main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CVII When are you planning to queue for Thursday morning panel?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by JXD, Apr 10, 2015.

1. JXD

JXD Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2015
    As the title goes. :)
    I've got a medical badge because of my knees, so I reckon I'll queue up at 5:45am as requested.

2. Oddacon

Oddacon Jedi Knight

Mar 19, 2015
    I can't see myself lining up the night before. At this point I might just shoot for a over-flow room and maybe get there around 5am. Which may or may not pan out.

3. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    People will be waiting from the moment that line forms, trust me. The real question is just how many are crazy enough to wait all night?

I'll try to get in line in the early AM hours if possible, but my world won't end if I don't get into the same room as JJ.

4. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    If you figure that the Celebration Stage holds ~7,500 people, and the total capacity of all the stages showing the panel is ~13,500, that's a hell of a lot of people that have to be in line ahead of you to not get in. If you don't have your heart set on getting into the Celebration Stage, I'm sure you could show up after 9am and still get a seat in one of the overflow rooms.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If you haven't seen it yet, the Celebration Site has posted the official plan for the panel queue.

6. Not_Skippy

Not_Skippy Jedi Master

Apr 6, 2008
    That page is pretty well-detailed, though the question of if one who attempts to queue after 6am will be able to get a wristband is still up in the air. It would be insane if you couldn't, right?

7. Jopari

Jopari Jedi Padawan

Apr 11, 2015
    In my opinion, the organization of the line is a good thing, though I wish they would give out wristbands right away when you get into line, and just not let people leave the line without giving up their wristband. They get it back if they hand over a bathroom pass or something.
    Anyways, they could organize it even better if they wanted to.

The bad part about this whole thing, is that they basically just set the bar for when you should arrive to guarantee seating in the live event in the Arena. At comic con, for a one hour panel, id be willing to line up 2-4 hours ahead of time. For ALL day in Hall H, 12 hours ahead is not unheard of. But 16 hours ahead for a 45minute panel !!?? and to top it off, its being streamed live all over the world, and in other rooms at the convention itself.

Any threads or discussions of when you are lining up, will only fuel the frenzy. I mean, not saying it wont be worth it. I'm just trying to talk 30k people out of lining up early so that I will have a chance myself lol.

/sigh

Anyways... ill be lining up at 8AM Thursday ;)

8. D-Ludicrous

D-Ludicrous Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2006
    I'll be one of the crazy people lining up at midnight and hopefully get a spot on the main stage.

ANGRY_LEIA likes this.
  9. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    It's nice of them to make it comfortable for the all nighters. I just wish they wouldn't publicize the fact. People lining up hours and hours ahead of time has led to a serious decline in my enjoyment of conventions. I wish they hadn't encouraged people to line up 16 hours early. Just say wristbands at 6am.

10. D-Ludicrous

Oct 26, 2006
    Why do you care? Why should people who sit in line by their own choice take away from your enjoyment? Do you let other determine how happy you should be? Doesn't make sense.

ANGRY_LEIA likes this.
  11. 80ninjas

80ninjas Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2014
    Honestly, I'm not even going to try to get into the Celebration Stage. I'm long past my days of waiting overnight for anything, so I was just going to go straight to an overflow room around 8 or 9. I don't need to be in the main room to see the same 2 minute trailer everyone else is wanting to see.

12. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I care because I know that what starts out as a few people trying to get the best seats eventually alters everyone else's perception of the demand to get in and more and more of the people who want to attend begin to arrive earlier and earlier because of that perception until it becomes a necessary part of attending. This diminishes my enjoyment because I end up having to decide whether to wait in a line for half a day or miss something I would like to see.

13. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    It's nothing new. Star Wars fans have been waiting in line since 1977.

14. ANGRY_LEIA

ANGRY_LEIA Jedi Master star 1

May 15, 2002
    I plan on getting into line early on...at least give it a shot. If I just can't do it, well it's back to the hotel! :)

15. D-Ludicrous

Oct 26, 2006

Welcome to Celebration, we have been doing that since the first one. The supply and demand of seats at different panels is the same with any convention you go to. It the nature of the beast. To paraphrase Gandalf "We cannot see everything at Celebration we just have to decide what to do with the time given to us."
    With JJ and KK panel what will you be missing other than sleep?
    Go and see the the things you WANT to see then you will feel you haven't missed anything.

16. 80ninjas

Apr 25, 2014
    They're showing it in so many rooms that, if someone wants to see the panel, they'll likely be able to see it in somewhere. Considering they've made it clear there are overflow rooms, I don't see people looking at this as "Oh, I HAVE to wait overnight for this panel."

TechEd (now Ignite) is very similar: You can either wait in line to try to get into the keynote room, or go straight to an overflow room and just watch it on a big screen.

I do think that a lot of people are going to be disappointed with this panel. If it really just is Abrams and Kennedy, I think we're going to be in for 48 minutes of "meh" and two minutes of "ZOMG TRAILER!!!!!!"

Which is another reason why I'll be heading straight for an overflow room.

17. D-Ludicrous

Oct 26, 2006
    If all you care about is the trailer why bother going to the panel. I'm sure they will be playing the trailer over and over again in some forms throughout the 4 days. Some people are interested in what JJ and KK have to say about the future of Star Wars.

18. 80ninjas

Apr 25, 2014
    Looking at my post, it does look like I'm not interested in the panel. I didn't mean it to come across like that. I'm interested in the panel, but I was just saying that I think some people might have unrealistic expectations of what it's going to include. I don't see them giving us many new details on the post-Episode 7 plans since the Disney marketing machine is about to go into full "episode 7" mode.

19. Darth Sone

Darth Sone Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    Just throwing in my 2 cents worth here as well, but this is what happens when queues are not organised in advance:
    [​IMG]

This was for Benedict Cumberbatch at Oz Comic-Con in Adelaide in 2014. I'm happy that SWCA have decided to allow people to line up 16 hours in advance, and if you yourself decide not to bother, then so be it.

I'll be heading straight to an overflow room as well, as I quite like my sleep and plan to enjoy the whole Thursday without crashing at noon.

20. MannieBothans

MannieBothans Jedi Master

Oct 8, 2002
    I see people keep saying, they are live-streaming it. I know they are sending feeds to specific locations worldwide, but some chatter has almost sounded like the whole opening will be viewable live online. Is this the case? If so, where?

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I know there's a cinema in London doing it - there's a thread on it in the UK Fan Force forum. A couple of our members have posted that they won tickets to the event. Haven't heard anything about online though.

22. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    "Won"?? Isn't it a free event? It's free in Denmark with plenty of tickets - no point in winning tickets here.

23. Carrie1138

Carrie1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 14, 2014
    It's free, but tickets were allocated via a competition here in London. Having said that, everyone I know who entered seems to have "won" ...

24. SinderMoonStar

SinderMoonStar Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2015
    we (my husband and I) are planning on lining up around midnight.

25. nerdcore619

nerdcore619 Jedi Youngling

Apr 12, 2015
    I'm planning on going around 10pm. does anyone know if they will have chairs or if I should bring my own.