main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What's your level of anticipation for Episode IX. compared to TFA and TLJ?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Oct 29, 2018.

?

What's your level of anticipation for Episode IX, compared to TFA and TLJ?

1. More excited for IX than I was for TFA and TLJ!

9.5%
  2. More excited for IX than I was for TLJ, but less excited than I was for TFA

12.5%
  3. More excited for IX than I was for TFA, but less excited than I was for than TLJ

2.9%
  4. I was more excited for both TFA and TLJ than I am for IX

52.7%
  5. As excited as I was for TFA and TLJ

22.3%
  1. RogueZero

RogueZero Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2009
    As excited. I’m so glad JJ is returning to round out the trilogy; I wasn’t much bowled over by Jurassic World so even though Trevorrow might’ve made a solid film, I trust JJ a lot more (largely because he delivered my third favorite SW movie and my very favorite SW character). Maybe it’s not fair as Jurassic World is the only Trevorrow film I’ve seen so far, but that’s the way it crumbles, cookie-wise. Though I was very happy with TLJ, I’m kind of glad Rian Johnson isn’t doing IX either. This is the last saga episode (at least for a long while) and it needs to go out with a bang. I think JJ can deliver that. I already know going into IX that there will be a lot of very very vocal naysayers who are primed to hate the film from the get-go. But maybe if some go in with lowered expectations for IX then maybe some will come away pleasantly surprised. Who knows? I’m so looking forward to it.

2. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    One of the main reasons why we got the prequels is because I think GL has always been conflicted on if theres a story beyond Ep6 or not

3. darth_of_denmark

darth_of_denmark Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    Yup, that's my understanding as well. But GL has been going back and forth on the issue of "is there a story to tell post Rotj". I remember seeing him on tv and bonus material all the way back to vhs releases. What I got from that was the he kept changing his mind about a possible ST. Last time I remember him saying something was around Rots. At that time he felt that the story was done, and the story really was about Anakin.

But it doesn't really matter now, and yes I could certainly see old Luke acting a bit like Gandalf in Lord of the Rings. I think Gandalf worked really well in that trilogy without stealing Frodo and friends thunder :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  4. darth_of_denmark

Mar 10, 2005
    You know what? I think Disney could have had a huge success if they had announced the ST to be an adaption of the Heir to the Empire book trilogy. A trilogy loved by many so why not?
    The Lord of the Rings trilogy film adaption worked amazingly well. So well, that I think Peter Jackson managed to capture lightning in a bottle just like George Lucas did with Star Wars back in the 70's/80s.
    Only difference was that Lotr was already a trilogy of books loved by many, where SW was George Lucas's own creation.

5. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Lucas does waffle a lot. 9-12 movies (but never have I encountered 4 trilogies). 3x3 seems to be what we had heard the most until TPM.

IDK.

TPM—QGJ enthusiastic about Anakin being the Chosen One. Anakin says, ‘Cool!’ and after a brief hesitation, running back to Mama with some tears, yet QGJ dies in combat.

ANH—Kenobi has been waiting for the day for Luke to show up. Luke, who has dreamed of the day to leave Tatooine, balks at the idea, but is forced by circumstances to leave.

TLJ—Rey spends nearly her entire character arc looking for a purpose, believing it to be Luke, whom she finds at the end.

Now, if Lucas’ story hadn’t been thrown out, we’d have her meet Luke earlier in the film. And he’d be reluctant, but I don’t know why. Still, an interesting variation. I still think JJ’s Luke would have been reluctant given Han’s explanation.

TESB—Yoda reluctant to teach Luke because he’s too old and too much like his father.

TLJ—Luke reluctant to teach Rey because of the failure with Ben and the Jedi having a history of screwing up. The Skywalkers certainly can screw up.

I like the themes and variations of GL’s SW. And I wished he’d have stayed. But the grass is always greener. If he’d stayed on as story/exec prod, maybe even show runner, there’d still be a lot of complaining. Maybe creative consultant was best, then was it Alan Horn who stepped in and said the protagonists were too young? They were 18, IIRC. So what, Luke and Leia were 19, the actors a bit older.

My favorite EU novels. I refuse to listen to the abridged audiobooks. But the unabridged version of H2TE with Marc Thompson is incredible. Waiting for DFR and TLC.

However, GL and TZ always maintained that if there were a ST, it’d be original.

darth_of_denmark likes this.
  6. darth_of_denmark

Mar 10, 2005
    EDIT: Pls ignore or delete this dear Mods. Was tired and started going way offtopic :D

7. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I like the Post ROTJ eu and canon stuff we are getting because it's fun and it's more Starwars, but the resistance and FO feels redundant. It's like when the Sith came back in the EU over and over, as if the chosen one prophecy was pointless.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    One thing I will say, I'm a lot more excited for it now than I would have been if CT were still directing.

9. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I am disappointed. After the space chase in VIII I was eager to see a high heel chase in IX

10. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I'm less excited for 9 than I was for 7 and 8, but a large part of that is because of the negativity in the fanbase. I enjoyed 7 and 8 quite a bit, but part of the fun was getting wrapped up in all the excitement most other fans were feeling. After TLJ, there's just been so much negativity and vitriol all over the internet, it kind of sucked the fun out of SW. I'm hoping that some of the excitement returns to the fanbase when we start getting trailers, but I have a bad feeling there's still going to be a lot of "Looks like it will suck," or "Meh. Looks okay, but so did TLJ, and that ended up sucking."
    The other reason I'm less excited is simply because we're getting new SW movies all the time now. It's hard to see them as big events anymore,

Roosterq likes this.
  11. edustarling

edustarling Jedi Padawan

Dec 28, 2017
    Before TFA I was definitely. My excitement came with the first trailer and then my mind was blown with the "Chewie, we're home" part. The same happened with TLJ trailer, specially with "It's time for the jedi to end". After TLJ (aka starwars road movie), my expectations started with Luke, Leia (unused footage) and Lando confirmed. Still waiting for Dennis Lawson to show up, and of course the first teaser / trailer

12. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Level of anticipation...? Honestly zero. Hopefully that changes. I'm not even upset at TLJ as a film - It just killed anything interesting moving forward.

Blackhole E Snoke and woj101 like this.
  13. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Through the roof - not only for 9, but also for the tonne of printed material (Novels and Comics) that will proceed it concerning Luke and all of those years between ROTJ and TFA. Can't wait for both!!

14. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    Both TLJ and Solo deflated me a bit, but i assume my hype will grow when we start seeing some actual footage.

Avnar likes this.
  15. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    Not as excited honestly. I liked TFA and loved TLJ, but the end of TLJ doesn't really leave you hanging the way TESB did.

16. Contreras1991

Contreras1991 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 18, 2017
    my levels of excitment are at the same level that they were in TFA and TLJ, i enjoy star wars a lot

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's my second most anticipated flick, just behind Avengers 4. Avengers 3 just had a better cliffhanger. TLJ was the better film overall.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  18. Jedi Star Tea

Jedi Star Tea Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2018
    More anticipated than the first two. Partly because it's the climax, but also because I'm hoping JJ fixes the things I haven't liked.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  19. Porkins2099

Porkins2099 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2016
    As excited as TFA and TLJ. I'm really curious how Abrams will handle the outcome of things that happened in VIII. Plus I want to go back with the Big 3 that Abrams introduced with such energy and joy. I missed the Rey/Finn and Finn/Poe dynamic so much.

20. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Not that high. Much more excited about the two live action TV shows, the B&W trilogy and the RJ trilogy. The ST story feels thin and stretched. Like “butter scraped over too much bread,” to borrow a phrase from a diminutive friend of mine. Hopefully, JJ will surprise me with something that’s both exciting and galaxy-expanding.

Avnar likes this.
  21. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000
    Yeh, it just feels like there's too much to do now to turn this trilogy into the satisfying addition to the saga that I allowed myself to think might be coming after TFA.

Part of me hasn't given up hope is that there really is a bit more going on behind the scenes tying this trilogy together - I never believed the idea that Rian Johnson was given a free rein to write whatever he wanted. But TLJ has made me start to believe it more.

And if there was a complete trilogy plot outline before TFA was written (surely there was!?!?!), it must have taken a fairly big hit when Carrie Fisher died, and there's just no way they can overcome that as well as originally intended... not unless something magical happens.

JJ earned my trust. The fact he agreed to take this film on suggests reason for hope to me. But on the other hand I am shackled by this nagging feeling that everyone involved in this trilogy is just there for the quick cash grab. Can't quite fathom it, but I can't shake the feeling either.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  22. Matty20172018

Matty20172018 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2017
    TBH I was more excited for ROTS than I was for any of the sequel trilogy films. I was excited for TFA obviously, especially when announced in 2012; That was awesome, it was like unbelievable because at the time it seemed impossible that more Star Wars films were going to happen anytime soon.
    But in the lead up to the films release I was more generally looking forward to the film than really giddy to see it. With AOTC and ROTS I remember being very excited to go to the theatre to watch those films. And being the days before fast broadband I really didn't know huge amounts the films going in... I actually had to wait for MAGAZINES and stuff back in those 'day's.'
    Anyway, I was 24 when TFA came out so I was more sedate I guess.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  23. Matty20172018

Matty20172018 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2017
    JJ seems to be like the safe option to me. Will this be a by the number film?
    The interesting thing about IX is how you actually end it. The prequels ended with the bad guys winning. The originals ended with wild celebration and a fairy tale ending. How will these films end?
    The titles of the two previous third trilogy films kind of give away the ended with 'Revenge' and then 'Return'.

24. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    When LFL announced the ST and when they said the EU was not canon anymore hinting that the ST will not follow the EU I was really excited.

Ahead of TFA I didn't do spoilers and tried as much to go watch it with an open mind and a new perspective (I watched Star Wars in 77 as a kid, it's the first movie I can recall watching and have watched all movies since). It didn't blow me away but it didn't turned me off either. I was surprised by the flashback scene by just touching the LS which we've never seen happened before. Luke didn't get a vision when Obiwan gave him the same LS. Neither did Han when he picket it up in Hoth. So it didn't make sense to me. Didn't like Maz. Really disliked Luke not being there, Rey seemed to be able to do all the Jedi powers without training, etc. etc. But as I kept an open mind I thought that the next episode will further explain or expand on these nuances introduced in TFA.

Because I wasn't blown away by TFA, when TLJ was getting closer I read up all the spoilers I could. And with every new spoiler my level of dread kept going up. I didn't go on opening night or opening weekend but waited to see actual spoilers from people that watched it and it wasn't pretty. So I went to see it on the second week and I almost walked out of the movie. To me TLJ is a mess of a story. Didn't like any aspect of it if I'm honest. Not only did it not expand on the nuances of TFA but it went for the shock of thinking it's going one way and going another and then another (subverting expectations some called this, I just call it a bad story).

So now EPIX is coming. I'm really not excited at all for this movie. But being a SW fan since childhood and now in my late 40s it's hard to let go. So I come to these boards to try and find a reason to be at least looking forward for EPIX.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  25. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Im more curious than excited.