main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What's your favorite little moment or detail in CT?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Chancellor Yoda, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    ^ I'm pretty sure that Vader's body language is intended to tell the Ugnaught to proceed. Not because this is his chance to find out how to operate the thing himself.

darth_mccartney likes this.
  2. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    ^ That makes sense too haha

Binary Sunset likes this.
  3. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    Seeing the imperial walkers through the binoculars:

[​IMG]

4. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    R2's snarky beep at 2:28 when C-3PO explains, "But with all we've been through, this little R2 unit has become a bit eccentric."

5. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    R2-D2 also makes a strange sound never heard again after Luke says he has something jammed in him.
    This reminds me... I was watching earlier and wondered if whatever Luke was trying to get unjammed had anything to do with the message being turned on, or if turning it on and playing part of it was just R2's trickery.

BenYodaDagobah likes this.
  6. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Luke showing up in all black at Jabba's Palace.
    The reveal of Leia under the bounty hunter costume
    Vader throwing the lightsaber during the duel with Luke
    Everytime Vader looks at Luke as Luke talks back to the Emperor
    The silent struggle going in while Vader watches the Emperor torture Luke
    Anakin's redemption "I've got to save you father." "You already have Luke."
    "Tell your sister you were right about me."

7. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015

The immediate exchange at the end of the walkway right after "You are beaten, it is pointless to resist..." etc as Luke jumps to his feet, Vader hits the hand railing, they clash and then Luke ducks his blow and counters with that strike on Vader's shoulder is THE best bit of lightsaber duelling in the entire saga for me.

Sarge likes this.
  8. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    This is why ROTJ is my favorite. =D=

wobbits and themoth like this.
  9. Nintari

Nintari Jedi Youngling

Aug 31, 2017
    My favorite moment is when Vader finds out about "sister" and Luke has had enough. That scene, with Williams' score, Luke facing his fears, attacking and then conquering Vader... it's the most emotional scene in all of Star Wars history for me. Gives me chills every time I see it.

10. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I know what you mean. It made the scene feel more ominous and real.

11. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    I like how the first time we see a Star Destroyer get blown up, it is in the background and barely noticeable for the few seconds that it happens (while Admiral Ackbar is talking).

12. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Mark Hammill's performance in ROTJ is one of the most underrated things in the whole saga. I love his reaction while Vader is saying "It is the only way you can save your friends."

Nintari and Sarge like this.
  13. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I like how Han tries to blow out the torches right before the Ewoks are ready to roast him alive. Good plan. [face_laugh]

14. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    What about the moment when Luke tells Vader in ROTJ that "my father is truly dead", you can't see Dave Prowse's face but his whole body language tells you that-that one remark has stabbed Vader directly in his heart, never before had we seen anything pierce Vader through into Anakin but this did.

15. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    Han shooting Greedo first

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I believe that at that moment Vader is contemplating the fact that he cannot win. He realises that, without formal training comparable to his own or any other Jedi for that matter, Luke has somehow managed to acquire a seemingly complete set of skills. He knows now that its odds on that Luke turning to the darkside will mean killing his father. Acknowledging that his father is dead, meaning he has nothing to loose by killing Vader, makes that being Luke's path to the darkside almost inevitable.

Luke has just crystalised the dilemma. If you truly are my father, then just saying so and being unable to kill me yourself is not enough. Anything less than turning from the darkside redeeming your good self will compel me to destroy you or it will lead to my death. Then you will either be the dead father to a servant of evil, killed by his own son. Or you will be the father who allows his son to be killed while you remain the slave, forever.

wobbits, Lulu Mars and Revyl Ren like this.
  17. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012

I don't believe Vader's thoughts are so complex in this scene, Anakin is reawakening because of the love he feels for Luke. This is ongoing through out ROTJ, Palpatine senses it. It's these conflicting emotions that ultimately prove the downfall of Vader and Palpatine, feelings such as love and hate aren't complex and Vader isn't trying to calculate the future possibilities. In Vader's mind he's conflicted two ways, first he sees a way for himself to be whole again, in that he will be a father and he and Luke will overthrow Palpatine, The second and the one that is dragging him back is the pull to the Dark Side, this is literally black and white for Vader.

18. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I don't think it's complex.

Clearly he loves his son. It's why he couldn't kill him on Bespin.And it's why the choice is ultimately his and not Luke's.

I'm saying that Luke's response to Vader trying to maintain control of situation by telling him "[The Emperor] is your master now." it is finally dawning on him what' is at stake. He cannot defeat Luke unless Luke chooses to die. He cannot turn Luke without it costing his own life and condemning Luke to the same purgatory he has endured.

BenYodaDagobah and Revyl Ren like this.
  19. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Vader toys with Luke in TESB, testing him to see how strong he's become. Vader says to Palpatine Luke "will join us or die" but Vader has no intention of murdering his son. At this point Vader sees Luke as a way of removing Palpatine, GL says this in the commentary.

When we get to ROTJ and Luke's surrender to Vader we get a father-son exchange, both of their views on the other have changed. Luke no longer sees Vader as Obi-Wan's executioner, just as Vader no longer sees Luke as a pawn to dethrone Palpatine. Luke believes and desperately wants Vader to become Anakin again and believes Vader won't hand him over to the Emperor, when Vader does the opposite, Luke hits back with "my Father is truly dead".

Vader is hurt by this comment, he was starting to see himself as Luke's father, even Palpatine could see it. The scene ends with Vader looking out into the forest for a very brief moment, what he thinks beyond that is open to speculation but for that brief moment he's hurt by Luke's words.

20. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Exactly. I'm not sure if it's intentional, but I like the way it matches up with the ROTS scene of Anakin/Vader staring from the bridge on Mustafar. A small touch but pretty cool, IMO.

Also, I always found it sad how none of the troopers aboard Death Star 2 stopped to see if Vader needed help in his final moments. It shows how lonely and isolated he really was. He is the victim, villain and hero of this story.

21. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Organafan wrote

I like how the first time we see a Star Destroyer get blown up, it is in the background and barely noticeable for the few seconds that it happens (while Admiral Ackbar is talking).

...and this is the scene that probably followed (but didn't make it into the final film), showing the guy who did it:

[​IMG]

(I talked to Dermot Crowley at a convention wondering whether that scene might have suggested a suicide attack, but he wasn't aware of any suicide attack he was supposed to play)

Snafu55 likes this.
  22. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012

23. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I thought I read somewhere that the scenes with Madine were the same lines as all the Ackbar scenes, shot in advance as security in case problems with the animatronics meant they couldn't get the Ackbar scenes finished.

24. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Martoto77

Yes, the Alliance fleet jump into hyperspace was filmed with General Madine calling the shots as an option had the Ackbar scenes not worked, but I doubt he would have jumped with a Corellian warcry (i.e. I'm confident the image above comes from another, deleted scene). ;)

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    We know at least that Madine lives through ROTJ in the newcanon, regardless of any death in early scripts.

By contrast, the deleted TESB Hobbie collision has been treated as canon, with Hobbie having died in the crash.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.