main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga When The Hunter Becomes The Hunted (Obi, Asajj) Thanks to readers!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jennifer_Lyn, Sep 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    This is quite wonderful thus far (and I agree - the cover art is fantastic).

I'd appreciate PM updates also.

Thanks!

2. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    IAMKINGCLONE: Its tied with all in a Day's Work for my favourite fic. :eek:[face_blush] i'm honored!

Star_Drifter: Asajj has learned quite a lot from Master Kenobi. we'll just have to wait and see if it's enough, now won't we? :D

Kestrel_Kenobi: Look out Obi! [face_laugh] yes, they've been found. scary isn't it? [face_devil]

KELIA: thanks! glad the pacing is getting exciting for you all.

Ani-maniac: hmm, the Emperor does have a tendency to underestimate, doesn't he? [face_thinking]

oqidaun: well, my crusty old beta, so glad to have found the warm core to that heart of coal. :D glad you liked the changes!

Kynstar: so glad i've got you wondering! thanks!

DarthMousche: one of the things i enjoy about writing fanfic is that i have an excuse to be a total geek sometime and reappropriate lines from the films. :D

Zonoma: oh, i'm sure you do 'bad guy' talk just fine! it took a couple of tries (and beta encouragement) to get the Emperor out there, i'm so glad he came across creepy. he's tough to write!

BigE: welcome! so glad you're enjoying it! cover art is my specialty! *bows* consider yourself added to the list!

and to answer Z's other comment, the Inquisitors names are Kalmastrum, Venictum and Equatorum. sorry to let ya down, but i pulled the names out of some dark corner of my brain and they just stuck. i wanted something ancient latin sounding and i intended early on to go back and give them meaningful names, but it never happened.

other quick Inquisitor's tidbits and info for fun that i promise give nothing away:
    Kalmastrum is the leader.
    Venictum is second in command.
    Equatorum is slightly junior to them both.

their strange rituals of eviceration (as seen in chapters 3 & 5) are a Dark side method of using the Force to retrieve information from the recently deceased. the idea being that the remnants of their Force signature would retain a 'memory' of what that being had seen.

oqi and i call them the Inkies. :D

and JL's final comment to keep all your brains churning until the next chapter:

remember, this is not an AU and will remain as such through the end.

3. Lovely-in-Orange

Lovely-in-Orange Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2005
    As creepy as the Inkies (Inkies?!?) are, the Emperor is even scarier here. the reactions of the Emperor were so unpredictable. If only he could read the man's entrails I don't know why, but this cracks me up. These guys even express frustration in very evil ways. :D

4. boady22

boady22 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 24, 2003
    Excellent job on the cover art Jennifer, loved the update. Can't wait for the next one.

5. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    Lovely-in-Orange: i'm thrilled to hear the Emperor was scarier than the Inquisitors! he was quite hard to write!

boady22: thanks! i'm revving up for the next chapter and i'll let you know when it's posted!

6. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    That was the best convention of evil I've ever read! =D= (thanks to you and your bunnies, I'm more tempted to stick my nose into those now! :p )

Palpatine has the whole 'shiver me timbers' thing down you know? Downright creepy he was, and I liked how the Inquisitors, bless the slimy old hearts, thought so too! :D Loved the last bit- brilliant imaging! (but thats to be expected of course ;) )

And wow =P~ That cover art rocks!

7. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Nice cover art! =D=

Uh oh, they've found Obi and Asajj. [face_worried] The inquisitors are still creepy, but Palpatine is worse, I think because he's so manipulative and undoubtedly the head for all this. Hmm, I'm sure Obi will go looking for the inquisitors. :( That is just the way he is, and he's got Luke to protect too. I really hope Asajj holds on to what she has gained back and doesn't turn back to the Dark. I wonder what exactly the weakness is that Palpatine seems to sense? Maybe just that the two don't completely trust each other? They have been getting along better though, so maybe this plan of Palpatine's will backfire.

Nice job! Hope there's more soon. :)

8. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    Stella_Ripple: convention of evil? oooh, i might have to use that at some point. :D

Jedi_Tigris: so glad everyone liked Palpatine. he was more tough to write than i anticipated.

sorry this chapter is so delayed. hit a bit of DWB and got lost in my original stuff for a bit. :D i'll try to get the next chapter up much more quickly!

an extra bag of severed thumbs to my Evil Master of Doom, oqidaun. she was most patient with this one and gave me the kick in the butt i needed.

Chapter 8

Two identical suns burnt down upon the glittering sands of the Dune Sea. The intense heat that reflected off the planet's surface caused rippling currents in the air, distorting the light as it hit a small speeder racing across the sands. The craft was weather-beaten; the abrasive sandstorms that whipped across the planet scrubbed the paint from its surface, revealing the gleaming metal beneath. The open cockpit left the hot wind to blast the two occupants who sat in silence, eyes trained on the horizon and minds focused on a growing anxiety that weighed on their minds. They searched for the source of the Darkness that arrived earlier that morning, packing a visceral punch before its source settled somewhere in the distance.

"Mos Espa," Obi-Wan finally spoke. "It must be. The nearer we get to Mos Eisley, the further away the presence seems to get."

His passenger said nothing, but nodded in agreement as he turned the craft, heading in the direction of Tatooine's second largest port.

They left Obi-Wan's home but an hour before, yet in that short time there had been a measurable change in Asajj's demeanor. The quiet peace she finally grasped during that morning's meditation was shattered by the sudden disturbance in the Force they felt soon afterward. She had not spoken since then and though she went along with Obi-Wan's plans, she did so with a stony expression. She was not rooted in the here and now, but lost in the morass of her own mind.

As Asajj looked out at the desolate plain, she thought it might be better for the sands to open up and swallow her whole. The Dark disturbance disrupted her concentration and she felt more and more hopeless with each passing moment. The Light side may be as equally powerful as the Dark side, but it was the Dark side that slipped so easily into her mind, feeding on her fears like a parasite. And she had fear to spare. Ben did not know what he was about to face, but she did. She escaped from them enough times to understand how relentless they were. Unbidden, a vision of three white faces, with eyes red and bloodshot, assaulted her mind and she felt the last bits of her hope slipping away. She could not make the words come to her lips to warn her companion of what she knew. The sanctuary she thought she achieved was revealed as the illusion it had always been and she felt the Force open up in a billion strands of possibility. Her future was more uncertain than ever before and it was here that her fear coalesced into a tactile incubus that fought to take hold over her being.

Obi-Wan looked to his passenger. He could sense her fear without even accessing their bond. The tension filled her completely, emanating from her in pulsing waves and he was greatly worried that her resolve was slipping. There was no telling how she would react when they finally faced whatever Dark forces they tracked across the sands. He simply must trust the training he had provided and give her what assistance he could. He sent a wave of reassuring energy to her, bolstering her shields as best he could from the outside. She turned and looked at him in response to the gift, a weak smile on her face, and he felt the fear slip tenuously back under her control.

Reassured for the moment, Obi-Wan's thoughts turned to the task at hand. He wondered what in the Force had brought such powerful Dark siders to Tatooine. There had to be more than one being as he knew of no one, save Anakin and the Emperor, who was that powerful. He knew little of the minions the Emperor now utilized t

9. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I'm impressed Obi-Wan didn't get upset when he figured out Asajj knew what was coming and didn't warn him.

Just when I thought she had changed....:p

Hopefully she won't let him down now.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

10. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    The Light side may be as equally powerful as the Dark side, but it was the Dark side that slipped so easily into her mind, feeding on her fears like a parasite. And she had fear to spare. Ben did not know what he was about to face, but she did. She escaped from them enough times to understand how relentless they were.
    Those lines right there did it! I can finally completely and properly sympathise with her! Obi Wan is still the quintessential Jedi!And their little exchange about building lightsabers seems hopeful but...I'm sure there will be a few bumps along on the road?
    Can't wait (actually I'm sure I'll manage! ;) ) to see how the Little Grey One chooses myself!
    Well look that! Me, agreeing with the Inquisitor! :eek: Hmm, looks like your convention of evil is growing in number! :D

11. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    Ben repeated himself. "You knew they would come and, knowing my position, still you came to me, came here."

He allowed a carefully controlled amount of anger to leak through their bond and she turned to look at him. Knowing now what happened the last time Obi-Wan Kenobi had unleashed that anger, she was nervous that no excuse she made would be enough. She spoke the truth to him, realizing there was little chance that a lie would lessen his tension.

"I was desperate. I had run out of other options. You were my only hope." she looked down at her hands. "You still are."

Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope! ;)

I just love having Star Wars lines coming in at unexpected moments! :D

She knew she was letting all of Ben's efforts and all of her hard work go to waste. She stopped in the middle of the street and closed her eyes, grasping for bits of Light even as they slipped more quickly through her fingers. Then she felt a hand grasp her shoulder and a wave of positive energy flooded through her mind. It was bright and clear, everything she was trying to tap into and it was right there before her. Was this what it felt like to be Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Is it? :)

Now wait a minute, I'm supposed to be a Sith! The light isn't supposed to sound good! Oh oh! [face_worried]

With both sides stalemated in their intimidation of one another, the lead Inquisitor raised his open hand and spoke. ?Ah, beings of Light, or should I say, being of Light and being of Grey?? he greeted them and then sighed. ?It would make little difference what I call you, except that our dear Grey One here has a choice to make that will effect many things, now doesn?t she??

Come with them or die? [face_mischief]

I love these creeepy Inquisitors, so there is still hope for me! ;)

Wonderful update! Bad old DWB! But, it was worth the wait! [face_dancing]

Thanks for the PM! [face_batting]

Star

12. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Each chapter you write becomes my favorite...this story just gets better and better...You had me hanging on every word. I absolutely love Obi in this.

I loved the SW lines you used...

With a slight twinge of the old wound that still worried at his heart he replied, ?Why, spring the trap, of course.?

And what an evil cliffie - you have to update soon. I can't wait to see what choice Asajj makes.

Wonderful Jennifer_Lyn =D=

13. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Severed thumbs! I love severed thumbs.
    Brilliant chapter, JL. You already know the parts that I loved the most, but I can't say enough about the build up to the encounter with the inkies. Great work! Deserted streets, scurrying pedestrians, high noon--cue the Good, the Bad and the Ugly!

Top notch work here.

=D=

14. Ani-maniac

Ani-maniac Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    He allowed a carefully controlled amount of anger to leak through their bond and she turned to look at him. Knowing now what happened the last time Obi-Wan Kenobi had unleashed that anger, she was nervous that no excuse she made would be enough.

I loved this line because it really shows that Asajj is so used to reacting a Sith apprentice. She would be punished severely for hiding something like that from Dooku.

?Ah, beings of Light, or should I say, being of Light and being of Grey?? he greeted them and then sighed. ?It would make little difference what I call you, except that our dear Grey One here has a choice to make that will effect many things, now doesn?t she??

I am very curious if she will be strong enough to make the right choice.:D

Wonderful work!

Ani-maniac

15. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Now only a few strands of Light shone through the Force, allowing Obi-Wan the small flame of Light he protected in hopes it may one day be fanned back into a bonfire of peace and hope for the galaxy.

One of my own favorite lines in this chapter.

Excellent as always. I enjoy your writing style, and eagerly await the next part. :)

16. Lovely-in-Orange

Lovely-in-Orange Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2005
    Wonderful description of her fears building up. You can really feel the tension building and you leave us with such an evil cliffie! Obi-Wan gave no indication of shock or fear and it was his reaction that caused the ubiquitous grins to finally leech from their faces. I love his calm here. :)

17. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Wow, wonderful descriptions! Love all those SW lines stuck in there too! Obi-Wan really is the ultimate Jedi, taking everything in calmly, and trusting in the Force for answers. It looks like Asajj is really doing her best to stay in the light, but the Darkness still has strong influence on her. Hopefully she'll choose well!

18. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    howdy all! it's catch up time!

KELIA: well, he is a jedi after all. and i think he's a bit resigned to the fact that she's not exactly upstanding Jedi material.

Stella: dangerous, it is, to agree with the Inkies. and you're sympathizing with Asajj? ooh, how lovely.

Star_Drifter: i love using SW lines. they just give it that extra starwarsiness (yippe an invented word) that is part of the reason i write fan fiction.

Kes: i love Obi in this, too. he pretty much writes himself, so atleast i'm saved some work!

oqi: i've got a secret stash of thumbs somewhere around here. :D you know, it's funny, i've never seen the good, bad and ugly nor high noon. i was working more from multiple viewings of Blazing Saddles for reference. 8-}

Ani-maniac: oh geez! you know, i've just been writing her from this beat down perspective, but you nailed something i didn't even realize was coming out. i love my subconscious.

BigE: so glad you enjoyed it! that was one of my favorite lines when it came out, though i was also partial to the line about the incubus, it's just a fun word.

Lovely-in-Orange: i thought for a fleeting moment about having Obi be a bit nervous facing these guys, then i thought of the scene with him and Grevious on Utapau and said, no, he's the quintessential Jedi and he'd have pushed his fears aside by now.

Jedi_Tigris
    : thanks! the sw lines are always fun to put in. i always feel like it grounds a story more deeply in the GFFA as long as it's not over done. after all, how many times have we heard 'i have a bad feeling about this'?

thanks to all of you for sticking with this! things are really heating up now and i look forward to getting the coming chapters down and out to you all soon. the next chapter is in first draft stage. i hope to have it ready for you next week. thanks for reading!

19. stormqueen874

stormqueen874 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2005
    *pokes head in after AGES of absence*

Hey, J_L! Just when you get back and start cookin', DRL decided to hit me hardest. *sighs* Anyway, I'm so glad that I was able to catch up, and then you've left us with a cliffie! *pouts* I'm biting my nails here, J_L, because I really really really want to know what happens with Obi and the Inkies. (Is that what you called them? I'm not sure, and I can't exactly check at the moment)

Great job with this, J_L, and your cover art is absolutely breathtaking, as usual. :) Hope you update soon!

-Stormqueen

20. DarthMousche

DarthMousche Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    Augh! - now who's the evil author leaving nasty cliffies? [face_shame_on_you] I'll be biting my nails until the next one!

I love the moment when Obi-Wan puts his hand on Asajj's shoulder and she feels that clarity.

21. JediMindTrick000

JediMindTrick000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2004
    Honestly, I'm only like halfway done reading this story, but I wanted to go ahead and up it now because a story like this truly deserves to be on the front page. There is one good thing about going out to sea: when you get back it's like being a kid on Christmas morning, and the presents I'm getting are awesome. You've got a great thing here JL, and I'll actually post some "real" comments when I get done.

22. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    SQ: hi hon! so glad to see you 'round and that you're still enjoying this. what happens with Obi and the Inkies (yes, you're right) is mostly up to Asajj and she's not telling me yet. [face_devil]

DarthMousche: oh, so sorry. not! this was probably the best effort at a cliffie i've ever written. well, the next one is pretty good, too. you'll just have to let me know. [face_devil]

JMT: thank you so much, that means a lot to me. writing it in such scattered chunks, i'm not sure how it reads straight through. i'm interested to hear what you think of it as a whole once you get back to the end.

well folks, bit more of a delay, my apologies. i'm starting to pull together chapter 10 while oqi pulls chapter 9 into itty bitty pieces for me. someone got distracted by DRL and her new mod duties and hasn't gotten to my sad little beta yet. just kidding oqi, take your time.:D

23. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    i'll leave no introduction and let you all get reading...

Chapter 9

In the center of a wattle and daub courtyard, a small cricket leapt its way toward the shadows at the edge. Trying to escape the blistering suns that beat down upon the ground, the distance the insect traveled grew shorter with each leap as fatigue set in. It stopped a few feet from the edge, sitting just long enough to prepare for a final jump into the cool shade. With relief in sight, the cricket primed its powerful legs and launched itself into the air. An inch off the ground, all hope was lost as a dark soled foot slammed down from above, accompanied by the crunching of a chitin shell.

Pale faces hidden from the burning sun, the Inquisitors coiled together, edging toward the shadows as if simple proximity would protect them from the fierce heat. Yet even this discomfort did not prevent them from maintaining an air of superiority as they faced an outnumbered, exiled Jedi Master and his current student.

?You think it will be difficult for us to capture you.? Kalmastrum?s smile returned, reaching into the Force to probe both Obi-Wan and his protégé.

?Even this one,? he pointed a bony, white finger at Asajj, ?fearing it and desiring it as she does, still remains ignorant of the deep pools of power the Dark side offers to its loyal servants.?

Obi-Wan said nothing in response; his jaw simply clenched a little tighter and he risked a sideways glance at Asajj. She was sweating and had developed a clammy pallor in the few minutes his attentions were otherwise occupied. He reached out a small tendril through the Force, receiving a lash of turmoil back and decided to wait a while before trying such an experiment again. He could not afford the discouragement that would bring right now. Instead, he ignited his lightsaber, hoping a show of confidence would draw his companion into action.

There was a spark of hope when Asajj ignited both her sabers. He sent a plea into the Force, reaching for the two Jedi who crafted those blades years ago that they might lend her their strength for the fight ahead. The Inquisitors chuckled;a look of unbridled mirth infecting their faces.

?Ah yes, the venerable lightsaber, civilized weapon of the mighty Jedi. I must say it is not a surprising sight, especially yours, Master Kenobi.? Venictum slurred the name with a venomous condescension.

Obi-Wan gave a curt nod and assumed a defensive stance. Asajj followed his lead and he allowed himself a small sense of relief that, despite her deceptions, she seemed stalwart enough to remain by his side.

Yet deep within her, Asajj Ventress quavered. She was a great warrior, had been a force of authority on her lawless homeworld and fought valiantly on the side of the Separatists, even facing Anakin Skywalker in battle and surviving. However, none of this prepared her for the evil that leeched from the beings before her. She stood there, waiting for their polite façade to drop and their true selves to surface. Only then would Ben understand, he would know why she was running. It was the only hope for survival against these demons.

The Inquisitors smiled and opened their robes. Obi-Wan expected them to drop the billowing fabric to the ground before drawing sabers of their own and was surprised by the vision now facing him. No, these were no Sith, and now Obi-Wan wondered exactly how they were to defeat such creatures.

There was nothing beneath the robes, or if there was it was mired in such a darkness that even the binary stars of Tatooine could not penetrate it.

With the enemy looking on, the Inquisitors reached into that darkness, grabbing it and grimacing as they pulled out threads of black mist. Gathering these bits of their own being together, the mist quickly coalesced into black whips of pure Dark side energy.

Never before had Ben witnessed the Force used in such a way. Asajj caught the slightest flicker of shock on his face before it was buried back under the impenetrable mask of Jedi calm. How could he not be afraid? Was the Light side s

24. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    :eek: ....nooooooooooooooo! Obi!!! :_|

Wow JL - I could hardly bear to read that, you've made me a nervous wreck!

=D= Fantastically written, the pacing was wonderful and the descriptions so vivid.

There was nothing beneath the robes, or if there was it was mired in such a darkness that even the binary stars of Tatooine could not penetrate it.

With the enemy looking on, the Inquisitors reached into that darkness, grabbing it and grimacing as they pulled out threads of black mist. Gathering these bits of their own being together, the mist quickly coalesced into black whips of pure Dark side energy.

*shivers*

Great update - don't leave us hanging for too long!

25. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    They didn't beat the Inquisitors?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

somehow, I thought the two of them together would.

Now I just hope they'll be alright.

this update was brilliantly written

=D= =D= =D= =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.