main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Where does Star Wars go as an IP from here?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by 2Cleva, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Hego Damask the Frugal?

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Have you ever heard the legend of Darth Plagueis the pennywise? I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi who live in their opulent ivory tower would tell you. Darth Plagueis was a Sith Lord so fiscally wise that he could even keep his bank balance from dying.

3. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Darth Scrooge: “Bah! Humbug! I will manipulate the midichlorians to decrease the surplus population.”

A Neo-Malthusian Villain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Chalk Jedi and Bor Mullet like this.
  4. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Well - to answer my original post - the answer clearly is to follow the path the Mandalorian started on Disney+ with the key SW stories around that and most involved with other projects having Mandalorian/Favreau/Filoni roots.

This is the way.

Miles Lodson and Lee_ like this.
  5. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yes, this has shown itself to be the path of the greatest illumination- putting the methods that brought this homeostasis and harmony to the Star Wars world to work throughout the Galaxy.

I have spoken.

2Cleva likes this.
  6. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    You must be excited about the new Acolyte show. Aren't you a huge fan of Plaugeis? It's very possible he has some connection.

darklordoftech likes this.
  7. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    It’s not so much that I’m “a fan” of Darth Plagueis as much as what a character like his represents in STAR WARS as an allegory. Can you imagine if Plagueis had been employed as the Uber villain in the ST and lo and behold here we are in the middle of a global pandemic!

“Please allow me to introduce myself, I’m a Muun of wealth and taste”

Acolyte is an interesting term. It has a religious connotation. I suppose the Dark Side could be as such. It remains to be seen though if they keep nibbling around the edges or get to the meat. The title hints at the edges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EHT and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  8. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I believe it is clear where the IP goes from here: to Disney+. What movies have been announced? TWO. In the next 5 years, we will see two SW movies. Compare this to the 5 ongoing live-action TV shows (Mando, Andor, Ahsoka, Rangers and Acolyte), plus the mini-series (Kenobi, Lando), not to mention the rumored ones (Boba Fett, Ezra/Thrawn).

SW movies seem to be stand alone now. A movie about an X-Wing squadron, the origins of the Jedi... The combined narrative seems to be on TV now, with three different shows ending on a shared macro event.

The good news is these new TV Shows have the great SW characters on them: Ahsoka, Mando, Grogu, Fett, Bo-Katan, Gideon, Obi-Wan, Vader, Cassian... Why would I need to see Rey, Finn or Poe when I can enjoy these characters which are way more interesting?

ImpKnight, 2Cleva and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  9. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    I think they should adapt the Old Republic era like a Marvel movie when they get to it because I feel like they'll get murdered if they majorly change anything.

After the success of Mandalorian they're totally going to do the Jedi Mandalorian wars one day.

Before I would say nerf the Old Republic Sith but now Palpatine in TROS exists.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    Crod1992 and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  10. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    The dawn of the Jedi era, and the Old Republic era, are the best eras for films to develop.

I want to see a galaxy very ancient, even before the civilization of the Old Republic. Long before the Jedi had to deal with the Sith.

But I also want to see the ancient Jedi vs Sith/Mando conflicts. One of the eras I would prefer is the origins of the 100yr darkness. Think of the broken brotherhood of Obiwan vs Anakin, and multiply that many times. Seeing a generation of Jedi that existed pre-Sith to then dealing with civil war in their ranks, eventually leading to the creation of the Sith.

obi_kenobi_24 and Darth PJ like this.
  11. Haruss

Haruss Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2014
    Not without reason. Had Disney proven they could do majorly better than old EU and that ditching it was worth it perhaps things would be different but at this stage, people do NOT want Old Republic era heavily reworked. Not by Kennedy, Filoni, Favreau or anyone else. The work done by talented creators at DH Comics, Bioware & Obsidian should be complimented and added to/expanded upon, not thrown into a trashcan, mined and redone with a "we'll totally do better than them!" mindset.

ImpKnight and BalanceOfTheForce like this.
  12. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Pretty sure that if Rogue Squadron is a hit, which it will be, you'll see Rogue II and Rogue III: Dawn of Justice.
    It wont be standalone.

Sarge likes this.
  13. Jar Jar Skywalker

Jar Jar Skywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2017
    Funny how people want something new on one hand but love it when Disney brings in some established characters. No wonder Disney is bringing so many characters from clone wars and other media into the Mandalorian. Now they're making an Obi Wan show and bringing back Hayden. People are loving and praising it.

Now they gonna make an Asoka series? Really?

People don't want something new, they want the same old stories. That's why Disney is paying it safe. No need to make anything new and fresh.

14. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    The Mandalorian this season has shown that so clearly.
    Another old character turns up each week, and the crowd goes wild!
    And Disney aren't fools. They see what sells.

tymaux likes this.
  15. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Established characters are not the same as retread stories. People don't mind seeing favorite characters as long as they're doing something new and interesting with them.

ImpKnight, EHT, Darth PJ and 2 others like this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The Mandalorian is bringing in some fan favorite characters, but in a very new and fresh story. It’s not one or the other.

ImpKnight, Miles Lodson and Shamear like this.
  17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    The variety of the new shows I think gives something for everyone. There are loads of new and old characters and storylines in these shows.

Rivenblade and Shamear like this.
  18. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Yes, I'd second that. Whilst I'm all for 'new' characters/situations, it's not like Ahsoka, Cobb Vanth, Bo-Katan are that well known outside of fandom. As long as Lucasfilm make new and engaging stories, I think it's entirely logical/appropriate to weave existing 'good' characters (who previously haven't been seen in live action) into those new stories. And the same applies for Maul, Boba etc. whom, although they appeared in live action, were fleeting characters.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  19. Rivenblade

Rivenblade Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 21, 2020
    I'm excited about the future of Star Wars. The Mandalorian, along with the Darth Vader comic series that introduced Doctor Aphra, rekindled my passion for Star Wars in 2019. Since then, I've read a couple of books by Claudia Gray, and I've been enjoying reading about the new books and comics coming out, in addition to the tidal wave of news we got this past weekend.

The future of Star Wars?

It's in novels.
    It's in comics.
    It's in video games.
    It's on Disney Plus.
    It's on the big screen.

Star Wars feels quite vibrant right now. Think about this: In a few weeks, we are getting the Light of the Jedi novel, which will introduce us to the previously unexplored High Republic time period. That's really exciting to me! New characters, new stories, and a new time period. To me, Star Wars is at its best when it's doing something a little different and when it feels a little weird. With everything that is yet to come (Acolyte, hello!), I feel we are in for a Star Wars renaissance of sorts. Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic, but I can say that I am genuinely hopeful about the future of Star Wars and that I am looking forward to SO MUCH that the series has to offer, even if we don't get a big-time big screen trilogy any time soon.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  20. Rivenblade

Rivenblade Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 21, 2020
    Amen! I'm sure I won't love everything that comes out, but the odds are quite good that I will like and/or love a good number of them just due to the sheer variety of what is scheduled to come out.

Ahsoka
    Obi-Wan
    Acolyte
    Andor
    Rangers of the New Republic
    Visions
    Lando
    Droid Story

There is a lot to choose from there, and based on the creative minds involved, it will provide a range of themes, emotional hooks, and styles. I'm honestly blown away by what Star Wars could be and feel like 5 years from now.

IlhamKamaruddin and Lee_ like this.
  21. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    This. The shows/movies will be picking up steam over the next few years.

There is a lot of good going on in the SW universe right now as you say; what I like the best is that (soon) we will always have a variety of intriguing live action SW content right around the corner. It's always better to look forward to something that is a week away or a month away than years away.

Rivenblade likes this.
  22. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Confused Star Wars fan on Batman movies: "Why do they continue to make movies about Batman? Why do people enjoy movies about characters they enjoy? Isn't one Batman movie enough?"

Riv_Shiel and 2Cleva like this.
  23. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    To be honest, I am a bit sick of Batman movies.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, Batman is sick of your movies!

:(

25. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I won't drop any spoilers, but after finishing the last episode of Mando, I am like so thrilled and euphoric about the future of Star Wars.

Anyone else have that experience after finishing Mando today?

The possibilities are so endless, and they can do such cool things. This show is just out of hand good. Top spot of the Disney era, above even R1.

I think ROTS 2 (Obi Show) is going to have some real magic.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    Pro Scoundrel and 2Cleva like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.