main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What's your opinion on Sheev Palpatine coming back as the main villain of the Sequel Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthVist, Sep 8, 2020.

?

Do you like the idea of them bringing him back as the main and final villain of the Sequel Trilogy?

1. Love it, and I'm glad they brought him back

36 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Hate it, and think that he should have remained dead

172 vote(s)
    56.4%
  3. Have mixed feelings about it

97 vote(s)
    31.8%
  1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Agreed, and it makes NO SENSE.

If Palpatine had just come back and was dead for 30 years, I could see some truth in that line, but with what we got it makes no sense.

How does balance even temporary exist, in an age where the Sith are still alive (though in hiding) and plotting his revenge which once again leads to planet destroying superweapons, factions that mimic the Empire, a fallen Skywalker, a destroyed republic, and the Jedi almost wiped out again.

Anakin saying there was balance is like saying there was balance in the TPM-AoTC gap. Sure that era had a Republic/Jedi existing, but like the New Republic, both factions were going to be devastated in its future by a Sith plotting in said eras.

DarthFixxxer and ChildOfWinds like this.
  2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Balance can be short lived or it can long. Depends on the situation. Also someone working trough Anakin Skywalker could also achive balance like the prophecy says in master and apprentice.

3. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Hmmmm - am I reading you right here? Are you for or against Reylo?

As for Kylo being an "inadequate" character? Wow. IMO it is Rey that is totally inadequate. She has zero charisma. No emotional arcs really at all. Same tone through the entire series. Very boring and even if she has Palpatine blood she was still a tad to great at everything right out of the gate. Theres no development there to cling to. The opening scenes of TFA do set her up as a possibly good character but by the end of TROS I wasnt impressed at all. Maybe Daisy Ridley isnt a good actress? I felt she was bland in Murder on the Orient Express too. Oh well. There was a meme/quote about how Adam Driver needed back surgery after the sequels because he carried the entire trilogy on his back the whole time. Kylo should have stayed bad and Palps should have been left at the bottom of the 2nd death star shaft. That would have worked infnitely better than what we got. IMO.

4. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The only reason Adam Driver had to "carry the ST on his back" was because LFL and Rian Johnson sabotaged and undercut Rey and Finn while being an unfortunate mixture of obsessed with Kylo and unaware of how one-dimensional he was overall - Driver wound up being the good actor with a very limited character at the center of a story that displaced a more complex and functional male lead in Finn and that neutered the main character of Rey through Reylo, or more specifically, the type of Reylo the films went with - a drama killing and shallow trashy romance.

Reylo, as it worked out, be came a fatal poison to any and all goals of making the ST about Rey - primarily because it cut off any attempt to use Kylo in a good way for Rey... and it also limited Kylo's appeal because it depends on a shallow interpretation of him in the films.

It's not a coincidence that TFA, the film that focused more on a three-way (or four-way) shouldering of the film between 1. Rey, 2. Finn, and then 3. Kylo (and 4. Han, or even 3. Han and then 4. Kylo) made $700 Million more than TLJ, which was mainly 1. Luke and 2. Kylo (both at Rey and Finn's expense), and $1 Billion more than TROS, which saw a sort of war between the undercut-by-TLJ-and-still-handicapped-by-Reylo Rey and the still-shallow-but-easier-to-market Kylo.

In other words: Kylo acting in true support of Rey and Finn made twice as much money as films that tried to make Kylo be above Rey and Finn.

And it's not because Driver did a bad job - it's because Kylo is a limited character. Ridley isn't a bad actress, but a good one - she got screwed when her character of Rey was forbidden from treating Kylo as loathsome scum and got shackled with a hack romance that killed her character's appeal and left her without a human being to play. And Boyega is clearly a great actor... and was wasted in a support role in the other films out of paranoia his character "didn't know his place" in comparison to Kylo.

Kylo is comparable to LeSean McCoy - when serving a role on a team, he's an asset, and while still a superstar when he's the only offensive weapon, making him the only offensive weapon is bad for the team.

TFA was a better movie than the others because Kylo wasn't yet a liability to the other leads. The ST lost money because LFL sabotaged the other leads while Kylo didn't grow to be more than a one-dimensional brat of a villain even when the films focused more on him.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  5. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Terrible. It renders ROTJ completely pointless. Our OT heroes have achieved nothing and Anakins final sacrifice was in vain.

There was so much more they could have done. The Sith are bigger than the Emperor.

And I adore the Emperor in all his camp cackling glory - But his story is over with ROTJ.

6. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    I genuinely love the ST. I'll elaborate as to why if you care to read a bit.

For me, Star Wars has never been incredibly cerebral. Star Wars is not sci-fi. Star Wars is a fairy tail in space and I enjoy it as such. There are many elements/moments/plot points throughout the entire saga that fall apart when you apply logic or scrutinize them.
    That has never mattered to me because the heart of Star Wars is much more about the heroic journey, mythology, adventure, romance, etc.

In addition to all that is the ASTOUNDING visual and auditory language that was created for these films. The production design, the look and the feel of the OT was something that had never been seen before and completely altered popular culture. I felt that the ST got back to the classic Star Wars look/feel that had been missing in the PT. The ST communicated visually in a way that had been missing from Star Wars films since 1983.

Lastly, the dialogue was much more like the OT than the dry/stilted material in the PT. It seems like a little thing, but the way characters talk/communicate in the OT is a HUGE part of it's appeal. It grounds the space fantasy and makes it tangible. It makes the myth come alive.

For me, the Sequel Trilogy delivered on all fronts.
    The ST gave me new characters with familiar archetypes and classic mythology & fairytale tropes. I absolutely love the new characters. Especially Kylo Ren and Rey.

Ren is like a space version King Arthur's Mordred. The classic dark prince archetype. He/Adam Driver a perfect in that role. Yeah, you maybe feel a bit bad for him, but mostly he's a whiny dick that you love to hate.

Ah, Rey. At first glance, Rey simply seems like a female version of Luke. Yet, she's more than that. Sure, some fans bemoan the fact that Rey seems to gain powers/status without earning/working/suffering for them. What is missed is that, unlike Luke , Rey is engaging in the heroes journey. She is engaging in what Maureen Murdock (jungian psychotherapist and student of Joseph Campbell) calls "The Heroine's Journey." There is a reason that Rey's struggles, conflicts, victories, are different than Luke's. For me, this was a fascinating new take on a classic fairytale adventure and something that hadn't been seen in Star Wars yet despite the fact that we have wonderfully strong characters with both Leia and Padme. Lastly, I find it completely inspired/inspiring that the message with Rey is this: You get to define yourself. That the good that saves the world/galaxy can come from the worst of situations/people/places/heritages.

Also, the characters in the ST got back to speaking to each other with the witty banter that permeated the OT. I love the Prequels, but the dialog was dry as hell. The banter that was there felt very forced and stilted. Only Ewan McGregor seemed capable of injecting humor and life into his lines. As I said, this may seem like a trivial thing, but the way characters talk/communicate in the OT is a HUGE part of it's appeal. It grounds the space fantasy and makes it tangible. It make the myth come alive.

As I said before, the ST also communicated itself visually using the classic Star Wars look/design. I get that some fans are upset that the ST simply expanded/updated a lot of previously existing Star Wars production design and iconography. I loved that.

When I think of Star Wars designs, I think of X-Wings and TIE fighters rather than shiny, yellow, Naboo Star fighters, or Flash Gordon-esque chrome space ships.

When I think of Star Wars I picture the results of kit bashing, I picture scorch marks, dirt, sand, grime, Ralph McQuarrie, and the lived in universe look. The ST returned to all of that. Again, the ST communicated visually in the classic Star Wars language that we love. I am not going to turn my nose at the films because it didn't reinvent the wheel as Lucas was known to do. Some can call it derivative, I call it Star Wars as it was meant to be.

I'm sorry, can you explain what you mean? You want me to tell you why I think retconning Vader to being "The Chosen One" is limiting?

7. fugacity

fugacity Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2018
    Bad idea coupled with horrible execution.

I agree, him being around for the past 30 years is nonsensical. It's jammed in where it doesn't fit.

I'll disagree with much of what's been said above. They shoudl have leaned into TLJ, love it or hate it, you can't just reboot for the last movie. JJ embarrassed himself on this one. Sure, @godisawesome would still hate it, but they weren't going to be convinced after TLJ anyway. At least it wouldn't have been a nonsensical U-turn that resulted in some of the aboslute worst film-making in starwars. Make that THE worst. Might as well have people looking at the camera explaining everything.

8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Kylo just wound't work as a villain and JJ knew this that's why he wanted to bring back Palpatine but he got pushback from LF so instead he made Palpatine copy named Snoke. RJ actually freed JJ to do what he wanted in first place and bring back Palpatine. I think JJ just made SNoke to give Kylo a master and because he cound't use Palpatine. Snoke was just placeholder for Palpatine.

9. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Kylo couldn't be Vader without an emperor figure. and Kylo was too unstable to be an emperor figure or an ultimate boss.

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Yeah Kylo was never meant to be the villain but the apprentice of one. He's victim of the emperor figure.

11. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    What I'm saying is that the Chosen One prophecy, in the way the PT treats it, doesn't actually "limit" Anakin's character at all.

12. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    ...I'm actually intrigued a bit by how far you think TROS diverges from the natural progression of TLJ; not out of anger here, but genuine curiosity.

Because I *DO* feel TROS rejected parts of TLJ... but there are other parts that feel very faithful to me, and I think that there's something like that for most critics *and* supporters of TLJ.

Like, how much did TROS reject TLJ? 90%? 50%? 15%?

For instance, I think that TROS's character priorities and conflict priorities are actually pretty faithful to TLJ - Finn is still a supporting character, Kylo is Rey's male lead and romantic interest and regarded by the story as inherently sympathetic, and while Rey is now not a Random, she still isn't a Skywalker the way most people though she could be, and her story is still about defining herself without her parents doing that for her.

Don't get me wrong: the biggest divergences for me are Kylo being replaced by Palpatine as the Big Bad and Rey having an important heritage, and there, I think i might be closer to you in my reaction - I actually did want Kylo to remain the Big Bad, and while I didn't like Rey Random, Rey being powerful because of Palpatine is basically the same thing to me in impact.

For me, TROS feels about 75% like a faithful sequel to TLJ; a new Bigger Bad is honestly the only distinct change I see in how the film follows up its predecessor's attitudes and priorities. (That's in terms of plot, mind you; I wouldn't argue the execution is faithful, but i don't think directors should have the same style of execution anyway.)

So... like how much do *you* regard Kylo being supplanted as the main villain so he can be redeemed as a divergence? Because I do feel like reactions like this:

...reflect more TLJ thinking than TFA thinking.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Point being Kylo was always going to be an underling to abigger bad, Snoke/Palpatine dosen't matter.

14. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    That is an entirely baseless assertion. If anything, the most interesting route that he could have gone as a villain would have been when he assumed the mantle of the overarching antagonist, a position that was usually filled by Palpatine before this.

15. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    No TFA was the one that set up the Snoke and Kylo scenario. Kylo also walked around with a mask like Vader. it was the exact same scenario. just because Kylo killed his dad doesn't mean much at all, because people could still see the redemption seeds being laid.

Its just some hoped he wouldn't be redeemed.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  16. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I remember Lucas mentioned something about Vader. He said that Vader wasn't really redeemed in the sense that it made up for everything, but he stopped the evil. And he stopped doing evil things. Same with Kylo.

17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Yeah but if he was the villain would he have a redeem arc? that is the question. If Darth Vader was the main villain would he have been redeemed.

18. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    No, because he doesn't deserve one and hasn't come close to earning one.

wobbits and Jedi_Fenrir767 like this.
  19. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    No villain earns a redemption. earning doesn't make that decision to redeem themselves.

20. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Yeah, they do. Otherwise, said redemption comes off as a laughable contrivance. Which Ben's is.

21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Neither did Vader. Only because the love of his son. But Ben is not as dark as Vader and there's more light in his, he's in a grey between light and dark. Olny thing he needed was his father.

22. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Not really. Bens emotional flaw was laid fairly bare in TFA. much more then most villains get tbh.

Whether he earnt it or not makes it sound like a judge must determine if they can be redeemed. when that doesn't stop a villain switching sides and doing things differently based on whatever reason.

23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think Ben and Maul are similar in some ways. Only Maul instead of looking trough the light he went futher and futher into the darkness and olny in death was he redeemed.

24. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    No, Anakin's redemption is entirely earned because the way he was as Vader was his punishment as he not only lost everything but he merely became the Emperor's slave just as he was born a slave on Tatooine. That is his tragedy and it's one that he ultimately brings on himself. Kylo lost nothing and when he killed the man who supposedly coerced him into doing everything he did, he just kept doing it all for his own benefit.

It can't just be based on whatever reason. Something integral to their character has to spark that development. This is why people make a comparison to the likes of Zuko so often and frankly, even Vader's a better example of this after the events of Empire.

25. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    It s lot easier to have him be redeemed and still serve as a satisfying antagonist if he's the flunky rather than the main villain... but it's not impossible to have him be the main villain and get redeemed - though that *is* a trickier twist to pull with Kylo because of the films he is in, and may be impossible if it's Rey's story and not his.

Having another Big Bad in the story lets Kylo try to act in support of resolving someone else's conflict and enhances his redemption story by letting him strike against an external conflict instead of just relying on his own internal conflict - it could have given him easier access to be Rey's sidekick in her story and made sure his redemption was more than a last minute pity party on his part.

TROS still didn't really do it well, mind you, though I think the idea was always going to be severely flawed after the preceding two films, but that was the gist of having Palpatine return for Ben Solo's sake.

Trevorrow's Duel of the Fates script kind of shows where the Morton's Fork is in keeping Kylo as the main villain but trying to give him a redemption: Kylo is arguably unable to make up the same sympathetic ground if he can't fight someone as he could in TROS, but he's also still stealing the show from Rey if he has to give up the fight instead of being defeated by her.

I thinkt he set-up was fatally flawed overall by the two previous films - Kylo kind if needed to be more developed and simultaneously not risk overwhelming Rey as the main character while doing so, and I don't think that was really actionable after TFA and TLJ.