main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What will Indy 4 be about? (speculation only - no spoilers please)

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Coolguy4522, Jul 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Indy 4 is about Jones going to the nursing home. There, he discovers that Hitler is actually still alive, and in the nursing home as well.

They battle over the Holy Bedpan.

2. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    Speak little of such blasphemous words in an Indy thread...

3. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jun 1, 2001
    I'm tired of Indy fighting the Nazis. I would like for them to bring Indy into a preliminary Cold War.

My personal opinion is that Ford is too old now to do any heavy action scenes. I'm not talking about beating up badguys, but running, jumping, falling, and all the other crazy stuff that befalls Jones. Whether he is capable of doing the stunts or not is irrelevant; it's the pereceptions in people's minds that Ford looks too old to be an action hero (in the face even - with his wrinkles, and his gray hairs).

But if they do bring Ford back, I would like to see him in a role that has a little less action for him, and requires him to bring along a young protoge' (maybe a student of his).

I definately like the Garden of Eden idea, so here's my perception of the next Indy movie:

Jones is again a university professor. He has a new student who takes a particular interest in his career (both university and otherwise). Meanwhile, Jones hears from his student that there are rumors that the Germans are digging a canal in Africa. Apparently, they are trying to find the staff of Moses (or maybe the sling of David. At any rate, it would be a Biblical artifact).

One of the people helping the Germans is a Russian professor (a handsome man, about Jones' age), who it seems is helping Germany because he is disdained with his Russia's atheistic views. This professor studies the Bible adamantly for its artifacts, and it turns out that he is a rival of Jones.

Jones travels to Africa to find out what the Nazis are up to, and to look for the staff/sling/whatever for himself. His student follows, though Jones doesn't know it. There, Jones comes across Marion of all people. He is confused by her presence there, so he gets sidetracked into following her. This sidetrack leads him right into a Russian camp! But why are the Russians here, and why is Marion in their camp?

Jones spies on a late night rendezvous between Marion...and the Russian professor!?! He wonders what this is about. An argument ensues between Marion and the Russian, and seems as if it's going to get violent. Because other Russians arrive on the scene, and it appears that this Russian professor is in cohoots with his fellow countrymen after all. But why? Before Jones can intervene, and rescue Marion, he is captured at gunpoint...by his student!

This student reveals a German accent! He was disguising it. After he takes Jones to the German camp, he reveals that he was a German spy all along! His information was used as bait to lure Jones to Africa for a more important reason. The Germans discovered - too late - that their Russian professor friend was really helping Russia. The original Russian plan was to draw Jones to Africa after the Germans (by leaking out rumors through the student, who was a double agent spy), while Russia went after the real prize, which the Germans won't reveal to Jones at this point. But now - irony of ironies - the Germans are requesting the help of Indian Jones to stop Russia! They fear Russia will try to rule the world. In return, the Germans will help Jones rescue Marion.

Jones isn't quite sure if he can trust the Germans. Eventually, thanks to some persuasion from his student, Jones agrees to help them. But first things first: they must rescue Marion. To keep from alerting the Russians that the Germans are on to their plans, Jones and his student go along into the Russian camp, and rescue Marion (the Russians don't know that Jones' student is German, so they have no clue that Germany is onto their plan. They just think he betayed them). Jones finds out that the Russian professor was Marion's lover. She fell in love with him (after "Raiders") because Jones split the scene, and he reminded her of Jones. But now things have gone sour, since Marion discovered their plans. Marion reveals what Russia is after: the Garden of Eden! The Czar hopes to attain eternal life and all knowledge in the garden! Furthermore, he hopes to give his soldiers eternal life and rule the world (as Germany feared)!

Jon

4. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    Actually..I rather liked that.

There would have to be a few obligatory action sequences dealing with escaping peril or a boulder or some vehicle chase of some kind though.
    Knowing Lucas...he wouldn't have it any other way.

5. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jun 1, 2001
    Thanks, Tellesto.

Yeah, most of the action sequences would revolve around Jones and the Russians.

6. JohnnyDeath

JohnnyDeath Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 23, 2001
    i so hope that jones doesnt take on a student that would just be really silly to me.

7. Dubya_Fett

Dubya_Fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    The scenes with old Indy in "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" showed that he had grandchildren. Indy having a son or daughter could be addressed in the next film.

I think it's time to move beyond the Nazis as villains. I always wanted to see Indy fight the Japanese, but I doubt it will happen. More likely he will battle the Soviets during the Cold War, perhaps in a race to find some mystical relic the Nazis hid during World War II.

-Dubya Fett
    Fettism of the Day: "I survived the Jedi purge and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."

8. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    It looks as this is all just wild specutation about a movie that might not be made. Here is a new report:

"... If Lucas and Co. aren't that concerned about abrogating the "Last Crusade," Indiana Jones IV is going to have to be better than the three films combined without looking as though it's trying to be better than the preceding chapters, and I mean trying in an ironic, referential and self-aware kind of way -- like the soft-cock and familial ?Lethal Weapon 4,? which tried to tie up the entire ?Lethal Weapon? series with a neat little bow, and failed.
    Last week, in an interview with ?The Calgary Sun,? Spielberg's long-time producer, Kathleen Kennedy, gave eager fans an update on the progress of Indiana Jones IV, and in the process, revealed exactly why some fear -- and some hope -- that the ?Last Crusade? is odds on favorite to maintain its status as Indiana Jones' final film foray -- as it was intended to be. Kennedy said, "The truth is there has been a lot of discussion amongst all of us connected with the film but to be honest there is no script because there isn't even a writer in place. It sounds like a slam dunk to do another Indiana Jones, but you have to get everyone available and committed and then you have to get a screenplay that excites everyone. In reality that could probably take years."

The subtext underpinning Kennedy's quote is there for all to see: no writer so far invited to turn in their vision of an Indy IV has been able to lick it. When you consider that the escalating costs associated with making movies in the 21st century makes it hard for good writers to really flex their muscles, and when you consider the great, inescapable fact that George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Harrison Ford, Lawrence Kasdan and the late Jeffrey Boam engineered an impossible ask by turning in two towering film achievements, including a great -- and purposeful -- send-off for Herr Jones, the likelihood of a fourth Indiana Jones that packs a knock-out punch becomes remote. On top of all that is the compounded greatness of the series' bookends and the crushing weight of the reverence reserved for the films that must be considered, and, overcome. Even thinking up a great storyline, I'm sure, will challenge the most mercurially talented scribes."

9. El_Emperador

El_Emperador Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2001
    If they're at a loss for stories, they can always borrow from either of their Indiana Jones games:

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (haven't played it)

Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine: Indy goes all over the world racing the Soviets for parts to the "Infernal Machine" a supposed device that connects our world with a different plane. This machine is housed within the Tower of Babel. Lots of Soviets to kill and mystic and such. Also Sophia Hapgood! :) Good story, it would work I think.

10. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    An adventure movie about finding mythical artifacts, before the numerous bad guys do? Based on a computer game? Ha!

11. SabreBlade

SabreBlade Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2001
    Yeah. I heard on the radio a couple of months ago that it would be about 'The Lost City Of Atlantis'. I thought it would be a pretty cool idea. After all, the game of it was pretty awesome. Really made you think. But I think the movie will be different to the game.

Also, isn't Sir Sean Connery meant to appear once again as Indy's Dad.

12. -XXX-

-XXX- Jedi Youngling

Jul 25, 2001
  13. SabreBlade

SabreBlade Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2001
    I just read my TV Week (a weekly magazine here down under in Australia) and found an article concerning Indy 4.

'Harrison Ford and Sir Sean connery are set to star in a fourth Indiana Jones blockbuster. Director Steven Spielberg and producer Geaorge Lucas have been tipped to reunite on the film which is rumoured to exceed a $US150 million budget.'

Looks like we will see another Indy installment.

14. Batya_Organa

Batya_Organa Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2001
    I would like to see another Indiana Jones...but I wish they'l leave Sean Connery out of it :p It's like they needed him to make the film look better...when actually all it takes is Harrison [face_blush] so let's hope it'll be something like"Indiana Jones and the lost Atlantis"or else...(quating 3po)Wer'e doomed!! :p

15. Dubya_Fett

Jun 2, 2001
    I hope we see Sean Connery again, but only in a cameo, like Laura Dern in "Jurassic Park III" or Denholm Elliot in "Raiders of the Lost Ark". Since we've already seen the story of Henry Sr.'s life-long quest to find the Holy Grail and the reunion with his estranged son, he doesn't need as much screentime. Indy's dad could stay behind in Princeton while Indy goes off on another adventure.

Besides, if the film is set in the 1950s, which it most likely will be, Henry Sr. will be in his 70s or 80s. Probably too old for globe-trotting, especially since he was a reluctant adventurer. I'd like to see Henry Sr. old and near death. I think a large theme of "Indiana Jones IV" could be realizing that you are getting older and dealing with your mortality. Indy could come to grip with the fact he isn't as young and fit as he used to be. I'd also like to see an acknowledgement of Denholm Elliot's passing by referring to the death of Marcus Brody. It would be a fitting tribute.

-Dubya Fett
    Fettism of the Day: VALORUM: "Kneel before Zod!" MAS AMEDDA: "He's never been the same since he lost the no-confidence vote."

16. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    This in from empireonline.co.uk:

It also looks as though Shyamalan?s previously reported work on Indiana Jones IV has failed to get off the ground, but he seems confident that the film will shape-up nicely without him: "I was never contacted formally to do the project, I did publicly express interest, but nothing really ever came to fruition. They have their ideas and I of course as a fan, have ideas of how they should do it. They will get it done, I just don't think it will be completed for some time. It will probably be the biggest film ever made, I think it would even topple Star Wars and Titanic at this point."

Read the full article here.

17. Dubya_Fett

Jun 2, 2001
    I doubt the plot will involve the search for Atlantis, as that story has been done to death not only in the "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis" video game and comic book, but in other films, like the recent "Atlantis: The Lost Empire". A plot about finding the ancient device that destroyed Atlantis would be okay (with Indy racing against the Soviets, who are working from research stolen from the Nazis during World War II), but I do not want to see any lame plots involving people living under the sea, like some fanboys have speculated.

-Dubya Fett
    Fettism of the Day: "Shaak Ti... Shaak Ti... Shaak Ti... Shaak Ti monkey!"

18. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Why can't they just shoot this Indy4 script?

http://www.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de/~indiana/mv/scrpls/indy4.html

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. Dubya_Fett

Jun 2, 2001
    Oh god, not that awful "Indiana Jones and the Sons of Darkness" script! That one has been revealed as a phony. Jeffrey Boam and George Lucas had nothing to do with it. In it Indy is revealed to have a young son by Marion Ravenwood, not a bad idea, but the way he is introduced is pretty weak. The plot involves the search for Noah's Ark, which has got to be the ancient artifact I am least interested in seeing (after the Garden of Eden, which is the subject of another phony story). The rest of the plot, from what I remember, involves two warring ancient brotherhoods, the Soviets, and an evil being left aboard the Ark. The climax is really bad, involving a bomber carrying an atomic bomb and Indy teaming up with Joseph Stalin! Film this screenplay, and it is guaranteed to clean up at the Razzies!

As bad as "The Sons of Darkness" is, it doesn't hold a candle to "Indiana Jones and the Monkey King", AKA "Indiana Jones and the Garden of Life", which was a screenplay purportedly written by Chris Columbus (writer of "Gremlins" and "The Goonies", director of "Home Alone" and the upcoming "Harry Potter") in 1987. The plot involves the Nazis and the Peaches of Immortality, a magical fruit from Daoist mythology that is said to grant eternal life. Not a bad idea to begin with, but the script throws in such horrendous elements as a lost city in the clouds ruled over by the half-human, half-monkey Monkey King, also of Chinese myth. The Monkey King rules over a society where apes and pygmy humans co-exist. Okay, now it seems like a re-make of a "Planet of the Apes" film, but did I tell you that the Monkey King's lost city is not in China, where the myths originated, but in Africa! Yep, if you think Jar Jar Binks was racist, this screenplay puts African pygmies on the same level as monkeys. The key to finding the Monkey King's city is a little pygmy, described as "adorable" in the script, as if he was Wicket the Ewok or something.

The script also features a gang of Chinese river pirates (in Africa) who are also looking for the Immortal Peaches, a pointless and mind-boggling opening sequence in a haunted Scottish castle, and not one, but two love interests for Indy. One is a proper college professor who saves the day using her skill with bird calls (I kid you not). The other is a spoiled teenage student whom Indy has had an affair with. Rejected by Indy, she makes several failed suicide attempts (this is played up for laughs). The female professor makes a comment about her testifying at Indy's child molestation trial (Ha-ha-ha!). The female student tags along to Africa, having hidden for days aboard a cargo boat in a barrel full of bananas (She apparently ate her way to the bottom of the barrel. God knows what she did when she had to go to the bathroom.).

Other script details include a Nazi officer with a robotic arm that shoots bullets and later lightning bolts, a scene involving a giant Nazi tank that resembles the tank chase from "The Last Crusade", except the Nazi tank is unbelievably HUGE, and there's a bit where Indy rides atop a rhino. The worst parts of the script include Indy inspiring the inhabitants of the Monkey King's city against Nazi invaders by telling them about his bullied childhood, Indy being captured by gorillas that steal his clothes, a bunch of apes taking control of a Nazi tank (when Ewoks do it with AT-STs in "Return of the Jedi" it is okay, when it happens here it is just plain pathetic), and a fight over a pit of tigers (Argggh! The Cardinal Sin of Bad Adventure Movies: there are no tigers in Africa!).

In conclusion, "Indiana Jones and the Monkey King" has to be the worst screenplay I have ever read. "Gremlins" and "Goonies" weren't good scripts by any means, but even this soiled diaper of a story seems so far below Chris Columbus's limited talents I hope it is a fraud. It's like one of those Allan Quatermain films starring Richard Chamberlain. It is bad. It is Ed Wood bad. It is bad, bad, bad, bad, bad!

-Dubya Fett
    Fettism of the Day: "Relax, Admiral Akbar. The menu says kalamari, not Mon Calamari.

20. Coolguy4522

Dec 21, 2000
    I must disagree. I am hoping for INDIANA JONES AND THE MONKEY KING! It has everything you could ever want in a Indian Jones Movie. Could you imagine the soundtrack? Best. Script. Ever.
    :p

21. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    My friend and I had a funny discussion about Indy 4 today. He said "What if Harrison Ford hurt himself making the movie? George Lucas would have to take his place!" Man, we had fun. Indy in flannel! Ha! :p

22. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    That Monkey King script is one of the worst things I've ever read. I'm sooo glad Lucas and Spielberg didn't decide to make it into Indy 3.

23. Coolguy4522

Dec 21, 2000
    Anybody else have any ideas?

24. Dubya_Fett

Jun 2, 2001
    I actually wrote three "Indiana Jones" scripts, just for fun.

INDIANA JONES AND THE ETERNAL CITY
    Set in 1944, Indy and Short Round are captured by the Japanese after a run-in with headhunters and pirates in the South Pacific. Taken to Hong Kong, Indy is brought before an aging Japanese general who wants to find the Peaches of Immortality, which grant eternal life to whoever eats them. The Peaches ripen only once every 6,000 years in the lost city of K'un-lun. Indy and Short Round escape to the Chinese mainland, where they try to help the daughter of an old colleague of Indy's find K'un-lun before the Japanese do.

INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF GOLD
    In 1948, Indy and his Native American sidekick (the one from the Young Indiana Jones episode "Mystery of the Blues") are contacted by a former flame of Indy's whose fiance, a wealthy explorer, has disappeared while trying to find the lost city of El Dorado. While trying to find the missing explorer, Indy and his friends battle a gang of Nazis who fled to South America after World War II and are also looking for El Dorado's golden treasure. El Dorado is eventually found, but it is inhabited by an ancient Inca cult that dips its sacrificial victims alive in molten gold.

INDIANA JONES AND THE FORBIDDEN POWER
    In 1952, Indy is about to retire when the CIA recruit him for one last mission. During World War II the Nazis found the Spear of Destiny, the lance used by the Roman centurion Longinus to wound the side of Christ during the Crucifixion. The Spear possesses the power to foresee the future. As the Allies invaded Germany, the Nazis placed the Spear on a submarine bound for Japan, but it sank along the way. The Soviets are now looking for the missing sub and the Spear. Indy must sneak into East Berlin to find hidden Nazi documents revealing the sub's whereabouts. Along the way, Indy meets the long-lost daughter of him and Marion Ravenwood. Prof. Henry Jones Sr. and Sallah also make appearances.

-Dubya Fett

25. ComicDude

ComicDude Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2001
    Some good news - Paramount recently lost the rights now and I heard it's likely that Speilberg will move to a different company which would speed up production on the film.

We will see another Indy movie... I promise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.