main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit When was the Empire's "Great Purge" of Mandalore? Post-ROTJ Operation Cinder? Pre-ANH?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Mar 10, 2023.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    When was the Empire's "Great Purge" of Mandalore?
    ==> Post-ROTJ Operation Cinder?
    ==> Pre-ANH?
    ==> Sometime off-screen during the OT?

I feel like it being part of Operation Cinder makes the most sense, but what evidence is there for these different potential times?

Vialco and MercenaryAce like this.
  2. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Interesting. Now that you mention it, being part of operation cinder does make sense, but I honestly never considered it before. I guess the way they spoke about it made it sound like something more distant than just five years ago. Honestly it sounds even older than 10, though I know it is not the case.

Personally, I saw it as part of the Mid-Rim retreat. That wouldn't be long after the Mandalorian arc of rebels, and I think it would sense that the peak of Mandalorian success would come as one of many uprisings and defections that pushed the empire to the limit...and that, in turn, the purge would be one of many brutal retaliations the empire carried out as it regained the upper hand.

Vialco likes this.
  3. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    They talk about Cinder that way too:
    "Now there's a man who knows his history."

MercenaryAce likes this.
  4. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I figured post-Yavin. The Empire went on a revenge trip following Scarif.

Force Smuggler and Foreign32567 like this.
  5. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Didn't Bo-Katan say that she ruled Mandalore for a year in The Mines of Mandalore? That would place the Purge right around the Battle of Yavin. Maybe Mandalore was to have been an early target of the Death Star.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
    Vialco, Ventrix, AusStig and 2 others like this.
  6. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    great topic and posts!

Now imagine what if the Emperor planned Operation Cinder already for ANH instead of after ROTJ!

With a DS operational and more on the way, the culling is ready to begin, the Senate dissolved, any meaningful resistance crushed. He can line up all resisting him like Alderaan, Dac, Mandlore, and Cinder them away one after another.

He even accounted for Tarkin or the DS cabal turning on him, as he maybe intended to die just t show his power, his apotheosis in returning from death so he can become the unquestioned ruler and god he always strived to be for his Dark "One Sith Eternal" Empire.

The Rebellion, oblivious to it all, got lucky to postpone all that by merely taking out the DS1!

7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    That could also be refference to end of Clone wars to where we are in Bad Batch, as Rebels mention she was put in charge of Mandalore by the Jedi. I think the Great Purge of Mandalore happenned sometime post Yavin and before ESB. As this was to awnser why you dont see Mandalorians in the OT, I think it happens soon after Yavin. With The Rebellion first real victory, The Empire cound't take any chances and genoside the Mandalorians and glass their planet.

8. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    She was. Then a day or two later the Republic became the Empire, and my understanding was that they never truly left until Rebels.

Vialco likes this.
  9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    We know the Republic left Mandalore with Ahsoka. And Bo Katan had the difficult burden of Rebuilding. But how soon and late did they come. I doubt she was deposed of just as soon as the Empire showed up. Like Cham Syndulla, she was popular with her people. And Empire might need to descredit her so Gar Saxon could take over. So i think she refference post ROTS, when Mandalore was United under Bo Katan. We might see it in Bad Batch future seasons.

Vialco and MercenaryAce like this.
  10. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    That is true, good point.

That does make sense.

In particular, if there was a list of worlds for the death star to destroy, I could see Mandalore being on it due to its troublesome nature, along with Lothal, Mon Cala, Chandrilla etc.

Vialco likes this.
  11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I dont think Yavin and Mandalore rebellion was a year apart. Maybe. And dont think they waste 1 year of war when they have the Rebellion to deal with.

12. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying there was roughly a year between the Rebels Season 4 premiere and ANH.

13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Yeah thats what i mean Mandalore rebellion starts with Bo Katan takes the darksaber and lead Mandalore. How long does it take for The Empire to just dont try to subdue Mandalore and just bomb Mandalore to glass.

14. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Judging by Lothal, the Empire does fight pretty hard before they are willing to give up on a world and just glass it. I can imagine them spending another year trying to take Mandalore back from Bo-Katan before just deciding the wipe the place out.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  15. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Give me that novel trilogy. Gideon's year-long campaign against Bo-Katan, starting with attempts to covertly undermine her authority up until resorting to complete annihilation.

16. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    She only says "I ruled here for a brief time".

17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    She could mean both post ROTS and between Rebels premiere and The great Purge.

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Instead the empire bombed that place to high heaven.
    was this season the first mention of nuclear weapons in the new canon. I forget if they said fusion or fission bombs both are nuclear of course.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  19. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    I think so, although in the Phasma novel, Parnassos was the site of a nuclear disaster of some kind.]

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    During the Mid Rim Retreat strikes me as the most likely. That makes it around nine years ago, long enough for Mandalore as a planet to recover to some extent.

21. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I think the Purge itself began as early as the Rebels storyline. Tiber Saxon seemed keen on Genocide in the sense of wiping away Mandalorian culture and pride, killing thousands if not millions along the way, to make way for a New Mandalore compliant to the Empire. The use of the Dutchess arc pulse weapon being a key component of his plans. When he failed and presumably perished along with the weapons destruction, the Emperor took the gloves off. Mandalore could not be allowed to join the growing Rebellion and an example needed to be set.

The purge is more likely a prolonged conflict but "The Night of a Thousand Tears" seems to be the defining event of the Purge - presumably when the Empire bombarded the planet with fusion bombs.

So I would say prior to Operation Cinder. Concurrent to the GCW.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  22. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Agree. That also would be quite a harsh contrast for Sabine - the Rebellion achieving a huge victory, but shortly after her civilization being almost destroyed.

23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I wonder how long this campaign would go on for. From Rebels premiere to soon after RO/ANH, a year conflict?

24. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    It's been implied by the creators that Lothal's liberation was within a few weeks of Scarif and Yavin. Who knows. We need an official date on-screen for the time between Lothal and Scarif soon. Maybe the writers should split their focus between The High Republic and this era a bit better.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Yes but between Mandalore to Lothal how long is that almost a year. So few weeks or months to Yavin.