main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What would make you so mad that you would walk out of Episode VIII?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by JediKnightOB1, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    Bowen I don't really want to get into too much controversy with Ghost in the Shell but my point is that misstepping on a sensitive topic, even if well-intentioned, can have a detrimental effect to Hollywood films in terms of publicity and revenue, and Reylo has a lot of sensitive topics that it could misstep easily.

And I don't think Disney would be willingly to risk making Reylo canon over potential critical backlash, box office drop and PR headaches. I certainly hope not because I can already see where it would go, and it's not pretty for me.

2. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I enjoy enjoyI your posts and respect your insider insight.

Perhaps she’s not well-known, but Pacific Rim did $101m domestic. Not great, but it did $309m overseas, $411m total on a $190m budget. She wasn’t the main star, but her role was not small and she’s back for the sequel, though not the main star.

In comparison GITS did $40m/$129m/$169m on a $110m budget. Babel did almost that: $34m/$101m/$135m on a budget of $25m. Then again, it had Brad Pitt, was nominated for 7 Oscars, including best pic one and best supporting actress for Rinko Kikuchi, and won for best music. On the other hand, it was very arty and had an R rating, while GITS was PG-13. True, if GITS had been R, it would have earned less all things being equal.

Both of her films were critical and box office successes—GITS and abject failure in both categories.

Even so, perhaps you’re right she’s be too risky to carry the film. However, it should have been better that this whitewashed Turkey not have bee made. Perhaps a live action Japanese version should have been made instead.

I’m not alone to use the whitewash label. I hope JJ doesn’t whitewash Kimi no Na wa. Both this and GITS are so thoroughly Japanese that transplanting them doesn’t respect the source material. However, I don’t consider Speedracer whitewashing. Though the style of the anime is Japanese, the content never came across to me as being Japanese.

3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I think there's going to be a huge amount of tension between "good" and "original" in this movie. I suspect that Johnson is a better, more talented director than Abrams. He may be a more talented writer. I suspect the story will be more coherent than some of the problematic narrative chaos of TFA (e.g. Starkiller still makes no sense).

But I also worry that the ESB comparisons will (somewhat justifiably) overwhelm the assessment of how good this movie is from both critics and fans. To go all acronym crazy, TLJ is potentially going to be even more ESB-ish than TFA is ANH-ish. And that will kind of stink no matter how good TLJ is. I hope I'm wrong. The trailers don't give any sense that I'm wrong.

It's not going to make anyone walk out, it's not going to affect the box office, but it may hurt the RT score. It may make some fans angry (fangry), not that fan-ger matters at all).

4. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015

I'm with you, only not because of the backlash. My husband, daughter and I re-watched TFA yesterday to get ready for the new movie. This time I brought them in on the main internet theories because now they're very curious with the new movie coming out. Ordinarily they aren't that into it at all. We discussed Rey Skywalker, Rey Solo, and Reylo. I left out Rey Palpatine and Rey Kenobi mainly because I didn't even think of it until after because I never think much of those theories, but neither of them brought it up either. When we got to the bridal carry, my husband was like, "okay well he didn't need to carry her himself." My daughter immediately thought Kylo putting the saber right next to her face in a threatening way after he force froze her wasn't an indication of crush, but it was early. They were open. Then we got to the interrogation. As it went on, my family went from "yeah no" to cracking jokes about it. When Kylo was right up next to Rey's face as she was tied down and miserable, my husband compared it to a real life couple we know that we feel is, let's just say, unhealthy. He was super eked out by it until he just didn't take it seriously anymore. By the end with Kylo force throwing Rey into a tree, Reylo wasn't even a blip on their horizon. They were done with it, uninterested.

Basically, besides just being imo an unpleasant story that I'm not interested in, in hindsight it ruins TFA for me. That's always my fear with mystery boxes anyway. The answer can absolutely ruin things retroactively. It certainly has for me in other franchises. Reylo is one of those instances. If reylo is a thing, everything I felt about TFA is factually wrong, and what I was apparently meant to feel doesn't appeal to me and I don't relate to it. And I know I am not alone in how I initially felt about TFA. It's not just me being stuck in my ways. Plenty of others share my instincts on this one. At the end of the day, It's just not my kind of story. If reylo is a thing, I leave this trilogy to everyone else and I'm happy many will enjoy it.

5. What Girl

What Girl Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    It really depends I guess on how you define Reylo. I recall you telling me that it would be an abusive relationship based mainly on lust. Of course your family wouldn't want to see that.

oncafar likes this.
  6. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Making Rey a cousin or sibling. She stands on her own merit, not who is her daddy.

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  7. cut-of-space

cut-of-space Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2017
    ...For real? That's all it would take for you to walk out on The Last Jedi? [face_plain]
    Even if my least favorite ship of all time (Reylo) became canon, I still wouldn't leave the theater!

Jacques who likes this.
  8. sharasbeys

sharasbeys Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 10, 2016
    I'm not sure I'd walk out of the movie theatre but I'm going to be seriously frustrated and possibly at a breaking point with the ST if Reylo does happen romantically. Allies? Fine. Cousins or siblings? Awesome. But the second it turns romantic, I'm disconnecting from it all. Same for Kylo suddenly becoming the male lead/protagonist/hero figure. Call me a "salty FinnRey" but literally what was set up in TFA was Rey and Finn as co-leads/protagonists and a possible romantic future with them. Johnson will have literally ignored everything set up in TFA in favor of Kylo which sits really poorly with me.

9. Jacques who

Jacques who Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 18, 2017
    I mean, honestly, no matter how you feel about romantic Reylo, you have to admit there is a significant portion of the fandom that as vocally vehemently against it. To be honest, everyone I talk to in the 'real world' with the exception of a single co-worker are incredibly turned off by the idea or completely baffled by it. Take that as you will, but I'm a mostly closeted SW fan in real life. Not even all my good friends and immediately family know I'm on message boards discussing theories because I don't talk about SW with them at all. I'm not going around spouting theories on Rey Skywalker/Solo to people who aren't as invested as I am.

Maybe events in TLJ could change their mind and, of course, we only know so much of the story now, but that's still one a heck of a gamble. I really don't see LFL risking that. I can definitely see strictly platonic, allied Reylo working together and I am openly biased about thinking they're related, so obviously I see things differently than others. But I really don't think romantic Reylo would be particularly well accepted by many people and it could, frankly, alienate quite a few people from the franchise. And I just don't see what Lucasfilm has to gain by risking that.

Personally, romantic Reylo would not make me stop watching the ST or, to stay on topic, walk out of the screening because I am a devoted fan of the OT cast and I want to see their (likely) final films. It probably would, however, vastly deflate my interest in the ST to the point of not really caring anymore. I wouldn't see the films more than once or buy it on DVD, or buy merchandise, etc. I'd be pretty done with SW except for the SW Stories.

10. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015

Huh? No, I never said that reylo "would be... based mainly on lust." Why do you bother engaging with me when you have no interest in trying to understand my actual point of view? That I discuss lust as an inescapable part of romance doesn't mean that their relationship would have to be mainly based on lust. That it would include lust at all repulses me. Romance doesn't exist without lust. I would have to buy into Rey wanting to have sex with Kylo Ren to buy into a romance, and the thought is disturbing to me. It certainly isn't sexy.

As far as my family, we weren't talking about their hypothetical relationship in the future. We were discussing theories about The Force Awakens. That particular theory came off silly and gross to them based on The Force Awakens.

Shadao likes this.
  11. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    I will walk out if Luke pulls a red blade.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. Shadao

Oct 31, 2017

Reylo, as far as the fan artworks go by, has always been portrayed as a romantic ship or with romantic implications. Especially if it's a fandom combination of two character's names (like Link and Zelda being called Zelink or Satoshi and Kasumi being called SatoKasu). As far as I'm concerned, these kinds of names have never been used in a platonic sense; only in romantic sense.

And a romantic implication is something that not a lot of folks will tolerate given Kylo Ren's crimes and stance with the First Order.

13. LionHeartV1

LionHeartV1 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 27, 2014
    Luke walking into a fire.

No reunion between Luke and Leia. (By that time the movie will be done and i would have no choice but to walk out lol.)

14. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016

Could have sworn there was a confirmed report of that reunion happening. I will never forgive those involved though of the original 3 at the same time reunion never happening. I get it, there's themes of things never going the way you want, "this trilogy is not about them," etc, but it's something that I've wanted to see for years, how the three of them interacted with each other after all these years. I'm praying they recorded a flashback together or something.

Jacques who likes this.
  15. prlrocks

prlrocks Jedi Master star 2

Jun 15, 2009
    Reylo would not make me walk about of the theater, but it would ruin Rey and Kylo as characters for me and likely taint the sequel trilogy as a whole. I'm not against villain and hero romances and I adore redemption stories, but the interrogation scene.... it makes me feel really uncomfortable with the idea they'd end up together. It is something that can't be helped and they would have to really wow me down the line to not to find it gross.

16. akaydia

akaydia Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 25, 2015
    If star wars became a Marvel crossover.

17. Darth Gummybear

Darth Gummybear Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2016
    You identified one of the only things that would make me walk out at this point too, other than a burning theatre.

18. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Lost in all of this is that many of us are huge Star Wars fans because we hate garbage like Twilight and don’t care AT ALL to see ANY romance in Star Wars! In fact that’s one of the greatest things so far about Disney era SW: no romance. At all. This is a huge bonus. Luckily there was almost none in SW anyway but go somewhere else if that’s what you like. It’s literally called Star WARS. So no “Reylo” or any of these other cutesy things. I have secondhand embarrassment for the people who came up with the term “ship” as it’s beyond painful. Sounds like a 14-year-old teeny bopper trying to live vicariously through fictional worlds. It’s kind of sad. Rian has already said there’s basically no romance and thank the maker for that. You can go watch almost any other movie for that but as a guy fan I really don’t want my saga taken over by things of trivial interest. I mean hmm big war scenes that affect the galaxy or two people’s petty romance. Let me think, this is a tough one!

19. Jacques who

Jacques who Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 18, 2017
    As a girl fan, I don’t really want romance in SW either. That’s the last reason I’d watch it and the last thing I care about in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAM86, Eugene3, hermiona52 and 4 others like this.
  20. Shadao

Oct 31, 2017
    If there's any love story need for TLJ, it's family love. The love that redeemed Darth Vader. Oh, how magical would it be for that to be central focus of the movie.

7starlight and Jacques who like this.
  21. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Lol you are awesome. You sound just like my GF. :D

The reason I said “as a guy” isn’t because I think girls would all like romance BTW it was just to indicate that’s my view / where I was coming from and that I certainly don’t speak for everyone lol

Jacques who likes this.
  22. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Okay, let me clarify, I wouldn't walk out out but I would find it it exceptionally lame and think it would reduce Rey's worth to just being the spawn of someone else.

By the way, this thread starts with "Whatnwould make YOU.." not "What do other fans approve that you can dislike..."

I abhor the idea of making Rey anyone's long lost anything.

RogueZero and IncessantRamblings like this.
  23. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    So to you Luke is only the son of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader and nothing else? I really dont understand this way of thinking. Rey is already her own character. Saying "oh by the way, her father is Luke" wont change that anymore than a reveal changed Luke being his own character. Theyve done a goid job establishing Rey on her own merts. It's fine if you dont want Rey to be related to anyone, that's fair. But it has nothing to do with her merit as a character either way

Jazz9276 and cut-of-space like this.
  24. Voidgazer

Voidgazer Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 5, 2015
    Reylo wouldn't make me walk out of the theater but it would definitely dampen my enthusiasm for future movies. I don't care about any specific Rey parentage theory or ship so long as that doesn't happen.

25. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    It would be a great role model for girls everywhere - choose the bad boy! Sure he may have daddy issues and be a bit abusive but if he looks cool and has some angst in him he’s exciting! Ok lol yeah I agree Reylo would be the worst thing ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.