main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Where does Star Wars go as an IP from here?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by 2Cleva, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think it's either post OT but early new republic stuff, or post TROS and fighting left overs off the first order.

2. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Meh....

The Pre-TPM world has more appeal for future films, then the post RoTJ one. There are just more possibilities.

Darth_Bertie and Shamear like this.
  3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think post ROTJ or post TROS can good storytelling, with ideads from GL and his drafts, a godfather gangster agains an early new republic, a great rebuilding post TROS and the dangers of a chaotic galaxy without a goverment body. secret sith acolytes carrying on the sith legacy creating dark jedis in the future agains the light. Aslo lets not forget the whills and their midi-chlorian planet. I think stories just right after or few 100 years post ST era can work well. but if you want backstories and prequels go past TPM like the acolyte.

4. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    Actually, that's either a T-70 or a T-85 in the logo. You can tell by the engines. :-B

That means it's either post-OT or post-ST. Personally I'm hoping for the former. The Mandalorian is the flagship for Star Wars at the moment and I think they would be wise to run with that and stick with the timeline between VI and VII for a while before going post-ST.

5. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Nope, it's definitely a T-65.

Bor Mullet and EHT like this.
  6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Hmm... to me, the shape of the engines in the logo look like they're supposed to be round, like a T-65... not a semi-circle like a T-70 or T-85. Also the way the things on the ends of the wings are attached to them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plus, there's a T-65 in the promo video, and also a Rebel Alliance helmet.

Bor Mullet, Sarge and Reepicheep775 like this.
  7. Reepicheep775

Jul 27, 2019
    I don't think so because on a T-65B there are four distinct engines. When viewed from the front, they looks like four circles.
    [​IMG]
    While on a T-70 (and a T-85) X-Wing, the two engines on either side look like a single engine when the S-foils aren't in attack position. From the front, they look like four semicircles.
    [​IMG]
    On the Rogue Squadron logo, you can see the four semi-circles.
    [​IMG]
    EDIT: Haha I spoke too soon. The engines definitely looked like the belonged to a T-70 to me at first glance, but now that you mention it... yeah, it does kind of look like a T-65B. :oops:

If that is the case, my money is on this being around the time of The Mandalorian.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    Sarge likes this.
  8. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Well, I can't see your images, but if you look at this image, you can see that if it were completely shaded in it would be the same shape as the logo (which makes it look like 'semi circles' because there are parts next to the engines):

[​IMG]

Compared to:
    [​IMG]

9. Reepicheep775

Jul 27, 2019
    Yep, I think you guys are right. The way that the T-65B's engines are almost on top of the wings make them look like semi-circles in silhouette. Well, my excitement for this project just went up.

10. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Seeing how fan interest drove the Snyder Cut of Justice League and how its a much more coherent experience than the original (goes to show directors more important than writers as well), some kind of Lucas Cut of the ST is a money grab Disney won't be able to deny forever - even if its GL working with F&F.

11. Reepicheep775

Jul 27, 2019
    Honestly, if they were to do a Lucas cut, they would probably have to redo the entire trilogy from the ground up. I don't think you could take the three films we have, film a few scenes and use deleted footage, and create anything like Lucas's original vision, like what they did with Justice League. There's no Darth Maul, no Whills, the characters are different, no Order 66 survivors etc. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't see it happening.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    indydefense likes this.
  12. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Correct - I should have said GL vision for the ST (not cut). Fans would accept CGI and stand-ins at this point for the true story because fan of ST or not - no one can say they feel they got what GL intended when they started.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  13. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I'm pretty sure Lucas would pass if asked about doing that.

14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Yeah, apart from the fact that he'd run screaming the other way, this is just a straight up terrible idea. Getting Lucas to come back to reedit the ST, film new scenes with stand-ins for certain actors, and digitally insert whatever he can't reshoot? That would be the most Frankestein'd hodgepodge imaginable, and wouldn't come close to resembling his original story idea. It would, at best, be a "crayon on construction paper" level depiction of it. Hard, hard pass.

15. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    The whole idea is pretty useless to begin with. The movies George Lucas would have done would probably have been very far away from the rough outline he handed over to Disney. That's what happens when you develop movies. Things change. All one needs to do is take a look at the outline for the OT and what the movies ended up like, or the making of material to any of the prequels. If you look at how the story for ROTS developed, it is pretty clear that there was no story for it until Lucas started work on it in 2002, beyond basic stuff like the Empire rises, the Jedi die, Anakin fights Obi Wan and nearly dies, the twins are born. Everything else was made up on the spot, discarded, brought back, discarded again, or completely overhauled throughout the production. Even Anakin's reason for falling to the darkside was changed in he middle of principal photography. That's what happens when you have a brilliant mind with an endless stream of new ideas all the time.

There is no such thing as a clearly developed sequel trilogy by George Lucas, nor would it be possible to create some sort of visual re-telling of said story, no matter how cheaply done. Even if he didn't have to shoot the movies in life-action, it still would take years to assemble rough visuals for three movies, as the movies themselves don't exist beyond a broad outline for the trilogy and some work on the first movie. As such, any attempt at telling the "true" story would have little to do with what the movies would have been like if Lucas had made them. At best you would get an outlook from what he considered way before actually making the first movie. This is something that would have changed drastically by the time the movie would have been done. And it would have changed even more with each following sequel. His outline for the ST is not the story he would have told, it is the basis from which he would have developed the story of the trilogy over a period of nine years.

indydefense and ewoksimon like this.
  16. Reepicheep775

Jul 27, 2019
    Ah, I get it. I have to say, I would be very much interested in Favreau and Filoni taking Lucas's treatments and adapting them to screen, perhaps in animation as a what-if scenario or even an alternate timeline. The entertainment industry has become rife with scenarios, particularly in the realm of superhero media, that don't make that idea seem as far fetched as it would have even a few years ago. What can I say? Stranger things have certainly happened.

indydefense likes this.
  17. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    The most that we can hope for is some type of publication of the ST treatments. I don’t even know how the Zack Snyder situation is even remotely related though.

indydefense likes this.
  18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Considering scripts are not treatments your probably right....not like with older versions of A New Hope where they could make a comic out of it.

19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think Filoni and Faveru will probaly be using some of GL ideas from his scripts, like underworld crime syndicates and imperial warlords, force planets and things like that.

20. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    It would help a lot if I knew what IP stands for. Acronyms without referents should be a big no-no.

"You assume too much."

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    Adalia-Durron likes this.
  21. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    In this usage, it's Intellectual Property.

2Cleva likes this.
  22. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    The sequels need to be removed from canon (or at least retconned as the alternate timeline where Ezra didn't pull Ahsoka from the portal).

They are an albatross on the entire franchise.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Shamear likes this.
  23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Yeah.......NO!

Oissan and GregMcP like this.
  24. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    You mean you don't like them. Which is something fundamentally different from them being an albatross on the entire franchise...
    Their reception wasn't as negative as the one to the prequels, and those are doing just fine nowadays.

They aren't going anywhere, none of the movies is, and that is a good thing. You don't change canon just because a bunch of people get all huffed and puffed about something they don't like. If something doesn't work at all, you move on. And if something is divisive, you don't make things any better by appeasing those who attack you for your efforts while throwing all your fans who liked your work under the bus. Only someone who is extremely entitled would ever ask for something to be removed from canon just because he didn't like it.

DarthRamRod and Sarge like this.
  25. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I'm going to be honest. People need to move beyond this. It does no one any good that people are hoping for the moon to turn to gold. Let's move on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.