main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What's your level of anticipation for Episode IX. compared to TFA and TLJ?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Oct 29, 2018.

?

What's your level of anticipation for Episode IX, compared to TFA and TLJ?

1. More excited for IX than I was for TFA and TLJ!

9.5%
  2. More excited for IX than I was for TLJ, but less excited than I was for TFA

12.5%
  3. More excited for IX than I was for TFA, but less excited than I was for than TLJ

2.9%
  4. I was more excited for both TFA and TLJ than I am for IX

52.7%
  5. As excited as I was for TFA and TLJ

22.3%
  1. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I'll go along with that one. While I was excited for "Solo", TLJ resulted in my anticipation of IX being not so much emotional ("Oh, boy, how is this going to end?!") as it was intellectual ("Oh, dear, how are they going to get this to work?") The TROS trailer has made me feel a bit better, but I'm still wary.

2. Trooper100471

Trooper100471 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2015
    I've really enjoyed both films in the ST so anticipation is high! The trailer has just cranked it up a few levels

3. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    If nothing, I'm curious to see if/how JJ can cobble together a coherent end to this mess of a trilogy. Also explain Sheev's return without crapping on ROTJ even more.

And admittedly seeing Lando again finally was cool. Also Finn, Rey, and Poe maybe FINALLY getting to go on a journey all together.

4. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    After the trailer it's now sky high - higher than TFA & TLJ combined......

lovethedarkside likes this.
  5. There is Another

There is Another Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 27, 2019
    My anticipation is to see an unending repeating example of this, for all eternity.

the entire Star Wars fanbase connundrum represented:

"TLJ sucks! Rian Johnson is a hack! It was too different and not Star Warsy enough!"

"TFA sucks! JJ Abrams just copied A New Hope! Why can't we get new ideas!"

"I dunno, I kinda liked both of them...?"

"SHUT UP FANBOY, THESE MOVIES ARE BAD!!!!"

6. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    that about sums it up

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  7. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I think with RoS there is going to be degree of trepidation all the way up to release. It's the nature of the beast. It's not like a movie adaptation of a book where you know the ending. It's also not like Avengers where you have one and only one goal in mind-to beat the bad guy. This trilogy is MUCH more complicated than that. They have all sort of secrets and mysteries now. Who and what is Rey? What will happen to Kylo? Will the Skywalkers redeem their name? What is the connection between Rey and Kylo? And NOW, why did we hear Palpatine's laugh? It's not just "how will the good guys beat the bad guys?'. It's so much more and it's as if we want ALL of these questions to have satisfactory answers that it's nearly impossible. It's a much more layered story than even Marvel. And now we've seen the potential for things to go in directions nobody predicted with polarizing results. So it is understandable that fans like us can feel hesitant to get TOO excited in fear of disappointment. It's more that we have anticipation but at least a tinge of confusion that errs on the side of caution.

8. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Depends how much it apes ROTJ. The trailer seems to have no fear letting slip it will have a Jabba desert redux with Mad Max diesel sheik. It is obviously written in the rules for the ST that no one is permitted to come up with an environment that is entirely unrelated or unprecedented from the OT. And speeder bikes. Sigh.

The Rey acrobatics are telescoping the competition Star Wars has with superhero movies that liberally use wire work. Of course, there are some nice shots of wire work acrobatics from TPM, and ROTS maybe?, so this fan-facing tactic by itself is not unblessed by Lucas.

Who is that gold bipedal droid? I don't recognize him.

Luke says "We'll always be with you. No one's ever really gone." That ought to mean that Leia dies in this entry and Luke says this as Force ghost. BUT. As I have wondered elsewhere, the tenor of this statement is from one Force user to another Force user, and this implicitly excludes Han and other mere mortals who do not get to participate in the Force user afterlife. So why does Luke feel the need to tell Rey that Leia will be with her as a Force ghost? Obi-Wan was content to tell Luke, before they headed their separate ways, "The Force will be with you." Just that. Not anyone particular. Maybe there were not supposed to have been Force Ghosts up until then. Of all data presented so far, Leia is not supposed to mean anything personal to Rey.

Alternatively, if Rey is a scion of Skywalker, then Luke can actually speak for Anakin as well, whether or not Leia is in the picture. But that puts a lot more burden on the Rey character. The Rey character will have to have mass enough to counter balance being in the same breath as the Chosen One. Right now it is a massless empty character. It has not had its ass kicked or lost a limb or suffered a disfiguring blow. Nothing that viscerally reads as transformative of the starting ingredient.

9. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    TLJ killed my anticipation overall for IX. I'll go to see it out of obligation and curiosity, however. It may be as good as TFA, and if it is, then I'll be satisfied. However, Rian Johnson did a considerable amount of damage to this trilogy that will be difficult to undo.

So, it looks like I'm with the majority in voting "I was more excited for both TFA and TLJ than I am for IX."

10. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    My excitement is at fever pitch. I loved TLJ (most philosophical) and TFA. I believe ROS will complete the Skywalker Saga with great fan faire.

11. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    THAT final tease almost by itself made me somewhat curious.

12. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Stoked for the film.
    Dreading the discourse.

13. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I'm a Lucas saga fan first and foremost, so my anticipation for TFA was always tempered by their seemingly apathetic dismissal of the PT's greater relevance.
    But I was curious, and I did enjoy the film.
    It is still a fun experience watching it, for me, which says something.
    Maybe it lacks the "grand vision" that made me a fan of the original sextet in '05, but it still feels like a SW film.

TLJ for some reason I got the impression would be more PT-friendly, but sadly besides some minor possible references to the PT this didn't really pan out.
    I saw a midnight screening for it on opening night, and it seemed good on first (and second) watch.
    Luke's characterisation has begun to kind of make it a complete no-go for watching it as a true SW movie, but I still can enjoy other aspects of the movie.
    I will say though, the day after the screening the first thing I thought when I woke up was... Luke is gone... and depression slightly set in.

I can see how the way the trilogy has turned out so far has some feeling deflated for IX.
    As others are saying a lot, it lacks a "cliffhanger" element, and the high stakes, that the other trilogies had to hold your interest while waiting for the conclusion.
    After ESB ('97) I was mostly just worried for Han. I seemingly didn't enjoy the slower pace and dark mood of ESB as much as the other two OT films as a kid, but now it is my favourite, and I specifically remember how real the drama felt.
    After AOTC I was mostly just frustrated with not knowing how Anakin was going to fall. But the anticipation was still there, particularly when I started lurking on the spoiler forums here at the beginning of '05

But I am way more excited for this film than I was for the other two of the ST.
    Just on a hunch I think it is going to be my kind of movie.
    Being the final film I'm anticipating a return to the operatic feel of Revenge of the Sith and Return of the Jedi, but done differently.
    I do admit I am very excited for Kylo's backstory and Rey's conclusion.
    Expecting it to be tragedy tinged, yet hopeful.
    It just feels like that is what we are going to get.

Plus the sheer scale of production makes me think it is going to be a spectacle to behold at the cinema.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  14. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Still at a "meh" level. Will see it during the first week of release. I am skipping opening weekend for the first time for a SW film. If it knocks my socks off I'll see it twice, otherwise its just a one showing for me out of obligation to see the end of the Skywalker Saga.

nightangel likes this.
  15. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    At this point, knowing all the rumors and leaks, I would have been very excited if I'd still been a fan and if the ST so far had had more ties to the larger saga, but now I'm just curious. It'll be interesting to see if TROS actually manages to tie everything together in a fresh way.

Emperor Ferus and nightangel like this.
  16. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Im really sceptical about it.

5 years have passed, four movies were released and the only stuff that made me realy go "holy ****, thats star wars!" was Rogue One third act with amazing battle, CGI, spirit of SW and Darth Vader's fanservice march.

Other than that, everything else was really mediocre in terms of story, writing and overall handling the franchise (meh games, overall average comic books, novels and tv-shows).

So yeah, nothing i saw and learned by that moment, make me think "Yeah, TROS they built on these 5 years of lame storytelling is shaping up to be good and honest work".

I wouldnt be suprised if we'd get hot mess of confusion, full of white threads and lack of sense actually. Especially in the light of new "leaks". They really follow the pattern.

They really hold it on "its star wars" bait for me. If it was another franchise i would never watch TROS in theater.

17. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    =((

I know you have said you were moving on from SW before, but it still sucks to hear.

nightangel and Lulu Mars like this.
  18. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Aw, I know!! It really, really sucks to feel this way. But life will go on... and I'll always carry the Force with me :bluesaber:

BTW: For once, I think I'm gonna listen to the soundtrack before I see the film! That'll be a new experience.

19. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Good to know you still enjoy John Williams. :)
    Those soundtracks are practically a movie on their own.

I don't think I will ever not be a SW fan.
    SW fandom can have pretty disappointing moments of course, but I've stuck it out so far, I can always find at least some things to like in different pieces.

I too wish the current LFL execs could see what a goldmine the PT is.
    I hope there is at least something in TROS that recaptures the feeling for you.

nightangel and Lulu Mars like this.
  20. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Thank you, I appreciate that!
    I'm sure there'll be a lot of SW feeling in there.

And yes, JW's music will always be enjoyable ^:)^ :)
    Allegedly, this soundtrack will contain all themes from the entire saga. I doubt it myself, but I'll be on the lookout!

nightangel and HevyDevy like this.
  21. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    It's high. It's very high.

Cave of Erised, ewoksimon and zackm like this.
  22. superstardestroyer-1

superstardestroyer-1 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 20, 2002
    To me, the head canon is the issue. There are millions of people with millions of decade long built up ideas of "how it should have went". When the new movies either play it too safe or get too crazy, it's often people just unhappy that they didn't live up to their own personal ideas and expectations.

23. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    To me, waiting for IX feels like waiting for the results of an election. I want it to be good so bad, and it could very well be. At the same time, I know there's a chance it will come crashing down just as easily.

I was nearly 100 percent hyped for TFA, and excited but nervous for TLJ.

24. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    At this point with the rumors and leaks, still not going opening weekend, if at all, for the first time ever.

MS1, ChildOfWinds and nightangel like this.
  25. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    sweet! i love it when there’s more seats available from everyone who isn’t going on opening weekend. it’s like baseball you just sit with it good or bad and imo it’s all been very enjoyable. I’m excited for all of it. The movies, series et cetera. I can’t wait.