main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Whatever Tomorrow Brings (Dear Diary Challenge 2008) -- Completed 12/16

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Ceillean, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jadesabre75

jadesabre75 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 14, 2007
    Why do I have a bad feeling she's gonna get dragged in anyway....Awesome chapter though. The angst was perfect!

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Marrim's on a roller coaster of emotions LOL But I agree with Devon--sounds like Asya's mixing with major league criminal types--who shoot first and don't need a reason :p I know that he's entirely worried about Asya and doesn't need to worry about Marrim on top of it. And yes, chocolate is definitely therapeutic ;) I used to love Neapolitan ice cream as a kid and let all three flavors melt together in the bowl--yum!!!!! :D

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Wow! I got to read two great posts! You've really done a great job of capturing a wide variety of emotions here.

Bravo! =D=

4. iamobiwan1970

iamobiwan1970 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2005
    I'm worried about Merrim. I think she doesn't know how serious things could be with Devon's sister. Maybe she thinks he's being melodramatic! I love the way their relationship moves along. I like his little gestures like the hand in the hair(I see it so clearly, especially as she imagines it as she listens to his voice message).

I'm still worries that he is ready to do something crazy and dangerous. [face_worried]

5. angry_bendu1

angry_bendu1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2007
    This is really great Ceil!:D

Devon + Marrim = [face_love]:*[face_batting]

Or something along those lines...:p

Excellent job, and please pm me when this one is updated![face_peace]

6. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    ?You?re precious to me, Marrim. And that?s why I can?t have you involved in what?s going on.?

That sounds awfully ominous

[face_worried] [face_worried] [face_worried] [face_worried]

I'm glad the evening ended on a happy note, though :)

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

7. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I woke up late the next day and was surprised when I found myself all alone. There was a crumpled piece of flimsy on the table with Devon's scratchy handwriting. It was sometime past one o?clock in the afternoon and I groaned. I wanted to head and visit Ti?ana but I hadn?t expected to sleep so long ? duty called.

I had to be at work at three and I doubted my boss would have appreciated me coming in late after spending a week away.

I grabbed the piece of flimsy and rubbed sleep from my eyes. I would have loved to lay back down and venture back into the world of dreams but life went on, no matter my wishes.

You look like an angel when you sleep and I didn?t dare disturb. I?ll call you later. Take care of yourself and be good.

Overall, the note was incredibly cute and I chuckled. But that last part got me thinking. Be good? I had the feeling he suspected I wanted to interfere with his privacy. I sighed and stretched before heading towards the fresher. Not only did I have to work but I needed to call Asya as well.

I didn?t know her private com link frequency and there was no way I was calling Devon?s apartment. I didn?t know if Asya had already packed her stuff and left and if her brother found out I was snooping around behind his back, I?m quite certain he?d be furious with me.

I sat down at the holonet station in my living quarters, already dressed up in the hideous dark red outfit I was supposed to wear to work. The skirt was too short for my taste, barely reaching my knees and the white blouse was rather? translucent. But whatever it took to earn a little money to live a halfway normal life, I would do. Even if it meant being goggled by old men who tended to not be able to keep their hands to their selves. One of the girls I work with had had a fight with a customer just before Ti?ana had her accident.
    Enforcement had shown up to arrest both of them and hurry them off to the hospital. I was surprised at the woman?s strength.

I paged through the holonet?s local frequency archive and after a few minutes, I had found Asya?s listing. I grabbed my own comlink and took a deep breath before punching in the numbers to reach her. All the while, I couldn?t help but wonder how Devon would react once he found out about me talking to his sister. And there was no doubt in my mind that he would find out.
    ?Hello??

I jumped at the sudden voice and swallowed, ?Uh?hi. Asya??
    ?Yes??
    ?This is Marrim.?

There was a long pause and for a moment I thought she?d cut the connection but then I heard a sigh and something like a grunt, ?What do you want??
    ?I thought we could talk. I mean, I know this is none of my business but ??
    ?No. It?s none of your business. And I?m not happy about the fact that my stupid brother is having you spy on me.?

?No! It?s not like that.? I blurted into the com link, hoping my voice wasn?t as shaky as I felt inside, ?He doesn?t know I?m calling you. Actually, he doesn?t even want me calling you. But I thought that you might need some help.?
    Asya sighed again, ?I don?t really believe you.?

?Please, Asya. Hear me out. How about we go out for a cup of caf tonight? Devon will be working on his ship again, I guess??
    ?As far as I know Devon won?t even be on planet tonight.?
    And that response gave me halt. ?He won?t??

?Nope. He has work to do. Making a run for one of those big companies again.? She gave a mirthless laugh, ?He?ll be back tomorrow morning, I guess. What, didn?t he tell you??
    ?I suppose he forgot to mention it.? And I hoped he did. He didn?t have a reason to keep his job a secret.

?You know what, sure. Let?s have caf tonight. We can talk about everything. Including my brother. I?m sure he?s left out a few details of his life you?re just aching to know about.?
    I didn?t know what to say at that moment. Of course, I was curious about Devon?s life but I wanted him to be the one to tell me on his own time. But I wanted to speak to Asya, as well.
    ?Alright. Do you know where the Palais is??

?The bar in the new district down town.?
    ?Yes. Meet me

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, Ceil!!!!! :_| This is the most heart wrenching update yet!!!! :_| Marrim with Ti'Ana and her wishes that she'd be her old chipper self and talking about Devin and then finding out there's an infection too!!!!! I'm looking forward to her meeting with Asya but I can totally understand if Marrims' just not up for it!!!! Whew!!! Angst overload LOL Hugs!!

9. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Oh no! This is not good... not good at all! Huge [:D] for Marrim.

10. jadesabre75

Nov 14, 2007
    Damn...that made me cry. Why do I have a bad feeling she's going to find out something she doesn't like about her boyfriend too...What's the third strike?

Excellent job my dear! Excellent!

11. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    I sat down on the front steps of the hospital, and lay my head in my hands. My little sister was dying.

:_|

=D=

:_|

12. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    My little sister was dying

:_| :_|

I had so hoped...:_| :_|

Let?s have caf tonight. We can talk about everything

Uh oh!

I'm sensing Marrim may not like everything she hears

[face_worried] [face_worried] [face_worried]

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

13. iamobiwan1970

Aug 23, 2005
    oh, this is so brutally sad! :_| There has to be hope! This is SW afterall! :(

I'm worried about what Devon is up to and what his sister has to share. It just can't be good at all. You did a good job of creating a beautiful personality in Ti'ana. It makes us rally behind her even more.

Good update! =D= [even if it was depressing]

14. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Long post this time. I'm bored tonight. ;)

I was at a loss at that moment; nothing made sense to me ? absolutely nothing. The only thought coursing through my mind was of losing my sister, of again having to face death. I didn?t want to accept it just because the young Doctor said it was so.

Ignoring the looks passers-by were giving me, I got up and closed my eyes. I breathed in the fresh cool air ? and then I ran.
    Away from the hospital, away from crawling death.

My next stop was a public archive belonging to the university. I hurried inside, not paying much thought to the students who gave me curious looks. I sat down in front of a console and began searching for similar medical cases, hoping to find something that would give me hope to save Ti?ana.

But after almost three hours, I gave up. I would find another Doctor to give me a second opinion but otherwise there wasn?t much I could do.
    I slumped into the chair, taking a quick look at the time showing on the screen in front of me. I had completely forgotten work. With a heavy sigh I left the archives and walked to the bar ? my boss wasn?t happy at all but I took his rude words in stride. I didn?t care.
    I explained to him about Ti?ana but he wouldn?t hear it. In fact, he started saying things about her that were uncalled for.

I spoke my mind and I lost my job.

I walked home in a daze. I felt lost and alone.

When I got to the apartment, I kicked my shoes off, bending down to pick them up and throw them against the nearest wall. I ripped off my clothes while hurrying into Ti?ana?s bedroom, opening our closet to retrieve comfortable clothing.

My mind whirled around the day?s events and I decided I didn?t want to be alone. If I stayed alone, I would go insane with worry and most of all hope.
    I sat down before the com console and dialed Devon?s number. Asya had said he was off planet but I hoped she was mistaken. Wouldn?t he have told me if he?d be leaving for more than a day?

After several seconds, I heard his voice over the audio-only channel and [i]my [/i]voice suddenly faltered.
    ?Marrim??

Tears clouded my sight and I felt like someone was choking me. I wanted to say something, I wanted to tell him what had happened at the hospital but I couldn?t.
    ?Marrim? Is everything all right??

I really tried forcing myself to say a word, even if it was only a simple ?hi?. Instead, I slumped to the floor and I cried.

I don?t know how much time had passed. I was still lying on the floor when I heard someone pounding on the front door, slapping against the buzzer over and over again. I didn?t want to move ? I kept staring at the wall, my mind blank.

Whoever it was could come back later, I thought.

The next thing I felt was someone?s hands running over my arms and picking me up off the floor. Still I stared, not wanting to acknowledge whoever was there. Maybe it was a subconscious thing, but I felt it was Devon. Distantly I remember asking myself how he?d gotten into my apartment?

His voice seemed far away, as he laid me onto something soft. The sofa maybe? Or Ti?ana?s bed?

My heart lurched and I tried feeling my way around. If it was indeed Ti?ana?s room, I needed to get out. Her bed would still smell of her, her room would still feel of her ?
    ?Marrim!?

I snapped my head around and blinked a few times until I could make sense out of the man leaning over me. I was still in the living area, thank the Gods.
    His blue eyes were narrowed and there were small lines on his forehead. His hands cupped my face and I felt him moving his thumbs back and forth, as if caressing.
    I watched him as he watched me and without a conscious thought, I jerked upward and slung my arms around him. I couldn?t stop the tears and I was grateful that he said nothing ? he simply held me.

?Asya said you were leaving today.? I said after what seemed like hours. I kept my voice low; I was sprawled half way across his lap and I felt his fingers move along my spine.

?My sister talks too much.? He said acidly, ?And it?s not for a

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  16. jadesabre75

Nov 14, 2007
    I LOVE this story!!! Even though I want to smack Devon right now. Gah! She doesn't need this...Great update Ceillean!!! Cant' wait for more!

17. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Believe it or not, I think this is a good thing that they're arguing. It needs to come out in the open so they can deal with it. Can't wait to see what happens next!

18. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    I knew Marrim was going to hear something she didn't like.

Though I hope Asya is wrong about her brother being involved in anything illegal.

That is the last thing Marrim needs.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

19. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I've gotten way behind on reviewing, but I am loving this story!! [face_love]

Great job! =D= (I'll try and be better about reviewing!! ;) )

20. angry_bendu1

angry_bendu1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2007
    Wow, Devon's starting to freak me out just a little bit.[face_worried]

Great post![:D]

21. iamobiwan1970

Aug 23, 2005
    This is a wonderful character driven story (which i enjoy) so here is my take on what I see happening so far:

Devon has always had two sides to him. He's really a good guy at heart (especially with kids it seems) but he does shady things for his work. His sister seems like a bratty jealous teen and is not to be trusted. I understand his anger at Marrim, she has no clue what the dynamic is between them....however! Devon really needs to start sharing if he is to be a truly good friend/lover to Marrim. Of course, it's possible he knows that the less Marrim knows, the safer she will be. [face_thinking]

Marrim really shouldn't be with Devon, but she has no one at this time and her sister is likely to die and fully leave her alone, so in a way she is desparate. That's understanding, and she likes to see the good in people, so she wants to believe that Devon's on the up and up. And he is always good to her (yeh, so he is angry in that last scene, one could say it is justified since Marrim is prying too much).

Now I really do want to know what Devon will be up to on this run of his!

Excellent update! =D=

22. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Arguing is necessarily a bad thing, it can be very helpful and constructive. Loving this story! =D=

23. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001

Devon didn?t have a chance to answer. On the one hand, I was glad but on the other hand, I was frozen stiff, my legs wanting to move but my mind refusing to let them. My eyes darted to the comm console, the screen suddenly lit with the crest of the hospital. I knew it was too late for this to be a call with good news about Ti?ana. I trembled because I knew something was wrong.

The bleep bleep of the console grew louder and slowly my brain registered what was going on. I glanced at Devon who seemed to know exactly what was going through my mind. The discussion topic about Asya was forgotten for the time being?

?Do you want me to answer?? Devon asked softly and I could only nod my head. Tears clouded my vision as he walked forward and pressed the receiving button.
    Instead of a small hologram, the screen flickered to life, showing an ashen Doctor Toyo. For a second his brows drew together on his forehead but then he saw me standing in the background and took a breath, ?You should hurry to see your sister, Miss Laidli. There?s nothing more we can do for her.?
    Devon nodded and told the Doctor we?d be there as soon as possible ? I couldn?t speak. I couldn?t do anything except repeat the Doctor?s words in my mind, over and over and over again.

He came towards me and I snapped out of this strange daze when his hands touched my shoulders, ?We need to hurry, Marrim.? He whispered and I nodded.
    Yes, I needed to hurry to say good-bye to my sister?

Devon helped me into his groundcar and we sped to the hospital ? I didn?t say a single word throughout the drive. I listened to the quiet sounds of the engines, to the way the wind whistled around us. I listened to Devon operating the car by pressing down on the pedals with his foot or activating the lights by pressing down on a button on the dashboard. He sighed and turned his head towards me and I was grateful when I felt him take my hand in his, squeezing slightly. Maybe it was to reassure me, maybe to let me know that he would be with me every step of the way.

I was grateful either way.

It didn?t take us long to arrive at the hospital but as the building loomed in front of us, I felt my body start to shake. I could hardly keep my hands still as I realized what was about to happen.

I stepped out of the groundcar and forced myself to walk, knowing Devon was right beside me. It felt like ages walking down the dim lit corridors, the scent of medicine and disinfectant in the air, further spurning my nervousness.

An elderly woman sat at the reception, a bright smile on her face as we approached her. How could anyone be happy when someone was dying right under their noses?
    It was an irrational behavior but I didn?t want to talk with her. She had the nerve to smile at me when my sister was dying? Devon stepped up and told her what she needed to know and before I knew it, Devon was pulling me down the hallway towards a lift to the third floor of the hospital. They had moved Ti?ana into a different room ? for children, I noticed once I stepped inside. The walls were decorated with pictures of various teddy bears and the newest holo cartoon heroes from the net. Ti?ana would have loved this room had she been able to see it. Everything was yellow and pink, her favorite colors.

My breath caught in my throat as I saw her lying there on a new and larger bed. Her dark hair was fanned out on the white pillow, her skin pale and ashen. It looked like she was sleeping and for just a moment I wanted to pretend she was. I wanted to pretend she would wake up soon and the last few weeks had only been a bad dream. I wanted to pretend I could hold her in my arms and we could laugh and make fun of each other the way we used to.
    I wanted to pretend that none of this had ever happened.

I walked forward, holding my breath and sat down on the bed next to her. I reached out to grab her hand ? her skin was ice cold and I could hear her ragged breathing. The machines around her beeped in a steady rhythm but here and there I could hear a beep that didn?t belong ? and the

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, Ceill--that was the SADDEST thing!!! :( Poor Marrim!!!!!!

25. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    :_| :_| :_| That's so heartbreaking. [:D] for Marrim.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.