main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [Wheel of Time] A Memory of Light (HTR spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jek_Windu, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    So, what is everyone's theories on how things are going to end up? How is the Last Battle going to start, be fought?

Personally, I think armies of Shadowspawn are going to use the Ways to attack most if not all major cities on the continent, all while Rand, Mat, and Perrin lead their armies in a massive strike at Shayol Ghul.

2. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    There's gotta be some action at Shayol Ghul at some point.

Rand will kill Lanfear/Cyndane and maybe one or two other of the Forsaken, but I think someone else will deal the coup de gras to Moridin/Ishamael.

The Dark One isn't a very fleshed-out enemy, so I have no idea how the final confrontation between him and Rand will play out.

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I've decided that I'm excited about this.

I read Mistborn and it was amazing; I can't stop thinking about it. I don't really see Sanderson's style being that close to Jordan's, but he's a very good author.

4. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    RAVEN:

What are these The Path of Kings books about? If you have any knowledge of them. Amazon doesn't really have anything on them.

5. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    No clue. Sorry. Check his website?

6. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    What is the site?

I just bought Mistborn and Elantris an hour ago. Looking foward to them.

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Mistborn is freaking sweet. The third book in the trilogy isn't due out until fall [face_plain]

8. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Yar. It's one of those gems of fantasy that I recommend to people, they give me funny looks, and then those that actually read the series come back and say "OMG, tyvm, I couldn't put it down." The first book is like Oceans 11 in a world that's pretty much toast. The second book is more of a political thriller. Both books have some of the sweetest action scenes ever written. Both books have a sweet little romance plotline. Both books have a major tragedy or two in them. And both books to date are very, very well written.

I think that if WOT is going to have some main characters die, Sanderson is the man to write the story.

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I agree. Maybe that's one of the reasons Harriet chose him to finish it?

10. Kuru-Dawson

Kuru-Dawson Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2008
    I'm actually a newbiew to the series, so I suppose I couldn't have picked a better time to get into it, eh? Seeing as how it will be completel soon enough . . .

I'm actually quite enjoying ti so far, very fresh take on old fantasy styles.

11. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    WOW! I will say it again WOW!!!!

Elantris......is so sweet, I read as much as I could this weekend inbetween watching my two kids and going to my nieces B-Day party. I put away almost 400 pgs. I usually read a new Star Wars book that fast but take my time with non SW books.

If Elantris is any clue than I must say.....Wheel of Time is in great hands.

12. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Compared to Mistborn, Elantris is the work of a rank amature.

Honestly.

Sanderson, in my opinion, deserves to be one of the big names in fantasy. His prose is smooth, his stories are the perfect mix of bitter and sweet, and his plots are outside the ordinary. He doesn't go too dark like some authors do, in order to come across as Serious Literature. And neither does he ever pull any punches and come across lightly.

The only other author currently writing that I find to be as consistantly good as Sanderson is Jim Butcher. Butcher's prose is no where near as good as Sandersons, but his stories are just as good, his humor is better, and his worlds are maybe a little more interesting.

13. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I've been considering reading WoT for a long time, but I've been waiting till the series is finally finished. Also heard the series starts to loose quality in the later novel. Any opinions on this?

14. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Most people say that books 7-10 basically suck.

I however love book 7 it is my second fav next to 2.

Books 8-10 are boring yes. Book 10 is a true struggle to get through.

11 really starts to pick up again though, he ended alot of plot threads that opened up in book 7-10.

15. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    The middle books weren't great (5,7,8) but I enjoyed 9 and 10 and 11. IMO the first is the best, but the series picks up from the middle-book slump near the end.

16. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Book 9 started out slow, but the final act more than made up for it. The scenes with Rand and Nynaeve at Shadar Logoth were amazing.

17. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I would have agree there.

That ending was very good indeed.

I just didn't like POD really because there was no Mat in it!

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I second that :(

19. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    So, yeah, as I've mentioned, Brandon is a BYU grad student/teacher and this week is our sci-fi/fantasy symposium. I'm on the organizing committee and we had our annual pre-con dinner. Well, Brandon showed up and the available seats were next to me, so I shared my garlic bread, talked to him about how cool Mistborn was and how daunting a task his new Wheel of Time project is going to be. He and his wife were so nice.

20. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I just hope that TOR Fantasy doesn't decide to break this book up into the all important number 13 that Jordan had going.

I wonder how much Sanderson actually has to write? Didn't Jordan say that he had a good chunck of the book written?

21. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I think Jordan had the outline of the story firmly written, and Sanderson is just filling in the gaps.

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Everything I've read, including stuff by Brandon, mentions that it will just be one book.

23. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I hope so on that.

I remember Jordan saying that it would be last book no matter if it was a 2500 pg hardcover. With him passing though, I hope Tor honors that and I know Brandon will be up to the challege to write it.

As far as how much Jordan had done I hope that it is possible that he had the ending written. That would make it alot sweeter when I finished if so.

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    He had it written or at least planned out in detail. And Tom Dorety (sp) who is the president or TOR is supposed to have been friends with Jordan.

25. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Well I finished reading The Final Empire yesterday.

I must say it was good but I liked Elantris a whole lot better. I was a bit dissapointed with the ending. I won't be getting Well of Acension until June when the paperback comes out. I have too many HC's and not enough room anymore. My wife is starting to get mad. lol.

I have questions about TFE so I will be PMing you RAVEN.