main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends What's The Good?--Leia/Mara Summer Olympics Pentathlon 2024

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthIshtar, Jul 6, 2024.

1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Author's note: You know, I've only really written Mara at length in AUs, so I thought it would be fun to play around with the boundaries of what we do have established instead of having Leia meet Mara weeks after Endor or wonder where she's gotten to when encountering Q.

Prompt #1: High Dive: Write a story of 500 or more words of dialogue-free introspection.

Leia didn’t need much doctoring this time. She suspected Karrde had never had to research what painkillers would be safe to administer to a nursing mother and tried to decline the offered medication, but compromised in the end and kept the medicine in the pocket of her jumpsuit. The pain came and went and she had winked at Han when saying that the Noghri might have to take over burping duty for a few days when she got home. There was no need for bacta and she had not suffered a concussion.

She couldn’t deny that she was lucky to be relatively unscathed. Mara hadn’t regained consciousness by the time they returned to the ship but Leia suspected that Luke had intervened to let her heal through the Force. Han had uncharacteristically cooperated with medical recommendations, including the order to limit his activity. He passed out a short while after they entered hyperspace and touching his mind as she might feel his forehead for a fever, Leia found his thoughts untroubled.

Would that she could find some of that peace for herself.

Karrde hadn’t stopped for such niceties as checking comm channels or looking for the latest news from the battle theater. Leia attempted to reach out to the twins, but either her mind was too cluttered or they were too far away for her to make contact.

With her husband sleeping off the effects of bravery and her children just beyond her reach, Leia went to offer to take a shift at Mara’s bedside. At some point, Luke had drifted off and someone–probably Karrde–had wedged a pillow between his cheek and the bulkhead that he was drooling on. Leia retrieved a blanket from the next bed over and tucked it around him. He shrugged his shoulder against her hand in some unconscious gesture of thanks and she turned to the woman who had made their unlikely victory possible.

She looked distressed, but then again, Leia had never seen Mara Jade at ease. When she had touched the other Force user’s mind in the throne room she had almost withdrawn in shock. There was no darkness to be found there, but there was an inner fire that was almost painful to tap into.
    Single-minded to the point of recklessness, Bail would have called it.

More than slightly nuts, Han would say if she ever described it to him.

One of us, Luke would probably say.

All of those would have been high praise but Leia knew there was to be unusual opposition to Mara Jade being called anything but an Imperial collaborator. Leia would stand with boldness against every member of the Inner Council if she had to and take the cause on personally.

With that thought, a possibility opened in her mind and she paused toconsider it. The first impression was non-negotiable: Mara would not be seeing the word ‘arrest’ in connection with her name again.

Leia would invite her into their home for something more formal than a hostage situation and properly introduce Mara to the children whose lives she had saved. They wouldn’t have much to say on the occasion, but that was all right. She adamantly agreed with the impression that this would be the first of many encounters.

It was an almost absurd vision of the future, but she dared not deny what the Force had shared with her in that moment.

When they had all gotten a good night’s sleep, she would get to work on each of those impressions.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2024
  2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Yes Mara Jade and being cared for by Leia. Nice beginning of your pentathlon

Vek Talis likes this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    What a wonderful start ... I love introspection and Leia reflecting is top notch. =D= I love her impressions of Mara, all three of them [face_laugh] =D= [face_love]

Vek Talis and earlybird-obi-wan like this.
  4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Replies:

@earlybird-obi-wan Thanks. When Mara wakes up after Dark Force Rising and her guide is Winter, I always had this feeling that she and Leia were sort of taking turns because Mara meant SOMETHING to Luke and they respected that.
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Glad you appreciate the quirkiness of the impressions. Thanks for thinking the reflections are top-notch.

Tennis Match: Write a story of 100 or more words that is dialogue-only to create a true volley of words
    Note: I know that this moment is covered in "Crystal," but that story is no longer available on the internet, so this is my version of what comes before the NJO.

TAKING CHARGE

"I'm not sure it's any of my business."

"I'm sure there's a Jedi Master who would disagree with you."

"That Jedi Master was more than happy to just take this as a given where the other two are concerned. And I'm sure that he'd politely tell me that I should trust your judgment. Which I do."

"Then why isn't it any of your business? Is there some unresolved issue between us?"

"Mara I think that we can agree that other than Luke, I'm the most accommodating member of this family."

"I think that honor goes to Anakin."

"Anakin loves everyone on principle. I thought highly of you before the twins were even born."

"I'm glad to hear it, but I'm still not sure what you mean by..."

"I'm not going to give permission because it's not my permission you need. It's my daughter's.."

"Of course she'll be involved in the decision, but most Jedi have been satisfied with a less one-on-one apprenticeship."

"And she's graduated from that stage of her training. I couldn't be prouder, but I believe it's up to Jaina to mark her path towards Knighthood."

"I agree. I'd like to help her mark that path, even if she never lets me help her travel it."

"I think she'd be honored to have you as her guide, as you know what it is like to navigate a course..."

"I think we're sounding more like the Falcon's navcomputer than sisters-in-law."

"Sorry. Old diplomatic habits. I tend to wax metaphorical."

"I hadn't noticed. So, what do you think?"

"I think we should cut off this conversation. Jaina will want to here from you sooner than later."

"Thank you, Leia."

"Any time, Master Jade-Skywalker."

"Wait to call me Master until I hear what Jaina has to say."

"I don't think I will."

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    SQUEE! I love this conversation. It's warm and affirming of Jaina's choice and Mara's rightness as a mentor. [face_love] =D=

Vek Talis and earlybird-obi-wan like this.
  6. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice discussion between Mara and Leia. Mara sure will be a great mentor for Jaina

7. Vek Talis

Vek Talis Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2018
    The introspective piece was a beautiful glimpse into Leia's mind and the dialogue had pop. And the cycle will begin again. Jedi, and inevitably... Sith. [face_devil][face_devil][face_devil][face_devil][face_devil][face_devil]

earlybird-obi-wan likes this.
  8. Happy Sando

Happy Sando Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2023
    I'm really looking forward to learning more about Mara Jade throughout this pentathlon! :) Loved the individual analyses Leia accurately supposed, from Bail, Han, and Luke. And that back-and-forth Tennis Match entry with Leia was especially helpful, as I could start to "hear" Mara's voice using Leia's as an anchor.