main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Where's the love for Count Dooku?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ObiAlKenobi, Dec 31, 2012.

1. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    It's his interpretation of Jedi philosophy as a Sith. Discarding Jedi philosophy is what Exar Kun did.

2. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Request to merge with my previous post:

Dooku believed that the Jedi should not submit to the Senate. He believed they should become the dominate power in the galaxy, that they should choose to intervene whenever they so desired, etc. He was, indeed, the political idealist that the Jedi Council members described him to be in Palpatine's office. He just had a very different, radical view of how the galaxy should be governed.

3. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Great description. He is an extremist and, like many such people who are able to draw people to their cause, quite an endearing, seemingly amiable person. Even at full evil, he has that elegance and effortless style that only an actor of Lee's ability can pull off.

Lucas did a great job with Dooku. The way he arrogantly thinks he's a faultless master but then, at the end, realises he's been played by Sidious just like everyone else is very well done. It's a shame he's only in the saga in person for such a short time. Fortunately the brilliant ROTS novel fleshes him out a little further.

I'd love to see a Dooku and Qui Gon film/tv series/animation/book series.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, he doesn't follow the Jedi philosophy, nor does he interpret it differently. He discarded it for power. You can't take Jedi philosophy to an "authoritarian extreme" by different interpretation. Jedi philosophy is not about authoritarianism.

5. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Again, I respectfully disagree. I am looking at this from an EU-perspective. I agree with some people in videos online who have discussed this. (Jensaarai, for example, even though I agree more with Evan, Callan, Matt, and Antoine.) I think there are some morally ambiguous Jedi. He is basically an idealist who takes Jedi philosophy and applies it with a Sith-tinge. It's like he's the cheerleader of the Sith. And, yes, some Jedi are authoritarian. Many are good, but some are not. Some are just really self-righteous and harmful. Just because one uses the so-called light side doesn't mean that they will always do good things. Bear in mind that some the greatest Jedi heroes still killed a lot of people. They may have saved many kids and civilians, sure, but they still killed many people, even if they were bad people. Doesn't sound very pacifist to me.

Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee tried to portray their characters as men who had changed, who still felt they were doing the right thing, but we know they were not. If you look at the EU, Tarkin and Dooku/Tyranus actually lost a lot before they gave up and became ultra-dark in old age. Lack of love made them dark, and their violence was inexcusable.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  6. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I don't think the Jedi have ever made any claim to absolute pacifism. The warrior spirit is an essential component of the Jedi ethos. But they've sworn to only use violence in a defensive posture.

7. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Best One handed fighter :p

8. Zef

Zef Jedi Knight

Oct 26, 2015
    We were so lucky to see Cristopher Lee as the Count...
    Miss him.

9. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Dooku was recently announced as a playable character in Battlefront 2. I was holding out for more PT era content and BF2 is finally getting more. It's great for PT fans, Clone Wars fans & fans of Chris Lee.

10. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    I am so happy Dooku is getting some love from Battlefront.

PymParticles and heels1785 like this.
  11. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    As I told my brother which characters were being added to Battlefront II, he nodded trough “Anakin Skywalker, and Obi-Wan Kenobi, and General Grievous,” but then at “...and Count Dooku,” he freaked out.

It’s hard not to love the good Count.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s sorta sad though everyone clapped for Anakin and Obi Wan And Grievous, but no one clapped for Dooku.

BadCane likes this.
  13. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    Imma force lightning the hell outta clone scum

whostheBossk likes this.