main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Where do you get your books?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by NYCitygurl, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Borders? Barnes and Noble? Amazon? Local place? www.bookcloseouts.com? The library?

Which do you prefer and why?

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Barnes and Noble. They've got better selection than anywhere else, having a membership saves me money and gets me a ton of coupons sent my way, and I can buy online or in their stores right away. It's just a good package deal.

I get my comics from my LCS, though, since B&N takes forever to get TPBs in stock but my LCS is always ready day of. Besides, there's just something nice about patronizing a comic shop.

3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Amazon.com, for me. They've got fairly good deals, and it has the shortest delivery time of any place I've found yet to import from.

4. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    From various places.

In general, I prefer to get my books in a store since the experience of actually touching and browsing through a book before buying it means a lot to me. It's part of the experience and I don't get that from ordering online. So normally I buy my books in stores here in London, like Waterstones, Foyles or any other around Charing Cross Road.

But sometimes I get some from amazon since they tend to have novels like The Hero of Ages way before Waterstones and for a better price.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Comics from amazon, and I think I may start using it for hardbacks as well... paperbacks from wherever. Used bookstores if possible, or Barnes & Noble, Books a Million, or Borders... whatever's close. I used to be a member at BaM, but they've raised the membership price to where its not worth it anymore :(

6. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Most of the time, I get my books from Barnes and Noble, predominately because I just love the atmosphere and act of actually picking out the stuff. But the books that I can't find at Barnes and Noble, I just order from Barnes and Noble.com. I've got a nice little account set up over there through "My Barnes and Noble" where everything is categorized and sub-categorized and sub-sub-categorized just the way I like it. ;)

7. Tiggermyk

Tiggermyk Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2009
    Usually I get mine from BaM (IMHO they have a slightly better selection than B&N), although I'm never one to pass up any bookstore, local, used, or otherwise. :)

I won't let myself buy them online, though. It's money that I can't see or feel, so I'm like, "Ooooh, one more book wouldn't hurt...and that one, too, I've been wanting it for a while...OMGOMGOMG THEY HAVE THAT ONE?! MUST...HAVE!!" I would be broke within a few days. In a bookstore, when I restrict myself to cash and their selection, I can actually leave with some change left over.

8. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I would agree... but I can get the comics (and hardbacks) cheaper online :p

9. Tiggermyk

Tiggermyk Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2009
    And since they're cheaper, I would buy even more because, hey, it's only another three bucks! *shakes head*

10. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    True... that does explain why my SW comic collection has increased in size rather significantly over the past couple years :p O:)

There are benefits to having books being pretty much the only thing I spend extra money on. I even have a little framed quote that says "When I get a little money I buy books... if there's any left over I buy food and clothes" :D

11. Tiggermyk

Tiggermyk Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2009
    Yeah, I saw that quote in your apartment. And then I put it as my signature on another site. :D

And now to bed.

12. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I get my books online usually. 3 or so at a time to get free shipping.

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Ohmygosh I love that!! That's how I set up my files system in work. I love categorizing everything :D

[face_laugh] I can see that :p

I've always gone to Borders, because . . . well, because I've always done that 8-} Their selection has dropped in recent years (last I saw people are predicting they'll be gone in a year) so for a bit I was telling people I preferred B&N, but then a Borders moved into the mall I worked at and I could stop in after my shifts, and I didn't have to beg my paernts for weeks to take me there (this was pre-drivers license).

I agree about the online thing. I've gone to bookcloseouts.com a couple times and they've been nice and cheap (especially during sales =P~ ) but I spend too much.

And lately I've been using the library for pretty much everything, even moreso than in the past :p

14. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    Books are insanely expensive here so I have started to get them shipped out from Amazon in the uk.

15. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    RPG books - Hastings, used.
    Reading books - Library

16. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Waterstones - mostly fiction, I have a loyalty card, mostly where I get my fiction from
    Blackwells - mostly academic, I have a loyalty card
    Games Workshop - Games workshop books and products
    Amazon - mostly this is where I get my academic books from, don't normally buy from here
    WH Smiths - good for fiction, though I don't buy from here much
    Tesco - a few good offers from time to time
    Charity shops - great for older books that aren't readily available any more

Waterstones is probably my favourite place though. They often have 3 for 2 offers on, and the one near me has a huge sci-fi/fantasy section and a good childrens' section, which is good as I seem to be interested in teen fiction a lot lately.

17. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I used to be a Manager at Books A Millon(BAM) so I got my books there.

I was part of the SF Book club but didn't like their smaller HC edition books.
    I also sometimes use Amazon but I like to have prestine books and alot of the time those books come to you dinged up:mad: (Every book I read and keep still looks brand new except the pages that get darker from the oil and dirt of my fingers.)

So I started using Waldens Books after I quit BAM but then last month the Walden here shut down so I had to go to BAM.

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    How do you keep them in such good condition? The ones I read a bunch of times have dinged-up spines.

19. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Mostly libraries - well over half of all books I read, and I always look first at libraries if they have the book I need or want - but when it comes to buying books I mostly buy them through internet from whatever bookshop has the cheapest prize for the books want. Those are planned buys, when I buy from chainstores and from used book shops, I usually just go into see what I can find.

20. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I just handle them extremely carefully. I don't bend the spine of any paperback book that I own so sometimes reading them is very hard when I have to keep turning the book in order to read.

Just generally taking care of it and trying to keep them out of the hands of my 2 yr. old son!!!!! lol

21. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I mostly buy my books at BN, i'm a seasonal employee so i get a discount. I also buy from amazon.com on occation and from borders, if i get a good cupon.

22. Louis_Skywalker

Louis_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 12, 2008
    I buy from Waterstones in our town centre as I enjoy the experience of going into book stores. I'll also go to book sales and 2nd hand book stores when looking for something non-specific. I know it would be cheaper online but most of the time I finish a book and have to go and buy one that same day.

23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    In the 90's, most of my books came places like Hastings and On-Cue. Sometimes from Wal-Mart and once from Shopko. A couple of Batman books from a Little Professor book store and the T2 novelization from Walden Books. Over the last ten years, it has been a different story. I still get books from Wal-Mart, since they keep their book prices low compared to the cover price. I've gotten a few from Borders and Barnes & Noble. Mostly when I get books, I've been getting them from used book stores, where the prices are either dirt cheap or half of the cover price. Even been able to trade some of my sister's old books that she no longer reads. And if not from book stores, places like thrift shops. Otherwise, I check out the book from the public library if I don't wish to purchase or cannot find it in print. I've looked at Amazon and the like, but haven't purchased through them.

24. Topper_Harley

Topper_Harley Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2008
    BaM or B&N for hardbacks. Walmart for new starwars paperbacks. Sometimes borders and I love used bookstores. I need to utilize amazon more often, I reckon.

25. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Barnes and Noble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.