main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Which character do you 'avoid' writing even though they would 'belong'?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by DarthBreezy, May 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Force Ghost star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    It's an interesting thought...

I'll use myself as an example...

I write Prequal Anakin/Padme pieces... I've finally convinced myself to expand Obi-Wan's role in my works but until recently I've tried to 'side step' him. Ditto Palpatine... I KNOW I can write a passible Palpy, I just prefer to avoid him... he gives me the willies... But I've managed to almost compleatly avoid writing "Jar Jar" and it occured to me to ask if other people find themselves doing that?

Do you have difficulty writing the character? (I would... Jar Jar's speech would send MS Word into a bigger frenzey than it already does!) Do you just 'dislike the character? (I have nothing against JJ other than the fact that he was over marketed in E-1.) Do you have difficulty getting into his/her head? (My issue with Obi-Wan... I'm too much like Anakin hense the reason I want to try to tackle him for the next story.)

Curious....

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Interesting question, DarthBreezy - I write mostly JA and Saga stories. But I avoid writing Yoda, mainly because I dislike the troll immensely. I can do Yodaspeak - I just don't want to write him. Unfortunately, in my fics, people keep asking where is Yoda? Bah...gone into the Force for all I care.

As for writing difficulty, Luke is a hard one for me, mainly because I like him so much. Haven't had the courage to tackle such a nice guy.

3. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    In the Prequel era, it definitely is Sidious. I know I can write him very well because I've written a couple of 'fics (not posted here) that have him as the POV-character and I was fairly satisfied with them, but for some reason, I simply can NOT include him in my Obi-centric stories. I don't know why.

As far as the OT and beyond stories go - well, I will NEVER, EVER, EVER include Obi-Wan in them even if he would do well in there because I simply can NOT write 'fics that include Obi-Wan without him being the main hero. ;) A Luke-centric 'fic somehow turns out to revolve around Obi-Wan and abandoning the story and locking the thread is usually instanteous. 8-}

EDIT: Actually, I find the OT and beyond characters somewhat hard to write. For some reason, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, even Garen and Luminara come much more naturally to me than Luke, Leia, Han, Jacen, Jaina and company. This is somewhat strange because I'm most familiar with their characters - namely, most of the (published) SW fiction that I read is about them. Of Luke, Leia, and Han, I would say I find Han the most difficult to write. His dialogue easy enough, but his character is incredibly complex and since he's dear to my heart, I simply can't write him any less perfect than exactly what I would want to see if I were reading a 'fic about him. Of the three, Luke is the easiest to write. There's also the infamous Darth Vader, who I find to be a fascinating character, but equally difficult to write at times - mainly his dialogue, that is. Strangely enough, I find Mara the easiest of all the OT and beyond characters. [face_shocked]

Aunecah

4. Mistryl

Mistryl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2003
    hm, what character do I not dare write? Hm, I think it's sidious, wait a minute, I've written him. Darth Maul, I've avoided writing him at all costs. I've written most other characters.

5. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

I'm a huge H/L'er but I can't figure out what to do with Chewbacca, so in my fics he gets relegated to the background a lot. The droids get more air time than Chewie...poor Wookiee.

6. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    I avoid writing the droids. I'm not sure why though--I just have a hard time with them. 3PO annoys the living crap out of me, and with R2, it's hard to write an intelligent conversation made out of "beep beep beep". So, so far, my Anakin AU doesn't have the droids in it. I'd like to relegate them in somehow, but I haven't figured it out yet.

7. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I avoid Mara Jade as much as I can. I don't agree with the character on many levels and have never seen her played out correctly in anything I've read of her. She was Zahn's Character and should have stayed that way.

8. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2002
    Dianethx

You think Yoda's a troll :eek: :eek:

Sheesh- I thought everyone loved Yoda :(

Who do I avoid writing? I write EU era - so actually it would be the Droids, the wookiees (Chewbacca and Lowbacca) and Mara Jade.

The droids I avoided for a while because I wasn't sure how to write them. I actually finally gave them some real playtime later in my large story and I just loved how they came out. Personally, I love 3PO- he's annoying, he's a crybaby, a drama-Queen, he's the one character you can have who can freak completely out while everyone else has to remain cool and collected :p I don't write them- because- well, I tend to forget about them.

The wookiees are hard to write- I'm going to try to work Lowie in as a pretty main character in my new story because I see it as a challenge to myself to successfully write a wookiee.

Finally Mara. I hate Timothy Zahn- and I guess I don't really like Mara all that much because she's his baby. All I know about her is that she's ballsy and I have a hard time writing her in any other way. I'm trying to get over my annoyance with her- but it's not easy.

9. Princess1

Princess1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001

I never ever write Jar Jar. In all my prequel fics I pretend he doesn't exist, he annoys the heck out of me. And I never write Darth Maul, he's really a visual character, and I just can't seem to transfer that to my writing. Darth Vader and Palpy are difficult to write, but I love doing it so I do it anyway, they just make me work hard. :p

In my OT fics I sort of avoid the droids, I've only written one fic with them, because even though there really funny, "beep beep" doesn't really make a converstation. Plus my fics tend to be really dramatic and angsty, (which I love) and the droids don't really add to that.

I don't write Chewie very much either, same as with Maul. But I love Chewie.

I love writing Han and Leia, Han is the character I love to write most, he's so complex, even though his dialogue is simple, I can never spend to much time getting into his head.

In the EU I write most anybody, except I've never written Jag because I plain and simply can't stand him, and if DID write him, I wouldn't be very nice to him. :p

10. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Tenel Ka.

By now, most everybody should realise that I can't stand to think about her. In my fics, she's known by Jacen and my OC simply as the "Non-Existent She-Jedi." Has no place in my stuff, unless she and Jacen have a long, arduous discussion about matters of a Jedi's heart.

11. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2002
    I found a solution to the Gungans when Naboo was rediscovered during the EU era- I said the entire race was killed battling the Empire :p No Gungan babble for me to write [face_mischief]

12. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    Thtreepio. He's sooo annoying. I'm writing the journey to Bespin at the minute. Leia never turns him on again till they get there. I love artoo to bits though. I can write 3PO if he's there.

13. rogue11lovesjag

rogue11lovesjag Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    Any type of Wookies. I either completely forget them, or send them off on some sort of mission. Even though they could be enormously helpful, I usually try to avoid writing them, because they always seem to just sort of be hanging around and not doing anything when I try to write them.

~Rogue

14. Coota

Coota Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2002
    As to how to write Chewie, people need to remember that you don't *have* to do the whole "Lassie" thing, with people going "Did Luke fall down the well, Chewie?" "Growl, growl, bark" "That's certainly not a nice thing to say about my mother!"

Ok, overexaggeration, but you get the picture. Instead, I personally just translate Chewbacca's language whenever I'm writing from the viewpoint of a character who understands Wookiee, or am writing from Chewbacca's viewpoint(or writing from a third person omniciscent viewpoint). You need to remember that he's intelligent, that he's been alive 200+ years, and that he thinks in the long term; the reason he can afford to be so loyal to Han is that he's going to live a damn lot longer than him. In his mind, there is going to be time to spend with Malla; it just might take an extra century or so. He's witty, he knows what's up in the galaxy, and he often acts as Han's conscience. He's basically that older, more mature friend you spent your entire youth with getting drunk; he's the guy who usually drove you home, took care of you when you were in trouble, had your back during fights.

You put all that together, and you can have an incredibly complex character who has some very deep discussions with Han Solo and others.

I feel that Chewie often gets the short end of the stick in fanfic and profic, so anything I can do to help people write him more would make me very happy.

15. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Luke. I find him depressing, and I write humour for the most part. I have to ship him off somewhere to get any good jokes in. :p

16. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Dec 24, 2002
    YubYub: That's odd, I can get great humour out of Luke. He's best woth the Rogues. You're the girl who write those cool Rogue fics, aren't you?

17. Coota

Coota Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2002
    Luke is great for humor because he's a born straight man. He's like David Scwhimmer in "Friends". You'd kill yourself if you had to watch a show *just* about him, but it's funny and it works because he's a good straight man to all the wacky characters around him. And when I say this about Luke, I mean that only in the context of humor fics; he does well by himself in drama fics.

18. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    I try to avoid writing JJ as much as possible too. Another character I try to stay away from is Anakin Skywalker. People that know me, know I'm am completely anti-Anakin (in eu too, since I created Jacen/Tahiri). I don't like anakin's character and kyp durron also from eu, but lately, i'm been feeling horrible about punishing his character when i write him.

~aeryn

19. SobiFan

SobiFan Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2003
    Obi-Wan is hard to write, but a lovely challenge :D

Jar-Jar must die. Oh my God. He is easy to write, but who would WANT to? Ugh... I actually don't like to write Padme... cuz I have no idea what she is like. I've seen her on film, read Star Wars books... it's odd. I just can't write her on a deep level. Eh.

20. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    I can't write aliens. I just can't. If I make them too humanoid, then they don't seem alien. If I try to give them alien features, it becomes unrealistic (like I forgot to give it a mouth, or has six legs, but they never get in the way, or it has no arms, but weilds a lightsaber perfectly) I like writing prequel stuff, and I guess there are a lot of aliens there... but... ack...

Jedi are hard too. You never know when you start overdoing the Force. Bonds, are they really there? and can they predict the future and control minds of powerful people? where do you start making them too powerful?

21. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    There are a lot of characters I tend to plain old forget. Those are usually Lowbacca and C3P0.

I purposely avoid writing Jag Fel as much as possible. Except in my OeF trilogy.

Dana

22. LadyMairead

LadyMairead Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Interesting question, DB. I definitely try to avoid writing droids. In fact, they don't feature at all in my fic. I also have a hard time with Mara Jade, Luke, and Tenel Ka. Whenever I write a scene with these characters, it just never seems to turn out right. It's v. frustrating. So then I end up making them evil, because they irritate me so much. ;)

23. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Dec 24, 2002
    Coota, you're dead right on Luke! He needs H/L or the Rogues to play off him to make it funny. However, he's hilarious at the age of 4, I discovered recently. :p

24. Cam_Mulonus

Cam_Mulonus Jedi Master star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    I avoid writing females because I just don't understand them!!! :p

Truthfully, I avoid as many canon and EU characters as I can. I like to be original...

25. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    You're the girl who write those cool Rogue fics, aren't you?

I've never had them described as that. Thank you. :)

Females for the most part don't think all that much different from males.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.