main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When should I get there?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by jbrianchamberlin, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbrianchamberlin

jbrianchamberlin Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2005
    Never been to one of these things so I'm not sure what to expect. A buddy and I have our room at the Omni and we're driving from Baltimore. We have 4 day passes... when should we get there? Not even sure what time things kick off... but I know we can't get into the hotel until noon... I think.

2. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    I'd just get there sometime Thursday. (first day). You shouldn't miss much that way. :)

3. jbrianchamberlin

Feb 16, 2005

People keep telling me to get there early... it's 9 hours away though...so we really need to leave supper early to be able to do anything that day.

4. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    You mean you aren't here already??

Just kidding.

It looks like most of the people I know are planning to arrive Wednesday afternoon evening and leave Monday morning.

Costs a bit more hotel-wise for the extra days but it means starting off on the first day relaxed and showered and not leaving Sunday night all frazzed.

5. jbrianchamberlin

Feb 16, 2005
    We've only got the room for 3 nights... thu, fri, and sat...

6. OBIX1

Oct 7, 2002
    "People keep telling me to get there early... it's 9 hours away though...so we really need to leave supper early to be able to do anything that day"

If you're 9 hours away,yeah. I would recommend getting there early if you want to do stuff on Thursday. But,it's really up to you. Last time,I got there mid-day on Friday. I didn't feel like I missed much. But,it was a hassle,because Embassy suites wouldn't let us check in until 3. So,we had to go find a parking space,etc. But,this time I'm getting there the night before the convention starts. It'll save some hassle. :)

7. Iwakura

Iwakura Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    wow, that sucks to hear that some of the hotels wouldn't let you check in early. for C:II i was expecting to not get into the hotel room until check in time, but we tried anyhow and they let us check in at 5am (courtyard)! perhaps you could call ahead of time and request an early check in.

i'm not sure yet when i'm arriving. i know on thursday and it's about a 6 hour drive for me. last time i left at midnight and arrived at 5am, no need for that this time, though, seeing as how it doesn't open on thursday until noon anyhow. i'd like to get there maybe at 10am or something.

8. James_Sunderland

James_Sunderland Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2005
    I'm just going for the weekend. I'm driving all night Friday, and driving back Sunday night.

9. LadyLessa

LadyLessa Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2005
    We are going to Indianapolis on wed evening. It's only a 3 hr. drive for us. We are also staying until monday morning. We left on Sunday evening at CII and I was so frazzled. This time I want to enjoy it more.

10. Bail-Aquino

Bail-Aquino Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2002
    I agree with obix1 and LadyLessa.

I've never been to one of these before, but I figured since I have an 8 hour flight I might as well arrive a day early to get some rest before it all starts and leave a day after to get some rest before the flight back. (and to come down from the adrenaline high!)

If you have to drive that much, I would suggest you either leave early in the morning or maybe even drive overnight and maybe get some rest in a cheap hotel along the way.

11. Shinar

Shinar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    I'm driving to St. Louis, MO on the 20th and staying with a friend there (10 hour drive). That way I'll have an easy 4 hour drive the morning of the 21st.

12. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    I'm arriving by plane on the 20th afternoon. Unfortunately, the flight I have out of Indy is at 7 PM on Sunday. I'll be absolutely exhausted by Monday, but then who needs rest when you have SW?!? :)

13. darthspino

darthspino Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Me and my friends are getting there wednesday, the night before.It gives us plenty of time to rest up and then be the first ones to wait outside the convention center at midnight :D

14. brokenyolk

brokenyolk Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2002
    Don't know what the rules will be this time - but I know at CII they wouldn't let people start lining up outside until 5am or something (safety reasons? - I dunno...). I rememeber seeing this from my hotel room on the 6am news. Someone who was there early could probably explain it but I think they had the cops clearing people out until that time.

By the time I got there - around 1hr before "early" Fan Club opening - there were thousands in line already - all the way around the convention center on both sides!!

But as I recall these lines moved fairly quick once the doors opened.

15. jbrianchamberlin

Feb 16, 2005
    I keep hearing a bunch of stuff about the fan club. I'm actually not a member, but my friend who's coming with me is. Will he be able to get stuff that I can't? I guess we'll leave Baltimore around 3AM Wednesday morning. That would get us into Indianapolis at around 11AM... maybe sooner.

16. CarolynNC

CarolynNC Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2002
    I guess we'll leave Baltimore around 3AM Wednesday morning. That would get us into Indianapolis at around 11AM... maybe sooner.

If it's possible you should reconsider driving all night and then trying to get the most out of C3. You could leave in the evening and drive about 3/4th of the way, priceline a hotel for around $30 and get some sleep, then get up in time to finish the trip.

There will be lots of stuff going on inside and outside C3 and you don't want to be so tired you don't enjoy it.

I keep hearing a bunch of stuff about the fan club. I'm actually not a member, but my friend who's coming with me is. Will he be able to get stuff that I can't?

Your friend will be able to enter earlier as a fan club member. There will be a different entrance for non-fan club members. There are also suppose to be other perks for fan club members. Since your friend is a member maybe you should join for C3. Here's what we know so far: fan club info

17. OBIX1

Oct 7, 2002
    "I'll be absolutely exhausted by Monday, but then who needs rest when you have SW?!?"

I couldn't agree more. :D

18. KOB

KOB Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 22, 2004
    I keep hearing a bunch of stuff about the fan club. I'm actually not a member, but my friend who's coming with me is. Will he be able to get stuff that I can't?

If your friend got a four day pass, they'll recieve 4 family/friend passes that will let you share SOME benefits... Although I suggest just joining yourself!

19. Cliodna_ben_Lhee

Cliodna_ben_Lhee Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2003
    I have an overnight flight from Seattle and will arrive in Indy about 8:30 am, then I?m leaving Monday on a 2pm flight back

20. jbrianchamberlin

Feb 16, 2005

Yeah yeah.. just came back from joining. I'm also going to try and talk him into flying. It won't be *that* much more expesnive. I'd be driving from Baltimore. It's 9 hours and in my Jeep, about $120 in gas.

21. Darth_Bootsy

Darth_Bootsy Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2004
    Getting in Wednesday night and leaving Monday afternoon.

Damn it's going to be fun.

Anyone wanna party with the KNights?

22. Tony-WanKenobiNC

Tony-WanKenobiNC Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2005
    By best friend and I will be arriving Wednesday evening, just past time for check in (so we won't have to use any jedi mind tricks to have them let us in early, although that could be fun[face_clown]. Then, get up well rested on Thursday with our game faces on ready for the convention. We'll be driving back Sunday evening. Will we be frazzed? Not a chance, we'll save money on another nights stay and we're already scheduled off from work on monday. So, i'll be sleepin' in. When I do get up, I'll be doin' my favorite thing; watching the Trilogy, of course.

Note: HAN SHOT FIRST!!!! [face_clown]

23. CarolynNC

CarolynNC Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2002
    I'm also going to try and talk him into flying. It won't be *that* much more expesnive. I'd be driving from Baltimore. It's 9 hours and in my Jeep, about $120 in gas.

I think that's a great idea. When you factor in what your time is worth it will be way cheaper to fly. You could also look at it as an investment in a more enjoyable adventure. C3 is not an every day occurance. If it's anything like C2 there will be things to do beginning early in the morning and lasting late into the night. You'll have much more stamina and energy if you don't expend it prior to arriving.

With a small amount of effort you can make new friends while waiting in the inevitable lines. Lots of parties and get togethers after C3 shuts down for the night.

24. jbrianchamberlin

Feb 16, 2005

Well that was easy.. we're flying now... getting in at 10AM... the best we could really do. Better then driving and getting there at 6PM on Thursday. =)

25. DarthShona

DarthShona Jedi Master star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    About the hotel checking-in thing, my parents and I are flying in (if it's not delayed, we'll be there at 8:59 a.m. on Friday) and we called our hotel and they said they would hold our luggage for us until it came time for us to get into our room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.