main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What's your favorite small detail from the Saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Nerdling, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

I was working with someone who was friends with a heap of people working on Ep II in Sydney at the time, and it was also publicised - loads of Sydney martial arts classes were auditioned to appear in the film, there wasn't any specific plan regarding the 'Jedi extras', so the result was a bit of a mish-mash of various disciplines. The one mob that got the press was a kendo class which was regarded by the martial arts community as a bit out of control, IIRC.

Pity it hadn't all happened 5-10 years later, I could have found myself as a Jedi Knight for five seconds - and my own kung-fu master would have probably become a major character based on his own personality. Think Yoda meets Mr Miyagi, with a bit more swearing.

2. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I can't believe I forgot to mention my absolute favorite "small detail" when I posted in here months ago. Hands down, that moment right after Leia kisses Han on the cheek in ESB (see avatar photo), Han gets this small smile on his face. It's subtle, but very sweet and adorable. Aww, my insides melt just thinking about it. Cute.

ThreadSketch and Force Smuggler like this.
  3. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Huh. I've noticed the dual sabers and the reverse grip Jedi, but never saw one with a saber staff. Is there an image?

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Love when Chewie sticks his head in and watches them.

5. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    My favorite detail is how Yoda uses his cane to make circles in Dagobah swamp, right before Luke goes in the cave to face his fears. The way he stirs the water is reminiscent of witches brewing potions in their cauldrons to bewitch others. Makes me think he is bewitching the cave to take in Luke's demons. I like that the creepy mystery it creates at Yoda's impressive Force-use(How much of Dagobah's settings are reality vs Yoda's doing, hmmmmmphhh?Through the Force, everything is possibleeee) and conveys Luke's laughingly helpless place in the Master/Student relationship. 'I am not afraid';'Ohhh, you will be. You.will.be.' Luke is a naïve little sod who is completely under Yoda's control and will have to walk through the eccentric life-sized tests Yoda has set up for him.No choice has he. Face his fears he will...

6. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    There is a scene where Vader has his mask off in his chamber, one of the officers comes to speak with him and Vader suddenly doesnt have a neck, the piece that goes between the shoulder pads and his mask are missing, causing Vader to look like he is hunched into his shoulder pads like a turtle. Im surprised no one ever brings this up.

7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Mine is Lee and Cushing each being in a trilogy. :D

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Space is dark.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. Samwise_Skywalker

Samwise_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2002
    More than any specific moment, it's the genuine sense of scale of the saga, both large and small. I love that seemingly every character on-screen has a backstory and history, even without knowing that they do. There's an incredible sense of the universe being fully alive which is one of the things that attracts me to it the most.

10. Cybertronian Fett

Cybertronian Fett Jedi Knight

Nov 23, 2014
    When Yoda says "Much anger in him, like his father". That scene was a nice connection to the PT for me.

11. Gen Rendar

Gen Rendar Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    It's not my favorite thing, but one thing I have always loved about the universe are the small details that are not there. Some that come to mind(as far as I know):
    • We rarely if ever actually see the sun of a planet while in orbit or space. I'm sure there is some guide book or something that tries to explain this, or perhaps I've just never noticed it; but I think it really adds to the fantasy element of the series. On each planet we clearly see the worlds have suns, but we never see them in relation to the planet. It makes the worlds feel bigger and space more connected. They aren't some planet in real space with a set orbit around a star; they are "worlds" that exist within this fictional space.
    • There is no paper. I hope I never see regular paper in Starwars. Ancient scrolls..maybe, but not any form of modern paper. This is such a great element that makes Starwars unique. It is just one of the elements that makes the universe feel foreign, yet familiar.
    • The limitations of space are largely ignored. All the things that make space in the real world seem totally opposed to normal human living conditions are not focused on. While they might appear in some small ways, they never seem to bog down the story or the world. Breathing in space, radiation, the effects of different gravitation environments, the way lightsabers work, all those things would be a major drawback to living and working in space in the real world, instead everything is set up to make space seems exciting, adventurous and fun. Things don't confirm to our understanding of reality, but they do confirm to an internal understanding within the fictional universe.
    But for a more on-topic answer:

I love how we learn "something" new each Film. Every film gives us something new about the universe, the characters, or an event we didn't know before. It usually gives more value to each film that came before it.

Also, I really liked Yoda's line: "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." It just feels right to me and fits his character. I'm not sure who wrote it into the script, but it works perfectly in my opinion.

12. Master Fisto

Master Fisto Jedi Knight

Jun 10, 2013
    "You need to go home, and rethink your life."

13. The Wampa Lover

The Wampa Lover Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 6, 2014
    My favorite would have to be when Fisto smiles after he knocks over battle droid C-3PO in AOTC.

14. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008

doesn't he speak to Ob-Wan directly in TPM, after he gets off the shuttle?