main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where Have They Gone?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by -RebelScum-, May 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    Is it just me or have the all the readers dropped out of the forum?

2. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    Sure looks like it, doesn't it?

3. Nyiestra

Nyiestra Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2004
    Finals month... everyone in college is loaded down with work...

4. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    A lot of people are frustrated by certain things have been going on in some of the threads. You can check ou the Obi-Wan character thread, the Anakin thread, and the 'Ships thread to see for yourself. I think that has a lot to do with why conversation seems to have dried up lately. It's not as fun to be here anymore. Some of us are changing our icons and sigs to express our displeasure with the recent course of things.

I find it incredibly sad.

5. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Like Nyiestra said, everyone is busy with school work. I know that most Colleges are on summer break shortly after this and in school (ie High School) most things are settling down as well. Just be patient.

6. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    I've been kidnapping them. I keep them in my cellar and yell things like "It puts the lotion on the skin!"

We're having a great time :)

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I've been getting more and more upset with what is going on with the boards. DRL hasn't helped but it is becoming increasingly difficult to remain upbeat here and, frankly, there are other boards to visit that are less... restrictive in terms of socialization.

8. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    "It puts the lotion on the skin!"

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] *****!!!

Diane: I quite agree.

I think not only has DRL gotten in the way, but many people have been frustrated and stopped coming here. It's hard to like a place where you are being watched every second and going to be pounced on the first second you toe the line.

But, yes, school has always gotten in the way majorly. But as the "I-don't-care-anymore" attitude has hit me, you can expect to see me more. ;)

9. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Where Have They Gone?

Into Hershey's Cookies & Cream!

:p

10. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    But as the "I-don't-care-anymore" attitude has hit me, you can expect to see me more.

Heh, but I know what you mean.

And it's kind of sad to see all these people getting fed up by the state of the boards, though I do not blame them at all. I thought the Focus Group /Survey was supposed to help, but it seems like it has in reality had the opposite effect...

11. Jedikma

Jedikma Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    I've also been upset with what is going on here on the boards. The fun is gone and it's been hard for me to be interested in doing much reading. :(

12. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    I asked questions until I was blue in the face, unable to exist without benefit of oxygen and answers, then turned into a LittleBlueTwilek. And we all know Twileks can't write, they can only dance, clean Dugs' nails or be eaten by rancors.

Seriously I feel I'm channeling Alema. It's all good. :) [face_devil] [face_mischief] But my alterego took all her fans with her, off boards where it's still fun to be a Star Wars fan and it's okay to be excited that the movie is coming in 11 days. (11 days - holy fraggin frag!) That's where me and my pals have gone, to Tatooine and Dagobah I suppose.

13. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    I defected to the Harry Potter side and took people with me.... :p

Seriously, though, what everyone else said. I'm kind of upset.

14. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    I defected to the Harry Potter side and took people with me....

Heh, I sort of did the opposite...

But yeah, so many people are unhappy now. Hopefully it will get better and people will come back.

15. Viola_Telcontar

Viola_Telcontar Jedi Master star 1

Nov 14, 2004
    Is it just me or have the all the readers dropped out of the forum?

Ah, well... war casulties... you know, there?s always some... healthy dwindling.

I?m normally not active in the more social threads, so it was rather surprising for me when I stumbled across the first thread that was... let?s stick to the truth... a personal attack against one of the mods (that?s why I freak out a bit when I see all the Rebel icons, I associate it with flaming even though it was only one person who did it... Don?t worry, now I?m used to it... the icons, not flaming).

And now things are getting so much out of hand that even I feel uncomfortable around here.

Well, my plan was to take a break from this board around RotS anyway, so it won?t kill me to start early (even if I would prefer not to), but honestly...

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?

All I know is that this mess started in the ?Ships threat where people had the feeling the mods abused their powers. I don?t know who was right, who was wrong, if edits and bans were just or not, and to be honest, I don?t care very much, because I thought the situation had calmed down. People were saying sorry to each other, tempers cooling down, and then...

Whack! All comes back...

It was definitely not the smartest idea to pull out a ?Please stay on topic? order in the current situation (just to be fair, I thought Herman?s tone was very friendly, but it was really, really bad timing), but seeing the approaching crowds of newbies appearing on the horizon (or is it just me who sees useless new threads spreading everywhere?) I can at least understand that the mods are a little jumpy (though I think the interference was unnecessary at that time).

People were still on edge and I?m not surprised that many reacted harsh and felt provoked. I?m not exactly happy about the tone of some replies, but I agree with many things that were said.
    I just want to ask people to cool down a bit and not let this end in the inferno of a flame war.

To sum everything up:

We are in desperate need of a serious and calm discussion.
    Mods, where are you? What?s your position in this?

And to repeat Alethia:

I thought the Focus Group /Survey was supposed to help, but it seems like it has in reality had the opposite effect...

Again, what happened?

I think I will stop here. I?m not used to speak up on such occasions and much prefer to be neutral, but - come on - this boards are normally a very friendly place and it would make me sad if that changes.

edit for writing threats instead of threads... hehe

16. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    But my alterego took all her fans with her, off boards where it's still fun to be a Star Wars fan and it's okay to be excited that the movie is coming in 11 days.

As have the Obi threaders. ;) And the current state of things goes backa lot further than the recent mess on the Ships thread.

17. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    LOL. Hooray for the Potter kids! :)

Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hoggy Warty Hogwarts... *sings*

Someone explain the rebel icons, please?

18. Phoenix_Reborn

Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2003
    I'd say most of us left for a fun place. I'd also say finals are to blame, but most the college kids I know who post here are here more during finals for a stress release.

Oh, this mess started waaayy before The shippers thread.

19. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    Emilie:

Re: Icons: maychlorianwrote:

A lot of people are frustrated by certain things have been going on in some of the threads. You can check ou the Obi-Wan character thread, the Anakin thread, and the 'Ships thread to see for yourself. I think that has a lot to do with why conversation seems to have dried up lately. It's not as fun to be here anymore. Some of us are changing our icons and sigs to express our displeasure with the recent course of things.

20. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    If you like, I can explain the icons in a PM.

And yes, some people have chosen to personally attack the mods, which may not be fair in some situations but it does grant some warrant.

Some mods have abused their powers and have been rude about it. That in no way means all mods are evil, as they are not. But a few of them should look back at what has happened and think about the situation before jumping in and saying "My way is the right way." After all, even the experts make mistakes. We are only human.

Viola_Telcontar, I get the feeling that you have not really read the threads in which the problems have occurred. Please do so, because after you do it will all make sense.

If anyone has taken offense to this I deeply apologize. I realize that we are only human and humans make mistakes. I am just voicing an opinion in what I hope is an unoffensive manner.

21. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    I'm game for the PM.

Some of the mods are my friends, like LadyPadme. And I really support Leona. But yeah, some of the others have overstepped bounds a time or two.

22. Opal

Opal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    Many have gone elsewhere as the fun has been being sucked out of this place slowly, but surely for some time now.

The focus group seemed like a very good idea at the time, and I'm sure that many of those in it have tried their best to make something come of it, but it doesn't seem to be working. As someone who is left in the dark, I'm beginning to wonder what's actually being discussed and when we can expect something from it.

23. Viola_Telcontar

Viola_Telcontar Jedi Master star 1

Nov 14, 2004
    I get the feeling that you have not really read the threads in which the problems have occurred.

You are right, VadersMistress, I have only scanned through those threads and I have seen things that I don't like from the mods. I'm just trying to deescalate things here.

Ranting doesn't help to solve the problem, but I will now step back and let others have their go, this place is entirely too hot for me.

24. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    As someone who is left in the dark, I'm beginning to wonder what's actually being discussed and when we can expect something from it.

I know what you mean...

I understand that modding is very hard- I did it myself for over a year once and therefore I can also understand how trying it is to be a mod. But with the Anakin and Obi-Wan threads... yeah. Not much to say to those that hasn't already been said. And I wish we didn't have to lose people over such instances, though I certainly don't blame them for leaving.

25. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Believe me, if we rant and rave, it's because there needs to be ranting and raving. A mod who does not earn the respect of a user by being respectful in return is ineffectual, and needs to be removed. We're losing a lot more people over the attitudes and actions of a few than we would if we just removed the ineffectual few.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.