main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where is your favourite place in the South?

Discussion in 'Archive: South' started by major_phennir, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. major_phennir

major_phennir Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2006
    My favourite place is Portsdown Hill, Portsmouth. Why? Because it has simply the best view I can imagine of my home city, the Solent, Isle of Wight and on a fine clear day, Hayling Island and out towards Selsey and Chichester and the other way to Portchester, Fareham and Southampton Water. Its particularly impressive on a clear night, with all the lights of the city twinkling like stars into the distance.

Where's your favourite place?

2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    My flat. :)

I has my bed, my internets, my food and my bathroom. What more could a girl want?

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Cornwall
    I just love it.

It is very Arthurian and has great castles (especially Tintagel), beaches, towns, a nice Island called Lundi, various fun animal parks...

Also has Cornish pasties!

:p

4. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Second that richie.

My favourite place...ever, is cornwall, polruan especially. My dads side of the family comes from there and I always feel at home there. Such a small village, but my god what a village. Its across the water from fowey. Big sailing boats and sometimes even tall ships moor there. Great fishing spots, great locals. The food is the best around. At night you can see literally millions of stars and the milky way very clearly.

All in all, the best place i've ever been

5. marte

marte Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    I have to say Dartmoor... I love the surroundings of Plymouth (obviously), the landscape is breathtaking, the sea is right there, there are Pasties, Cornwall is across the river (I can see it from my window :p) and Dartmoor is wonderful - so mysterious and old and just beautiful.

6. major_phennir

Aug 1, 2006
    Yummy [face_love]

I do love the West Country too, spent some very nice holidays down that way. A couple of years ago I got the bus, which runs across Dartmoor between Plymouth and Exter. That was quite a trip, disappearing into the thick fog on deserted roads. Wonderful :)

7. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Dorset for me. Mainly because it's home to Monkey World but also because I think it's a beautiful part of the country and would like to retire there. I went on holiday there last year and plan to go again next year (pre or post CE, haven't decided yet) :D

[face_moneky]

8. major_phennir

Aug 1, 2006
    You like monkeys then Lord-Tice?? Well, I suppose someones got to ;)

9. X-Wing-Ace

X-Wing-Ace Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2006
    Bournemouth and the New Forest.

10. major_phennir

Aug 1, 2006
    Hello X-Wing Ace, welcome to the South boards :)

The New Forest is very nice. I used to spend lots of time down there during the summers when I lived in Pompey.

11. X-Wing-Ace

Jun 12, 2006
    Thanks for the kind welcome. I went to Bournemouth a lot when I was younger and had to travel through the New Forest with my father on our trips up to London every summer when I was a kid.

12. major_phennir

Aug 1, 2006
    Whereabouts do you live now?

I moved from Portsmouth to Milton Keynes just over 5 years ago and I still miss the south coast desperately :( I do try to travel back as often as possible and hopefully if this proposed meet in Portsmouth goes ahead, it will be another excuse to do so!

13. X-Wing-Ace

Jun 12, 2006
    I used to live in Fareham until Feb 2002 (lived there for 3 years), but now I live in West Dorset.

14. major_phennir

Aug 1, 2006
    It's a small world - I used to work in Fareham!

15. X-Wing-Ace

Jun 12, 2006
    I miss Hampshire and hope to be moving back there in the future. Can't stand anything west of Poole.

16. major_phennir

Aug 1, 2006
    I think Dorset is a lovely county personally. One of my favourite places down that way is Swanage on the Isle of Purbeck. A great place to be in the summer :)

Btw, are you interested in the meet we're planning in Portsmouth? There is a thread elsewhere on the board.

17. X-Wing-Ace

Jun 12, 2006
    Sorry, too far, especially at this time of year.

18. LadyPoison

LadyPoison Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2006
    Hmmm my fav place has gotta be Glastonbury! Lovely little town full of spiritualness, lotsa history, nice and peaceful and relaxing :)

19. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Fistral Beach, and just Newquay in general. I love that place! If I ever come to a meeting in the South, I'd want it at Newquay.

20. khabarakh23

khabarakh23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2005
    Cambridge: it's where the missus is. Plus it's very nice. Very relaxed and relatively chav free

21. CARBONITEKID

CARBONITEKID Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 7, 2005
    Anywhere but the Isle of Wight.

22. major_phennir

Aug 1, 2006
    Hello Carbonitekid, welcome to the boards :) Why do you dislike the Isle of Wight so much? Although I guess if you're young there isn't a lot to do there and of course have to suffer the annual invasion of tourists, which I presume is not much fun, lol.

23. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    what kind of a thread is this???
    oh,okay... my wife loves the new forest and we've been holidaying there for several years now.
    we gave it a miss this year and stayed in some crappy place called brakes coppice near hastings.
    it's back to the new forest next year,for certain.
    keyhaven,there's a lovely place.

24. CARBONITEKID

CARBONITEKID Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 7, 2005
    Hi mate thanks for the welcome. Been on here before , just not in a looooong while.

Why do I dislike the Isle of Wight ? Because I live there. You will never find a more stuffy, backward thinking , stuck in the 1950's place than this pile of ****e. And if that was not bad enough it costs an arm and a leg to get anywhere on it or to get off it.

Its like the supporting cast of deliverance meets Waynetta Slob and family down here for much of the populace. The rest are over 65 and NIBYS one and all.

There are people here who have never left there home village for Newport (the capital town) , a distance of never more than 20 miles!!!!

25. major_phennir

Aug 1, 2006
    LOL! [face_laugh]

We used to have our family holidays on the Isle of Wight until I was about 13 or 14 and I loved it. A lot of my family live over there still although it is too infrequently that I get the opportunity to go back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.