main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What will the last shot in the Skywalker Saga/Episode IX be?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by AndrewPascoe, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Agree.

Obi-Wan 'Old Ben' Kenobi is one of my favorites.

Ava G. likes this.
  2. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    Obi-Wan's hut might still be there.

3. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I hadn't thought about that. Maybe we'll Ben Solo wearing one of Obi-Wan's old robes that he found in Kenobi's hut?

Wildcatbarry and Ava G. like this.
  4. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    The theme twinkles. As he puts on the robe, faint and ghostly snatches of Luke and Obi-Wan's conversation can be heard.

5. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Or maybe the last shot or shots are a time jump montage where it flashes forward a few years and we see where everybody ends up? Rey and Finn lovingly watching over their children playing, one or both of their children possibly using the force, Poe possibly being a leader of some sort, keeping the peace in the galaxy and then the last shot of Ben on Tatooine in robes and a beard.

Psych_Jedi, teamhansolo and Ava G. like this.
  6. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Or a ship lands and it's Rey. Lots of possibilities.

7. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Maybe Ben placing what's left of the Skywalker lightsaber back in Kenobi's chest then walking outside and staring at the twin suns.

8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Dancing porgs knocking on stormtrooper helmets.

9. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
  10. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Tequila

Darth Smurf likes this.
  11. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Thought this could warrant its own thread if it prompts any discussion.

I believe it is rumoured that Ep IX ends on Tattooine, much like Revenge of the Sith's final shot.

This bookend to ANH could be fitting, bringing everything full circle, possibly with Kylo in place of Luke if redeemed, or Rey in place of Luke if she is revealed as a Skywalker.

But I wonder if it has been overdone already.

These are all the saga scenes that are (Imo) based of Luke's iconic ANH moment -

ANH:
    The original... Luke, ever the dreamer, yearns and looks to the future and bigger possibilities as the twin suns set.

TPM:
    Shmi - "But you can not stop the change any more than you can stop the suns from setting."

AOTC:
    Anakin searches the Tattooine desert on a speeder bike for kidnapped Shmi, as the twin suns set in the background. A father/son inversion as Anakin tries to morbidly hold onto the past eventually leading to his enslavement to the dark side - where Luke looked forward open-endedly at those same suns).

ROTS:
    - Twin moons on Kashyyyk when the stormtroopers state "All these wookies are dead". The Republic's twilight.
    - Anakin looks at a solar eclipse over Mustafar lava, after committing dark deeds - his light being enveloped or smothered by darkness.
    - Iconic callback with the final shot of Owen, Beru, and baby Luke looking at the binary sunset once more.

TLJ:
    And finally, Luke's death scene has twin suns, book-ending his journey from ANH until the moment he becomes one with the force.

It has many layers when you look at all examples together, I wonder if JJ could really use it again and retain the wonder it had in ANH and arguably ROTS?

12. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Id argue its probably more fitting then doing the force ghost thing again.

HevyDevy likes this.
  13. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    With Force theme blaring please...

ChrisLyne and HevyDevy like this.
  14. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    Only if Kylo is being buried on the family plot.

Seeher, Deliveranze and wobbits like this.
  15. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I don't know. It was kind of Luke's thing, originally. So it made sense in ROTS with baby Luke being brought to his new home, and it made sense in TLJ with Luke dying. But now that Luke's gone, it doesn't seem so fitting. Sure, they could have Kylo looking at the twin suns as he prepares to start a new chapter in his life, but... meh. I'd prefer some original imagery.

And I hope the ending music is different. The past several SW movies segued from the Force Theme to the closing credits theme. I miss having original music to close the movies out.

Def Trooper, HevyDevy and AhsokaSolo like this.
  16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It's my preferred ending. Ben Solo in exile looking out at the twin suns setting. The Skywalkers end where they began.

17. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    The only way this ending works for me is if Rey is Luke’s daughter TBF. I agree with the idea that the binary sunset represents Luke specifically, not the saga. Rey is our protagonist in this trilogy, and I think the final shot should be about her.

18. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    How about both elements simultaneously?
    I'm kind of serious.
    Force ghosts watching the twin suns? Lol.

It could be good, but I wonder what JJ can bring to it to make it unique?
    I feel like this movie is going to be original in many ways.
    Just from what we have heard and seen I'm cautiously optimistic there will be some mindblowing stuff in it.

[face_plain]
    Oh be nice.
    :p

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  19. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    @miasma Exactly, all of this stuff has been done to death. I'd be more open to a binary sunset ending if we didn't just get a super forced one in TLJ, and it's almost parodic how overused the Force Theme is. That ship has sailed IMO.

20. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    I agree it was more Luke's thing than a saga element... although additionally it is pretty clearly meant to be contrasted with his father.
    Particularly the stuff with Shmi.

Anakin:
    "Where are you going?"
    "To find my mother."
    *Anakin leaves the room and is then shown on a speeder-bike in front of twin sunset*
    Luke:
    "Where are you going?
    "Looks like I'm going nowhere. I'm gonna go finish cleaning those droids."
    *Luke leaves and triggers the famous binary sunset scene.*

AhsokaSolo likes this.
  21. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    No. A medal ceremony where everyone gets medals, even Chewie

alwayslurking and HevyDevy like this.
  22. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    Nah the saga should end like it started, with 2 Jedi heading towards a negotiation to settle a trade dispute :D

But seriously, wouldn’t be too upset with an exiled Ben Solo riding off into the sunset. I’d actually be thrilled.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  23. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I agree. Tatooine holds emotional meaning with regards to Anakin/Luke not Leia/ Kylo. Kylo and the binary sunset to me would feel forced. The father/son connection with the planet has more meaning to the overall saga. I don't want to see Kylo there just because that's where Grandpa was from or because of the love for the ANH ending.

Story wise Leia doesn't even recognize Anakin as her father in a way that would generate warm feelings in my heart upon seeing Kylo staring at the twin suns.

24. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    Maybe they will have Kylo in the Cantina sitting at Han's table from A New Hope. [face_sick]

PendragonM likes this.
  25. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Chewie ain’t gonna make it, I’m telling ya.

The ending is going to be Dark Rey on her throne surveying her Empire. Came from nowt, now rules the Galaxy. How’s that for a rags to riches story? I’m calling it.

Seeher, PendragonM and Def Trooper like this.