main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What would have happened had Anakin let Mace kill Palpatine?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by CrAsHcHaOs, Dec 17, 2016.

1. LadyZ

LadyZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    I'm pretty sure that Mace had no chance to beat Palpy... he was toying with them, it was just a show for Anakin... Palpy knew that the Jedi are coming for him. He could prepare. We are speaking about a straregic mastermind with the ability to see the future. He was toying with the Jedi Order and the Galaxy for decades, he knew Windu absolutely well, even if the whole scene was not fake (it seemed fake, a total set up, and Windu, the most unliked member of the Order in Anakin's eyes... an easy scapegoat), he had to have other means to get out of the situation even if Anakin does nothing just stands there...

2. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I'm guessing Palpy had a plan B.
    Don't know what it was, but he is a sneaky little Sith.
    He would find a way.

3. Iteote

Iteote Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2017
    I would still miss jedis like Agen Kolar, Kit Fisto, Shaak Ti, Depa Bilaba and Plo Koon

4. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    the jedi council were so corrupt obi, qui-gon and yoda were the only ones I would trust, so im sure Anakin felt the same.

christophero30 likes this.
  5. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    The Jedi would have to hide what happened and try to cover up the situation. They would have to dispose of the other 3 dead Jedi and put Palpatine where he could be found and they are not to be blamed. That blue guy would have to become the new chancellor. The Jedi would need to hurry elections to get another chancellor voted in after the blue guy finishes his term. The blue guy should not get emergency powers. Send Anakin away on some mission that will take a while to keep him away from Curoscant.

6. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016

Corrupt?? That's going waaaay to far. I wouldn't call the other jedi masters evil or untrustwothy. The Jedi were still at their core a good order, they weren't hell bent creating death and suffering. They got dragged into the chaos by Palpatine's schemes. I mean without Palps the jedi order would have continued the peacuful rule of the galaxy that had gone on for thousands of years prior.

Jedi Knight Fett and theraphos like this.
  7. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015

their strict way of life and the way they treated Anakin were corrupt imo.

8. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Why would they have to do that?
    The Jedi could simply tell the senate that they had been given evidence that Palpatine was a Sith Lord and thus he was in league with the seps and behind all the troubles of late.
    They went to arrest him and take him into custody in wait for a trial but he resisted arrest violently and killed three Jedi before Mace had to kill him.
    Mace obviously though that he had a case against Palpatine as he went to arrest him. The senate would clearly find out but Mace wasn't worried about that.
    So saying that he tried to arrest Palpatine but that Palpatine used a sith weapon and sith Force powers and resisted arrest and he died in the fight.
    No need to hide that.

Trying to cover it up would almost certainly be worse.
    Palpatine is found dead, with lightsaber wounds on him.
    Some might suspect the Jedi and if they try to play innocent, that could backfire.
    The Jedi need to discredit Palpatine, to expose him. They knew he had allies in the senate, if Palpatine just "dies" those allies could try something if they suspect the Jedi were behind it.
    So better then to have Palpatine be knows for the evil traitor he was.

What would happen with the senate is an open question.
    The news that Palpatine was a sith and a traitor could cast suspicion on his closest co-workers and they could face arrest.
    The war was largely over with the death of Griev so the senate could appoint some emergency council that handled the end of the war while a new chancellor was elected.

No doubt the situation would be messy and could turn quite bad. But I doubt anything would be worse that what actually happened.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

DarthCricketer and DARTHLINK like this.
  9. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016

Are monks and priests corrupt in your opinion? They also have a very stict way of life.

10. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Exactly, why would they need to hide what is clear fact? Palpatine was responsible for the mess the galaxy was in, they tried to arrest him and hold him for questioning and he resisted. Violently, killing several Jedi as he did so. Why would the Jedi need to cover it up? It would just make them look bad in the eyes of the galaxy.

11. Spartan Kobe

Spartan Kobe Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    Mace would've been like "I'VE HAD IT WITH THESE ************ SITH ON THIS ************ PLANET!" He raises his lightsaber to execute Palpy, exposing himself. Palps blasts him with force lightning. The end.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  12. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Had Mace killed Sidious? First of all Anakin would not have turned to the dark side as there would have been no one left to lead him there and be his master/teacher. He might still have lost Padme but would not have turned into Vader. He would have let Obi-Wan convince him how evil Sidious really was and how much better the Republic is off without him. The Jedi would have continued to exist and the Republic restored to democracy, under a different leader, who knows who. So... no Emperor, no Vader, no Empire, no Rebellion, and especially NO OT!! So the OT would have to be declared as non-canon therefore obsolete and every single copy ordered destroyed by Lucas himself. Lucasfilm would have sued anyone still owning any OT movie, and probably sent them to jail for a long time. Of course all the books, action figures, games etc. based on the OT would have been destroyed as well. End of story.:D

13. Rossini18

Rossini18 Jedi Knight

Jan 3, 2016
    A very interesting question- however, Palpatine was probably prepared for that result and would have found some other way of getting Anakin on his side. Perhaps he would have rolled out the window in faked panic, thereby faking his death or simply going on the run from the Jedi until he could sway public sympathy to his side. Or he would have killed Mace before he could strike with his force lightning and then force Anakin to give in to the dark side. This was possible given Anakin's tormenting over Padme. Anakin also could have fought him right then and there and then killed him, thereby bringing balance to the force and changing the fate of the Galaxy forever. With Maul's survival however, the Sith would live on and it's possible that Mas Amedda and the Senate would have turned on the Jedi anyway out of pure political gain.

14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    If Mace kills Palpatine, it largely puts an end to Palpatine's negative influence, and the end of the war would relieve a lot of tension and anxiety in Anakin, as would Anakin's vision failing to come to pass. I think eventually Anakin retires from Jedi life to live with Padme. He'd still have some issues to work through, but without the stress of a galactic war, without the demands of Jedi life, without the need for power, and with his purpose as the Chosen One fulfilled, he'd learn and get better.

15. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    If Mace kills Palpatine, it means the start of an even greater era of political unrest and civil war. I don't think Anakin's visions of Padme stop, because he's still pathologically afraid of losing her, and without Palpatine his only hope of saving her is gone. Nothing good comes from Mace killing Palpatine.

16. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    I have a completely different take on it. I'm not sure Mace could have just killed Palpatine by Anakin's inaction, but only with Anakin's help. And if Anakin had killed Palpatine, the dark cloud resting over the galaxy would have lifted. Anakin's dreams would have ended. It's because of Anakin's choice to save Palpatine that Padme dies, and he was seeing that future.

As far as the Republic, the Jedi would indeed have to take control of the Chancellor's office, and slowly try to rebuild. And they would be able to do this without the influence of the Sith, as they had done for ages prior. Anakin would have brought balance back to the force, as was his purpose.

Maybe Anakin would have died in the act, or maybe he would have lived, and left the order. The impetus of his quest for power would be over.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Jedi Knight Fett and PCCViking like this.
  17. Captaincrunch1967

Captaincrunch1967 Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2017
    I don't post here a lot.

But the galaxy still would have eventually fallen to darkness. If Windu had executed Palpatine over Anakin's objections, it probably would have been the final strike for Anakin and he would have left the Jedi Order and because he was emotional, he would have stewed on that and eventually convinced himself that the Jedi were the cause of a lot of the problems in the galaxy.

Even with Palpatine and the Sith dead, the darkside wouldn't be dormant for long, and with the Jedi weakened by the war, planets devastated ad a senate that was still corrupt the galaxy would have fallen into Chaos, and Anakin would probably see himself as the one who had to save it. He might not be a Sith, but Anakin was a natural in terms of the Darkside, he was predisposed to fall.

It might have taken decades, but eventually Anakin would have found a way to topple the jedi and the galaxy would have welcomed him as a hero and begged him to rule.

18. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    The Jedi becoming the interim dictators of the Republic is portrayed as a very dark potential future, and for good reason. Everything would not have been all wine and roses after that. You can't just assassinate the leader of a democratic republic, declare yourselves its new benevolent rulers, start weeding out senators you deem to be disloyal, and expect everyone to go along with it without issue, and for the resulting government to be stable.

wobbits, Kenneth Morgan and HevyDevy like this.
  19. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    It's happened before, and will happen again. The Jedi took over the senate in a crisis a thousand years earlier, and Luke's Jedi order launched a coup(without Luke's knowledge, but he later give his blessing), arrested the head of state, and took temporary control of the government. In every case, it was a last resort.

In any case, the Jedi wouldn't permanently take over. They would hold an election for a new chancellor. With the war over, they might experience the same victory that palpatine would have, reuniting the galaxy. It's a reversal of Palpatine's plan.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. Herald of Mandos

Herald of Mandos Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 1, 2018
    I'd say it also had the potential for a better outcome than what actually did happen- things could hardly have turned out worse- but still a very risky move, for the reasons you state. I think the situation had got far beyond the point where it could be fixed easily.

21. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    It would be interesting had Anakin thrown down his sword after Mace killed Palpatine, would he leave the Jedi Order?

I'd have like to see him and Padme go to Tatooine and set up home near his step-brother, pretty much isolate himself from the Force, leaving the Senate and the Jedi to return order to the civilised galaxy. In a way he is the person he became in ROTJ but did it 3 films earlier.

22. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    Tatooine?! Have you forgotten.... the sand?! No way. They would go to Naboo, where everything is soft...and smooth;)

23. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Yeah it's kind of sad that Anakin didn't just drop out of the Jedi order and join Padme on Naboo. I guess he was too power hungry. I know it was difficult to leave but the Jedi could have let Anakin leave once the Clone Wars were over. As for Mace's "he's too dangerous to be kept alive" that is very close to Sith reasoning. It may be true, but that doesn't make it right.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    The Jedi Order would have to take over the Senate in order to ensure a peaceful transition.

All those who gain power, are afraid to lose it. Even the Jedi. If they haven't included you in their plot, they soon will.

The Jedi are taking over!

I believe the Jedi Order in effect would have carried out a coup, taking over the Senate and ruling the Republic by martial law, with their command of the Grand Army. The Council would have run affairs.

Now the outcome is either a clean up of the corrupt and reversion to electing a Chancellor, sans emergency powers. Or else, a Jedi junta that become corrupted itself in its power and rules the galaxy. Or even the Jedi deciding that they with the guidance of the Light Side would rule. Essentially an Empire with Jedi oversight.

Once more the Jedi will rule the galaxy! And...peace...we shall have.

Perhaps Windu would see the Jedi ruling as the only way to ensure another politician like Palpatine couldn't plot again.

The galaxy may have become somewhat unstable in the sense that some may resist the Jedi (especially the corrupt). Or some may view it as indeed a Jedi rebellion, though with control of the Army this "resistance" would be rendered mute. As for the ongoing war, I suppose the Separatists would continue to fight (given the Jedi would have no knowledge of Mustafar as their primary base). But without the leadership of the Sith and the loss of Count Dooku/influence of the dark side, perhaps their days would ultimately be numbered.

It would hinge very much on how the public would view the Jedi Order. But also on the scheming politicians on Coruscant and the reaction to the dispensed justice upon Palpatine by Windu's blade. Palpatine had controlled the Senate and the Courts, so they may resist the Jedi Order, either willingly or unknowingly (not knowing Palpatine's true intent and identity).

I do not believe the Jedi of the likes of Windu would allow the crooked people to come back though. In that sense he and Palpatine were of the same mind. The Republic needed to change. The Sith Lord had played an incredible game and outwitted the Jedi. It all came down to this final act, as to who would rule the galaxy.

And Order 66 never comes to be enacted, because no one gives said executive order. The Jedi Generals rule the galaxy, be it temporarily or permanently.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  25. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    They wouldn't form an empire, m'lady. They are Jedi. It's not in their nature
    [​IMG]

Jedi Knight Fett and DarthTalonx like this.