main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where are you having the best luck finding collectibles in the Greenville area?

Discussion in 'Archive: Greenville, NC' started by Dal--Intrepid, Jul 20, 2003.

?

Where are you having the best luck finding collectibles in the Greenville area?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. Walmart

20.0%
  2. Toys 'r Us

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Target

60.0%
  4. Kmart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Kay Bee

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Nostalgia Newstand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Ebay & Online Retailers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Yard Sales

20.0%
  9. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. I just go out of town

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Uniques had a couple of really nice lighted wood book shelves that would be almost perfect to displaying my plates, ceramic figurines, and some of my nicer stuff, but I just don't have room in my bonus room. The shelf was probably close to 7 feet tall and probably 4 1/2 - 5 feet wide. Also, there's no door on the front, so it would just scream to my daughter to either climb or break stuff. There was also a nice steel tube shelf system with glass shelves and each row of shelves had two tiers, so you could display larger stuff on the bottom tier and then smaller things like ceramics or pewter on the higher tier. I think they only wanted $40 for that one. I could probably make room for that, but it's also something else my kid would get into. I think it would've fit nicely beside my poster rack.

The Clonetrooper is cool. Just like Boba Fett of course. I like the silver figures OK, but I think they're getting out of hand with them. They used to have some significance with the 25th anniversary, but now they're just another marketing gimmick. Of course I'm a sucker for a gimmick. Had I not gotten it free, I don't know if I would've gotten it. It was nice that it gave me an excuse to buy the Boba Fett Unleashed, which is really what I wanted. The free Clonetrooper was just a bonus, though it was almost a month later before I got it.

2. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Saw my first Original Trilogy Collection item at TRU yesterday - the OTC Tie Fighter. It was really interesting seeing the old style of boxes again. I hope to at least get a few of the OTC figures of some of my favorite characters.

3. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Well I'm still having no luck finding the VOTC figures around here, but the hunt is half the fun!

Target has a few items on clearance - they've knocked a couple of bucks off the CW Animated figures and the figures with a glass sets are now half off.

4. Jedi_Master_Kel

Jedi_Master_Kel Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2002
    Anybody know where I can find a Vader Unleashed and a Slave Leia Unleashed?

JMK

5. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    I think Slave Leia and Vader are part of the newest waves of the Unleashed figures. I don't think the wave with Vader is out just yet. (Vader was part of the original wave, but is now be re-released in this newest wave again). The Slave Leia wave may be out now, but I'm not sure. You may want to check out the Unleashed thread over at the Raleigh forum. Natalie keeps up with the Unleashed stuff pretty closely. The only stuff our TRU currently has (as of yesterday) is Han Solo, Darth Sidious, and Luke Skywalker.

On another note, OTC figures have finally hit Target in Greenville! (And there was great rejoicing). They had 7-8 characters but I ended up just getting an R2, X-Wing Pilot Luke, and Dagobah Luke. I swore myself to only three figures on this first trip. The packaging is just soooo cool! They had Darth Vader, but he was a little banged up, so I passed on him. But I really hope to find another in better condition later.

6. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    VOTC and Galactic Heroes are at Kmart. (Yeah, Kmart - that dusty, dingy store that nobody seems to go to anymore).

VOTC figures look really cool and the custom cases are a nice touch, but they're not really worth $10 to me. Sure, there's a nostalgic feel to them, but if you want me to get really nostalgic about them, try selling them for 1977 prices (or at least $5 like everything else now).

The Playskool Galactic Heroes are great and you get two figures for around $5. I'll likely try to get most of these as my budget allows. I'm really more interested in the OT figures though.

7. Jedi_Master_Kel

May 13, 2002
    Thanks for the update Dal. I'll have the check out K-Mart.

JMK

8. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    The G'ville TRU put out the Silver Clonetroopers that they were giving away at the beginning of the summer. They're $4.99 now and most seemed to be in nice shape. If you missed out before, here's your chance. There looked to be between 15-20 on the pegs and they just got put out today, so I don't know how long they'll last.

9. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    The TRU freaked me out the other day. They've moved the entire Star Wars section to a new area. It's kind of on the main aisle that circles the store now, between the figure section and the toy car section. I guess it's about the same size, just spread out on four sides of its own shelving unit.

The VOTC figures are really warming the pegs at TRU and Target. I don't expect TRU will ever put them on sale, but Target is usually quick to drop SW stuff to clearance if it doesn't move. If they drop VOTC to $6 or less, then I may get some. But for $10, I think they're overpriced ripoffs. Especially when regular OTC figures are right beside them for half the price.

TRU has put a few more SW items on sale though. Some of the 12" figures like Zam and Imperial Officer are $4.98 now and the 12" Boushh with Han in Carbonite (that lights up) is down to around $15. There were a few other things in the clearance section, but those were the big ones.

10. Jedi_Master_Kel

May 13, 2002
    Thanks for the update. I thought about picking some of the VOTC figures up, but at $10 bucks, that's highway robbery. I remember picking them up (ok, so mom and grandma picked them up) for around $2. I don't think plastic has increased in price that much over the years.

JMK

11. JediScout

JediScout Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    Dalton,

Wave 4 of Star Tours figures is about to hit the shelves. let me know if you want them and next time Im there Ill grab you a set.

As for the VOTC, I dont mind paying the 9.49, I look at it as getting a star case with with, Thats anywehre up to 2 bucks if you think about it.

talk to you later, gotta go get ready for round 2 with the hurricane.

Dale

12. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Hey Dale! Thanks for the heads up. I imagine I'll be touching base with you sometime soon about Wave 4. In fact, I don't know if they're still on the shelves down there, but I think I might need at least one figure from Waves 1 & 2 also. I'll just need to go back through my bins and check.

Be careful with Frances and let's hope Ivan takes a turn away from everybody too!

13. JediScout

JediScout Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    Dalton,

they have waves 1, 2, and 3 on the shelves still. They pretty much have them year round. Just let me know. Didnt get too much from Frances, and Im hoping that Ivan dies out or turns somewhere else. 3 in a row is just too much. Been in the house since friday, and Im ready to get some fresh air.

Dale

14. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Good to hear Frances wasn't as bad as it could've been for you. It looks like Ivan may stay south, just nip you guys and hopefully head into the Gulf.

I'll have to dip into my figure bins and see what I need. I should really get organized and keep a list, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. :p

15. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Sam's Club has a bunch of the OTC Millenium Falcon with crew exclusive sets. When you consider you pay $50 just for the ship at TRU, $60 for the ship and six extra figures is a pretty good deal. I never had the Falcon as a kid. I had to choose between the Falcon and the Death Star playset and went with the Death Star. Maybe Santa can hook me up with a Falcon this Christmas. :)

16. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    This Friday One-Day-Only Sale at Kmart - Nov. 5th.

Star Wars figures and Galactic Heroes 2-packs are $3.26 each. Limit 3.

I haven't picked up any GH figures yet, so I may try to stock up Friday depending on what the wallet allows.

17. Jedi_Master_Kel

May 13, 2002
    This is perfect. I plan on leaving work early on Friday and to take Alex to see THE INCREDIBLES. Maybe before we go, I'll take him shopping.

Thanks for the info Dal.

Kevin

18. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    We all swung by Kmart Friday night and picked up a few things on sale. We picked up five of the Galactic Heroes packs and a Han Solo in AT-ST gear. I think that trip is probably gonna count as part of my birthday.

As for deals this week . . . Kmart has their X-Box Platinum Hits games for $16.99. That includes SW: Knights of the Old Republic. I'm one of those people that buys Madden '04 when the new Madden '05 comes out because they go on sale, so this deal is right up my alley. I just can't drop $50 for a new game. And since I just finished playing Jedi Outcast about a month ago, I'm about on schedule. I guess I'll get Battlefront for Christmas '05. :p

Also, K*B is having a pre-Christmas clearance with many items 50% off. I was in there this weekend and they had the K*B exclusive 12" Gamorrean Guard for half off, which made it $15. There were also a few Lego sets on the clearance table, but I think they were the same ones that have been on sale for the last year and a half.

19. Jedi_Master_Kel

May 13, 2002
    Thanks for the info Dal. I picked Alex up two of the Galactic figure packages, Boba Fett/Dengar and Jango Fett/Obi-wan. I'm going to save these for Christmas. I went shopping before I picked him up to take him to the movies, so he has no idea :)

The Incredibles was great!

Go see it.

JMK

20. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    As if to torment me and my frugal ways, Target drops their Platinum Hits XBox games to $14.77 this week, which includes Knights of the Old Republic, making them around $2 cheaper than Kmart had them last week.

21. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Kev - I saw a couple of the Action Fleet ships at the Colonial K*B Toys on the half price table. I don't know if there were more in there as the table was pretty crowded and had been sort of ransacked by customers. I thought you mentioned you liked the AF stuff at one point. I saw a couple of Solar Sailers, but there may be more, if you're up for a treasure hunt.

22. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    The three new SW DVD's come out tomorrow - Animated Droids, Animated Ewoks, and Caravan of Courage/Battle of Endor. Surprisingly Circuit City is beating Best Buy by a buck a piece on price this time - $8.99 each. Of course, I never check Wal*Mart for this stuff, so they may be better.

23. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Jedi Force figures are at Toys 'R Us. They look great! Strangely, they are not in the Star Wars section. They're in the Playskool area near the little kids toys. They look a lot like the Galactic Heroes figures, except much bigger, making them pretty nicely-detailed. The Vader and the Droids set were easily my favorite of the four.

24. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Target and Walmart are putting a lot of their Star Wars stuff on clearance. You can get the latest OTC line of figures for roughly $3.00 each, VOTC for around $7.00, and 12" OTC from $15-20 depending on how lucky you get.

As always, Hallmark now has their Keepsake ornaments half off after the holidays which of course includes the Star Wars ones - Star Destroyer, Anakin, Chewie with Threepio on his back, and a 1-sheet poster. I know we have some Trek fans in our midst also, and they're also out there. I'm not really a Trek guy, but I did see some cool insignia ornaments at the Hallmark shop in the Target shopping center. I also saw the Frodo Baggins ornament from LOTR. I'm debating getting that one. I hate to get started on another collection of ornaments, but LOTR could suck me in.

25. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    ROTS Preview figures have hit Target. I saw all four there tonight. Much like Maul was the early hit of TPM, I'm thinking General Grievous is gonna be the hit of this preview set. Personally I like the Wookiee Warrior the best. I also noticed figure prices have gone up a buck to roughly $7 a figure. At that price, I'm just gonna let them sit unless something really great comes out. I already fuss at myself for spending $5-6 a piece as it is, so these are gonna have to wait for a sale or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.