main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What's your opinion on Sheev Palpatine coming back as the main villain of the Sequel Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthVist, Sep 8, 2020.

?

Do you like the idea of them bringing him back as the main and final villain of the Sequel Trilogy?

1. Love it, and I'm glad they brought him back

36 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Hate it, and think that he should have remained dead

172 vote(s)
    56.4%
  3. Have mixed feelings about it

97 vote(s)
    31.8%
  1. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    After what happened in ROTJ, I can see him isolating himself, in theory. Snoke isn't invulnerable.

2. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014

YES! You get it now!!! And in your own words. Excellent!!!!
    Going by just the movies it’s not clear how strong in the Force Snoke is. We only see Snoke in one location sitting on a thrown. It’s a controlled environment. There is a lot of unusual tech and machines in that room. Even the thrown is on some sort of electrified platform.

When Snoke uses Force Lightening on Kylo Ren it bounces off the floor and is very brief. There are also those tall aliens in robes who monitor a machine. We see another of that same machine later on Exegol.

Is it possible the physical feats of Force strength Snoke displays are part of the Wizard of Oz illusion? When Rey is lifted off the ground is that Snoke’s Force power or a trick? Is it actually tractor beans?

However the Snoke puppet works, the mental Force powers are real. Palpatine is doing that himself long distance through Snoke. That’s what sells the illusion to Rey and Kylo about Force lightening and being levitated. To another Force user Palpatine projecting into Snoke makes Snoke feel very powerful in the Force. And Palpatine is actually reading minds and using those sort of Force powers through Snoke/

It’s the opposite of Chancelor Palpatine hiding his Force abilities around the Jedi. But here it’s making a puppet body, a re-animated brain dead corps with beating heart, appear to not only be alive but strong with the Force.

As for Palpatine leaving Exegol. The Sith Lord may only be kept alive because of the power on Exegol. And if Snoke is a puppet sold by tricks and illusions then that body isn’t strong enough to sustain Palpatine.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    wreath likes this.
  3. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Bold is all you really need to say, my friend. The movies are not clear. Exactly.

And yes, I know what TROS says of Palpatine. I know it retcons the trilogy. It still doesn't mean he - Palpatine - and Snokeltine, is in Ep 7 or 8. Palpatine wasn't in EP 4, but he was mentioned a few times. He's part of that story personally. And then he shows up in EP 5, to tell Vader what to do. And then we finally get to see him face to face in EP 6. See? That's how you weave a character into all three episodes, thus making him a part of the trilogy. The ST does not. It needs to retcon Palpatine to save face because....

"Going by just the movies it’s not clear"

2Cleva likes this.
  4. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    I wrote that so you didn’t start quoting novels and comic books that show Snoke in other locations or using Force powers. Thank you for not doing that.

And TROS does make it clear it is Palpatine all along. The First Order. The Final Order. The corruption of Ben Solo. The fall of Luke Skywalker and his new Jedi. That was all the work of Palpatine.

Whether it was known in 2012 or a late change made in 2017 - it doesn’t matter. That’s what happens in the story.

You know it’s true.

wreath and StartCenterEnd like this.
  5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That machine was a long-distance viewing device, I don't remember seeing it on Exegol.

6. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    That's what the story is... for now. Then the next movie could retcon that it wasn't Palpatine after all and that'll be the story then. Its hard to take the sequels seriously as a trustworthy source when its obvious they had no plans and the sequels themselves are sniping at each other.

Its not like Star Wars movies haven't had retcons before, but the OT still had some plans from the beginning. The sequels were just an out of control trainwreck, where one director can kill off the big bad and prop up Kylo instead, no matter how pathetic he is, leaving two other directors to flail around and try to come up with an ending for the sequel trilogy, leading to TROS.

2Cleva and ChildOfWinds like this.
  7. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    That’s it. It’s on Exegol too. I like the name ‘Long Distance viewing device’. I feel like that’s what Palpatine was using it for with Snoke.

Looking at Wookiepedia - it’s called an Oculus (Device). And is listed as being in The Last Jedi and Sith Citadel on Exegol in The Rise of Skywalker.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Oculus_(device)

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Okay, I think I see it now, assuming this image is legit:
    [​IMG]
    But I never noticed it watching the film.

9. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    I thought that was a gravitron. You know Palpy likes the rides.

[​IMG]

10. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Rewatching TROS today I noticed when Palps says “She will draw her saber. She will come to me.” etc, is he using mind trick on her?

I always read his narration as merely being part of the ritual, and/or perhaps relishing his control and manipulation of the situation, understanding and sensing Rey’s rage and what he presumes she would do, just like with Kylo in the Snoke death scene.

But here, he says “she will” this and that, which is kind of like the wording of a mind trick. Would you prefer if he was or wasn’t trying to literally force her?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  11. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Please don't over think this.... He's just predicting the future and giving outright orders. Like he does in all the movies.

Vader: He will come to me?
    Palps: I have foreseen it. His compassion for you will be his undoing. He will come to you and then you will bring him before me.
    Vader: As you wish.

[​IMG]

12. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I am curious about the Snoke situation and hope we get more insight into him and his connection to Palpatine. The rumor that was from the trusted leaked seemed to point pretty closely toward increased ST ties as early as the next season and I suspect those will continue as the show gets closer to the ST timeline of events. Filoni is very good at fleshing ideas out more so I’m curious and excited by what he might do with all of this clone stuff.

13. wreath

wreath Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 21, 2021
    the same

14. wreath

Aug 21, 2021
    oops nvm i misread the comment

15. wreath

Aug 21, 2021
    like you darth vader

16. wreath

Aug 21, 2021
    yep agreed

17. wreath

Aug 21, 2021
    agreed

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Five posts in a row, nice.

19. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Quintuple posting is highly encouraged here.

20. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Agreed with both posts. Palpatine returning was a retcon and I strongly suspect a Trojan horse to setup the next retcon.

21. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    No Palpatine coming back was not a retcon. A retcon is when you say something as fact and then go against it. Like boba, Maul or survived their ordeal. its not a retcon.

22. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Of course it was a retcon. Palpatine died in EP 6, thus allowing Anakin to fulfill the prophecy and destroy the Sith, and he was still dead in EP 7, and 8. But then in EP 9, sike, he's retconned as being alive and well, hiding out on Exogol the entire time, and secretly has been plotting the entire ST era nonsense.

I'm not sure why people are so against it. Retcons happen all the time in SW.

darkspine10, 2Cleva and Lulu Mars like this.
  23. Qui-Gon Keith

Qui-Gon Keith Jedi Master star 2

Oct 5, 2015
    Even if it's a retcon, I absolutely love the idea of Palpatine back in TROS. More Ian McDiarmid in SW is never a bad thing.

24. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Is presumed dead a retcon? Presumably it takes abit more to really make that a retcon.

I don't believe thats a retcon. you may not agree with their decision to do it, but i don't think it makes it a retcon.

25. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    It sounds to me like you're making up your own rules here. Retcon = retroactive continuity. It's retroactively altering how things add up.
    A retcon doesn't have to contradict an explicit statement, or even something implied. Just adding context to alter our understanding of something is also a retcon.

Palpatine's return is a retcon. As is the First Order rising from the ashes of the Empire. And Qui-Gon being Obi-Wan's Master. And Luke having a sister. And Vader being his father. Etc.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
    Fredrik Vallestrand, EHT and 2Cleva like this.