main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When did YOU discover star wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by GrandAdmiralPelleaon, Mar 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    For me I was in the library and came across the novelisation of ANH and I was hooked next was truce at bakura wich didn't make any sence if you didn't know ESB or ROTJ then I borrowed the video's from a friend and then my addiction really started :D

what about you?

Seagoat likes this.
  2. Matara_Healbo

Matara_Healbo Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2000
    I was 2. My dad and older brother were going to see ROTJ and my mom and the rest of the girls were going to see some other movie. At the time I was a real daddy's girl (which I still am) and I didn't want to leave is side so I put up a fuss and they let me see ROTJ. My dad said I was quiet through out the entire move, I never made a sound. I was so captured by the movie that I didn't want to leave when it was over. Later on in life though things get in the way you know He-Man and other cartoons and SW soon gets forgotten. My fandom was reawakend when the SE came out. Oh I played with my brothers and his friends with the action figures and I was always Princess Leia for the Rebels if we ever did our own verson of the films and what went on. I always asked my brother and his friends what things ment in Star Wars and now they are all asking me.

3. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
  4. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I saw the OT on TV and liked them. Then I saw the SE when they came and was hooked.

Seagoat likes this.
  5. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I was four when I first saw Return of the Jedi in 1983. I was on vacation cruising around Fiji (as you do), when ROTJ was playing in the on board cinema one night - After the first viewing I was hooked. The scene that REALLY stuck in my mind was the one where Emperor Palpatine boards the Death Star. Vader and Jerjerod bow down, with those Royal Guards standing on either side - Absolutley mesmerising. I just remember the RED sticking out against the blacks and the greys of their surroundings.

Wow!, I thought. After that, I knew that I wanted to make movies for the rest of my life...

6. Miguel_Sanchez

Miguel_Sanchez Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2000
    I honestly don't know. I would love to know what I felt the first time I saw any of the movies, but it's been such a long time, and I must've been so young... I have never known life without Star Wars.

7. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    You will not believe this, but I haven't knew anything about Star Wars until I was 16!! (now I'm 18) Well. I live in Slovakia, where it takes a looong time until stuff from USA comes here. I think I heard about Star Wars, but since I didn't like sci-fi very much, I didn't pay attention to it (please don't kill me for that! ;) ).
    Things changed when I went to USA as an exchange student in 1998. And in summer 1999 Episode I came out. I saw everybody going crazy about it and I thought "gee, it's just a movie.." I even remember the Pepsi collecting cans and if you found Yoda can, you'd win something. Well, I didn't have a clue who Yoda was and I pointed on one can with Darth Maul and asked "Is this Yoda?" ;) My host family went to see the movie, so I went with them. And ever since I saw it I became a great fan of Star Wars. I went to see it again and I also bought a book about making Ep.I. But I wanted to know more about the OT, so the last day before I left home, I rented all 3 movies (not SE) and watched them. I finished at 3:00 in the morning and at 5:00 I was getting up to catch the plane. Weird huh? ;)
    Here in Slovakia people don't know much about Star Wars. In USA, people don't need to be fans, but for sure they know such things as Yoda, Princess Leia's hairstyle, Darth Vader, "May the Force be with you" and stuff. I don't have much SW stuff (figures, comics, books...) - I only have OT SE and Ep.I videos which my friend from US sent me. But I'm a huge fan and most of time I spend in the Internet, I spend on starwars.com and theforce.net. ;)
    Hope you liked my story. :)
    Mar17swgirl

8. Ghost-of-Spider

Ghost-of-Spider Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 30, 2000
    A long time ago, in 77 when I was 9

9. Releqy_AKla

Releqy_AKla Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2001
    I rented ANH from a convenience store when I was 10, because it looked like the best movie out of all 8 that the store carried. I've been hooked ever since (it was the
    x-wing scene that got me). Of course, now that I'm 21, they've decided to make all the action figures that I tried so hard to find when I was younger! (In all those years, I was only able to find 3).

10. Matara_Healbo

Nov 17, 2000
    I remember also playing with my older brothers action figures in our sand box and acting like it's Tatooine in a really bad rainy month. You know they don't move the same once they get sand in their joints. I think we ruined 10 R2's and 5 original Princess Leia action figures, if I could go back in time that is one game I would have stopped myself from playing and put them some place for future usage.

11. delphy

delphy Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2001
    Great stories, guys!

My dad (a special effects freak) took me to see Star Wars when I was 7, the weekend it opened in our town. I was hooked immediately.

Sometimes it does pain me to remember how many of the original action figures we lost/ruined, but at the same time, but how could I have kept them in their boxes? Playing SW is one of the best memories I have from my childhood, and I couldn't put a price on that.

Now, a long time ago, in the 1970s, video tapes weren't a common household thing. We had to wait until movies came on HBO to see them again. HBO used to mail out a little booklet that would let you know the schedule of movies for that month, and on the back cover, there would be an ad for the "big movie" that was coming NEXT month. I will never forget the day that my brother and I opened the HBO guide, and it said "coming next month .... STAR WARS." We ran around the neighborhood screaming like maniacs, and my mom must have gone crazy with us counting the days until Star Wars would be shown on TV.

12. ArnaKyle

ArnaKyle Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2000
    Ah...this story has two parts

I remember when I was very young, like 5 maybe, and Star Wars would be on TBS. I remember seeing R2 and C-3P0, and then Princess Leia. When Darth Vader came on, I was mesmorized.... I remember my mom saying something about R2 looking like a garbage can, and I think I got mad. I always had to go to bed, so I never fully understood Star Wars, and they never showed ESB anyway on tv. Then, I remember seeing ROTJ, and my mom was going on about the "teddy bears" and I had to go to bed as usual. I begged to come out to watch when Darth Vader came through the throne room, and I was totally captivated. I remember seeing him take his helmet off, and me saying something about his head looking like it was deteriorating (how I knew this word, I don't know!). Wow, the only childhood memories I actually have is about Star Wars...kind of sad.

And then we go through that stage where we actually WANT to be popular *shudder* and we forget about our geekdom. So I abandoned my freak heritige and even tried out for cheerleading. But then fate stepped in and the best thing happened to me--I didn't make it. My brother had a friend that I completely detest...he's very annoying, but he got my brother into Star Wars. All my life I have people telling me that he's warped my mind. And so I started watching Star Wars. We bought the original trilogy and Willow from some video store going out of business for like 24 bucks. And then, I became interested. I watched the trilogy, got Shadows of the Empire, and became a nut.

13. Matara_Healbo

Nov 17, 2000
    I was afraid of my dad's workroom in our basement because my older brother always told me that the Emperor lived there and if I stayed to long on the steps he would get me. Even now when I go up the stairs from my room I still remember running past the hole in the wall that allows you to look into the room below.

14. Zaphod Beeblebrox

Zaphod Beeblebrox Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 1999
    This might be a place for some of you to post in:
    http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=1120311&replies=76

15. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    I had known about SW since I was born, my cousins were really into it. I finally got into it at about 8 - my friend gave me a subscription to the SW Insider for my birthday. I can still remember the first time I really sat down to watch ANH - I couldn't remember if they fought the DS in the first one or if taht was saved for Empire. :eek: I also asked which was the one where they got their sabers stuck together. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I went to the school library and checked out Han Solo at Star's End - the first SW book I ever read. I also got the ANH picture book, and to my surprise, there were scenes not in the final cut of the movie! :eek:

Then I got more into it. On vacation (I was maybe 11) to Florida, I was bored so when we got transferred between flights at the airport, I picked up SW: Rogue Squadron. I liked it so much I read the entire series. Then my cousin told me of the "coolest villain ever" - Grand Admiral Thrawn - and let me borrow HTTE. Read that and SOTE. ETC, ETC... :D

How far I've come. :)

16. Obi_Wan_13

Obi_Wan_13 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 2, 2001
    Back when the Special Edition came out. It was the first time I've ever heard of Star Wars. I borrowed the originals from my friend and liked them. I got the Special Edition the first day they came out on video. I didn't know it was the first day they came out when I got them though. I now have the Special Edition gold videos, and the new released that came out last December. The only one's I don't have is the originals.

17. Jedi_Falcon

Jedi_Falcon Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2001
    Star Wars was shown to me bu my uncle who was about 12 when ANH came out. and he fell in love with star wars , well years later his nephew was over to see him and guess what he said "you ever seen star wars?" no i said, well what he heck, that night i spent the night and watched all 3 start to finish and ever since have been hooked..

18. Darth-Jaguar

Darth-Jaguar Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2000
    Can't really remember. I remember seeing ESB for the first time and my first SW action figures, but can't remember when I first started liking it. It's been in my life that long.

19. woohoo_hayden

woohoo_hayden Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2001
    hmmm, a couple of years ago. my best friend was a huge fan and i thought she was dorky for liking star wars, but she got me hooked. so now its kewl. :D

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I was in some day-care service in 1992,. They always watched G-rated movies, and the only PG-rated movies they saw were Star Wars. I saw ROTJ first, about a zillion time, until 1997, ANH 4, and ESB 1... and that was just in that day-care service thing. Of course now, i just watch it on my own.... I discover it again every day.

EDIT:(oops, i was pressed ENTER instead of TAB)

21. MAD6121

MAD6121 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 18, 2000
    In the early 90s...me and my dad were looking for a movie to rent at the local video store. There was nothing really good to rent so he suggested The Empire Strikes Back. I wasn't so sure about it but my dad assured me I would like it. I stayed up past my bedtime to finish watching it that night and I loved it. A few months later my mom said Star Wars was on. I asked "Whats Star Wars." She said that I saw the second one and I liked it. So I watch it, then my dad goes out the next week and buys the first two for me on videotape so I can watch over and over again. I then so Return of the Jedi a few weeks later on television. I think this was my longest post ever.

22. Starwoman

Starwoman Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2001
    In 1977, I was 9. After that I went back each time George Lucas put one out. Except for the Phantom Menace. I missed that one and saw it on tape. :_| :eek: [face_blush] :)

I just remember Darth Vader and how scary he was, Princess Leia and how strong she was and the droids shiny metal look and how I'd never seen anyting like this before. It had everything I have ever liked about movies: adventure, heroes, villains, humour, drama and some romance, what more could you ask. Oh and how could I forget John Williams score!

23. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    And by the way, you know, if anyone cares, the year that I really got into SW was 1993. (possibly 92 or 94)

24. Jaya_Jedi

Jaya_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 13, 2001
    a couple years ago when i was 9 or 10.
    my mom got me a star wars book. after i read that and a few others, i was hooked.
    i always liked the movies, but wasn't REALLY into it until later.

25. Short Round McFly

Short Round McFly Jedi Youngling star 6

Nov 13, 1999
    Saw Spaceballs, saw ESB on TV, rented ROTJ, saw it on TV a few times, saw SE when it came to theaters, got tapes and worked it up from there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.