main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

2. Submit your favorites HERE

What's your favorite type of Star Wars fic?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Zach, Dec 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zach

Zach Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2001
    Here are the types that I know of:

- Own Character
    - History ReWrites
    - Couple
    - After Return Of The Jedi

You can choose something that's not on there, too. My favorite is Own Character fics. Please excuse me if this is in the wrong topic.

2. Darth_Fruitcake

Darth_Fruitcake Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2001
    I like AU's, NJO, and OT, with some PT tossed in.

3. ArnaKyle

ArnaKyle Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2000
    Oh gosh, I love to read/write Post ROTJ history rewrite OC romance action humor fics!

That's a mouthful.

4. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    I like AU's, and stuff that isn't prequel-based. Post-ROTJ is best. :) Obviosuly, seeing what I write (or read, more like).

I'm having enormous fun writing about teh origins of the Old Republic, but I guess that doesn't count. I refrain from reading any others that might come along because I want to keep my ideas completely original.

5. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    I prefer OT, after ROTJ and NJO, all the stories I write are in NJO because I don't like changing the EU much (I usually end up doing it anyway since I write so slow anotehr book comes along and turns my little story AU ;))

6. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    Lots of action, intrigue, plot twists, some more action.

7. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    I like intertrilogy stuff, and seeing established characters do odd things while remaining in character. I also tend to like "missing scenes" and (especially) AUs.

8. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    I enjoy reading (and writing) about original characters in the pre-TPM and post RotJ eras. My story is actually post RotJ (but before NJO).

9. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    NJO fics, preferably ones with Anakin Solo in them, and JA fics.

10. Angel_Blue01

Angel_Blue01 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2001
    What's my favorite?

Mine. (Earth/NGR universes)

Where else are you going to get a story about your dog in an X-wing, your son fighting Godzilla, and you fighting a Sith Lord with a very bad name? (Never mind the last one ;)

See here: http://angel_blue01.tripod.com/star_wars

11. Casper_Knightshade

Casper_Knightshade Jedi Master star 6

Oct 18, 2000
    I enjoy reading all sorts of fics and avoid other subjects, but the best ones are Original Stories; ones made up by the author where totally new characters are created from the author's imagination.

12. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    I always have to chime in in favor of established character fics, before the original character guys sound like they're somehow more moral and imaginative or something. :)

I really like to see the way different people view the established characters. It's a different sort of art (in some ways, very much akin to acting), but an art nonetheless. I don't like to see them behaving out of character, but since there are a lot of different interpretations of why characters behave the way they do, there's a lot of latitude, and it's always interesting to see how very differently two people view the same event.

For orginal character stories, I really only like them if they're looking at a part of the universe we haven't had an opportunity to see before, but one in direct context with what we know -- eg, stories about other Alderaanians after the destruction of the Death Star, or people who may have experience Vader's unexpected good side over the years. (And for my own OCs, if they can survive without the established characters in the established milieu, I horde them and use them in stories I might be able to sell, if I ever get around to finishing them. ;) )

13. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Hm, I have to put in my vote for original characters as well. :) I occasionally put "canon" characters into my stories, but I can't help but feel it's a crutch of sorts. And there are so many interpretations of the canon characters, of, um, varying caliber that I usually give the nod to the OCs first. I will cite, for special mention, Galadriel & Alli-Wan among the authors who do "canon" VERY well! (throwing bouquets in their direction...)

So... I write OC, with an occasional canon "supporting role," and in terms of genre: ACTION/ADVENTURE and MYSTERY! Romance, humor and mush need to be in small doses; they tend to detract from the SW "feel". I will sneak in angst and torture if it's appropriate, but if lightsabers don't come out at some point in the story, it just ain't Star Wars! ;) Obi-Wan has never and will never appear "shirtless and screaming" in any of my stories, if I can help it ;) . Probably why I don't have that many readers, oh well... [face_laugh]

I prefer the JA era, believing that it's hard to squeeze things into the OT and still make it come out right, and NJO has screwed up the post-OT era beyond fixability. :( (In MY opinion, anyway...)

I'll read just about anything though, if it's well written.

MY PET PEEVE: authors who start to post a FABULOUS story, then abruptly stop and vanish forever, claiming writer's block. :( I always try to finish at least the entire first draft before I start posting. My readers know that they won't have to wait for long for the next installment. (However did those fans of Dickens survive having to wait a whole month before getting the next chapter of his serials?)

14. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    NJO has screwed up the post-OT era beyond fixability

Be a rebel. Ignore any part of EU that you want to. :D

15. Princess1

Princess1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    I LOVE to read star wars romance storys, mostly Han and Leia, Kyp and Jania etc. I love OT stuff (not just romance, but some should be at least mixed in) but I don't like the NJO until after BP becuase I don't like it when Han and Leia are really mad at eachother. I tend to like the normal characters (Han, Leia, Obi Wan etc.) but with orignal characters mixed in to add to the story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.