main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga When The Hunter Becomes The Hunted (Obi, Asajj) Thanks to readers!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jennifer_Lyn, Sep 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Brilliant work!

There are so many wonderful things to say about your characterization and ability to get into the "nooks and cranies" of the settings you craft.

The exchange between Ventress and Obi-Wan is intelligent and true to form. I also like the depth that you're supplying each of these characters, especially Ventress. Your Obi-Wan is one of the best on the boards and I'm not saying that just because I'm your abusive Evil Master.

This was my favorite passage:

?You look like General Grievous, you know, with your collection of fallen Jedi lightsabers.? Petty and cruel? Yes, she knew the words would do nothing to help her case, but the man was so damned infuriating.

I love that and it just continued to hang in my head even after I beta'd it.

=D=

2. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh man! Well now she knows that he has had some familiarity with the Darkside, perhaps she'll think better of him now. ;)

A lesson indeed, if she thinks on what he juz told her. Shoot...he told her something personaly and if anything that should be an eye opener for her.

3. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    Humble thanks to all of you for you're wonderful comments! They really keep me going!

Stella_Ripple: Thank you, my Padawan. I?m thrilled my writing could whisk you away like that!

Kestrel_Kenobi: Thank you as well, Padawan. So glad you like it!

Ani-maniac: If you like how Obi-Wan and Ventress come out, then I?m doing my job properly. So glad you like it!

KELIA: Vader? Hmmm. Don?t know whether to comment or not. I actually haven?t written him in any of my fics, yet.
    Zonoma: They were not her lightsabers, after all. He didn?t want them ?tainted? after she was so nasty. Thanks for reading, Z!

Lovely-in-Orange: Glad you liked the fight scene! It was my first! She is a nasty piece of business, isn?t she?

Star_Drifter: She?s being super defensive and reactionary and Obi-Wan knows this so he?s taking it in stride. After originally knowing so little about her, I?m growing to really like Asajj. More on Thursday!

oqidaun: Oh, what do I say to that as I sit here blushing profusely except thank you?

Kynstar: Yes, let?s hope that helps her to think before lashing out!

4. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    Hey all! Bit of a delay due to this damnable cold. I'll pm the pm listers when it's up, no worries!

5. DarthMousche

DarthMousche Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    I keep missing this! Can you add me to your PM list?

What a great tension they have working together, them picking at the other in their own ways, with Asajj, of course, being more vicious. Aw, she can't help it, though. I wonder if her attitude will change with the new information...

I also think it's very cool that Obi-Wan is learning to fight with two blades. [face_love] Maybe that would change a few things about the future.

6. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    DarthMousche: Consider yourself added! Obi learning two blades possibly changing the future? Interesting idea for an AU.

Alrighty folks, here's the next chapter, sorry for the delay, but I'm feeling much better now!

Chapter 5

The sound of hundreds of feet marching in formation echoed across the brightly colored stone courtyard. White plastisteel gleaming, the Stormtroopers displayed the newest models of both armor and weaponry. Hidden from view, a young Bothan stood in a small alcove near the entrance to the former Royal Palace in Theed. It now served as the Imperial Governor?s headquarters on the small planet, its former gleam and beauty tarnished by the large guns and fortifications grafted onto it like crude cybernetic implants.

A life spent in training for this kind of work still did little to prepare young Karka for the edginess he would experience once he was on the job by himself. The responsibility to his clan, especially his mother and uncles, weighed heavily on his mind. The fur on his face ruffled and he put a hand up to smooth it, taking a breath to calm himself in the process. As he did so, he watched the movements of the troops in and out of the Governor?s headquarters. Noting the pristine state of their armor, he counted their numbers and recorded the extent of their firepower. He had seen many outposts throughout the Empire while training under his mother, but none so well fortified as this. Utilizing his photographic memory, a trait inherited by most of the ?trem Clan, he took copious mental notes. One never knew when that kind of information would come in handy, his mother had taught him well.

Karka mentally ticked off the hours as he waited for his contact?s arrival. The simple task kept his mind focused, though he couldn?t help it when a small grin spread across his lips. He knew that not only had he done well in getting the information he now possessed, but he would also be getting a better price for it than he could have imagined. Though it happened rarely, it was well known throughout the galaxy that the longer you kept a Bothan waiting, the higher the price. This was no small bit of information he carried in his steel trap of a mind, either. It was already worth quite a few credits. Not bad for his first job. His mother would be quite pleased with him. It might even make her smile, something she had not done since his father was killed several years ago.

As he stood waiting, he watched as a solitary dark cloud moved in, blocking the sun from view; a rare occurrence on the sunny planet. Karka learned of such omens as a child at his grandmother?s knee, remembering those tales sent a chill down his spine and he wrapped his cloak more firmly around his shoulders. He looked up at the black cloud, hoping that his contact would arrive soon so that he could go home.

A flutter of dark fabric drew his attention to the entrance of the alcove and, heart leaping into his throat, he gasped as three hooded figures appeared before him, blocking the courtyard from his sight. Enclosed in further darkness, Karka stood motionless, the scent of decay now permeating the space stung at his sensitive nostrils.

?A Bothan, Brother Venictum. Could this be the one we seek?? a chilling voice came from beneath a dark hood.

?Yes, it could be him. Young being, you have information for us?? a similar reply leeched out from another fold of black fabric.

Karka released his breath and, pushing back his nausea, replied with as much strength as he could muster. This was his deal to make or break, after all. ?If you have the credits, sirs, I can help you, yes.?

The three men pulled back their hoods in unison revealing their perfectly hairless scalps. The topography of the pale, waxy skin glowed softly in the dim light, disturbed only by large purple veins marking the rivers of blood below the surface.

One of the three stepped closer to the Bothan. ?And how much for your little bit of minutiae??

?This is no little bit of information I have for you, gents, as I?m sure you?ll agree on

7. Darth_Powder_Puff

Darth_Powder_Puff Jedi Youngling

Oct 27, 2005
    Ooooh! They found out! Uh-oh! Lets hope Obi and Asaji have improved their teamwork- they're gonna have to if they face this lot! And what a lot! I love your OCs, they're so believable and fit right in!

Again, a wonderful job =D=

8. Ani-maniac

Ani-maniac Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    As always those guys are just eerie... :D :D :D

So they now know where they are... I have a bad feeling about this. [face_thinking]

Awesome work!

I can't wait for the next part! Also I am glad that you are feeling better. [:D]

Ani-maniac

9. DarthMousche

DarthMousche Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    Aw, did you have to give the poor Bothan a name and a mother before doing that to him? [face_shame_on_you]

That was completely creepy and well-done. It was very touching (in a strange way) that the information about Obi-Wan was near his heart. It's little details like that one that - and the way you write OCs - that make your story really compelling.

10. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Master!

[face_sick] You really have to let me know in advance if there is any thing like this going on!

Three vibroblades appeared from the depths of their cloaks and were immediately activated. Equatorum and Venictum watched eagerly as their leader sliced the Bothan?s skull open with surgical precision. Carefully, he removed the top portion of bone and closed his eyes in meditation. Grasping the Force with an iron will, he pulled out a long, red thread of energy and manipulated it into a glowing glove that wrapped around his hand. Reaching inside Karka?s head cavity, he caressed the curves of the warm mass he found within, a look of deep focus etched on his face.

Totally wonderful piece of writing - Your images go right through, well, my head!

I'm now really worried for our Obi [face_worried]

Be kind to him? [face_praying]

Brilliant work.

11. Lovely-in-Orange

Lovely-in-Orange Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2005
    Aww, you made me like the poor little Bothan spy and then you had to go and do that to him. Great chapter - your descriptions are wonderfully creepy. I liked how you described the changes to Theed at the begining too.

12. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh that was an awesome post! All Halloweeny!!

Poor Karka..

Uh oh...they now know. [face_worried] "I got a bad feeling about this..."

Wonderful update! Glad to hear ya feeling better!

13. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    Darth_Powder_Puff: Glad you like my Inquisitors. Yes, they know. We'll just have to wait patiently to see if Obi and Asajj are up to the task, won't we?

Ani-maniac: Thanks! Eerie? Believe me, in my brain they're 10 times worse. [face_worried]

DarthMousche: Wow, I got the no-no finger! Thanks! So glad you like my OCs. I don't think I could write the details any other way, so I'm glad they resonate.

Kestrel_Kenobi: Poor Padawan! *passes the pepto-bismal* Sorry 'bout that! Not! Glad you liked it, though, despite the evisceration. :D

Lovely-in-Orange: The Naboo have had a rough time under the new Empire, and Theed's the shining example. You liked the Bothan? Oh good.[face_devil]

Kynstar: It's funny, this post just happened to land a few days before Halloween. Never intended it, but it is a beautiful coincidence. Thanks for reading!

14. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    Hi all. I'm so sorry to do this, but this story is going on hold.

I'm taking a hiatus from the boards to deal with some Darth RL.

I hope to return to this sometime soon.

Thank you all so much for reading and sticking with me! Those of you on the PM list will be notified as soon as I am back up and running.

Thanks again! [:D]

15. stormqueen874

stormqueen874 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2005
    *sighs heavily* I finally get a chance to come back and catch up on everything, and you're taking a hiatus, J_L? Man, DRL is just out to get everyone right now! *pouts*

Anyway, lovely couple of updates! I'm enjoying every minute of this fic. I like the way you're slowly but surely building up Obi-Wan's relationship with Asajj; it makes it that much more believable to me. Pity I know the ending is going to be bittersweet, if it's sticking with the canon universe! :( Ah well, I'll enjoy it while it lasts! :)

Hope you can kick DRL's butt so he'll leave you alone, J_L! Come back soon!

Stormqueen

16. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Hope things work out!! Do PM once ya return! [:D]

We'll be here for ya! :D

17. SiriKenobi12

SiriKenobi12 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    I started reading this while at work, but ran out of time so I wanted to review so I could say I love it so far and I also didn't want to lose it so I posted something...I'll reveiw it better later!

18. Ani-maniac

Ani-maniac Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Yes, DRL can be cruel. *shakes head sadly* The worst of all Sith. ;)

Don't worry, we will all be here when you return.

I hope that everything goes well. You are in my prayers. :)

Ani-maniac

19. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    Ungh! J_L, that post was disgusting! I didn't realize that you had it in you! I'm sure oqi is proud[face_mischief] ... and I know I will be reading your posts by daylight for a while.*shudders*

20. boady22

boady22 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 24, 2003
    hey i just wanted to ask that u send me a pm when u decide to continue
    please [face_chicken]

21. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    Long into the night, loud cracking sounds reverberated throughout the small space as the Inquisitors thoroughly searched Karka?s copious memory banks.

That was different... [face_thinking]

I don't know that I've ever heard of anyone searching for information in quite the same way before! ;)

I, too, have had some issues with Darth RL lately, and understand how necessary it is to "do what must be done".

Please PM me when you can post again. @};-

Hope you can teach that old Darth RL a thing or too! [:D]

22. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    i'm back!
    i've got an ending in my head for this, now i just need to figure out how to get there!

those of you who want to be pm'd please let me know, i seem to have missplaced my old list. *grrr*

look for an update in the next week or so.

thanks to all who read the last post, so glad you *ahem* enjoyed it. [face_skull]

23. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    *jumps up and down while raising her hand*

OO! OO! OO! PM me!

24. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    *Raises a dark eyebrow* I as well would like a PM. Thank you very much. I await anxiously, but yet patiently for the next post.

([face_laugh] sorry couldn't resist the 'aristocratic' roleplay there! [face_laugh]) I soooo can't wait!! :D [face_dancing]

25. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    My heartiest and most humble apologies for making you all wait so long for this! Thanks to those who've been so patient and supportive. I offer this chapter to you in the humble hopes that i can begin to repay you all. I've sent out PMs, reconstructing my list as best I could, so if I missed you, just let me know!

And now without further ado, we'll continue this tale:

Chapter 6

The song of the planet whispered softly in his ears, nudging him further and further towards wakefulness. The temperature was changing, slowly, subtly as the suns began to crest the horizon and heat the ground below. Rubbing his eyes briefly before stretching along the bed, Obi-Wan breathed in and out deeply. Wisps of cool air filled his lungs with their memory as protection against the daily inferno of Tatooine's sands. He dwelt for a moment in the last, quickly fading dream which slipped so smoothly from his grip. A dream of a happier time when a young man and the boy in his charge laughed and learned together. As the mirage faded into reality, he determinedly pulled back the covers and rose from the bed.

Noting a lingering morning stiffness that had developed over the last few months, Obi-Wan grimaced as he went to the washbasin and scrubbed his face, dampening his hair before using the small mirror to be sure he combed it into proper order. Though not one prone to vainity, only a proclivity towards fastidiousness, Obi-Wan still could not help but notice the increasing numbers of grey hairs sprouting from both beard and temple. Just a few years on the desert planet had also already begun to take its told on his skin. He grinned into the mirror, watching as the crow's feet around his eyes deepened. Not quite Master Yoda wrinkles yet, but he knew he looked as old as Qui-Gon had when he died, though he was not yet fifty. Age, it would seem, was beginning to catch up with him.

Shrugging off the maudlin thoughts, Obi-Wan... no, 'Ben' he reminded himself for the thousandth time, tugged his robes straight. Now awake and ready to face the day, Obi-Wan passed through the thin curtain separating his sleeping quarters from the common living space which housed the cooking equipment, a table, two chairs and a small trunk next to the built in settee. He crossed the small space in a few strides and placed a hand to the curtain hanging along the opposite wall. Pulling it to the side, he stepped in, his eyes moving to the small bed within. Yet there was no one at rest under the covers. The bed was empty and neatly made. Quickly scanning the space, a small bag caught his eye and he released his breath. His guest hadn't slipped out in the night, then. Simply gotten up before him.

Ben closed his eyes and reached for the thin tendril of light connecting them. It was subtle, easily missed by any but the most highly focused Jedi, yet he found it with ease. It had offered him a measure of security when Asajj first arrived and now allowed him to find her quickly and easily when he had need of her attention. At the other end he sensed a peace he had not felt at any time before during her stay.

Weeks had passed since their last major confrontation, up on that high plateau. After that night, Ben watched as Asajj became more focused, more determined, more controlled within the Living Force. Yet she had still battled him each morning, refusing to rise when asked, very much like a grumpy, young Padawan Ben had known a lifetime ago. Intrigued that she should choose to rise on her own and before her teacher, Ben followed the Force-thread back through the little common room and out the door.

The suns were shining brightly just over the horizon, but it would be a blessed few hours before they began to scorch the sands with their unrelenting glare. A lone figure moved in the open space between the doorway and the canyon wall opposite from the entrance. Gracefully moving left to right from a controlled, crouching stance into a long, reaching stretch, the air around Asajj Ventress vibrated strongly with the Living Force. Ben stood there watching her,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.