Han ran away from home, his father was still out there somewhere, drinking himself to death. I like to think that's true, and that every time he heard stories of the smuggler and war hero Han Solo, he couldn't help to think of the son he lost and wonder where he was.

11. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    He probably heard the surname Solo, and thought it was a stupid sounding name.

(Solo spoilers-Solo is not Han’s birth surname)

Mostly Handless and eko32eko7 like this.
  12. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Everything post-Skywalker, for me is gravy. Like Phase 4 of the MCU franchise.

Disney can play in the SW sandbox for all I care. It’s the core saga which is sacred and we got through that largely unscathed by ‘modern’ sensibilities. Taika will bring some irreverence and humor and I’m all for it.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    I honestly can’t see them doing anything else on the big screen with the ST cast. The ST was poorly planned and just has not resonated sufficiently with audiences to warrant anything further.

They need to draw a line under it and move on to something new, but this time with a proper plan.

Darth_Bertie and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  14. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I don't think Kennedy meant that future films would feature the St characters. It's entirely possible to continue exploring those characters and their stories in various other mediums, like animated TV series or books. Regardless, I do not think Waititi has any intentions of continuing the ST story or featuring those characters. If he was brought on board to write and direct a movie, especially after the hesitance he expressed at the idea back in 2017, I'm assuming he was given relative carte balance to create his own story and characters.

Also, just to preemptively nip this in the bud, we ain't gonna be arguing about the ST in here.

15. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018

16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I think plans have changed since she said that almost three years ago. Either way, Taika's one movie is probably not where they'd revisit those characters again anyway.

17. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Yes, and again, she says “future stories beyond Episode IX with these new characters,” not future movies.

Darth_Bertie and EHT like this.
  18. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I think it's most likely she's talking about movies, but who knows. I'd love to see what Taika could do with Finn and Poe. I'd even be up for a continuation of Solo with a director like him, someone who can bring some life and attitude to a character that deserves it.

Although I don't understand why some are fired up for more Maul in potential Solo movies. The two could never interact since Han claims to have no evidence of Force users in ANH. That's the gimmicky thing about Maul appearing at the end of Solo: it doesn't add much of substance. His involvement would be worth it if he could have been actively pursuing Han and friends from the beginning. But that's not really possible, so why bother.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  19. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    We are going to watch Jojo Rabbit this evening.

20. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Enjoy, it's great. Sam Rockwell in particular is wonderful.

Bob Effette likes this.
  21. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    I think that we'll get episode X in like 10-15 years and Rey will find Luke's secret kid's grandson or something.

22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

Bor Mullet and PymParticles like this.
  23. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Iron Man 2 might not be one of my favorite MCU movies, but Sam Rockwell is amazing in it. My brother and I have been regularly quoting Justin Hammer since 2010.

To heck with it, cast Sam Rockwell in Taika's Star Wars movie. Make him the highly incompetent and overly ambitious vicar of a Sith Lord.

24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Better than Iron Man 3. :p

25. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    That is correct. :vader:

Darth Chiznuk likes this.