main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Census When Do You Take Your Christmas Tree Down?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Pensivia, Dec 31, 2022.

?

When do you usually take your Christmas tree down?

1. sometime after Christmas Day but before New Year's Eve

9.1%
  2. New Year's Eve or New Year's Day

2.3%
  3. sometime between January 2 and January 6 (Epiphany/Three Kings' Day)

27.3%
  4. as soon as possible after January 6

25.0%
  5. whenever I can get around to it, but definitely by the end of January

25.0%
  6. sometime after January

11.4%
  1. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    For those who celebrate Christmas, when do you take your tree down? If you also put up other decorations inside and/or outside your home, do you usually take those down at the same time as the tree?

Those of us who use artificial trees obviously have more options. I have almost never taken my artificial tree down before January 6. I only observe Christmas in the secular sense, so January 6 has no personal significance for me, but I still use that date as a good excuse for not taking it down earlier.:p

Most years, I end up taking our tree down over the 3-day MLK Jr holiday weekend. I usually put it off until then due to a combination of always being extra busy for the first two weeks in January and the fact that it always makes me a little depressed to take it down.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
    Ananta Chetan likes this.
  2. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    The answer is always 'now'.

No matter what day that actually falls on.

3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    On Saint Knut's Day.

Bor Mullet and Pensivia like this.
  4. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Interesting! I googled that @TCF-1138. Do you (personally) typically have a special meal or party on that day?

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes, cooked over fir wood. That's why the tree gets taken down.

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    No, not really. We did when I was a kid, but these days my SO and I just take down the decorations and spend the rest of the day trying to get rid of all the pine needles. :p
    But we do usually keep the tree until then, as tradition dictates.

Pensivia likes this.
  7. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    January 6, Twelfth Night.

Though I tend to turn off Christmas lights after New Year's Day is over (i.e. January 2).

Pensivia likes this.
  8. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    we stopped putting one up about 10 years ago, I got tired of making space on the table. Still do decs and balloons tho

Pensivia likes this.
  9. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    When I was younger and we would have live trees, they just would not make it to Epiphany usually.

My mother used to tell stories about that being because you weren't suppose to get the tree until Christmas Eve or just before.
    "The Tree was part of our gift..."
    Every year, the same story.

Anyway, now that I have an artificial tree and work all the time, the tree usually comes down the first weekend in January, after New Years...whatever that date might be.

Pensivia likes this.
  10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I gave up on Christmas trees when I started having cats as pets. Don't have any now but since I live alone I don't bother with a tree.

11. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    On or after the 6th nowadays; when I was a kid we definitely left decorations up through New Year's Day. I don't trust people who yank it all down the day after Christmas. And don't even get me started on people who think the Twelve Days end on the 25th. I get violent.

Ananta Chetan, Sarge and Pensivia like this.
  12. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I'm guessing we'll probably take ours down the 7th as we don't have anything going on that weekend and this weekend is NYE as well as driving almost 3 hours to see my sister-in-law and brother-in-law's new baby that was born on 12/28.

Pensivia likes this.
  13. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    You’re not cool unless you keep it up through all of winter to remedy winter depression.

y’all complaining about seasonal depression in January are rely just taking your tree down too early for no reason

14. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    We always keep our tree up until Epiphany and usually take it down the weekend after.

15. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    What is this "take it down" you speak of?

Sarge, Bor Mullet, Alpha-Red and 2 others like this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Depends on the year and when I have to go back to work but I try to keep it up through January 6. This year it will come down next weekend.

Pensivia likes this.
  17. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Good way to mark the insurrection.

EHT, TCF-1138 , CT-867-5309 and 3 others like this.
  18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I wait until it burns down the building.

19. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Well in Sweden we can wait until the 13th, which is the traditional day to throw it out, but I try to get it out before NYE. This year it's easy though since I didn't have time to put up any decorations except for my nativity scene.

Pensivia likes this.
  20. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Usually in the second week-end after the 6th of January.

Mar17swgirl and Pensivia like this.
  21. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    consider this a teaser for my planned post-holiday blues thread to be posted on Monday:p
    a couple of years ago I didn't get the last of everything put away until Valentine's Day...didn't plan for that to happen, but just didn't end up getting to it until then. I had taken off the tree decs and lights a couple of weeks before, but the bare tree itself made it until then

somehow I didn't think about the fact that the associations with that date have now forever changed until I made the poll. another depressing aspect of the event

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Cats and Christmas trees are a volatile combination.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, I found that out the first year I had both. We had cats when I was growing up but they never attacked the Christmas tree. I guess my first one when I moved out was an attacker.

Bor Mullet and TCF-1138 like this.
  24. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Our cat didn't attack the tree, but he did like to sneak around under it, and then immediately move on to our bed, where he rolled around to make sure that the literally hundreds of needles he carried in his fur were spread evenly for when it was time for us to go to bed.

EHT, Bor Mullet, Alpha-Red and 3 others like this.
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Typically on New Year's Day, but my rotten cat ensured that I don't have my tree out this year.

Pensivia likes this.