main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What We Do in the Dark Side: Taika Waititi to direct/co-write new Star Wars film

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by PymParticles , May 4, 2020.

1. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I like Sam Rockwell in “Moon”

That is one great film.

2. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Some of us already suspected what KK said in 2017 could hint at Kylo dying in IX and that movie being the closure of the Skywalker Saga. Seems likely that is the case.

As has been mentioned, there is other media to continue the adventures of the ST cast. But is is hard to argue those characters are not as beloved as the OT ones were back in the day. That, together with the possibility of a change in LFL's leadership and the lack of planning and fan fatigue associated with the ST could very well mean we won't be seeing more of Rey, Finn and Poe on the big screen.

Which is not bad news to me, quite honestly.

Gamma626 likes this.
  3. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm curious how Waititi will handle this project with respect to its ideas and themes. New Zealand culture in general and the experience of being Maori are present in all of his films in one way or another except for Thor: Ragnarok, but even that film comments on the bloody history of colonialism and the rose-tinted revisionist history that follows.

4. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    This is an insightful comment -- you may have put your finger right on the key themes and plot of the film. Nice.

chrcharcor2 likes this.
  5. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    At this stage I’m just excited for an new cast and a brand new adventure.

6. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Adam Driver is so awesome in the role I have a hard time believing Disney will let him go. I can see him getting a Robert Downey Jr type contract.

Demon4x4 and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I love Driver in almost everything he does. But found his Kylo to be overacted.

8. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    It was very good. Bonkers but good. Somewhat odd tonally for such a topic, but I think it works.

9. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I love Thor Ragnarok and Taika has a little thing called an Oscar for Jojo Rabbit and he's cut his teeth on an excellent Mandalorian episode so very excited to what he can do with Star Wars , the only thing is can he deliver it in December 2022 in the current climate of delays and the fact Thor 4 has been pushed back till Feb 2022 so how can he film a Star Wars movie in the middle of 2021 when he will be putting the finishing touches on Thor and probably doing re-shoots ect so I'm pretty sure Star Wars 2022 will be delayed but how on earth will that fit in with Avatar ? :

1. God forbid Avatar 2 gets pushed to Dec 2022 and Star Wars to Dec 2023
    2. Star Wars gets pushed back to May 2023
    3. No Star Wars till Dec 2024

[face_thinking]

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  10. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Avatar 2 is well in progress. The marketing was ramping up. Lots of on set pictures. It will be December 2021.

Love And Thunder will be Feb 2022.

I think December 2023 is the earliest and that's optimistic.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Personally I could never see the Disney ST characters again and be OK with it.

Leave corporate-driven Star Wars behind.

12. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I can understand not being interested in certain characters, but using an explanation like "corporate-driven" for it is just absurd. The characters weren't any more corporate-driven than any other characters in the history of Star Wars.

Jedi Knight Fett and DarthRosie like this.
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I hope we get more stores of the ST characters, they not less important then the other trilogy characters.

DarthRosie likes this.
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Well, at any rate, they are probably not the stars of Taika's film so let's not do this tug of war match in here.

15. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Same. A new beginning.

PymParticles and Bor Mullet like this.
  16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    With him writing, i could see this movie being similar to Rogue Oone and Solo. I don't know if it be in the saga timeline or new but i love for new exciting characters and storylines.

17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I would love another war story type film like Rogue One. Especially from one of the writers of 1917. And given Taika’s different sensibilities it would still be quite unique. Sign me up!

themoth and Bor Mullet like this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I can barely contain myself thinking about this. Is Sam Mendes’ Director of Photography free too?

19. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Depending how advanced Avatar 3 is :

Star Wars Dec 2023

[face_thinking]

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  20. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Thor is the story of a rich boy who loses everything, and finds the world a whole lot more difficult when you don't automatically win all the time.

I could see Taika doing a Young Ben Solo story.
    Son of one of the most prestigious couples in the Galaxy. Blessed with great Force Powers. But he falls in with those naughty Knights of Ren boys and get into all sorts of mischief. In the end his crusty old uncle Luke changes his heart and convinces him to come and train to become a Jedi.
    A happy ending.

21. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    A Shadows of the Empire type movie, given that has now been replaced in new canon. A character like Dash Rendar with his own droid/ship, or focus on the underworld part of the story with bounty hunters. Cameos from Luke could be there but minimal.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  22. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Bold Prediction! This is totally coming straight to Disney Plus because movie theaters ain’t gonna be around for much longer. I’m only half kidding.

23. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Nothing will replace the movie theater experience but I don't think you're wrong. At least in the sense that we may start seeing fewer of them and not so clumped together. But that is a discussion for another thread. If you find it tag me and we can talk more there because I don't disagree with and honestly love the idea of paying more to watch a movie at home.

My hope for this movie is that it has original content. As much as I'd love stuff based on people we know and are comfortable with. I want new characters in this universe and how they interact with things.

24. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    It's almost as if they expecting and so trying to discourage thoughts of Disney+.

A Mandalorian Movie, perhaps to end the journey after Season 3, would be fun. But that's not it.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  25. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    How ironic that if colonialism was never a thing he would not be around to make his movies.