main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's the deal with autograph coupons?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by tobywanben, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobywanben

tobywanben Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2003
    I have never been to any kind of convention and have never received an autograph from anyone other than Joe Falcon. So I am quite surprised that you have to buy autograph coupons in addition to the $95 door price at C3. Is this just "the way it is"? I'm really not much of an autograph monger but I really wanted to see and maybe meet celebrities at C3. I read that you can't even get into the celebrity area without buying coupons. Is this true? What's up with paying for autographs? Don't they make enough money from everything else we buy. Maybe I am way off base, but I am frustrated by this. Does anyone else feel this way?

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    You have to pay for autographs at every convention.

The autograph lines will be super long as it is, they'd be insane if all the autographs were free.

3. tobywanben

Jul 18, 2003
    OK--can I just buy one coupon to get into the autograph area and then walk around and look at people? That's really all I want.

4. DarthShona

DarthShona Jedi Master star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    I understand what you mean, tobywanben, these people are rich enough already and they still charge you for their signature.

But, I'm still gonna do it. Where else are you going to run into a slew of SW stars all in one place again? :)

5. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Paying for autographs is something that's still relatively new. Back in the 80s and early to mid 90s, very, very few cons and guests would even dream of making people pay for autographs. The only people who paid were the ones who wanted to get up at the front of the line when it started. Everyone else just waited.

6. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    Yeah,I know what you mean. It would cool if you could get them for free. But,I don't have mind paying for them eather. Besides getting their sig,you also get a nice 8x10 pic for them sign too. And plus the experience of getting to meet them makes it totally worth the $15 a piece for me. :)

"OK--can I just buy one coupon to get into the autograph area and then walk around and look at people? That's really all I want."

Yeah,you can look at the other stars from a few feet away even if your not in their line. Just as long as you buy at least 1 autograph,it's all good! :)

7. Isabella

Isabella Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2005
    You must also consider this is how the stars are making their money for their appearance at the convention. They aren't paid a lump sum prior to the convention to appear, they are paid by the vouchers obtained for each item signed. I think this is more than fair to them, since not only did they sign for us but most stars took the time to actually talk, get a photo and answer questions.

95.00 is a good deal when you consider it breaks down to about 23 and some change a day, or you could pay the 35.00 a day, and end up paying over the 4 day pass price.

Consider that it is lucky that we are able to see this many Stars in one place at one time, and that we can help make sure they keep coming back to us by supporting them by buying vouchers. Everyone has to be paid.

8. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I understand what you mean, tobywanben, these people are rich enough already and they still charge you for their signature.

Well, Maybe Carrie is...

But considering the amount of money people pay on E-bay for Autographs of dubious origin, I would rather a) put the money into the pocket of the person who's taking the time to sign b) know for SURE that the signature is genuine and c) have the memory of seeing the person face to face as that's the real treasure of haveing an autograph, it's a physical representation of that moment.

9. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    Good point, Isabella.

Well, Maybe Carrie is...

[face_laugh]!!

10. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    When I pay for an autograph I'm paying more for the fact that I get to meet the person, the autograph on a nice photo is just a bonus and a great memory.

11. brokenyolk

brokenyolk Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2002
    Hey tobywanben!

If you really just want to see the stars you can just hover around the autograph area and get a good look without have to buy any autographs - that's what we did at CII.

Also - the cast members are walking around the con all weekend - you can usually say hi in a hallway or whatever. It's pretty casual (unless it's a big name star - like Carrie Fisher or Hayden - but even then it still happens) Many people I talked to had great experiences chatting with guys like Jeremy Bulloch and Warwick Davis. Plus there are tons of seminars - at least one involving every cast member - so you can attend these and hear about their experiences on the film and ask questions. It's very cool.

And if you really want an autograph $15 ain't so bad - believe me, the guy who played Admiral Piett and the guy who wore the Bossk suit aren't rich - they could use the money.

12. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    When I pay for an autograph I'm paying more for the fact that I get to meet the person, the autograph on a nice photo is just a bonus and a great memory.

My sentiments exactly. I would not pay for the pull service or buy an autograph off of ebay. If I can't get it in person, I don't want it. The memory of meeting the person, even if it's a simple handshake and hello, is more of what I want than the actual autograph. In fact, if I had the option, I'd rather just have my picture taken with a celeb than get their autograph.

On the plus side for those of you who do not like to pay for autographs, a lot of the authors, artists, and other members of the "Star Wars family" that are not on the official autograph panel will normally sign for free.

13. -Doctor_Evil-

-Doctor_Evil- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2004
    Well alot of them like to say you are "Paying" for the glossy pic and they are signing it for free. But that is semantics and of course they won't sign for free if you bring your own picture. If the prices are consistant with C2 or even up a little, we should all feel lucky, cause at other conventions and especially at sports card shows, they are REALLY paying through the nose.

Doc

14. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    Okay, I'm confused now. I read at the Indy Knights website that (at C2) with the coupons, you could bring your own thing to have signed, or if you didn't have anything you could get them to sign their Celebration photo instead. I'd like to have the celebs sign either my SW trucker-style hat, or the cover of the new Vanity Fair issue. Has the policy changed since C2? :confused:

15. Drador

Drador Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2004
    How much do these coupons usually run

16. -Doctor_Evil-

-Doctor_Evil- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2004
    From what I understand you can bring stuff to sign, but you have to buy a ticket and there is usually an understood time limit. They are not going to let you get 20 things signed. You buy the ticket, which gets you a spot in line and an 8x10 glossy once you get to the table. You have a minute or two to get a picture, handshake and a few other things signed when you get up there. But have it all ready to go when your time comes.

What you won't be alowed to do is just bring your stuff and expect to get it signed for free without buying the picture (ie - the ticket).

17. Isabella

Isabella Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2005
    Okay the breakdown.

Last time, (which might not be the same as this time) you went to the main line in the back of the main room, bought coupon using cash or credit card. The cost 15.00. Limit, they didn't care.

This coupon allowed the said holder to have signed the provided 8X10 glossy of which each star had two types or anything of your choice that you brought to the table.

I saw guys who had armor signed, I had a limited edition poster signed, figures, and I'm sure other weird stuff. Those are the rules. Their photos or an item.

The Stars last time (with exception to Carrie Fisher and Anthony Daniels?) were sitting at a long system of tables with their wives, agents or husbands. They were very accomidating, and took more than 2 minutes with us when we were getting signed. I'm sure as the weekend progressed this time became smaller and smaller, but even when I got Jeremy Bullock to sign on Sunday, he spoke to me for quite a while and commented on the print I bought, I talked to his wife, they told me about his website, and I thanked them.

Carrie Fisher was in a room all by herself deeper in the convention center, seperate line. I'm not sure honestly where Anthony Daniels' was signing.

The other thing offered and I didn't catch the price, was a certificate of Authenticity sticker, to put on items, or photos. I skipped it, what is the point in it, when I KNOW it was signed, and noone could pry my preciouses away from my cold dead hands. Some folks wanted these things, since larger stars tend to be forged more often.

My suggestion, if there is someone you want to get their autograph to, get your coupon and get your signature. If it's your only big treat to yourself the whole weekend, go early, get in line and enjoy the ride.

18. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    Okay, thanks you two. :)

19. tobywanben

Jul 18, 2003
    Hey thanks for the info. I'm really just a walk around and take it all in (with pictures) kind of guy. I'm glad to know I can do that at C3.

20. motf-jan

motf-jan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2001
    Hey Toboywanben,
    They also had a service last time which you had to buy at least 10 autographs and I think a $5 surcharge on the total, but you marked down the celebs you wanted autographs for and C2 got them for you. I just came by the next day and picked them up. The crowds at the celebrity section was unreal and at one time the fire marshal shut them down. At that point I was actually able to talk with Jerome Blake for awhile along the roped off section.

But I was more interested in other C2 events. Granted I've had the unque opportunity to meet many of the actors on a more personal level and so it's not that big of a deal. Ok, if Ewan or Hayden were signing autographs, I'd wait in line!

Anyway, as someone involved in convention planning at both DragonCon and ConCarolinas, I can tell you that most of the actors are not rich. Most do work either on stage or the ocational tv appearance, but the "big" stars who have money, aren't signing anywhere, they don't need to! Plus I can tell you that they don't get an all expense paid trip to CIII for appearing. Most probably get a hotel room--which they might have to share with another celebrity. People like Carrie and Anthony probably get air fare and maybe a food allowance, but it's rare. The photos wholesale are usually about $5 a piece, plus they have to cover their handler's expenses as well.
    So, $15 a piece, they probably might net 10% of that when all is said and done.

Let's talk about the $95. As someone said, it's about $25 a day. You go to a movie, buy a drink and popcorn and you've blown that much. If your lucky, you get 2 hours entertainment out of it. At CIII your getting over 12 hours or more a day! It's a bargain really. Why charge? Lucasfilm has a gazzillion dollars right? Well, it's a business like everyone else and makes alot of money, but spends alot too. Conventions are expensive to produce, believe me I know. You have facilities spaces to pay for--they don't give them to you. Renting the Convention center for 5 days cost most likely $1000s if not $100's of thousands of dollars. Then they tap on table rentals, and housekeeping, advertising costs. Pay for workers--not everyone are volunteers, Printing program books. GenCon is running it, I'm sure they want to make some kind of profit so they can produce other conventions, but I doubt anybody will be getting rich off this.

I guess in pieces parts it seems like a very expensive trip with tickets, food, authographs, getting there and such. But, we've know about this for over a year, and we still have months. Start saving your money, forgo the weekly movie trip and put that money in the bank. If you want it bad enough, you can go even on a limit budget! My dad and I went last time for $500 including both ticket costs, and the $200 I spent on autographs and goodies. Perhaps I should write a paper;---CIII on a budget<lol>

Janet

21. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
  22. OBIX1

Oct 7, 2002
    Awesome! :D The only problem is though that since it saidd some stars will require 2 $10 coupons,the difference will come out about the same as last time where every star charged $15. But oh well,it may save us some money anyway. :)

23. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I don't like this part, though:
    "Fans can then use the appropriate number of coupons for each autograph. Some guests will require 1 coupon per autograph, some 2, and so on."

24. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    So am I reading this right? We now have to pay $5 extra for the C3 photos of the autographers if we do not bring something for them to sign ourselves?

25. OBIX1

Oct 7, 2002
    "So am I reading this right? We now have to pay $5 extra for the C3 photos of the autographers if we do not bring something for them to sign ourselves?"

I think they're giving out plain photos for free with your coupon. But,you have to pay and extra 5 bucks for a photo with the Celebration 3 "seal" on it. At least that's how I read it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.