main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Where does Star Wars go as an IP from here?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by 2Cleva, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Do you watch anything other than blockbusters?

TCF-1138 and PymParticles like this.
  2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    There is an absolute wealth of good-to-great films released every year that are not all about spectacle. Not all of them are in theaters for very long or at all. Not all of them are mainstream American releases. But they’re there, waiting for people complaining about the “modern” degeneracy of movies into shallow entertainment (something that’s been trotted out since the 1950s) to seek them out.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Do the Avengers appear in any of them?

:p

4. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Freaking nerds.

EHT, Pro Scoundrel , Sarge and 2 others like this.
  5. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    They also forget about all the trash that used to be released in the past which we don’t remember now. We only remember the good stuff.

I’d argue more great films are being released now than at any time in history, simply because so many are being made throughout the world now.

6. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Yeah, I completely agree with you on that, and it's actually an argument I've been making for years. Glad to see I'm not alone in thinking it!

7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    And yet, he's made one of the dumbest modern blockbusters, in recent years. I can see why people are entertained by Thor: Rag, but an art piece for intellectuals it ain't. Taika is a talented filmmaker, but he isn't immune to dumb blockbuster syndrome.

Sarge likes this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Dumb? You take that back right no…
    [​IMG]

9. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Thank you for making my point better than I ever could. [face_laugh]

TCF-1138 , EHT and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  10. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Humanity can be dumb, that's fine. What I like about Taika is that he still allows for change and growth in his characters, even if they are meat heads.

So Ragnarok still counts, even if it is a comedy -- it's a comedy that cares about people's motivations and weaknesses and pushes them into new places.

This human element is something we see in all his films, I think, no matter the genre.

This is different that the soulless spectacle that doesn't care a bit about character.

11. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    True, but it was dumb fun with a heart, and it still integrated commentary on colonialism and using revisionism to cover up an imperial powers' violent crimes, which would have personal value to Waititi as a Māori. He demonstrates a better, more nuanced balance between humor and humanity, in addition to horror, in What We Do in the Shadows, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, and Jojo Rabbit.

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Ragnarök has dumb humor, it's not a dumb film. I'd argue that it has more artistic integrity than most MCU movies put together. Waititi is an incredibly smart filmmaker just because he knows how and when to use dumb.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  13. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    Yeah, Ragnarok is really not a dumb film. It’s silly, but silly movies can still have some brains behind them.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  14. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I don't know where star wars can go from here but all this talk of oversaturation that I just read on cbr.com are not accurate. What needs to happen is star wars having new and fresh stories that are interesting. If they are the same old stuff then its dead on arrival. Good stories are very important.

15. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Darn, apparently I forgot to post my response the other day.
    Agreed.
    I'd disagree with that. I'd put it on equal footing with most, but not far ahead.
    I also agree with this.
    I don't agree that this is always the case. I think there are several misfires in Ragnarok, which is my main issue with it.

I know I'm in the minority in my feelings toward that film, but I just don't think it should be held up as something greater than a fun blockbuster. I got the analogies of Asgard as a colonial power, I just didn't think the dumb humor did the theme any favors. But, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, and I'm glad so many people enjoy it. [face_peace]

16. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    More self-contained, creator-driven stories with very distinct stylistic choices a la the Visions shorts, please.

17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ Agreed, but only do them in a way I like, and skip all the ones that I don't like, please. :p

TCF-1138 , EHT, DarthRamRod and 2 others like this.
  18. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Nah, I say go wild with them. I don't expect to love every one, and frankly, that's fine! What's not to my taste may very much be to someone else's, and vice versa. If they plan on indefinitely pumping this stuff out with no end in sight, then they're gonna need variety between installments to make it worth it otherwise, why even keep going?

TCF-1138 and PymParticles like this.
  19. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    So it does not matter to me “what kind of Star Wars movie” we get as long as we do get a good story. Like … nothing trying to shoehorn the Star Wars saga into a corset of nostalgia and modern blockbuster formula.

Right how we are back in the nineties,
    where West End Games was only allowed do books about stats for movie characters and nobody else wrote anything in Star Wars. We get prequels, midquels and spin offs to the original trilogy and how good they are is depending on how much entertainment a director can get out of a formula unable to change. Yeah, it works for super heroes, but they get more diverse storylines through the difference between the protagonists. So Star Wars really needs to take a breath and dare to be a bit more creative again.

20. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    That's one of the reasons why Visions was so incredibly refreshing to me, and why I don't think anything else on the upcoming slate (except perhaps The Acolyte, if it strays far enough from what we know in some pretty interesting ways) has me at the same level of excitement that Visions did over the past year. I still haven't even finished The Bad Batch; I was liking it well enough, but also got pretty exhausted as it kept going and kind of fell off around the mid-season finale, when it became obvious that every single episode was boiling down to "which already established character will the Bad Batch meet this week?"

Most of the other upcoming shows are just spinoffs of characters we already know and Rogue Squadron is probably going to stylistically fall right in line with the Sequel Trilogy. Hopefully Taika's project is something distinctly in his wheelhouse. But what I really want, at this point, is to see Rian Johnson go off on his tangent with his own trilogy, doing something at the level of The Last Jedi's quality that isn't tethered to the works of another filmmaker like Abrams' throwbacky, nostalgia-laden introduction.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    Darthur C. Clarke likes this.
  21. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm guessing we'll see a lot of origin movies. The first Jedi, the first Jedi Order, the first Sith, the first intergalactic travel era, the first Republic, the introduction of droids, laser blasters, lightsabers, ice cream makers, etc...

Can't wait to see the explanation for why most of the Jedi wear brown and tan all the time!

Glitterstimm likes this.
  22. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I don’t need a bunch of origin tales, that sounds pretty boring to me

we don’t need an origin tale about the first Jedi to appreciate the excellence of the Luke Skywalker story told during the OT

just tell good well thought out stories, with interesting characters, and if they do that they can tell them in which ever part of the timeline as they want, distant past, the far future, whatever, it’s practically unlimited

23. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Totally agree. I’m going to be bummed if the new films are all origin stories.

24. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Jawa and Tusken envy.

This...
    [​IMG]

is not...
    [​IMG]

an accident.

[​IMG]

Sarge and The Regular Mustache like this.
  25. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Before the PT I always assumed Kenobi dressed like that to pass as a Tusken Raider from afar.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.