main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion What's The Point?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by SWFan052577, Feb 5, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SWFan052577

SWFan052577 Jedi Padawan

May 31, 2021
    Given the, for lack of a better word, divisive reaction to the Disney sequel trilogy, and how The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett, at least up to this point, have both been incredibly well received by fans for feeling closer to what Star Wars is supposed to be, why would they try to connect it to the sequels? Are they trying to lose fans? It would be better off if they just had the Mandoverse take an approach similar to what Rebels did, which was telling its own story, and not acting as a means to fix other movies. I mean, there's a reason people love Luke in Mando and TBOBF, but not in TLJ. It serves no purpose to connect them other than robbing the fans of these shows of the enjoyment they get from seeing their childhood icons depicted in a consistent manner with the original films.

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    What’s the point of this thread?

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This is the way.........to complain about the ST outside of the ST forum.

4. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yeah. Its just a (very) thinly veiled "I hate the ST and I want everyone to know it" thread. Again.

5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I mean, the ST sucks (in terms of its contribution to Star Wars) and it's gonna connect to these shows (unless they hopefully reboot it), so I don't blame them. It's a fair question to ask. It casts a shadow over the whole thing.

cwustudent and Glitterstimm like this.
  6. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020

Sarge and Lee_ like this.
  7. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I agree with you.
    The problem is that threads like this, where the OP just assumes their opinion of something should be taken as fact, is not a way to have a discussion.

A better thread would be one where people list and discuss the connections they see between the shows and the ST, or any of the other films. It's less combative, and invites more neutral discussion.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
    Riv_Shiel likes this.
  8. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I think the point is, they are trying to rehabilitate Luke - and probably Han, Leia etc. - after the ST debacle to restore value to those precious intellectual properties which remain far more engaging than any original material Disney has produced. The ST was a major opportunity to milk the OT, but there’s still lots of milking to be done, this time on the small screen.

9. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Fair points. It does come off as less constructive discussion and more nonsensical rant. There's a fine difference between the two. Like I said, it's a valid discussion to have. Just have to think critically while typing, which admittedly is a hard skill to remember to use lol.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  10. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    We already know the logic in the OP is flawed. They have already used material from multiple places and gotten good reactions regardless- for example, references to the PT went over fine with people who didn't like the PT; they didn't ruin Mando or Boba for everyone that didn't like the PT.

The same concept would apply here. No matter how much one resents or dislikes the ST, that will still ring true.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  11. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    No, I think there’s a big difference, which is that now they are telling a story we already know the end of. We know how Luke’s story ends - according to ST - and many people don’t like it. That’s not the same as incorporating some characters or motifs from the PT.

12. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I'm still not certain that Filoni and Favreau will really tie every single thread possible to the ST, but if they ultimately do, it's not surprising considering the ST (sadly) does exist and it's much easier for them to tie things together rather than alter them, as I wish they would.

Basically, we are just stuck with this storyline, but I expect F and F to proceed in a way that diminishes some of the ST aspects that are most disagreeable.

13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Do we have a thread like that?

14. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't think so. That's why it would be a good idea. People could have these discussions in a less combative way than this thread's OP suggests.

Darkslayer likes this.
  15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    The sequels are great, and I love that the shows are doing their best to expand that story, just like TCW expanded the story in prequels.
    But I guess I don't count, as I'm not the right kind of fan or some bs like that, right?

Spare me your gatekeeping.

16. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    The PT was pretty divisive and it got a lot of tie in material. In particular, TCW show did a lot to flesh out the plot of the PT and improve it in the eyes of the fans.

I strongly disliked the ST, but that is exactly what they should do I think. Not discard something from canon because some people don't like it, but add to it, build on it, improve it through works that support it. Add to the universe rather than subtract from it.

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.