main
side
curve

What's the Crime like in downtown Indy?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by buzz57, Apr 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buzz57

buzz57 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2002
    I don't want to be walking down the street and some lowlife comes up and takes my money. I'm coming to Indy by myself, I don't want this to happen to me or anybody.

2. AndLoveSaidNo

AndLoveSaidNo Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2004
    If I can walk down the street in downtown Fort Worth, which has a very high crime rate, then Indy should be no problem. Just try to travel in groups. There'll be enough of us Star Wars geeks out!

3. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    The convention center is in the worst part of the city. You will probably be mugged and killed half-a-dozen times.

EDIT: I'm only kidding. When I was in Indy for C2, it seemed like a very clean, safe city. Of course, this is coming from someone who lived in Chicago's south loop, so my perspective might be a little skewed. ;) My point is: while I don't know any statistics on crime, Indy seemed like a really nice, safe city, all things considered.

4. buzz57

Mar 15, 2002
    Thanks alot Sith thats all I wanted to hear.

5. Poldark

Poldark Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2005
    I've lived in downtown Indy for the past five years and we've never had any problems. Just be smart, like you need to be everywhere. Downtown Indy is well-lit, there is a lot of activity so there are usually people around, etc. There will be pandhandlers that will ASK you for your money but that's as bad as it should get--if you just use good common sense.

6. DarthLucanas

DarthLucanas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2003
    I have been here for two days and downtown is really nice. At night the streets are well lit.

Don't worry it's nothing like NY or Boston. :p

Nice one Sithman [face_laugh]

7. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Within the cluster of hotels, resturants, bars, the mall, etc, you should be fine. No one's 100% safe, but I've never worried about walking alone, but you just need to be aware of your surroundings, etc. like any city.

8. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Now, if C3 was in Gary, Indiana, that'd be a different story.

I can imagine the slogans now. . .

"Pack your deodorant; we're headed to the armpit!"

9. PK_Ate_My_Baby

PK_Ate_My_Baby Jedi Master star 2

Feb 21, 2005
    If you're hotel is connected to the Convention Center via Skywalk, as long as you stick to it as much as possible you'll be fine. That's how I avoided the pan handlers the last time I was downtown. I love Hamster Tubes!!!

~PK~

10. IEatPoodoo

IEatPoodoo Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    You're going to have 50,000 geeks watching your back. I wouldn't worry.

11. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Are the beggers really that bad in the downtown area?

12. Aaron2010

Aaron2010 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2005
    No. They're not. You will be surrounded by SW fans whenever your within a 1/2 mile of the con. You guys worry too much. I've lived in Indy for 20 years. It's one of the safest, cleanest cities around. Just wait and see.

13. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Future Films/NSF star 7 Staff Member Manager

Aug 12, 2000
    Hi I've lived here too for awhile now. And no they're not bad. But they do tend to come out when there are cons going on. They know when the big events are going to happen and when the geeks come to town. If you don't see a panhandler you're lucky cause that means they didn't consider C3 a big deal. I know last year at Gen Con if I walked outside and was across the street from the Convention Center I would have to deal with Panhandlers. Kind of annoying.

~PK~

14. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    My first trip down the street today resulted in me being approached by two different beggers. Kind of unsettling.

15. buzz57

Mar 15, 2002
    I just got assaulted by Gen Con and Celebration 3, what a farce.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.