main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Where does Star Wars go as an IP from here?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by 2Cleva, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Most YouTube accounts focused on SW are crap, as are many so-called "source" sites like wegotthiscovered.

2. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I don't know who that person is so I'm not giving any credibility or rejection of that rumor.

But in theory, if you're Disney and you want to clean up the image of the IP (I think everyone can agree its taken some damage) you have to put all ideas on the table. Bringing George Lucas back to the fold has to be one that is considered. I find it unlikely and I think Eisner tipped the hand more with Favreau being in charge but being that Favreau appears to be close, or at least reverential, with Lucas (him on set of the Mandalorian for example) I could see a scenario where GL is back in some sort of official capacity.

One thing that has been clear - post-TLJ and pre-TROS - LFL has constantly talked about GL's involvement, even if it later turned out to be overstated. Its clear they do place a value of having his blessing on their projects now - something they didn't feel with TFA and pre-TLJ.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  3. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Let me clear up why the thread was locked: it's not the fact that it's not worth it's own thread, it's the fact that this is the low-stakes, entertainment news equivalent of bonafide "fake news." There's nothing to discuss because it's not even a well-sourced rumor, it's people literally pulling **** out of their *** for the sake of clicks and views. By discussing it, we're lending it validity, and thereby propping up that heinous cycle of "Eat this it's chocolate!" "No, this is poop." "Eat this, it's chocolate!" "No, this is still poop."

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I could see George as a consultant. But he sold it so he won't have creative control, if thats what the rumor says. and wegotthiscovered is pure garbage worse then poop.

5. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    It's probably for the best you ignored it, because I wasn't talking about you. I don't know where you got that 2021 was common knowledge. Everyone around these parts was super excited we will have both Kenobi and the Mandalorian in the fall. And when I say everyone, I mean most people. Not literally everyone.

ami-padme and 2Cleva like this.
  6. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    So anyone else thinking that some of CT's script could be retooled for any of the upcoming movies?

I feel like after seeing the storyboards it would be a shame for LFL to let that go to waste.

7. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    If they open that box they would have to consider going all the way back - whether JJ's outline or GL's.

I would personally like to see a Force event in The Mandalorian that resets everything before the ST to a blank slate but that's unlikely.

8. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    On a related note I might almost be on board with it being revealed that the Mandalorian takes place in a parallel universe where the ST didn't happen. In the Madarloian universe Palpatine really did die and didn't come back and the DS II really did blow up into teeny tiny pieces as we all witnessed in ROTJ.

Mando finds Luke and Luke helps watch over Baby Yoda and trains him along with other Force sensitive people. Han and Leia never split up. Leia eventually dies of natural causes. Ben Solo, while possible wrangling with the light and dark side doesn't become a mass murderer. Rey isn't a Palpatine. The New Republic isn't blown to smithereens.

9. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    The entirety of the ST is actually Sith Purgatory. Palpatine died blowing up in the reactor and his 'body/soul' is sent to Sith Purgatory on Exogol. Only, it's not just the planet but the entire galaxy which is just a weird carbon copy galactic wish fulfillment of his desires where he continues on with his 'plan'. lol

10. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Ha! I was originally going to write something similar! The power of the dark side + Death Star explosion = creation of dark side alternate universe. I would find that more logical than what we got. That would explain why our heroes from the OT had their successes taken away from them, and why they were killed off, and why Luke considered killing his nephew and gave up on everything, and why the last Skywalker was a mass murderer, and why Palpatine lives and had a family which led to Palpatine's granddaughter wanting to get it on with a mass murderer. All of this sounds like it takes place in a dark side alternate universe!

DarkGingerJedi and 2Cleva like this.
  11. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Bringing Lucas back in some capacity makes perfect sense. You just need him working with people like Filoni and Favreau to translate his ideas well.

Kennedy says the challenge with SW is no source material. Well, Lucas is the source.

It would be like having Tolkien around and ignoring him while you make new hobbit films, or ignoring George Martin when developing new GoT.

2Cleva likes this.
  12. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Well. Lucas doesn't seem to have gone into exile or something. He was on set with Solo. And he just visited Baby Yoda on season 2 of Mando last week. I bet he tells them his opinion when asked.

2Cleva and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I had no expectations whatsoever for the filming or premier dates of the Obi-Wan show, as no such dates were previewed. Based on Kennedy's comments, I just assumed that it would likely start filming at the end of 2020 (so it's about a month later than I expected, which is hardly a catastrophe). And did anyone actually think that the show would premier THIS fall? If so, that was based on absolutely nothing, and so not Lucasfilm's fault. The Cassian show, however, which was announced much earlier, I expected to start filming earlier. And it looks like that's still the case, unless there's another change.
    Peter Jackson had Christopher Tolkien around, an author of many a Middle Earth book himself (and obviously intimately familiar with his father's works, as executor of his estate) and yeah, PJ ignored him. I think that was a mistake, personally, but this kind of thing is pretty common.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The problem is that too many people want to believe that poop is chocolate.

15. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Dogs too. Chomp chomp chomp.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That's why dogs are man's best friend. We both want poop to be chocolate.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  17. stargeek123

stargeek123 Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2020
    I doubt Bob Iger would ever admit this but there is no financial reason/incentive to make future SW movies. The reason is Disney bought 20th Century Fox which has the rights to Avatar. Avatar 2 and 3 are likely to make billions for Disney. Disney reaps in the profits and keeps SW on hold in the hope they come up with a major new trilogy for release in 2029.

Avatar 2, 3, 4 and 5 (!) are gonna be the go-to sci-fi movies of this decade - not future SW movies. My gut feeling is Iger knows this so he's prepared to delay future SW movies until the release of Avatar 5 (assuming that gets made!). Meanwhile there will be new SW tv shows and games. Imagine a great new SW game for the Playstation 5 with graphics so realistic you'll think you are a Jedi on a real planet. 5g connection, 8k resolution and hyper surround sound! ;)

Avatar is coming back and you can bet James Cameron is going to try and up the sci-fi stakes. It makes sense for any new SW trilogy not to be in direct competition with Avatar. If Avatar 2 - 5 get made it could mean SW episode X is released 2029. Avatar 5 is scheduled for winter 2027.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  18. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    ...I might actually use this as a quote in my sig. …May I?

Bor Mullet likes this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Of course. It is the truth and does not belong to me.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  20. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Well I don't think that anyone should have been particularly confident that would have been the release window. The filming for TM starting in October 2018 for a fall 2019 release. Filming was set to begin this year according to the announcement. It often takes over a year from the start of principal photography to the premiere. So, yeah, it was always ambiguous whether it would premiere this fall. Not to mention, even before this delay filming was set for August.

[face_peace]

21. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    And with that, we're going to move on from the Kenobi discussion.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  22. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Move over, "whoever smelt it dealt it", here comes "whoever made it ate it."

The Chalk Jedi and Bor Mullet like this.
  23. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I'm actually more worried about where Finn and Poe Dameron could go from here in whatever films they'll appear in. Rey will rebuild the Jedi Order and Finn/Poe will probably still be support characters. It sucks because I liked the support characters more of the ST than Rey but that's neither here nor there.

I think they really need to do their support characters justice or at least experiment with multi-main character arcs because at times the ST "felt" like it was just The Adventures of Rey Palpatine Skywalker...

24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think most would agree that these characters, in their live action forms, should be retired for at least 20 years or so before potentially being brought back.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  25. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    You can say that again. And as somebody who has completely soured on Rey I'd rather that the movies set after TROS take place years after the Jedi have returned to form. At this point I don't want to see a movie about Rey training new Jedi. Nothing would be more frustrating than having to slog through another Force sensitive newbie trying to figure out their powers and only for the movie/trilogy to be over once they figured them out. Just cut to the chase and give us a new character or two that's a fully trained Jedi.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Bor Mullet, DARTH_BELO and 2Cleva like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.