main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Where does Star Wars go as an IP from here?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by 2Cleva, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I at least prefer it to what we have now: non sequitur storytelling.

2. TK-2814

TK-2814 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 20, 2019
    For me if/when films centered on Jedi in the Old Republic or even the High Republic are made there’s a strange sense of comfort knowing their lives are not bounded by a pre-established Jedi Purge event. Or they could avoid the feeling of “everything will go to crap”, go post IX and present a future Jedi Order that improve on their predecessors’ shortcomings and won’t fall prey to yet another Order 66, but that’s just me.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  3. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    True, we watched the prequels knowing Anakin's fate. But why bother to learn about history? (just using your post as a jumping off point)

We revisit historical time periods to understand how we got to where we are today. We want to understand the daily lives of people who lived under different conditions and understand why things progressed a certain way. When we understand the past, we can better understand where we are going.

I revisit my childhood to better understand myself as an adult. Same thing.

4. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Anakin was set up as a tragic character from the very beginning. Luke was not. Relatively few people wanted to see him descend into depression and self-pity and failing in his life's work. Hence the backlash against TLJ.

ami-padme and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  5. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    Yes, it's not just fan desire, as you say, but that his arc was never set up for this; if it was, we would see more self-doubt in his character at the end of ROTJ. The main problem with Luke's story is that it's obvious the only reason the writers have chosen it is because they need to have no Jedi around to prop up their new characters and plot, so Luke must fail, not because it's a probable character arc, but because of artificial reasons. This obvious issue is ignored by people who focus on whether the arc is "possible" or not. But almost anything is possible, which is why it's such a weak defense: Luke could have degenerated into a slime puddle. How new and subversive that would be!

So people can only really argue that these possibilities existed for Luke, but very few are willing to argue that this was the probable arc for him. Therefore, those who like the arc have no problem with poor cause and effect storytelling. They mostly value difference for the sake of difference. While I can understand while people enjoy new things, it should never be at the cost of organic, cause and effect story.

Shifting this back around to SW IP future, we have to ask ourselves, I believe, who was smoking the strong stuff when they decided to move away from the Skywalkers, Solos, and Calrissians. We had the potential for a few generations of fun here, but they rejected that for ... the Starhoppers 1,000 years after RoS! This is like LFL buying Superman and Batman from DC, or Spiderman from Marvel, and then writing them out of the story for undeveloped, less interesting characters. I could understand it if they hired amazing writers to invent the new characters, but they picked JJ Abrams, who can't tell a story, and Rian Johnson, who doesn't believe in stories -- and Larry Kasdan who is not hip in any sense of the word except broken hip.

While Finn had a lot of unfulfilled potential in the ST, Poe and Rey are pretty bland characters. I'm not certain why people have a lot of confidence in the brand new characters LFL will produce. The EU and TV people I have more confidence in, but the filmmakers they've chosen thus far do not make me excited for future films. As for Rogue One, there was a lot of promise in those characters too, more so than the ST, but they also suffer from lack of time and development.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  6. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Re: The bold text, I couldn't agree more. If Luke had successfully brought the Jedi back the writers would've had to come up with a completely different story for Rey and, well everybody else. By now we all know that Mark Hamill has said that Luke wouldn't have given up on everybody and he wouldn't have contemplated killing his nephew. He was right. The writers changed Luke's character to serve the needs of their new characters. It's an odd choice when you consider the very real possibility that we aren't going to see Rey and the gang in a Star Wars movie for a very long time if ever. They tore down all the accomplishments of the OT heroes in order to basically give them to the ST heroes only to then promptly mothball the ST heroes.

You'd think the ST would just be the beginning for the new characters, that it was setting the stage for the Rey era, where we'd see these characters popping up in movies for the next few years...and yet that's likely not the case. They put in all this work to introduce these new characters and they're going to box them up and put them on a shelf and probably send the storyline back a few hundred years with a whole new cast and a story that has nothing to do with what happened in the other movies.

ETA: TPTB are probably thinking, "you're tired of the OT vehicles? Fine! We'll give you a movie without TIE's and X-Wings. You're tired of the stormtroopers? Fine! No more stormtroopers. You want a movie with a Jedi Order? Fine We'll give you all of that! Once catch. The movie takes place 400 years ago!"

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    ami-padme, The Chalk Jedi and 2Cleva like this.
  7. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    Everyone loves Vader, so everyone was anticipating seeing Anakin transform into him. Those who liked Luke in TLJ don't need additional backstory for his character 180 to make sense, but for many of those who didn't like Luke in TLJ, we may require more backstory for us to buy it, but I think a lot of us won't want to. For me personally, I don't think there's any era they could pick that would interest me less at this point than Luke's backstory. And that's crazy because he's one of my favourite characters, but that's where I am. I don't want Luke's bizarre characterization "fixed" or explained to me. I just want to move past it.

And speaking of moving past it... whatever direction they go in the future, I hope the next phase is more interconnected. It would be really cool if we could movies, TV shows, and books all taking place in the same era and all talking to each other. Imagine if there are 2-3 year gaps in between films and there is a TV show that takes place in time with them. So the show leads directly into the events of the movies and then deals with the consequences of them. The PT era did something like this with all the PT-era comics, games, books etc. coming out in between films. We didn't have much of that with the ST.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  8. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Re: the bold text, who knows if it'll happen but somebody at Disney or LFL has suggested that they might in fact do that.

9. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    Where do Star Wars go ? Bob Iger knows:

‘Star Wars’ Future Will Be ‘Television,’ ‘Mandalorian’ Spinoff Shows Possible

The Mandalorian” could be taking a page from “The Avengers.”

The hit Disney Plus series may introduce new heroes and villains who will star in their own spinoff shows, Walt Disney Company chairman Bob Iger told investors on Tuesday shortly after the company presented quarterly earnings.

Iger said the company is exploring “the possibility of infusing [‘The Mandalorian’] with more characters and taking those characters in their own direction in terms of series.”

The future of “Star Wars,” the space opera saga that Disney bought the rights to in 2012 when it purchased Lucasfilm for $4 billion, will be on the small screen. The release of “The Rise of Skywalker” last December ended the nine-film series about the Skywalker clan. It also led Disney to, Iger said, “take a bit of a hiatus in terms of theatrical releases.” The company believed it had over-saturated the market for “Star Wars” sequels and spinoffs — “The Rise of Skywalker” was the lowest grossing of the three most recent installments and 2018’s “Solo” lost money.

“The priority in the next few years is television,” Iger told investors.

That will include not only “The Mandalorian,” but also a series based on Cassian Andor, a Rebel captain played by Diego Luna, who was first seen in “Rogue One,” as well as a series centered on Obi-Wan Kenobi, that recently made headlines when production was put on hold while the creative team worked on the scripts.

“The Mandalorian” has been a signature hit for Disney Plus since the streaming service launched in November. That’s in no small part thanks to Baby Yoda, the cherubic alien who launched a million memes. Iger promised that more consumer products based on the character will hit store shelves in the coming months.

More at: https://variety.com/2020/film/news/star-wars-mandalorian-spinoff-shows-1203493030/

10. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Yeah - this whole forum may be silent for a while.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  12. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    My first reaction to using the Mando to spin characters off is, Oh no, this sounds like a sure way to ruin the show. My second reaction is -- Luke Skywalker post-ROTJ show that portrays Luke as a master rebuilding the Jedi Order? Is it possible? Might the show begin a massive retcon of the ST? Please?

:p

jedi-soon, 2Cleva and ImpKnight like this.
  13. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    I'm waiting for Jaxxon and a group of Lepis to make an appearance in The Mandalorian. The timing is right. The era is right. I might be alone in this wish.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  14. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    If they play their cards right, an interconnected TV universe could be a cool idea - especially if it means seeing more of Mandalorian culture and politics.
    Oh, Project Luminous? It would be cool if they were able to connect that with the future film series. But like you said, who knows? It's possible that Project Luminous was originally supposed to connect with a film concept that has since gone the way of the Dodo.
    After RoS I wonder just how many people would be upset if Disney retconned the ST into oblivion. It seems like few people are satisfied with it now. Many who liked TFA were let down with TLJ and many who liked TLJ were let down with RoS. Then there are the curmudgeons like me who don't like any of them. :p

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    2Cleva and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  15. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    I don't think that Iger really believes that the problem is too many films. He's smart enough to recognize that the problem is poor planning and poor storytelling. Good storytelling receives a strong reaction, like The Mando. Bad storytelling receives a mixed or poor reaction.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the ST's story importance is minimized over time. Focusing on stories between ROTJ and TFA would be the best way to do this.

Now, if you think what I'm saying is unlikely, consider the direction things have gone since the release of TLJ. People keep maintaining all is well, but the evidence keeps contradicting that position.

2Cleva and ImpKnight like this.
  16. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Nah Iger or somebody said that that TV shows like The Mandalorian could be a spring board to future movies.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  17. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    What Jedi Order? Let the past die. Who needs block buster movies.
    It's Star Wars. It has nothing to do with Jedi, Sith, the force and other stupid stuff.
    It's Star Wars - don't you know?
    S T A R W A R S!

18. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    They brought him back due to the false narrative that he was the visionary behind ESB and ROTLA, and that he allegedly "saved" those movies from George Lucas. In reality, those stories were mostly Lucas, and Kasdan's gift is with dialogue instead of storytelling. Kasdan really doesn't have a clue about the DNA of Star Wars.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  19. stargeek123

stargeek123 Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2020
    The franchise is not going anywhere movie wise. Bob Iger had made it official - as of yesterday the movie franchise is on hiatus.

My guess is the real reason - apart from getting someone of moderate talent to come up with a decent idea for a new trilogy (not Rian Johnson or GoT writers!) - is Avatar. There's no reason to fast or even medium track any new SW movies with two Avatar sequels out in the next few years. Avatar is going to be huge (most likely) and could gross more than ROS. My guess is that's the real reason we won't be seeing any new SW movies. Well, not for quite some time.

indydefense and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  20. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018

Evidently George sees it differently. I'm erring on the side of goin' with Beardy on this one.

21. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Read some of the writer's room discussions they had. Storywise, Kasdan had radically different ideas than Lucas. He was there primarily to flesh out the characters and dialogue.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Now would not be a good time in history to argue that democracies are not always a good choice. Democracies are under siege around the world, and if Disney can do one thing to influence global culture, it should be to forcefully defend democracies in the face of rising authoritarian sentiments (and resist the temptation to placate the Chinese government, in particular). Equivocating on that subject would be hugely irresponsible. No ethical relativism from Disney please.

23. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Thank god for that. Let it all breathe. Give us some more quirky SW tv shows, I'm 100% down with that. Then, when they come up with an absolutely killer story and script with a great arc to it, make the new films. Slowly. Over three years for each one if necessary.

24. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I do think that tv shows will allow them to experiment, with story/concept/style, do so more freely, cheaply, and with less risk impact. They can then take what they learn, take what's proven successful, and move it up to the movie-verse when ready.

25. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m excited by the focus on TV.

Mostly Handless likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.