main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What's in the book? Journal of the Whills?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by One Quarter Portion, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012

Or should that be Anakin, Luke and Rey and the descendants only fulfil what was prophesized but only after a downfall? The prophesized one is not Anakin but the grandchild of the one created by the Force...Anakin?

starocean90 likes this.
  2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Thought this video would shaken things up a bit

3. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I think the problem is that you can't go around Anakin.
    Lucas, Filoni, Pablo and others have all said the prophecy is about Anakin.
    what you can do is maybe an extension or residual of it?

Something like imagine that reads that the Chosen One's descendants will continue his work.

Actually in canon there is already an example of this
    Look at TCW again, in the Yoda Arc, the Force Priestess give Yoda the "gift" which is manifest after death. They talk about how Yoda's destiny has already been decided. One of them says that Yoda is being given this gift because "he will teach one (Luke) that will save the Universe from The Great Imbalance."

and we know that the prophecy talks about balance, so does the trailer for TLJ.

Django Fett likes this.
  4. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Balance has been a key word since the very opening of TFA with Lor San Tekka roughly outlining the prophecy about the Jedi bringing balance back to the galaxy. May be everyone has totally overlooked the obvious because they were to engrossed with everything else going on?

Scapro Tyler and starocean90 like this.
  5. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
    The Whills are talked about here briefly at around 16:46

So if this book is the Journal of the Whills it would make sense. Some people in their new outlandish Snoke theories think he might be a fallen Whill. And as Pablo said whether the Shaman is connected too the Force Priestesses from Clone Wars we don't know. I think he still taught Qui-Gon some things and guided him too the Force Priestesses. I'd cast either Timothy Dalton or Gary Oldman as the Shaman personally (John Hurt was another choice but his passing prevents this now) if we ever saw him in a film like the potential Obi-Wan spin off or even a Qui-Gon spin off. Maybe a Qui-Gon novel or something.

I'm honestly liking all this mythology stuff they are bringing up now in this new trilogy and it's potentially the thing that could turn me around and say this has potential to be pretty interesting. I didn't hate the Force Awakens by any means I thought it was fun but at the end of the day we're only left with so much that the Last Jedi could answer and maybe it'll change that viewing experience.

But the wider connections to Force through these trees, Ach-To, temples (maybe they might go back to Vader's castle. I would like to see a parallel journey of Snoke and Kylo going there to find Dark Side secrets while Luke and Rey search for Jedi secrets) the possible Journal and just how it's presented I think is interesting. "It's so much bigger" is Luke's line and that does make you wonder more about the Force and what it could mean without giving you everything. I think this film could answer some things we've wondered about the Force for awhile but there's still more they could answer another day. One day they will probably make a Force Bible which I guess is the Journal and it'll be the size of the actual Bible.

Balance I think is the key word. My feeling about Rey and Kylo and how they handle the Force is that there are these two powers that are uncontrolled and need to be honed. When they fight their powers are at first not there because they need to be in tune. It's only when Rey starts to get a handle on the Force that she can beat Kylo albeit just about. Kylo's dark power is falling down in his eyes the more he becomes unstable but he feels it's because of the light. When Rey first discovers her abilities at least is aware of what they are (like Ezra she probably had a possible awareness she just didn't know it was the Force that she possessed) she is given these visions she can't understand and rather than embrace them she's horrified by this power and what she saw. She has the powers of gods potentially and if some has that power and goes too far with it what could that mean for them?

But anyway back to the Journal yeah I think that book is the Journal and if it isn't then it's connected.

episodenone likes this.
  6. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    balance talk has been present ever since the PT.
    Rebels S4 also mentions balance,
    in TCW, the Force Priestsess says this to Yoda

like you said it's even mentioned by Tekka in TFA.
    the interesting thing is that the mention of balance has always been linked to the Jedi. If they find something at the First Temple, then yet again a link to the Jedi.

what do you mean by?

Django Fett likes this.
  7. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
    So if the Whills were potentially the Force equivalent of Gods that maybe people worshipped years ago but forgot about what would the Dark Side equivalent be? In the way people worship the Devil and other demons of evil is there a Force of Darkness on the level of the Whills that could influence the Sith and maybe be someone that Kylo turns to for guidance in the way Luke and Rey might be turning to the teachings of the Whills?

That's what maybe they could have been going for in the deleted scene of the Son speaking to Revan and Bane's Force Ghosts but Lucas changed that since Sith can't become one with the Force. Maybe it could have been the Dark Side version of the Whills consulting him but they appear in the forms of Revan and Bane as something possibly familiar?

I don't know. Pablo says in that video the Whills are going to be talked more about in the future and whether they connected too the Force Priestesses would be explored possibly. And also other powerful Force users like the Father and his family and the Bendu what do they know about them? Hopefully this Journal if it is the Journal of the Whills is the first of many possible potentially interesting glimpses to come.

8. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I have to say that the books are the element from TLJ I'm looking most forward to. I already suspected that Luke was searching for ancient Jedi lore, but that this lore would appear as books rather than holocrons is a pleasant surprise.
    Any guesses how old the books could be? Maybe they are from different eras? In that case however I believe that the book that is touched by the glove is the most ancient of them.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  9. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012

That the prophecy is still to be fulfilled, that the Skywalker line and the prophecy are entwined and everybody has been so keen to see everything else such as the big three returning and all the new elements an older theme that runs through the whole saga has been overlooked.

starocean90 likes this.
  10. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    something to remember, Lucas has stated before that Luke had the same potential in the force as Anakin. But that Anakin could never reach because of his Vader suit ruined his potential.

it's interesting because if Luke had the same potential as Anakin, does this mean that the prophecy could extend to Anakin's descendants? You have as I posted above an example of the Force Priestesses saying that Yoda will train one will be save the galaxy from a great imbalance. She's obviously talking about Luke. So already that seems to extend in some shape.

now you have Rey seemingly causing a turbulence in the Cosmic Force/Awakening that had been dormant. And based on Snoke's reaction to all of it. He seems a bit too keen on getting her.

what do you think of this quote that supposedly comes from the Visual Encyclopedia?
    so as you said it's a theme that seems to run through the entire Saga.

Darth Smurf and Django Fett like this.
  11. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I would go with.. The Whills are Protectors of The Force and they documented their travels and experiences in a Journal for future generations to learn from. Basically.. historians or prophets. The Journal is basically their Bible written by many people.

People seem to be conflating The Whills with The Jedi. They need to be two different things.

The Jedi were a Galactic Police Force that used The Force to enforce law, while allowing pure evil to flourish(buying or betting on slaves on Tatooine, separating them from their mothers to avoid attachments), so long as the overall peace was kept. It ended up killing them.

12. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Certainly you can draw similarities between Rey and Snoke's reaction to Jesus and King Herod, if Kylo destroying Luke's temple was an attempt to kill Rey. Herod after he fails to kill Jesus as a child dies before Jesus can gain power, Snoke lives on and then tries to persuade Rey to join him at the point where she's about to gain power...

Revanfan1 and starocean90 like this.
  13. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    To be honest, the first time I watched the trailer, it didn't look to me like a bookshelf so much as a seat carved from wood.

Jonipoon likes this.
  14. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    With the revelation of actual books, in the Star Wars Canon. I have come to the conclusion that the Whills were a prototype of the Jedi order; that existed before technology was present in the Star Wars Galaxy. A Jedi prototype, in that they were not the Guardians of Peace and Justice. But were instead; Force Users, that stayed out of the affairs of the Galaxy at large. They had no weapons; believing that the the Force was the only protection they needed. Then technology came about. And the Whills were eventually slaughtered, by outsiders who lusted for war, after weaponizing technology. As a result, The Original Jedi Order was founded, by a group of Force Users, who were devoted to the Whills. The difference being, that the Jedi believed they needed to learn to defend themselves, and the Galaxy from Evil. This meant embracing technology, as well as nature. Thus, the lightsaber was invented.

It would be cool if there was a Scene in Episode VIII; where Luke tells Rey about the downfall of the Whills, and the founding of the Jedi. A Scene similar to one where Obi-Wan tells Luke about the Jedi, and their downfall, when the Dark Times came. But only more detailed. :)

15. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

I like this idea as well. It would certainly show the original/early Jedi as leading a far more modest, perhaps almost monastic, existence. By the end of Revenge of The Sith, it's clear that Yoda knows that he and the Jedi Order he headed had failed. Contrast the Jedi Temple on Coruscant to the primitive structure on Ach-To, for instance.

16. TheManFromMortis

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

Something that occurred to me whilst thinking about this is whether Luke is aware of the prophecy of the "Chosen One" and, if he is, whether he is aware that his own father was deemed to be the "Chosen One" mentioned in the prophecy ... what do you think? Also, is Luke actually the "Chosen One" or could it be Rey (not necessarily as a reincarnation of Anakin)?

Darth Mikey likes this.
  17. TheManFromMortis

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

Your last point is something that I've considered to be a possibility, namely that Anakin might have been the "Chosen One" in so far that he fulfilled his destiny by fathering the one who would truly bring balance to the Force - i.e. Luke - or that Luke himself (or Rey) is the "Chosen One".

18. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I think the Journal is actually a novel..."The Winds of Winter" hence why Luke is stuck on the inland by himself since George R.R. Martin will not come out with the much anticipated final novel to Game of Thrones until after the TV show ends. Luke is stuck guarding it until the show finale, then he can take off and save the galaxy. :D

19. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015

I personally subscribe to the theory that the Prophecy was,in fact, misread. I know Lucas' intent was that Anakin brought Balance by destroying the Sith at the end of Jedi. But that was LUCAS' vision. It may no longer apply.

I think we're going to find out that Anakin DIDN'T bring true Balance to the Force. Because we're going to find out that what the PT Jedi thought was Balance, wasn't the true intent. That it got muddled over the centuries, and indeed was misread. That's why the Galaxy is still in chaos, still not in harmony. And Luke is now tasked with trying to fix it,and await the arrival of the new Chosen One.

DarthIshyZ and Master of None like this.
  20. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    But Anakin did bring balance....at that point in time. The Prophecy was a vision of a single incident in the future. That doesn't mean that evil could never rear its ugly head again, since Anakin's act did not prevent future Dark Side users from coming forth, because the Dark Side, itself, still exists, and thus will always remain a potential threat for any user.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  21. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I think Yoda hit the nail on the head when he said, 'A prophecy that was misread could've been (or whatever). Too much of one or too much of the other is what's bad for harmony in the Force it seems. If you think about it, Anakin was the embodiment of a Force grey area. Caught between the two extremes, he lacked the balanced guiding Force Master to help him fully understand and control his emotions.
    Anger for example, is a powerful emotion that can be used to empower you against evil. As to Fight fire with fire. And only the weak of mind will find themselves unable to control its power and allure

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  22. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Most "prophecies" in stories have to have some ambiguity, because otherwise it removes all suspense. Lucas did things like this many times in the Saga. Off the top of my head, there's the mention of the "other".

Mungo Baobab and DarthIshyZ like this.
  23. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    I propose that the "story" and elements about the Prophecy, The nature of the force, the Skywalkers, etc. have been in constant evolution since its creation in the early 70's drafts.

Trying to make a cohesive narrative based on past comments by Lucas, other writers, movies, Tv series, books in EU and non-EU, legends or whathaveyou, is really an endeavor fraught with problems.

As whatever was said in the past can be re-used, re-purposes or completely re-imagined on the whims of the story group, the new writers and new directors. At different points in time, the prophecy meant different things to GL, and Star Wars. The Journal also meant different things. What is the current version I guess we'll learn more details soon enough after EPVIII finishes editing.

24. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    I would think the Journal of the Whills must be an ancient book of prophecies. We shouldn't forget that along with the original script title, the Journal was also mentioned in the original Star Wars novel. "They were in the wrong place at the wrong time, naturally they became heroes." - Leia Organa taken from the Journal of the Whills. If they don't make it a book of prophecies, then that quote makes no sense. It would be weird to contradict the only canon mention of the Journal prior to the reset.

25. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    TBH, I hope no one gets the bright idea of making an actual "Journal of the Whills." It would probably sell well, but the writer would be as familiar with philosophy as Nitsche and SW Lore as Pablo and prophecy as Nostradomas. It would probably be a critical flop if all three aren't spot on.