main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What's the best and worst special effects in the Original Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Smellmet, Apr 27, 2017.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The truly unforgivable bit in all of it is that Dermot Crowley is Irish. He could have grown that beard in 3 hours had they asked him to.

Darth__Lobot and Bor Mullet like this.
  2. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020
    Best for me is the battle of yavin because it was the first time we saw a battle of this scale. Endor may have been bigger but Yavin was the more groundbreaking.

Worse. The Rancor pit. Even in the Special edition the rancor is clearly digitally added especially when Luke runs past.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    Wu Wei Jedi and Sarge like this.
  3. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    BEST ANH; the opening shot of the star destroyer, and the Falcon's battle with the TIE fighters (possibly the best special effects sequence ever put on film). WORST ANH; the Death Star explosion. Even at the time, I was underwhelmed. BEST ESB; the long shot of the rebel soldiers retreating, with the walkers advancing in the background, and the entire sequence of Yoda using the force to lift the X-wing out of the swamp. The puppet work in that scene is fantastic. WORST ESB; some of the stop motion work on the tauntauns, while well done for what it is, simply looks fake. BEST ROTJ; the opening sequence with the star destroyers and the Death Star (even though the shuttle doesn't look like it belongs in a Star Wars movie). WORST ROTJ; the sailbarge explosion, and the entire speeder bike sequence (except for a few long shots), were very poorly done. ROTJ, in my opinion, has some of the worst effects in the series.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The tauntauns look great. Love that slightly unsettling stop motion movement.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Good call. The tauntaun movement takes me out of the moment when I watch ESB these days. Distractingly fake for my tastes.

Count Yubnub and CampOfSorgan like this.
  6. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    Fake yes, but the stop motion work was still top notch. If that scene had been done twenty years earlier, it would have been truly remarkable.

7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Stop motion works because it has tangibility. Feels like it’s there, in camera, in the scene (because it is). I prefer that, and the jerky motion of stop motion puppets, to more weightless digital creatures with smoother movements (though nowadays, ILM at its best creates completely tangible CGI, like K2SO. To this day, the tauntauns and AT-ATs in ESB are my favorite creature/ vehicle effects in the saga. Followed by the sea cow Luke milks on Ahch-to.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    Nate787 likes this.
  8. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    I gotta say the worst effects shot is the landspeeder shot where they smudged the area underneath it as it drives through Mos Eisley. Why they didn't just film the scene without showing the mirrored part covering the wheels is beyond me? And trying to smudge out the area after-the-fact is embarrassing.

The stuff that still astounds me is the Falcon racing out of the DSII as the flames follow it.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    Darth__Lobot and gezvader28 like this.
  9. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    "In camera" means that the trick is done in front of the camera; that the effect is on the original negative. Stop motion miniatures are composited in, after shooting. Stop motion effects are by definition not in camera.

10. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Not always, depending on whether the effect is on an isolated sound stage. Given the way the Tauntauns and walkers are used in ESB (and ROTJ), they're usually on miniature sets in addition to compositing for other shots:
    [​IMG]

Though it looks like the Tauntauns were indeed composited in, though you could say all the aspects on screen were 'in-camera', even if not all the same camera :p
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    Bor Mullet and Count Yubnub like this.
  11. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Yeah, I stand corrected re: the AT-ATs. Skimming, I thought the point was specifically about the tauntauns, but the above poster does mention the walkers as well.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  12. Jedi_Prophet77

Jedi_Prophet77 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2017
    Interesting question.

Best: The swarm of TIE fighters attacking the Falcon in ROTJ with the Death Star in the background as the camera tilts slightly. Super complex for barely a second of screen time.

Worst: Luke's lightsaber when practicing on the Falcon.

Darth__Lobot, CampOfSorgan and Sarge like this.
  13. Wu Wei Jedi

Wu Wei Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 8, 2021
    Best: Everything in space.
    Worst: Rancor. SE CGI.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  14. Wu Wei Jedi

Nov 8, 2021
    To be honest all special effects are dated. The PT, OT and CW should have been put to legends and the PT and OT should have been remade eradicating all its flaws and inconsistencies.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I just did a quick search on youtube, and to my surprise I didn't find a single fan video that improves the crash of the Executor SSD into the DS2. That's a moment that could use a little - or a lot - more attention to detail.

16. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    It shouldn't have exploded on impact. It should have stuck firmly upright in the surface of the Death Star, vibrated from side to side, and made a loud boing noise.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    Darth__Lobot, Sarge and BlackRanger like this.
  17. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    wasn't it improved for the SE?

18. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    There were no improvements in the special editions, only changes.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  19. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    A more spectacular end for the Executor could have had it torn apart in the Death Star's gravitational field. I'm not sure if the Death Star would actually have much of a gravitational field, or if it did, that something like this could even happen, but it would have been visually impressive to see that ship tilt, and twist and have all of that cityscape on top ripped away as it was pulled down to the surface.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I was thinking more along the lines of the 2 SD's that collided in R1. That was an impressive collision.

21. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    But there was nothing in the battle big enough to put a dent in the Executor...except an A-wing, of course.

Sarge likes this.
  22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The novelization does have the Executor collide with other ships on its way to collision with the DS2.

"Firing proton torpedoes," Green Wing advised.
    The bridge was hit, with kaleidoscopic results. A rapid chain reaction got set off, from power station to power station along the middle third of the huge Destroyer, producing a dazzling rainbow of explosions that buckled the ship at right angles, and started it spinning like a pinwheel toward the Death Star.
    The first bridge explosion took Green Leader with it; the subsequent uncontrolled joyride snagged ten more fighters, two cruisers, and an ordnance vessel. By the time the whole exothermic conglomerate finally crashed into the side of the Death Star, the impact was momentous enough to actually jolt the battle station, setting off internal explosions and thunderings all through its network of reactors, munitions, and halls.

Sarge and BlueYogurt like this.
  23. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    The initial explosions from the Executor bridge look great.
    [​IMG]
    Then we pull back and it's terrible.
    [​IMG]
    What even is that? It's not to scale.
    And then the whole collision looks terrible. The flames from the Executor are now coming from the engines and the bridge. It seems to hit a massive fuel tank under the Death Star surface that explodes. And the explosion reveals the compositing background from around the Executor.
    [​IMG]
    It's real bad.

Darth__Lobot, Snafu55 and Sarge like this.
  24. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Oh, god... no. Just no. Absolutely not. The worst, most misguided thing Lucasfilm could do would be to do an honest-to-god remake of any of the films, especially the originals. "Old" and "dated" do not translate to "bad." Not everything needs to be updated to meet modern standards; art should be allowed to exist as a product of its time.

25. Wu Wei Jedi

Nov 8, 2021
    It would still exist.[face_mischief]