main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What would get you so glad that you would walk INTO Episode IX?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by The Regular Mustache, Feb 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Being rated R..........or shockingly NC-17

2. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I'd love it if we saw Finn, Rey, Poe, Chewie, Rose, and BB-8 as close friends at this point. I really miss the camaraderie that the OT cast had and would love to see the new heroes, especially Rey and Finn have that relationship.

3. Little Ray Sunshine

Little Ray Sunshine Jedi Knight star 2

May 2, 2016
    Yes, but in order to make that credible they would have to actually spend time together, something LFL has been rather stingy with so far. Rey and Rose have yet to meet, something that will likely take place off screen. I realize that Star Wars has never been really big on the Bechdel test, but come on.

4. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Well there's a rumor that Rey and Rose are in the Falcon together. Maybe Rey will say, "Rose punch it!" and Rose will say, "will do." Bechdel test passed! :p

5. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @The Regular Mustache

I agree about the camaraderie missing but I don't think it's just because they have not focus on it enough (though they haven't). I just think the chemistry among the ST cast is not the same as the OT. And to be fair, not only is the ST cast chemistry not bad but finding that type of chemistry that the OT had is very difficult and really something you cannot plan on. You just either have it or don't. I was reading recently about how in Ocean's Eleven (the Clooney version), the cast wasn't told when to get leave one by one when they were watching the Bellagio fountains at the end of the movie. They were just told to leave when it "felt right". That is how good the chemistry among the cast was. Obviously the OT cast had that too.

6. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Confirmation that Reylo is not remotely a thing and will not even be implied in IX. I’d run, not walk, to the theater.

7. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I think the ST cast has very good chemistry... WHEN they're together. Rey & Finn worked great together in TFA. The fact that they're friends in real life really came across on screen. Finn & Poe had such good chemistry together, people starting "shipping" them. The only relationship that didn't do anything for me with Finn & Rose. Nothing against either actor, I just didn't feel any great bond there. JJ is very good at working with actors, though, so it's entirely possible he can improve that.

And yes, I too would love to see all of the leads really working together with a sense of camaraderie. The groundwork is there, now the script just needs to accommodate it.

8. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    If Darth Plagueis wasn't in it in any way, shape or form(not even a brief mention or cameo).

9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The date being December 19th, 2019.

10. CloneBlooper

CloneBlooper Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    A chicken duck woman thing.

w4tkn and GregMcP like this.
  11. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Luke Skywalker kicking ass as a force ghost.......

12. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    If this line shows up during the credits "Coming Soon: Star Wars Heir to the Empire"

13. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Here are some random scenes that would genuinely get me curious about it.

- A long scene of Lando, Chewie, R2 and C3PO on the MF being chased by TIEs with Lando in the Pilot, Chewie in the Co-pilot and R2 and C3PO on the background talking. No Rey-Poe-BB8-Finn-Tico on sight.

- Rey severely injured, physically hurt. Don't care how, just show her like she's been severely beaten down and injured. Missing limbs if possible. I say show her because it would be very difficult to show her struggling emotionally (as opposed to physically) on a teaser or trailer. Show like she will have to overcome some difficulty, like she will suffer.

- Shot of Poe, Finn, Tico meeting an early demise, at least show one, possibly more dying. I mean Poe was supposed to die in TFA and Finn should've died also from his injuries.

- Kylo actually acting like a believable badda (like at the start of TFA) and not like a spoiled man-baby.

- R2 and C3PO actually doing stuff and not just being background characters.

- BB-8 being blown to smithereens. (Even though I'd know he will be ok)

14. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    And seagulls

w4tkn likes this.
  15. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Identity politics and not caring about the overall story and mythologie.

I got a bad feeling that episode 9 is getting another box office bombing if Disney and Lucasflim don't try to connect with the overall fans at the celebration in Chicago. This is there last chance to make amends. Even adam driver said Episode 9 is the last hope for correction.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  16. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    This would be close but it wouldn't make me run.

The following ideas would at least make me read reviews and consider going.

Leia/Rey/Lando/Chewie NOT dying for Kylo
    Kylo dies
    Rey NOT inheriting the Falcon- give it to Chewie
    Leia being handled respectfully
    Finn being given a better story

This is a longshot but ----A force ghost Anakin showing up ( HC without having Matt Lanter's voice dubbed over) who has meaningful lines(not more bs sand joke type material) and isn't deconstructed like the OT3.

17. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    My bad sorry, I thought this was a thread about what would make you mad to walk out.

Anyways. I would love too see knights of ren in action.

18. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    - Luke being portrayed as a continuation of his character after ROTJ, even as a Force Ghost. Just make him make me cry happy tears. I would very much prefer him alive somehow, even if it sounds ridiculous, but it would be an improvement for me.
    - Rey being the unquestioned protagonist of the movie and having scenes towards the end that will make me finally get attached to her as I started feeling in TFA, giving her a grand emotional third act
    - Finn being very important and vital to the good guys winning
    - Kylo Ren dying. I don't care how, as long as he is not glorified.
    - The World Between Worlds playing an important part, and changing the game of the Force and the Jedi.
    - The Jedi NOT ending.

19. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    If I'm alive, I'll be happy enough to see it.

20. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    -Emphasize world building. The ST feels more like a remake of the classics rather than a meaningful continuation of them so show us what happened these past 30 years. How was the rest of the galaxy affected by the Rebel victory at Endor, what was the New Republic, what were Luke's plans for a reformed Jedi Order before throwing in the towel, why are there remnants of the Empire running around, who was Snoke, are he and Kylo Ren Sith Lords and if not, how do their philosophies differ from the Sith?

-Cut it with the jokes. TLJ didn't know when to deliver it's humor properly and went on to a point where it got distracting. IX doesn't need to be full out dark and cynical, there are some great moments of comedy throughout the saga and needs to be written in a way that comes off as more natural and not like a bad sequel to Spaceballs.

-Make proper use of Luke, Lando, Leia, Chewie, and the droids which honor their accomplishments along with giving them all a good send off.

-Give Rey flaws. Luke and Anakin needed to develop their skills overtime and overcome adversity before becoming competent fighters. Rey's skills are just handed to her like candy where she's just good at everything just for the sake of being good at everything. Have her struggle during a fight with the Knights of Ren and maybe survivors from the destruction of Luke's Jedi temple come to her aid, perhaps she runs into Ahsoka Tano who shows her several lightsaber skills, maybe she's doubting herself after a mission against the First Order goes horribly wrong which resulted in the deaths of a few important characters and Luke comes to her as a force ghost to reassure her?

-Fix Finn, Poe, and Rose. Poe doesn't feel like he's got a lot to add to the trilogy seeing that he was originally meant to be killed off in TFA, why not delve into what he's fighting for, what made him join the Resistance, what are his long term goals? Explore Finn's reasons for leaving the First Order along with trying to figure out what his place is in the galaxy. He's been indoctrinated into blindly serving them at a young age so it's going to take more than one atrocity to justify him defecting along with killing several Stormtroopers whom might have been his friends. Maybe he had it worse than the other Stormtroopers or somehow saw how benevolent the New Republic was compared who he was already serving? You could kill off Rose and it wouldn't have any impact on the plot but if you're going to make use of her character, have her contribute in a way that benefits the Resistance and moves the plot forward, don't have her stop the hero from saving the day through self sacrifice. Maybe she's working for the First Order this whole time and that's why they weren't shooting her and Finn while retreating back to the base on Crait.

-Make Kylo Ren a legitimate threat. At this point he's a poor man's version of Dark Helmet, so have Ren be more mature, give him an advantage over the Resistance, maybe he kills one of the main characters, making an example out of an insubordinate Stormtrooper, or even embracing Sith teaching and changing his name (Darth Caedus?)

I have no real plans to watch Episode IX but if they manage to properly honor the saga, this trilogy should be in good hands. I wasn't going to see Bumblebee given my dislike for Michael Bay's take on the Transformers franchise but after hearing how it honored the source material, I was more than willing to check it out and Star Wars needs a course correction more than ever now.

21. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The whooshing sound of the fun being sucked out of Star Wars.

lookameatbag and DarthFixxxer like this.
  22. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    in addition to this:

Planets that look like they are not obvious locations from Earth. Confirmation of PT style planets would be welcome.

23. Less jokes and that the movie is serious like Revenge of the Sith
    And that the conclusion is satisfactory or that it makes sense

Although to be honest with me I think that Episode 9 is not going to be a movie that I'm going to like a lot

Not after what happened with TLJ So I do not have much faith

Wildcatbarry and lookameatbag like this.
  24. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Force Ghost Anakin as the big PT reference.

25. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Delivering some legit Knights of Ren action and legit characters. Not just background murder fodder.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.