main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Whatever Happened to Your Esteemed Rivals' Sites?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Echo Base, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Aldera.net was my go to site but the boards were definitely a little mean spirited from what I remember (maybe it's because I was quite naive at the time having just migrated from the official Starwars.com board which was like wading in blissful ignorance and not so steeped in spoiler politics)

That site just vanished suddenly sometime after AOTC release from what I remember. I vaguely recall a lot of people saying it was a cease and desist but I've heard otherwise since.

2. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Some of us remember the Princess only too well.

3. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

Nah I just meant that a lot of the people from those forums ran away from there and doing better things now.

Echo Base likes this.
  4. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    Maybe for the next Celebration (or maybe it should have been for this one) there should be a panel that's essentially "Class of 99 reunion" and it's a panel with all those old webmasters and forum moderators and community members from when this thing was new.

Although it'd probably just be a big fat awkward mess that would play out a lot like the reunion shows for old seasons of The Real World.

TK327, Echo Base and my kind of scum like this.
  5. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"

6. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I used to know T-Bone decently well from chatting back and forth with him online. Very nice dude and down to earth and always willing to answer questions.

I recall him telling me once he had kids which was why he didn't watch the SW movies as much as he used to, but that was like 10-15 years ago now. But that may partially explain why he isn't as active anymore too.

I recall him having SOME prequel spoilers, but TFN and AICN seemed to be the biggest sites for the accurate spoilers. I also recall sites like jedinet.com and Dark Horizons having alot of SW scoops. Dark Horizons scooped the teaser trailer description for the now legendary TPM teaser trailer that was released in November 1998.

TFN has always been my go to message boards to frequent ever since I figured how the Star Wars online community worked back in the mid to late 1990s.

Anyone remember countingdown.com (or something like that)? They dedicated pages to counting down with clocks and all to a number of big movies. Those guys I believe were some of the guys who made national headlines for camping out for TPM 3 months in advance.

Echo Base likes this.
  7. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Ahhh yes... I definitely remember that site.

The whole camping thing for TPM was something I prefer not to remember though.

8. HugoWanKenobi

HugoWanKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 3, 2013
    How about Supershhhh..... eemmm... forget it.

9. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    I was just starting to follow the SW spoilers back then circa 2003 so T-Bone's site was the main one I lurked on. I might have gone to jedinet.com but I never visited Dark Horizons back in those days.

10. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    I forgot to mention before that one of the worst flame wars in the online science fiction community apparently involved The Prisoner fanclub. Although I am a huge fan of The Prisoner, I have never been involved in the community, so I didn't witness any of it but apparently the fan club, called "Six of One", ripped itself apart and there remain rifts in that community to this very day. :eek: Not bad for a television show that was largely about individualism and freedom of speech for dissenting voices. :(

They say Outpost Gallifrey (a Dr Who forum) can be fairly bad too. I have never joined and you can't view it unless you are a member so I don't know how toxic it really gets.

I have to say this is one of the better forums I have been on. I hope it doesn't get too ugly when we are deluged with newcomers in the last part of this year. I haven't had much to do with them but, from lurking on their threads, the Space: 1999 online community by and large seem like a pleasant, articulate group of people as well.

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  11. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    There used to be a very minor/not overly well known Star Wars fan site that only existed for a few years in the lead up to TPM. It may have even made it to almost when AOTC came out. By the time ROTS was in production, the site no longer existed. It was called swdatabase.com. Anyone remember that site?

A guy named Ryan Fogle used to run it. They never had exclusive scoops or exclusive spoilers on their own. They used to just relay news and scoops from other sites and link to them on their main news page.

They had a section of the site the called "Dark Side Rumors", which was run by a guy named Sameer. Readers would write in with questions and ideas about the movies and Sameer would post them and then also post his own response to each. I used to know those guys, in fact I filled in here and there running the site and Dark Side Rumors when Ryan and Sameer were gone for a day or two from time to time.

Ryan told me once that they used to have a working relationship somehow with Supershadow, and he stole the idea for the Dark Side Rumors from them. If you went to his site, he had a section that was clearly a rip off of it, where he posted "questions" from fans who wrote in and would reveal "spoilers" to the movies as he responses to those questions He even used the same page design and font.

Anyone remember swdatabase.com? That was their connection to Supershadow. LOL

12. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I actually do know T-Bone. He has been quite busy as a musician these days, however, he was recently invited to write some kind of essays on The Empire Strikes Back and Shadows of the Empire. He has some Planet of the Apes material coming out this summer as well.

Echo Base likes this.
  13. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    ... Then again, maybe he is the smart one, given there has been virtually no real news so far. He might be timing things perfectly for when the force Disney marketing machine awakes.

14. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Cool. I hope he gears up for the ST and starts producing some spoilers again at some point. It would be nice if his forum came back to full life as it was quite a good one in its heyday. (TF.NET is fine too, I hasten to add!)

15. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
    At Star Wars Celebration I in Denver, I ran into T'Bone and "Jar Jar" from Jedinet. It was really early before the first day of the convention. We talked spoilers for about a half hour. Later on when the midnight madness thing happened at Toys R Us in Denver, we went with them and got all the toys. On the way back to the airport, they thought my Podracer was a bomb and detained me. True story.

16. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Since we're reminiscing about the past, let's all pay our respects to Star Wars Kid.

[​IMG]

17. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I'm having a hard time processing episode 7. Let alone the fact that Rogue one will film soon, and Episode 8 shortly after that!

I'm freaking out! :eek:

HanSolo29 and Import_Jedi like this.
  18. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I've never posted anywhere but here because I like the strong and consistent moderator control. There are rules, they are enforced, and people follow them because they are enforced. Other message boards and very inconsistent with their enforcement and indeed many mods allow anything-so long as they are in agreement with it. But here, people are made to behave and it forces the conversation to be more cordial.

I used to lurk at MF.com but I don't think I ever made an account.

19. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    The less said about the EU Defense Force the better eh?

LOL I have some fairly ridiculous PM's which I should share...these people are probably long gone now...

I love the idea that the EUDF are dead, their EU in tatters.

20. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I remember hyperspace and the Episode III webcam fondly. I even drew up a floor plan for Padme's veranda set after watching the webcam for hours and hours on in. I sent it in to the main page and later robo_obi made a 3d rendered model. I can't believe that was 12 years ago.

The articles are still up.
    http://www.theforce.net/episode3/story/EP3_Palace_Set_Floor_Plan_62024.asp
    http://www.theforce.net/episode3/story/ep3_more_palace_set_floor_plans_61972.asp

Darth_Zidious likes this.
  21. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    JohYowza.net doesn't seem very active any more either. Used to be huge.

22. ProfessorNutbudder

ProfessorNutbudder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 1, 2003
    I too have fond memories of Hyperspace and watching Pablo's webcam and discussing it here for hours on end. The crazy theories and arguments about what was being filmed in the large pool were some of my favorite moments, made even more funny when the movie finally came out and all of that stuff had been cut from the film!

Of course there was a lot of drama too. I remember one group of members who went by the initials AOE and were "led" by a dude called AgonyEngine. They fancied themselves "cooler" than everybody else(which is really funny on an internet forum about a sci fi movie franchise!) and they all eventually left this site and started their own where they ragged on members of TFN. They screened the registrants for their site and let in more of the "cool" kids and shared spoilers lifted from other sites.
    Ahhh, the good ol' days!

23. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    DARTH CRANE!

Gobi-1 and ProfessorNutbudder like this.
  24. DarthEkkiEkkiPatang

DarthEkkiEkkiPatang Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2015
  25. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    AOE/Phatooine were mostly d-bags. It was that whole post 9-11 America Over Europe crap which was rooted in the 2SA social thread. What a bunch of jag offs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.