main
side
curve

What's The Scoop on Star Wars Weekends? How Do They Compare to Celebration Events?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by darth1132, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth1132

darth1132 Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2006
    Since I live in south Florida I am seriously considering attending one of the Star Wars Weekends that are coming up this summer. I don't really know what to expect so I am curious to know if anyone has been to one and could tell me how they compare to the Celebration events. I know that they are not nearly as big or involved but what are the attractions in terms of celebrities, shows, parades, etc? In the event that I cannot make it to C4 next year I want to at least make it to some type of Star Wars function. Thanks.

2. jakejar

jakejar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    We went last year--a month after CIII!-- and it was great fun! There were tons of stormtroopers providing "security" and they had a funny routine they'd do each morning from the top of the buildings near the gates at MGM while everyone was waiting to get in. Each weekend, they had an actor and a behind-the-scenes person (model maker, sound editor, etc.). You could get their autographs for free (if you got in line early enough to get one of the passes)and they also did an interview show each afternoon, live in front of an audience. There's a Star Wars edition of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Live! with participants dressed in costume. Lots and lots of costumed characters and a motorcade parade divided between the Rebellion and Empire characters. Let's see...there's a jedi-training academy for kids who--after training--get to battle Darth Maul or Darth Vader. There's a Star Wars Trivia challenge--one for adults and one for children. There's some exclusive Star Wars collectibles just for the Star Wars weekends---last year, there was a Darth Mickey and Jedi Mickey plush, along with the usual posters, mugs, t-shirts with that year's design on it.

That's all I can think of for now...there's a website that has all the updates:
    www.mgmstudios.org

Also, it was just announced that Warwick Davis is going to play host for all four weekends, in addition to the 2 celebrity guests who change each weekend. We're going back again this year!

jakejar's mom

3. darth1132

darth1132 Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2006
    Thanks for the info; I definitely plan on attending at least one of the weekends this year. I live less that three hours away from MGM so it will be pretty convenient for me. I need to experience some type of Star Wars event just in case I can't make it to C4 if and when it happens.

4. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    The SW Weekends are fun and all, but they don't hold a candle to Celebration.

!snap

5. darth1132

darth1132 Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2006
    I didn't think so.

6. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I was going to go this year but darnit I got my wife pregnant and it would be useless to go since she can't ride rides.

7. AnakinGirl05

AnakinGirl05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    We stumbled upon SW weekends the first year they did them completely by accident...and it was such fun!! I have never been to Celebration, not yet anyway, but I am sure it does not compare. However, it is fun in its own right. The atmosphere was great fun and there were SW parades and it had all of the usual Disney magic!! This year they got Rick McCallum...that is big for them, they do not usually have anyone that high up in Lucasfilms. Wish I was going!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.