main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's on the telly?

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by Lord-Tice, Oct 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    I?ve had this idea on the brew for a while, and with the film club thread beginning to breach into the TV medium, I felt it was high time we had a TV thread in the London forum too :D

Feel free to talk about your favourite TV shows, whether they be soaps, dramas, documentaries, reality programmes etc. Present day or blasts from the past!! Preview the coming week and tell us what you think is worth watching.

If it?s on the telly then you can discuss it here :)

2. Whim_of_the_Whills

Whim_of_the_Whills Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2006
    Eureka :D

Don't ask me why I like it, but it's somewhat quirky and I've found it to be addictive.

Ooh, and new series of the Stargates starts Wednesday :D

I love them both. Took me a while to appreciate Atlantis but has grown on me. I never would have thought the film I saw many many years ago would have become such a legend.

3. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Here are some of my weekly highlights to kick start things:

The Indestructibles, BBC3 Monday?s @ 8:00pm - A new series which started last week I believe. It?s crude but good fun, a bit like Brainiac but with nutters, or Jack Ass with a bit of useful science thrown in.

Spooks, BBC1 Monday?s @ 9:00pm - At the moment one of the best things on TV, let alone the BBC. Extremely well made and written and even though it goes at 100 mph most of the time, it?s a great example of how modern-day tv making can be used to great effect (take note whoever edits Robin Hood :p ).

Hells Kitchen USA, itv2 Monday?s @ 9:00pm - Hells Kitchen just ain?t the same without Mr.Ramsey, so thankfully he is present for the most recent US edition and continues not to take any prisoners. I believe it?s also repeated late Friday night on itv1.

Monkey Business, Animal Planet Tuesday's @ 8:00pm - A special mention for this show, if you have cable/satellite. This is an on-going fly-on-the-wall type programme that?s based at the Ape Rescue centre Monkey World down in Dorset. A great programme that?s entertaining, factual, funny, sad and everything else. They do a great job!!

Extras, BBC2 Thursday @ 9:00pm - Easily the best thing on TV right now and the best comedy. I feared this second series wouldn?t be as good as the first, but it?s far superior imo.

Have I got News for You, BBC1 Friday @ 9:00pm - The original and best panel quiz show is back and always a good laugh.....assuming you know about politics and topical news.

Coming soon....
    Torchwood, BBC3 Sunday?s @ 9:00pm - This looks great. Loving the big bus adverts too, very Blade Runner-esque especially with that gun. Should make up for the poor Robin Hood series.

4. Kassy

Kassy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2005
    Well hopefully the STAR WARS TV series soon! :)

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    QI is great, I do enjoy it a lot.

Top Gear is a laugh when it's on.

Recently I've watched the BBC adaptation of Jane Eyre. I thought it was really good. I know they left big bits out, but it was well done & well acted. I hope they do some more adaptations if Bleak House and this were so good.

Also been watching the new Robin Hood, that is interesting. Not perfect, and has flaws, but good entertainment.

6. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    despite the seemingly endless re-runs -morning,noon and night- my wife and i still laugh at 'friends'... even though i find myself despising the cast members.
    again,despite the constant commercial breaks and those two 118 morons,i absolutely love 'lost'... great plot and characters...
    did anyone catch 'prime suspect'?
    christ on a bike,that helen mirren is unbelievable! she must be about a hundred and four and still looks better than the sugarbabechavs...
    that's about it.
    everything else we catch on dvd.

7. HunkyEvil

HunkyEvil Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2006
    Helen Mirren doesn't look nice in this if you ask me, but different strokes.

I agree, Extras is the best thing on at the minute. That is one of the only 2 things I switch the telly on for these days. The other is American football but that's a different topic.

What about Prison Break? I can't stress enough how much I loved the first season and I'm a little concerned because the second one isn't actually set in a prison, which was one of the things I loved about it. Does anyone know when it starts?

Also, anyone recommending anything like 24, CSI Miami or anything?

8. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I haven't watched 24 since the BBC stopped showing it after series.

9. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    helen mirren looks especially good in that pic.

".... me,your majesty!"

no points to whoever knows what film that's a quote from.

10. clonetrooper1

clonetrooper1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2005
    What's on the telly?

nothing

11. Leia-Organa

Leia-Organa Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2005
    i like to downlaod the latest episodes of "lost" as they are released in the USA :)
    Watched the newest one last night. Gripping! And weird... best TV show since X-files and Twin Peaks.
    Another good one is "Dead like me" about a girl that comes back from death as a grim reaper, its all about her reaping expereinces - very cool indeed, dont know if its on the TV over here in the UK yet, but its definetely downloadable!!

12. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    yeah, I get my Lost from the US. Its sooooooooooooo good.
    I want some sort of Buffyesc program back on- I miss that sorta stuff.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It is a shame the BBC doesn't air shows like The Fresh Prince at the 6:20 or 6:45 slot anymore.

I miss the shows that used to go in that slot - Star Trek, Sliders, Quantum Leap, Robot Wars, Time Commanders, Buffy etc

That was quality TV.

14. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    ...-he said,ironically.
    i hope richie was being ironic.

15. Ellbobin

Jan 30, 2004
    yeah, back in the day when the Simpsons had no breaks & Robots fought, insted of doing stupid courses.

16. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    You don't like any of those shows?

17. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    no.

buffy was okay,if a little 'up-its-own-arse' kind of a thing.
    it was all a little bit,"ooh,look at us... we're sooo smart and we all talk kooky!"

18. HunkyEvil

HunkyEvil Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2006
    Someone else watched Time Commanders?! Sweet

19. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    I'd recommend Supernatural on ITV (one of the ITV channels not sure which)

First season is over now, but it's out on DVD so you could rent it to see what it's like. Second season is on in the states at the moment. Great show.

20. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Yeah, it was fun.
    Taught viewers about verious military leaders and different types of soldier, and was also entertaining.

I always laughed at those who made really simple mistakes and then got slaughtered.

21. Fleeboy

Fleeboy Jedi Youngling star 2

May 6, 2001
    i've got a love-hate relationship going with Lost. Mostly because I've been watching it since day 1 and follow it quite avidly, so I have certain expectations of the show. And a lot of times I feel there isn't enough plot development, and the writers have this annoying habit of raising more questions than answering them. They might introduce something interesting in one episode and then totally abandon it. Nonetheless, it still has me hooked and I'm glad to see the start of Season 3 is better written than the first few episodes of Season 2.

SO, the TV shows I religiously follow are Smallville, Lost, Battlestar Galactica, South Park and the newly added Heroes. I shalt not mention how I get them, being as we don't pick them up in our tube here (except for Lost which is like 10 years late).

22. Ellbobin

Jan 30, 2004
    The thing is with Lost the creators wanted to do 2 season, the network wants (rumor has it) 5,7,9, a movie who knows! So they're stretching what they have. The most recent episode is awesome tho and Sky has just bought season 3 over here so all the Channel 4 lovers better get ready to pay for sky.

23. Fleeboy

May 6, 2001
    yeah, last Wednesday's episode was good. The nice thing about season 3 is that they are progressing the plot a lot better now in comparison to season 2. You don't know where it's going to go, BUT atleast you can see that it's going somewhere.

So far no episodes like where the only thing that happens is Sun losing her wedding ring and then finding it at the end.

24. Ellbobin

Jan 30, 2004
    I feel they need episodes like that to
    a- show that its not all action, theres some normal things as well
    b- to link in with the back story they want to tell.

But I'm abit of a Fan Boy so...

25. Fleeboy

May 6, 2001
    good point. But I think they've well established this already.

It's like every episode they introduce new questions and they never answer them. What's up with the black swarm? What's up with the magic numbers that Hurley is so afraid of? And the little black kid who was so "special", what's up with him? What's kate been running away from since she was a kid? What was all that about Claire's kid and the Others kidnapping her and probably "doing stuff" to her baby? And Boon was carping during the whole Season 1 how his sister was so special, and then they both died before that question was ever answered. I can go on and on... These questions were all raised during season 1 and they still haven't answered a single one yet. I'm all for leaving mystery for future espisodes, but it would be kinda lame if suddenly in season (lets say) 4 they start to answer all these questions that happened 4 seasons ago. They shouldn't leave so much time inbetween the questions and the answers or the viewers will lose track.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.