main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When did you become a SW fan?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Commander Antilles, Sep 6, 2001.

?

When did you become a SW fan?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Seeing ANH

48.9%
  2. Seeing ESB

6.9%
  3. Seeing ROTJ

6.8%
  4. When post 1991 EU began

7.0%
  5. Seeing the Special Editions

20.1%
  6. Seeing TPM

10.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeventhAngelicSlayer

SeventhAngelicSlayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2005
  2. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    1977 :)
    Became an EU fan when Splinter of a Minds Eye was released.
    I bought Heir to the Empire as soon as it came out.
    Then there was this whole marriage/parent lapse-
    re-joined the EU fun in 2002!

3. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Special Editions did it for me!! :D

Total obsession didn't set in till around EpI however, but I was still a fan. :)

4. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    1983 - Return of the Jedi.

4 years old, so I was very young and impressionable, and I saw it on a cruise ship floating somewhere around Fiji (Ah, some people have the life! :p)

Been hooked ever since! :D

Sometimes I feel a little sorry for people who are too young to experience it in the theatres during the first run - then again, I'm sure that people older than me feel the same way about me because I didn't experience ANH or ESB during their first run. :)

5. light-

light- Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 2005
    may 17th, 2005 [face_monkey][face_plain]

yes i realize thats after seeing rots.. but ewan had me in tears by the end.. i wouldnt have started to become obsessed with star wars if it wasnt for him :_| i didnt know star wars existed until my dad asked if i wanted to go see it with him[face_pig]

6. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Since 1978!!!

7. Minela

Minela Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2005
    AOTC but it isn't an option. I had to vote TPM

8. NocturnaLeiAyr

NocturnaLeiAyr Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    Very funny, resnictem!

Yep, this was back when what we were seeing was just plain ol' "Star Wars." _MY_ Dad also took me to see it (I was 11), and I remember the theater was totally packed. I had no idea what sort of a movie it was going to be; I recall being annoyed at having to wait in a huge line.

Then that fanfare blasted out, the crawl captured my attention, and I was hooked for life when that ship kept coming and coming and coming! I saw that one a few times on the big screen, but when ESB came out, I went to it 6 times--no mean feat for a 14-year-old with parents who don't drive!

9. Eire

Eire Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2005
    When my mother told me to take my sister to the cinema- I went with her and sit in chair... and it was fantastic. It was ROTS

10. GaryGygax

GaryGygax Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2005
    I guess seeing Star Wars in 1977 isn't an option so I had to approximate it with ANH, though I have never seen ANH in a theater, only Star Wars. I wish they'd stop putting ANH on polls when they mean Star Wars. I mean we are all fans here, but not all Lucas lackeys!

11. The-Opening-Crawl

The-Opening-Crawl Jedi Youngling

Nov 20, 2005

Saw Star Wars in the first week it was released,I was 5 when went with my mum to see it,I thought it was the greatest film ever and still do, i still like to call it Star Wars for old times sake, even though it has the Ep 4 title for 25 years, old habits die hard....

12. Ruler_of_the_Jedi

Ruler_of_the_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

May 31, 2005
    Little over 6 years ago....when I was around 11 years old

13. DavBacca

DavBacca Jedi Master star 2

Jun 13, 2002
    When my sister bought the last VHS set of the OT before the SE came out, then I saw them in theaters for the SE.

14. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Probably around 1992 or 1993, making me between 5 and 6, I saw ANH for the first time. My parents had a VHS version they'd made by taping it when it was on TV one time. Terribly grainy. I still remember Vader, though, and I remember a few other things - how cool the X-wings were, and that I could not for the life of me properly say "lightsaber" - I was convinced it was a lightsaver for a long time... :p

Fanhood probably came when I was about 8 or 9. My mom picked up the THX rerelease and I watched it and got absurdly hooked. I'd seen Empire before that point, somewhere in between there, and I remember my parents wondering if I was mature enough to handle all the "Force" stuff in it. o_O

Hard-core fan hood came very specifically in the summer of 1996. A neighbor lent me the Thrawn trilogy. I read it in about a week, as I recall. And I haven't stopped since.

- Keralys

15. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Odd, that's almost exactly how it happened to me, right down to the "lifesavers" and my approximate age at the time.[face_thinking]

My parents had to pay for me to see it though, on the official VHS cassettes.:p

16. Anakin_Sockwalker

Anakin_Sockwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2005
    RotJ was actually the first Star Wars I watched and I loved it then.

17. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    After i watched ANH for sure .. my childhood changed after that .. i did see ANH when ROTJ came out though .. i remember my parents took us to the cinema, where they were gonna show the first two, and then ROTJ ... i was hooked! :D

18. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Well, I selected "ANH", but actually, the film that I saw in the summer of 1977 was not called "A NEW HOPE" nor "Episode IV" but merely "STAR WARS". The sub-title was not added until its re-release in 1978.

Sorry to argue semantics, but these are the facts, and in case no one else has pointed this out, I thought I better do so.

19. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    Being 15, in 2003, which began with reading a screenplay.

20. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    Hooked since 1977

21. ImperialJedi

ImperialJedi Jedi Master star 3

Sep 23, 2001
    I can't remember when I first saw SW, so I must have been very young. However, I do remember when I really became a fan was when I discovered Timothy Zahn's book, The Last Command, at my local library. It was after we moved, but before 7th grade, because I remember reading every SW book I could get my hands on in 7th grade. So, it had to be when I was in 6th grade around 12 year old. This makes sense because I originally joined these forums in 1999. So, maybe I can say 1997, about the time the special editions were coming out. I did like the movies a lot before then, but I wasn't a crazy fan yet.

-IJedi

22. Apailana

Apailana Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2005
    my first theatre expierence was tPM, and thats what really got me into it... but i was never obsessed with it untill like three weeks before RotS.

23. jedimelis

jedimelis Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    1977. I was 4. Thats the reason I am ok with being over 30... I experienced Star Wars in 1977.

24. DARK__SITH__LORD

DARK__SITH__LORD Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2006
    ...after watched tpm and read its novel. :)hehe... I was not born in 1977 at all...[face_laugh] :)

25. Bail-AnBillies

Bail-AnBillies Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2002
    This is a tough poll for me to answer since I can't specify an exact moment, SW has just always been part of my life and I've *always* been a fan!

There should be a "Since birth" option for those of us that literally have watched the movies since we were born. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.