main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT When did the “I am your father line” become so famous?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by darklordoftech, Mar 12, 2020.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    When did Vader being Luke’s father become more famous than who Luke and Vader are and why they’re fighting? When did the, “Luke, I am your father” misquote take off?

devilinthedetails likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's present in the first comic version of TESB, at least. That may be the earliest major example.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  3. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    I think that, the misquote is born out of the fact that the "Luke" part gives the line much needed context for general everyday use. Know what I mean?

4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    The misquote was definitely very popular by the time I was a kid growing up in the early 1990's. I don't know if it became more popular than who Luke and Vader are since who Luke and Vader are is kind of essential to understanding the quote (or misquote as it were). I agree with @jaimestarr that the misquote probably became so popular because it provided context for everyday use. Otherwise, "No, I am your father" sounds kind of like the "your mother" retort.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  5. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    The whole, "I am your father" line took off in popularity almost immediately. The revelation was such a huge moment, it became an almost instant addition to pop culture. I agree with @jaimestarr about the misquote adding context, but I think the biggest factor is time. When the line roared into pop culture, we didn't have easy access to see the movies repeatedly to ingrain the lines into our brains. So as time passed, the line starts getting misquoted.

6. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    I was kind of surprised when I got older that many people completely accepted Vader's claim right away; among kids my age the question of whether he lied was taken seriously. But for adult viewers, apparently Luke confronting Yoda about the question was seen by some people as superfluous. Apparenly Lucas included that because he thought children specifically would have to hear it from a trusted adult character to verify that it was true. But in my memory, the status of Vader's claim was an open question to all until Return of the Jedi had Yoda give his confirmation. I wonder if adults were just playing along with us when they expressed doubt. There was a fan letter I read in some magazine where someone argued passionately that Vader had to be lying. But apparently this interpretation was a minority reading among adults. In an interview around the time of ESB's release, Mark Hamill appeared to assume everyone would accept Vader's claim, which he referred to indirectly so as not to spoil it in detail.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Lucas meant for Vader’s claim to be accepted as truth, but when people told him, “Vader’s lying”, he decided to include dialogue of Yoda and Obi-Wan confirming it.

Mark Pierre, EHT and cratylus like this.
  8. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    There was a bit more to that. GL had been talking to child psychologists while writing TESB, to make sure that he didn't traumatize kids with the revelation, and been assured that most kids would probably be able to handle it and those who didn't would likely assume that Vader was lying.
    So he was already prepared for that and knew that he would have to confirm it in the following episode.

BlackRanger likes this.
  9. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Children understood fine. It's the adults that likely had more problems with it.