main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT When Exactly Did Vader Turn?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Dark Ferus, Sep 18, 2020.

1. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    I think Vader knew the score as far as the dark side is concerned. Even without the PT era delving into the "rule of two" it's pretty easy to see how the Sith are constantly fighting with each other in order to weed out the weak. They are a very toxic social group.

I think Vader's turn back to the light was basically enough is enough. He knows that Luke isn't going to join him to help kill the Emperor and rule the Empire so that dream is dashed and he's now watching his one and only son laying on the floor, dying, and he's thinking to himself, "Is this really what I want?"

2. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    This was to me the grandest scene in all SW. The scene inside the bridge of the ATAT and platform, It hit home to one of the cruelest evil rulers ever..his father Darth Vader was now in complete contemplation. I don't feel his turning truly started until this scene. Great delivery by Luke which throws Vaders mind into contemplation about what he has done and how he still has hope in himself due to his son believing in him.

3. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Yeah, it's a slow process that probably begins at the end of ESB and culminates when Luke is being electrocuted

The "my father is truly dead" scene is a key moment as well.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    C.Roach and Sarge like this.
  4. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    You raise an interesting point @Emperor_Ferus, that Palpatine wants Luke to slay Vader, and did this influence Vader’s turn to the Light? I think being Palpatine’s plans are always shrouded in mystery, like those painted eggs of people in Russia where you open one, then another, each being new face; Vader didn’t know Palpatine was surious that he wanted Luke to slay him till that moment he’s on his back, armless.

“Take your Father’s place at my side!”

Up till then Vader seemed to respond to Palpatine calling Luke apprentice as some method to make him fall to the dark side, but Vader should have remembered Palpatine goes through apprentices : Maul, Dooku, and then Vader. Palpatine always is looking for an apprentice “who is far younger and more powerful.”