main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which character do you have the most difficulty writing?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Daughterofflame, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vampi_Digitalwytch

Vampi_Digitalwytch Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2004
    I have trouble with Yoda's dialog. As much as it's almost backwards speak, it's hard to have it flow properly. Because of that, I've avoided using Jar-Jar for anything.

Another thing that's hard for me is using any of the non-movie characters since I've not been able to afford to buy the books so I'm stuck with what I can look up for them online and I'm always nervous about having thier characterizations down correctly.

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Actually, Yoda talks forward about half the time. But they're almost always short sentences. And he's cryptic. Drives me nuts.

3. puppyglo

puppyglo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2003
    I think, for me, is Jaina. Han is hard too. Dunno why..

~Glo

4. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    I have trouble writing Corran and Kirtan Loor. I mean, Corran as CorSec has a huge emotional chip on his shoulder because of his Dad, but he's still a cocky pilot . I have trouble writing Loor because while he's an idiot, he's menat to be an intelligent idot...see, it doesn't even make sense there. I keep slipping into writing him as a sneery Sherrif of Nottingham type of guy :p

I'm scared as hell to touch any OT characters...it'd be too mindbreaking I think

5. kristeh

kristeh Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2003
    For me, the most difficult to write are Han, Obi-Wan, and Yoda. I haven't done much with Obi-Wan and Yoda yet, but they are in some upcoming chapters of my current fic, and I'm struggling to get them right.

I love writing Luke and Anakin. I won't presume to say that I write them well, but I love them.

Kristeh

6. SaberBlade

SaberBlade Jedi Master star 3

Sep 19, 2001
    For me, the hardest characters are NJO characters, which is rather odd since I write NJO.

Jag: I read somewhere that you he doesn't have middle ground, only extremes: overcompensate the stoic and turn him into the Grim, or overcompensate the mush and turn him into a teddy bear. I find it really hard to achieve a healthy balance... but then I'm a K/Jer, so that might make sense. But I try to keep Jag true to the books in my fics (he's a decent guy!) and so I find it hard to write him.

Tahiri: She started off so innocent, and then throw in the death of Anakin and the birth of Riina, and I have no idea what to do with her. She's hyper, talkative, bubbly, and yet prone to mood swings in the opposite meditative, silent, and brooding end of the spectrum. I find her hard.

Jacen: Interacting with others, fine. On his own as a character, difficult. He's emerged much wiser, much more calm and in command of himself and his abilities. Since I'm clueless, panicked, and uncontrollable at times, he's an unknown for me.

-Saber

7. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    For me I would think that Yoda would be rather difficult to write in a fanfic, if for no other reason that it is his way of speech. Sometimes Yoda speaks in a backwards way of speech. Sometimes he speaks straight forward. He seems to be a difficult write.

For me, I try not to use the original characters as much. If I do, I do try to do so in a cameo setting. Now some of their cameo settings may seem to be longer in duration than a cameo may typically be, in some of my work, anyway... when I get to it... nevermind, I am babbling now. :)

The point of this post is to say that I would think that Yoda would be the most difficult to write. And for me, OC's, are used in limited situations like cameo's. The fanfics I write, I try to make it uniquely my own. I try to keep my works originally my own. I try not to use established characters as much. I do try to use them when the situations are right for them. So, there you have it.

8. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    I don't havedifficulties with Yoda's speech, because his speech reminds me of my German Grammar. ;) Although his own is a bit weird, though ...

9. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    1. Luke. I'm not a serious person. Luke is a very serious person. We don't get along. There's a reason he's never had more than a brief cameo in my fics.

*realizes that he has to be in the Hoth section of the Wes fic*

Oh shoot.

2. NJO Jacen. YJK Jacen I can handle. Ickle Jacen I take delight in writing. But NJO Jacen causes me the same problems as Luke. Dang it, why did they take away his sense of humour?

In case you can't tell, I have trouble writing characters without a sense of humour. :p

10. Coota

Coota Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2002
    I think the trick to writing both Jacen and Luke is not to treat them like some kind of serious, sacred cows. They both do have senses of humor, but that sense of humor is sometimes obscured by their intensity. This intensity doesn't need to completely overwhelm their characters, however; Luke is at his most interesting, I think, when he isn't being Mr. Jedi, but is instead being just a regular guy with a gift, much like Wedge.

I think Luke would enjoy a good joke just as much as the next guy, but writers feel like they need to leave him out of the joke, because they assume he wouldn't enjoy it. Give him a chance to be a part of the group, part of the boys, rather than setting him apart all by himself and maybe you'll discover that he's a lot more fun than you think he is.

I'll admit he does tend to gravitate towards solitude, as I've noticed in the fic I was writing for quite some time, The Scoundrel Chronicles, but given half a chance, he can have as much fun as Janson or Han.

11. JainaPadmeJade

JainaPadmeJade Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 20, 2002
    I think the hardest character to write is Mara. it's hard to make her nice enough to make it believeable and not too mushy, but strict and hard enough, but not too much. It's hard to keep that balance for me. I don't want her to be sarcastic like Han, or sensitive like Luke, or the intellegient person that Leia is.

any other character is pretty easy but Mara is pretty hard for me to write, especially since she is my fave character

12. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    Believe it or not, I find writing Jaina the most difficult. She's in pretty much all my fics, and is a main character in most of them, but I find it really hard to keep her in-character. She's too.... tricky. Ah! Yes.

I like writing the droids best, although they're hardly in any of my fics.
    Same goes for Mara, I like writing her (whether I do it well or not, I don't know), and yet she's not a main character in any of my fics.

*sigh*

Maybe I'm too fond of challenges, huh?

13. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Padme, because she is so very different from me--she is a thinker on the Myers-Brigg character scale, she's diplomatic, she's calm, she doesn't lose control easily. I have difficulty relating to those aspects of her personality and therefore difficulty writing her. I'm also hoping Episode III doesn't turn her into a Mary Sue, because that will make me hate her, and then she will be even harder to write. I prefer a more complex character to a perfect martyr.

Anakin is easiest for me, not only because I love him to pieces, but also because I feel I am a lot like him. He is very complex, a good man with faults that can destroy him, and seems the most human of all the Star Wars characters--certainly of all the Jedi. I am able to see his good side, and to see how Episode III might have been different both if circumstances had changed and if he had made different choices. This is the aspect I like to delve into--the AU aspect--as well as examining the reasons I feel Anakin turned.

14. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

Actually, Yoda talks forward about half the time. But they're almost always short sentences. And he's cryptic. Drives me nuts.

Yeah but that makes it easy see ;) Just screw up your dialogue and make it all backwards and forwards at the same time and you have Yoda :D Wonder where he learned to speak Basic from anyway.

The characters I have the most trouble with are Obi-Wan and Anakin. I don't connect to either of them at all. Obi-Wan's characterization is very difficult for me to get a hold of and Anakin is just plain annoying to me sometimes although in some ways he IS a lot like Qui-Gon when he's a teen with his reckless nature.

15. Daughterofflame

Daughterofflame Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003
    I guess I never said who my most difficult character was. Or did I ? (*runs back through pages to check*) Oh well. I did. But I have more evil nemisies. Actually, Leia really isn't all that hard anymore. Jag's probably my biggest challenge at the moment, just because all the NJO writer's threw his characterization in so many loops, I have no idea which way is up concerning him. He has to be stern, stiff, and formal, but for crying out loud, he's not a robot! I guess I have trouble balancing.
    Jaina's probably my easiest, but my favorites are Jacen and Tenel Ka. Jacen, because he's just so cool when you get him right, and Tenel Ka, because she used to be the hardest, but I worked on her so much, I feel like I'm stalking her or something. :p
    I've never written in the OT, and I don't think I ever will. I never could get that part of Luke's character very well. He was just so different, I'd prob'ly screw up big time.
    As for Anakin Skywalker, the poor guy's been so slaughtered, I'll NEVER write him. I just hate his static character. or at least it seems static. I guess as long as the writer has the ability to create the character that the RL SW writers didn't, he could be dynamic. I don't know.

Anyway, now that the Boards are normal again, I'll see if I can get the poll attached to the thread.

~*~ Austyn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.