main
side
curve

Where to buy food, munchies

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Grand_Admiral_J-tal, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand_Admiral_J-tal

Grand_Admiral_J-tal Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 2005
    I'm staying downtown at the Sheraton. I'm looking for someplace within walking distance where I could stock up on chips, munchies, snack food, pepsi, etc.

Anyone have any info any places downtown where I could get this stuff? Any nearby convenience stores, etc.?

I've checked out all the maps and tourist stuff on LA they sell at Border's and etc. Can't find any good maps with places like this; all I find are maps with places of business and retail shopping.

Any local LA people with knowledge of the area who can help?

2. AmmersVI

AmmersVI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2005
    my reccomendation would be to stock up on munchies before you go. Fill up your suitcase. And as you finish off your munchies you will have empty space in your bag to take home any convention goodies that you might happen to pick up.

3. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I will be going downtown in the next couple of weeks and will post updated information on restaurants and places to get snacks. The Sheraton is next to the 7th & Figueroa shopping mall, which has a food court, for instance.

4. Amidala081499

Amidala081499 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2003
    VAL YOU ARE AWESOME...THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK!!!!

5. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I already went to Costco and stocked up! I called the hotel and found out we have a fridge in the room and have two convenience stores across the street. But the restaurant help would be great, Val!

6. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Are there any drugstores in the downtown area? You never know when you might need a band-aid for a blister or whatever. :)

And NO WAY am I bringing any munchies with me. The airlines count EVERY OUNCE of your luggage and I'm not displacing any costumes to bring anything that I can just buy and consume there.

For anyone coming from out of state......DON'T BRING FRUIT. Or any produce actually. California is hyper about that sort of thing. I remember the 'Give Us Your Fruit' containers the last time I was at LAX. It was the promised $25,000 fine that caught my eye. I gave them my apples. Unless something has seriously changed since then, I would expect the same.

7. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    Google Map the zip code of the hotel along with "Grocery Store, CA <5 digit Zip>"

It should then give you a map of the area and show you where all the nearest places are.

8. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    This is a Rite Aid on the corner of 7th and Hope Streets downtown. Open every day except Sunday.

9. Grand_Admiral_J-tal

Grand_Admiral_J-tal Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 2005
    thanks for all the tips!

10. jedifrances74

jedifrances74 Jedi Youngling

Feb 6, 2006
    I'm gonna bring some snacks from home. Also, that GoogleEarth site is a good one to find out what restaraunts and grocery stores and such are nearby your hotel or the convention center.

11. resnictem

resnictem Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 3, 1999
    In the same vein, what are some good tasting, nutrious bars to eat? I don't usually shop for bars, so I'd like to know what to get. Preferably something with no or low sugar.

12. Sean_Walsh

Sean_Walsh Jedi Master star 1

Jan 2, 2002
    I'm staying at the Sheraton..............this is very good to know. :D

13. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I've found the Luna protein bars decent. 180 calories, 10 g protein, 3 g fiber. But the only way to know for sure what you would like is to have one for lunch someday and try them out. I have only seen them at health food stores.

BTW, are there any health food stores in downtown LA?

14. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Not that I know of or can locate. Quite a number in outlaying areas, but nothing downtown.

15. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    OK, not health food per se, but I forgot about the downtown Farmers Market:

Wednesdays from 11:30 AM to 3:00 PM. Located at 650 West Fifth Street, between Grand Avenue and Flower Street, in the heart of the Financial District.

A place to stock up on fresh fruit and vegetables and the like; also, cheap eats for Wednesday lunch.

16. LukeSkiewalker

LukeSkiewalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2003
    Beleive it or not most Slim-Fast bars are good, and a lot of Powerbars are good if you can get past the fact that they are the consistancy of tootsie rolls, while I have never had them, like someone above my wife also likes Luna bars.

17. HardwareStoreJedi

HardwareStoreJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2006
    Little Tokyo is fairly close by, and this means J-SNACKS!!!

Marukai is in the shopping center behind the New Otani Hotel. Nijiya (sort of a Japanese equivalent of Trader Joe's) is in the Japanese Village Center. And Mitsuwa is at the Little Tokyo Shopping Center at 3rd and Alameda.

I like Marukai for the price, Nijiya for the quality, and Mitsuwa for the selection. There are also some inexpensive and good restaurants in the area.

Hope this helps...

18. jay727

jay727 Jedi Youngling

Jul 26, 2006
    "OK, not health food per se, but I forgot about the downtown Farmers Market:
    Wednesdays from 11:30 AM to 3:00 PM. Located at 650 West Fifth Street, between Grand Avenue and Flower Street, in the heart of the Financial District.
    A place to stock up on fresh fruit and vegetables and the like; also, cheap eats for Wednesday lunch."

Yup a great place to go eat but this place wil blow you away for all you "out-of-towner" a great place to eat and see some sights or go to the Price is right! next door

19. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2005
    am I alone in planning on NOT eating any of my meals in restaurants, I am planning on brown bagging ALL of my meals in some way or another. I am driving in from Arizona, so I am packing food that I buy at the grocery store that can be easily made into easy to carry lunches and such as that to save on money.. I want more money to spend at CIV and my idea of enjoyment is to spend money on memorabilia, not overpriced food. I figure I can eat most of my meals in the lobby of the covention center and in my hotel room/hotel lobby whereever.

Another question I have, someone mentioned the fruit issue in CA.. anyone have a link for the site that gives the restrictions on what you can and can not bring into CA as far as fruit goes, I am wondering about dried fruit specifically?

20. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    [link=http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/pe/summary.htm]California Fruit Restrictions[/link]

Dried Fruit is OK. Leave that corn on the cob home, though :).

21. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2005
    will do [face_laugh]

how did you know I was originally from Arkansas? ;)

22. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Update to this: There is a new Rite Aid that just opened at Fifth and Broadway, a few blocks down the street from most block hotels. It's open Monday through Saturday from 8 AM to 8 PM.

23. ArtyEwok

ArtyEwok LFL Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 18, 1999
    Hot diggety damn.

I might have to make my way there and get myself some fruit.

24. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Cara_Undercover_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2006
    I found a Ralphs a mile and half from the center.

But me, I want to bring almost all my food. I've already got something something planned for a quickie breakfast, too; granola, fruit, and (if there's a fridge availible) yogurt. Quick, balanced, and cheap!

25. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Think you're talking about the Ralph's at 2600 South Vermont Avenue. It's where all the USC students shop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.