main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Which do you think you would've preferred?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by I Love Star Wars 94, Dec 26, 2021.

?

The Sequel Trilogy we got or George Lucas Sequel Trilogy?

1. Disney Sequel Trilogy

11.3%
  2. George Lucas Sequel Trilogy

80.0%
  3. Disney Trilogy but replace TROS with Trevorrow's Duel of the Fates

8.8%
  1. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    How Disney ended up with a ST that is by most people opinion the worst of the Trilogies,

It is mainly cause they were hell bent on fast tracking the ST instead of going with tradition and having 1 movie every 3 years and like the PT having 1 director through out with a cohesive story but if they had gone with George Lucas's ST that everyone wanted they could have had 3 directors and come out with a cohesive story told by the creator.

2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The reason I find this POV incompatible with TFA, and therefore spawned by TLJ, is because of how reliant it is on prejudice towards Kylo almost wholly because of his heritage, with an offshoot of total apathy towards everyone else, and even towards whatever Kylo's actually doing in the narrative... enough that basically nothing matters in either movie. I think your POV, already disinterested and broken from investment by some factors in TFA, therefore overlooks and misses how completely different factors are tearing through TLJ. Fundamentally, if you're thinking that a darkside Rey vs lightside Ben story was plausible, or that TLJ was somehow doing more to set Kylo as the main villain, then not only are you dealing with the story on an entirely conceptual basis, but even the concepts you're operating on don't apply to TFA, and wouldn't naturally occur to many fans or audience members who don't practice the prioritization and interpretation you apply... and shouldn't apply, really

The difference in Kylo becoming the main villain between TFA having Kylo kill Han, and kill him the way he did, and him killing Snoke and turning down Rey's request for redemption, showcases this.

The latter story makes no sense as any kind of narrative statement, is appallingly stupid storytelling, and is completely unnatural... provided the concepts acknowledged are that Kylo is the main villain, but our actual protagonists, POV characters, and main investments are Rey and Finn. Kylo's heritage, looks, and even "telegraphed" redemption story are all important details - but they are the important details of ultimately a supporting character compared to Rey and Finn, and are in fact explicitly countered by the story of TFA, whether it strikes you as pathetic or not. He betrays his heritage through narcissistic patricide, "earns" himself a disfiguring scar to reflect the evil within, and is consciously and meta-textually rejecting the expected redemption... while the arcs and POVs of Rey and Finn are central to the film and executed as such. His POV and our investment in him can ONLY be that of an insane and loathsome villain if any acknowledgement is made of basic narrative storytelling and basic metatextual analysis.

The only reason to think that a story of him becoming the hero against a suddenly villainous Rey, or of his murdering Han being somehow sympathetic enough to think he could be redeemed, or of his looking good, or being a POV character we're expected to be invested in... is if a bias and prejudice to the idea of "The Next Skywalker Character" is practiced to the exclusion of everything else. Like, you can't even entertain the idea of anyone else being a main character in comparison seriously, or that anything he does should matter; for a lot of people, some sexism against Rey, racism against Finn, and ageism against the OT3 accompanies this, but at its heart, its simply rejecting the premise that anyone would make a Star Wars sequel with a Skywalker not as the main character.

Now, you may say that he had less screentime in TLJ as though that means he couldn't be the main character, or that Rey's screentime and ostensible place as the main character wasn't denied... but that's because TLJ is a contradictory film that embraces the earlier prejudice *both* half to practice it and half to try and deconstruct it in a kind of deluded meta-textual insanity, one that it applies to itself and TFA (incorrectly).

Rey's not the central protagonist of TLJ
    ; she's an audience POV character focused on the actual protagonist figures of Luke and Kylo, ignorant of any more critical POV the character herself or an empathetic audience member might have, and valuing their "growth" and conflict. Kylo's more central to proceedings than Maul in the PT... but he's actually not more central to the proceedings of TFA than Vader was in ANH; his heritage makes people think that should be the case, and Johnson both believes that and is torn on rejecting it and practicing it. Finn, of course, is often overlooked in this argument , whether one likes his character concept or not - because after all, whether one thinks that the goal of TLJ is to eventually reject Kylo as the protagonist hero or to make him the protagonist villain... there's no room in that bias for assuming that Finn could ever be the protagonist above Kylo and under Rey, since there isn't even room under that bias for assuming *Rey* should be above Kylo.

Oh, she can have more screentime, but as your own creative impulses are telling you, all that matters to that POV (one shared by Rian Johnson and LFL, but not Abrams, and thus pushed on TROS by LFL) is that Kylo has the Skywalker tie. Subconsciously, you, Johnson, and LFL have already rejected the idea of a non-Skywalker-led ST, whether TLJ was supposed to start that or not.

...Which is the kind of confusing hypocrisy that Lucas wouldn't have in his Trilogy

3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    My view of how the characters are written in TFA obviously informs my perception of how the characters are utilised and developed in the subsequent films. That a darkside Rey is ‘possible’ is drawn entirely from the fact that there’s a vacuum in TFA regarding character motivation. That Rey is basically a blank slate, with a ‘mysterious’ heritage, with ‘mysterious’ powers that a non-Jedi has never been shown to have in the films, plus what proceeded TFA in the previous 6 films, makes Rey’s arc in the ST entirely open to interpretation. The same applies to Kylo Ren… whose just a thinly drawn Anakin IMO. And that I stated *may* have been set up by Johnson for a flip between Rey and Kylo, is just that I.e it’s speculative based on the lack of characterisation in the films.

If you’re stating that Kylo Ren is written as being so irredeemable in TFA that any form of salvation is implausible/impossible, I’d refer you to Darth Vader. That Kylo is depicted as the masked villain of TFA is, IMO, a reflection of the attempt to replicate the Vader persona of the OT… and not an attempt to depict a villain who wouldn’t be as conflicted as Vader etc.

Where is the ‘bias’ and ‘prejudice’ exactly? If one makes a direct sequel to the OT/PT, featuring the children of the OT3, then obviously audiences (particularly the fans) are going to assume the character would be a main character, probable protagonist, or at the very least, not inherently ‘evil’. That is kind of built into the DNA of SW. Weren’t you (like me) an advocate of Rey being Luke’s daughter… or at least from the Skywalker bloodline?

I say it to underline the point that he had no more prominence in TLJ than he had in TFA. I thought he had way too much focus in TFA, and should have been treated in the same way as Vader in ANH and/or Maul in TPM.

Rey is categorically the main protagonist of TLJ, it’s just that she’s a bland character, who is written poorly… and in contrast, Kylo Ren seems far more interesting. This is as true in TFA as it is in TLJ… however, what I would say is that whilst Kylo Ren gets some development in TLJ (largely concerning his relationship with Luke), Rey just levels up again and any development is confined to the plot point about her rather mundane lineage.

I’m not sure what you’re arguing… certainly in relation to my view of it? I think Rey is bland and the most thinly drawn lead in any Star Wars film… and I’d regard her in the same light regardless of whether she was the daughter of Luke, Han and Leia or a secret clone of Shmi… I would have much rather had Finn as the lead and Kylo Ren as a non related Sith/Knight of Ren/whatever. But the root of the issue here, IMO, is that TFA made the villain a Skywalker, and by virtue, Kylo is much more emotionally connected to the OT3 and the galactic situation/galactic events. And as soon as that family connection is revealed, Kylo becomes much more significant to proceedings, and unfortunately, the redemption becomes kind of obvious (especially in the light of no other Skywalker’s). Rey, on the otherhand, is kind of dull and uninteresting… especially as she’s never really given an obstacle that she can’t overcome with ease, or overcome with a new force power that she can just materialise…

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    Darth Nave likes this.
  4. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Of course it’s not that Kylo would be irredeemable.

But it’s also of course obvious that Kylo isn’t in any position to be treated like Vader, has just had a story that inherently rejects the idea he’s as conflicted or even conflicted the same way as Vader, and who both doesn’t have the connection to the hero that Vader had (yet, at the time) nor is any kind of intimate interaction with Rey feasible or plausible at the end of TFA. And the only reason Luke wanting to redeem Vader was feasible and plausible was of course because if the reveal that Vader was Luke’s father… the kind of connection that can’t be causally substituted for with a romance because of the type of relationship that is.

It doesn’t really matter that the audience can see Kylo as redeemable. What matters is how feasible it is that Rey would see him as redeemable and desirable… and part of the reason we can tell that TLJ doesn’t treat her as a protagonist (and that we’ve gone beyond her just being bland, as you or others think) is because TLJ doesn’t even have a clear idea for why she would think his redemption was feasible, let alone desirable; a character who should naturally want Kylo dead doesn’t, which makes no sense…

…until his heritage overrides everything else.
    That *is* explicitly the bias… and yeah, Rey being a Skywalker is the natural expression of that…But I think what you’re missing is that without the bias, or if the idea is just to have a non-Skywalker set of protagonists…

…Then the intuitive reaction to Rey not being a Skywalker (particularly if the story is trying to be subversive) isn’t to treat Kylo like the “real” male lead, make the main character crush on him or want to redeem him - it’s for her to either just hate him as an enemy, or have her just remain cold on him while someone else in his family does the redemption story/subversion of it - and that’s if you don’t notice that TFA already subverted expectations and that story earlier (meaning if you want to undo it, you have to address it, and if you wanted to do that, Abrams beat you to the punch, so your story can only make things go backwards.)

That's where Johnson and you share a similar paradoxical POV: even if you want to view the story as moving away from the family story through Rey not being a Skywalker, you’re just immediately rewiring everything to move the story back to the Skywalkers through Kylo (and right after most Skywalker family fans have disqualified him from that because of how he murdered Han.)

Like, most of the “Rey is bland/Kylo is interesting” thought process is *only* defined by the family connection - without the bias, Kylo is clearly even more bland and boring than Rey if she gets that label.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  5. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Of course Kylo Ren is being ‘treated like Vader’. It’s like you’re assuming that ANH is the *only* frame of reference for the audience. The audience know (or at least those familiar with Star Wars) that Anakin Skywalker/Vader killed women, children, Obi-Wan etc. and was responsible for Padme’s death. And yet, even after those actions, *Vader* is ultimately redeemed through love. That is hard coded into Star Wars. The audience are attuned to that story (given it was the main narrative thrust of the previous films). That Johnson decided that Kylo’s route to salvation was a ‘romantic’ love, as opposed to a ‘sibling’ love etc., may not align to our preferences (and I’d agree that it stretches credulity within the confines of the story being told), but is a consequence of a redemption story being set up (either directly or indirectly) in TFA. Make Kylo Ren a straight out villain with no connection to the OT3, or Rey, and the redemption arc ceases to exist.

Pretty much everything in TFA doesn’t make sense or has little internal logic to it IMO… everything from Rey pulling force powers out of her backside at will, to Luke running away, to the First Order being the Empire v1.2, to Snoke, to the Resistance, to Han and Leia’s ‘reset’ etc. etc. so I see no further requirement for willing suspension of disbelief in Rey and Kylo’s relationship? Do I think it’s a misjudged creative choice? Yes. Do I think it would be better without that relationship? Sure. But in terms of ‘feasibility’ and internal logic, it has as much as the notion that Luke would ‘blame himself’ and would ‘walk away’ from his friends, family and the New Republic he’d helped rebuild, and sit by and watch the galaxy burn (as established in TFA). So it comes down to which piece of incredibly bad writing one is more diametrically opposed to.

I think you’re making fairly large assumptions on what I or any other Star Wars ‘fan’ wanted, in order to deflect away from the criticisms of TFA and Abrams in particular. That is your prerogative, but I believe your dislike of TLJ (and dislike for it is warranted) is clouding your view on the bigger issues within the ST… primarily in its development… and many of us recognised that the ST was ******* (or at least hamstrung) as soon as we saw what Abrams had done with TFA.

I think you’re inadvertently highlighting your own bias with your passive aggressive comments. It seems (or that’s how you are coming across), that you think fans that like TLJ/Reylo (or any other element you disagree with) are part of the problem… whereas my criticisms are squarely focused on the films and those responsible for putting them on screen.

And as to your point, compelling fictional characters are usually made interesting by the emotional relationships they have with each other… be it Hamlet, Michael Corleone or Darth Vader… that’s how *drama* is usually crafted and developed… and the inter and intra relationships were a significant factor of SW Episodes I-VI. That DLF chose to develop the ST around the extended family of the OT3, as opposed to Rey Smith and Ben Dover, is entirely their choice and not mine, nor necessarily the choice of those that were just expecting a Skywalker to be front and centre of a film that was marketed as a direct sequel to the OT, and that pushed nostalgia and all the existing iconography of the OT.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    Darth Nave likes this.
  6. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Moreso it's stupid, has no real development, build up, or real basis rational thinking.

TLJ did NOT have to develop a redemption story through Rey. That, as a concept, wasn't really remotely set up in TFA. TLJ did that. That's not on TFA. The existence of the idea of Kylo turning from the dark side in TFA doesn't make it responsible for TLJ actions.
    That's not in TFA. That's in TLJ. The stupidity of other things doesn't make it so these things are comparable or less dumb. Rey is the main character. Some may suggest doing what they do makes her tool to service Kylo's character, while what OT did was have Vader be a tool for Luke's character.
    The anti TFA sentiment isn't really relevant to what some may suggest are TLJ's real issues, that can be seen as different from TFA's, for the most part.

7. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, it’s not so much that I will deny the possibility of TFA having some BS.

It’s that I think that seeing TFA’s BS as being related to TLJ’s is factually wrong, and that people who can’t see that have the same compromised POV that Johnson had. My own POV *does have flaws*, but it’s not quite a matched set of disagreements.

To me, Kylo is obviously poison to the very idea of the Skywalker family being the main characters because of how TFA unfolds for him… and because whether someone finds Rey and Finn interesting or not, it would always screw up the Skywalker family by making it reliant on a racist and sexist premise in practice, regardless of philosophy.

I think some people miss how unacceptable Kylo being promoted over Rey and being favored because of his family was both as a character (execution-wise) and how unacceptable Ben Solo was as a replacement for a female main character Rey or black male lead Finn (conception-wise) simply because once they were given TFA, that genie ain’t going back in the bottle.

And I think Abrams knew that when making TFA - and I think Johnson couldn’t quite grasp that… and neither can people who think TLJ’s problems all spring from TFA.

8. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Then whom? Han Solo was dead, Luke had ran off and Leia was a passenger in her own story. I'm not an advocate of Rey redeeming Kylo, but I'm struggling to think which dynamic in TFA (other than Han) could be developed to facilitate that arc.

Each film has to own their own issues and shortfalls, but absolutely the proceeding films are culpable for what's set up/established. This applies equally for Kylo, as a character, as it does for Luke. For example, it's TFA that has Luke run away into self isolation and leave his friends to die. TLJ has to try and rationalise what TFA first establishes. I mean, I personally don't like what Johnson did with these characters, but I'm not blind as to poor scenarios, situations and characterisation TFA throws over the fence.

As per above. Of course they are relevant. These things are conjoined. It's why the ST is an utter mess. Disconnected films, with thinly drawn characters and concepts, with each subsequent filmmaker trying to make sense of what they've been left.

I don't think anyone believes 'TLJ's problems all spring from TFA'... and I've not really seen or heard anyone trying to position that TBH. But that's different from having the ability to see the structural problems stemming from the way TFA established its characters, situations and inter/intra relationship dynamics, and how those issues bleed into TFA and haemorrhage into TROS. It's why each subsequent film is perceived as being weaker/inferior to the previous, as those structural issues become more apparent and cannot be resolved.

9. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    Leia didn't have to be a passenger in her own story. TFA didn't do much of anything with her, but TLJ also furthered that and cemented the character there. But, also, Kylo could have changed, if that were to be done, by example or...

He could've not become an active hero in the whole trilogy, but be faced with the harsh reality of his actions, be caught and held at the end and Rey just tells him that it's his choice what he does with his life and he's left to contemplate his direction in life. That can be done whether Rey is a Skywalker or not.
    I suggest that the stronger issues with TLJ, for the most part, to me, aren't from TFA. Luke isn't the issue being discussed from my end, here, at the moment (even if I agreed with TLJ being because of TFA, and I don't). I didn't say TFA didn't have it's own issues. TLJ chose it's own. Rey is the main character though in TLJ movie, not Luke, and she can't even get the same level of time, respect or commitment afforded to Luke, in that very movie.

No matter what, TFA didn't develop a romance between Rey and Kylo in the movie itself.
    They're different movies written and directed, by apparently different people. Each subsequent filmmaker doing whatever they may want to do doesn't make it so they're not individually responsible for their choices.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  10. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Could of... would of... should of... We can all cite examples of what should have been done better. That Leia is a passenger throughout the ST isn't an issue created by Rian Johnson, although it would be true to say he doesn't fix it. However, the point remains that TFA didn't effectively establish the concepts, situations characters and inter-personal relationships. And as a consequence, the subsequent films struggle to fill the vacuum.

I'd imagine that pretty much every other Star Wars fan would disagree with you re. which character is 'disrespected' the most in TLJ (that being Luke Skywalker IMO).

It does and it doesn't. The Last Jedi has a host of issues that fall squarely on the shoulders of Johnson... be it the pedestrian space chase, the function of Rose, the whole Canto Bight sequence (the Finn and Rose subplot), the film not moving the story on in a meaningful way etc. etc. However, many of the bad creative choices in TLJ are as a direct result of what TFA set up (or what TFA failed to set up). That Rey is largely a central protagonist with no real motivation in TFA is (IMO) why Johnson chooses to give her more function by moving her into the 'redeemer' role. That Kylo is largely a central antagonist with no real motivation in TFA, but who is a 'Skywalker', feels conflicted, and murders Han Solo is (IMO) why Johnson focuses attention on the reason Ben Solo turned, and the necessity for Rey to bring him back to the light. That Luke Skywalker runs away and allows the galaxy to burn (as depicted in TFA) is why Johnson feels compelled (I assume) to paint him as some abject failure who has given up on the galaxy... after all, who other than an abject failure would give up on their friends and family just because the Jedi temple is sacked in act of betrayal?

It should be again noted that I'm not excusing Johnson for TLJ... I'm merely pointing out that he didn't fix the issues introduced in TFA (many of them beyond fixing and some salvageable) and he created a whole bunch of new issues to boot. And all these issues from TFA and TLJ cumulate in the cinematic mess that is TROS. Classic cause and effect...

11. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    That's the specific part that's backwards and where no competent writer or basic observation without a cripplingly myopic bias towards Kylo's last name (or alternatively for other people, his demogrpahic) is going to think that makes any sense.

Anyone who even broadly watches TFA is going to know that Rey AND FINN are the main characters, not Kylo. They'll also note how specifically the film is turning Kylo's actions and core character elements against the preferential treatment his heritage gives him. They'd also see that Rey leaves the film with numerous and often obvious motivations against Kylo.

That's not a detailed or favorable view of TFA - that's just broad acknowledgement of objective narrative elements and plot events. Rey and Finn are the main characters and POVs - fact. Kylo rejects his heroic heritage and is a threat to it as his main characterization element - fact. Rey despises Kylo and wants to fight him and his army because he hurt her and her friends - fact.

The thing that I believe you and Johnson are both missing is that those facts exclude any possibility of Kylo immediately becoming the male lead over Finn or of Rey being used for him rather than the other way around, even though he has the family connection. That's the meta-textual bias for the family interfering with observing basic narrative facts. Kylo is purpose built to not be the main character, male lead, or a Skywalker hero - everything he's been given counters that, and regardless of your opinion on the matter, Rey's clearest objective motivation is hatred of him for what he's done to her - in fact, it's so bluntly presented its arguable a causal motivation rather than one of agency, because it's so clearly a consequence of Kylo's actions.

Kylo doesn't get an express ticket to having Rey used for him and being treated as the main character because of his family story - because TFA already had him burn that and reject the ride, and the ride has clearly been given to Rey, with the story tellign you why its her ride, even if you can't hear it over the sound of the name "Solo."

The fact of that matter is that a competent and clear story could exist after TFA for Rey and Finn as the leads with motivation and Kylo as the villain being used for them - because it was established as such in TFA. No, it does not flow organically from the Skywalker story dominating the OT and PT... but Kylo assuming that role and sublimating Rey to his story and the facts of TFA being ignored for that is an outright rejection of the reality of narrative function.

TFA not being followed up by Rey Skywalker is an emotionally deadening follow-up to the OT... but its still more rational than Kylo being treated like a protagonist and his villainous actions being ignored, while still being emotionally deadening.

TFA may have been anemic in choosing to postpone its main meal in a Mcdonalds Mystery Meal, but TLJ is replacing the meal with a knife and cutting off its nose to spite its face, then stabbing itself repeatedly in the stomach, all so it can "look pretty." One may be a mistake, but an easily corrected one, and not fatal, while the other is an irrational expression of self-destruction.

12. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    It is an issue created by TLJ for that movie. The movie made that choice to do that for that movie. The movie holds itself back, not TFA. TFA holds itself back in similar and/or different ways, on it's own.

It struggles as a result of the choices and intentions of the individual developers per movie, for TLJ it's it's own problem, not TFA. But the concept of Rey seeking to redeem Kylo was never developed in TFA either. That's another thing TLJ developed.
    I think they'd be not accurate on that. I think the poor writing of Luke is a different issue than his character prominence, something I'd suggest isn't given to Rey, as a character. Those that take issue with a perceived disrespect for Luke, I think are misrepresenting what I think the real issue is, in that the writing is stupid. I think some may perceive purposeful animosity, while I perceive not strong writing. I think TLJ made distinct choices to care more about Luke than Rey, and I think that's on TLJ. Luke isn't the main character in these movies. Rey is. And I think the movie chooses to dismiss her as a character. Something I never felt TFA did, as whole, even at it's poorest.
    That is only an issue because TLJ chooses it to be one, not because it was forced to be by TFA. Rey is still her own character in TFA, even if she's underdeveloped. TLJ chooses not to develop her, from even really what she does have, and backtracks on some of it. That's on TLJ, not TFA. TLJ is the movie that chose to put her in that role for Kylo that she was never developed to be in in TFA, and chose the romance angle to do so, and favor Kylo at her expense, character wise, which TFA didn't do. Even some of what I think TLJ is presenting as an idea for Rey, could work, if the movie wasn't sliding Rey to the side in exchange for Luke and Kylo.

I think the underdeveloped concept, though, isn't an excuse for the writing of Rey, because Kylo is underdeveloped, but I think the movie chooses to have more focus on him, while Rey is in a moreso supporting role in his story. And I think this is down to individual choices, not something TFA is responsible for. This isn't a discussion about the lack of worldbuilding or the weak conflict, or even some perceived not well developed characters and such that TFA may have had, but character/story structure and forward momentum, all of which I think TLJ doesn't build off of TFA on, and I think that's on TLJ. Like I think TFA's, what I think of, lack of building on the OT and PT is on TFA, not on the PT for just being seen as so boring because of politics and too much CGI and Yoda fighting and all that, and people just wanna see things that "feel" like Star Wars again, so it's okay that it repeats ANH, and it's all the PT fault because of that.

Nowhere is it ever developed that Luke allowed the galaxy to burn. He's never developed to know anything about the first order or the destruction of planets or anything like that. The opening crawl of TFA suggests that the first order arose in his absence. TLJ is the movie that developed that. Luke being a jerk, is different from him sucking entirely. TLJ chose the latter, while TFA didn't. I think whatever RJ may feel compelled to do, like this, is on him.

I'm saying I think TLJ is a poorly constructed movie based on his new choices, not because of TFA, and that TFA is it's own movie with it's own individual issues.

13. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    The only 'myopic bias' on display is that which positions TLJ and Rian Johnson as being the singular failing of the ST, whilst ignoring the turd in the room (IMO) which is Abrams and his films.

As already mentioned, Kylo Ren is demonstrably the central antagonist of the films... I'm not sure what you're trying to argue?

What isn't a 'detailed or favourable view of TFA'? I'm not sure of the relevance of your 'facts'?

I'm not missing ANYTHING. I can assure you that any 'bias' is only related to how I view poorly constructed/written films. TFA being a prime example. We all know that Abrams was being hugely derivative... and that extends to the characters as well as the situations. Kylo Ren is positioned as the Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader of the ST... and obviously Anakin/Darth Vader is much more than a 'villain'. Abrams/Kasdan were simply trying to recreate this in their own image and it went badly wrong.

You seem to be forgetting that TFA is in fact Episode VII... it doesn't exist in a vacuum, both in terms of Star Wars and fairy tales/fiction generally. What you seem to be doing is pretending that TFA is the only frame of reference for how we perceive Star Wars characters. It isn't, and I'd posit that even Abrams understands that... and that when he creates (or co-creates) a character... who is related to Anakin/Luke/Leia, and who has turned to the dark side, and who is conflicted, and who wears a black mask, Abrams actually knows what he's setting in motion i.e. a character who will follow the same path as Anakin/Darth Vader, and will ultimately find salvation in self-sacrifice. It's telegraphed. Some of us saw the cynical recycling of tropes for what it was, some of us bought into the idea that it was all 'new' because we wanted to believe in it...

Again I'm not sure what point you're making... other than trying to reenforce your belief that Kylo Ren wasn't written as a character to be redeemed. I certainly believe he was, which is clearly evident by his redemption in TROS... which is (whisper softly) also a JJ Abrams film.

Again... could have, would have, should have.... The fact of the matter is that TFA *could* have been an infinitely better conceived and constructed film, instead of the derivative, cynical and unimaginative cash grab it was. And if TFA had been better, maybe Johnson would have had less excuse on TLJ, and maybe Abrams would have had less excuse on TROS. Who knows??? We can wish.

Possibly. However, they are both really poor films, IMO, for reasons both connected and not.

I don't necessarily disagree with that... apart from the 'easily corrected' comment. If it would have been so easily 'corrected', I'm sure TROS wouldn't have been as excruciatingly bad as it was.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  14. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    That TLJ immediately discards Finn as a protagonist, promotes Kylo as one, and sublimates Rey to Kylo's story in a way that makes her not a functional protagonist - and that the way it does it isn't in a narratively aware way, but simply by rejecting any POV or storyline that doesn't fit perspective...

...which reduces the ST from having *any* kind of functional protagonist situation (whether it resonates and remains consistent with the larger macro-narrative or not) and makes it unworkable even as a remake or homage.

That's the core of the argument here - you and Rian Johnson are so concerned with the macro-narrative (and not without reason) that you're missing the micro-narrative's reality and functionality. Like, yes, a complex, a living being needs a lot more chemicals and activity to be a multi-cellular organism beyond basic DNA... but without DNA, all those chemicals and activity isn't a living being.

TFA had DNA, even if you want to see it as a single cell organism. TLJ reduces it to a pile of inanimate, non-living goo on the floor.

To explain it better:
    This is a perfect example of the problem: just because the macro-narrative expectation you and the audience have is that the main character should be a Skywalker doesn't make a Skywalker the main character in actual function.

And specifically, just because the there is a macro-level "telegraphing" of Kylo getting a redemption doesn't mean that Rey lacks motivation to fight him and be the protagonist to his antagonist, or that she must be a tool for his redemption. Cynicism and optimism don't actually have input on the fact that Kylo clearly commits multiple actions creating multiple reactions motivating Rey to oppose him - as they would motivate any character in any story.

Rey hating him and fighting him as a villain would make an anemic story... but still *a story.* Rey being used to try and make him a protagonist without a story is just that - it's trying to make a protagonist (a story-dependent designation) by ditching the story entirely... and thus making it just a random series of events regardless of the greater story its supposed to connect to. Rey Nobody versus Kylo Ren may be a "firecake" of bread and water... but Rey Nobody being used to make an unchanged Kylo the main protagonist the way TLJ does is just pouring flower, sugar, and yeast onto the fire, and wondering why it's just making a fireball.

LFL had the chance to make a firecake after Abrams gave them flower and water (at minimum) if they didn't want to make a Rey Skywalker vanilla cake when he'd left that as an option, but they let Johnson toss the water aside and just burn everything. Something is better than nothing, and you can add to something, but nothing is, well, nothing.
    LFL would have to want to correct TLJ's mistakes before TFA's for any sequel to TLJ to not be excruciatingly bad in at least some way; TROS is simply the product of their demands for what they wanted from TLJ being preserved even as it defeats its own purpose merging with Abrams ruthlessly trying to keep it from becoming only about Kylo.

LFL was never going to let Rey be a real protagonist over Kylo one way or another, allow Finn to be a protagonist and male lead again, have Kylo be the main villain, or let Kylo Ren just be written in any way commiserate with his actions and personality. You yourself find TLJ as trashy and bad as your opinion of TFA, but share their conviction in the macro-story mattering so more than the micro-story to the extent you think an abusive, one-sided, humanity-less romance was on the table after TFA killed it anyways. I think you still miss things that a chunk of the audience is intensely aware of, and that's with you still being able to smell a turd in TLJ.

Why would you think LFL, who liked TLJ and (as expressed by Pablo Hidalgo lately) had skewed and inaccurate perceptions of TFA mistakes, could ever allow a good sequel to TLJ?

DOTF is maybe the closest we've seen to someone trying to make what rational follow-up to TLJ there could be... and it's still an emotionally dead, tokenism-stricken story hijacked by Kylo being both the most important protagonist and antagonist... and the problem LFL saw with it was Kylo being the antagonist.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  15. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    Both of the movies can be individual failures in their own ways, for their own reasons. What those failures mean for their individual movies is another thing.

16. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    I would say TLJ retroactively peeled off the nostalgia paint off of TFA and seriously exposed a lot of problems that too many people gave passes to.

I still regret the fact I didn't rip TFA into shred for lousy storytelling because I naively put too much good will to Kathleen Kennedy reigning back the directors under one defined narrative. It became evident that Abrams just flat out used the nostalgia narrative to dictate both TFA and TROS, and apparently couldn't bother to actually look beyond the OT era, as evident by the Death Star Destroyers having a photoshopped cannon strapped underneath the OT Star Destroyers (as opposed to say, using the Eclipse design from Dark Empire). And when you're focus on nostalgia points of an old film trilogy that newer fans wouldn't care as much as the old fans, you tend to lose your new characters and their stories.

Rian Johnson went with the deconstruction narrative of the whole Star Wars Saga, which ended up also overshadowing the new characters and their stories (with the possible exception of Rey inexplicitly developing a romance with Kylo Ren, which unintentionally undermines Johnson's attempt to move Star Wars beyond the Skywalkers since it shows the moment you remove Rey from the Skywalker Family, her character becomes even more dependent on the Skywalkers to function... as a satellite love interest to the villain).

Ultimately, both films were more focused on the grander meta-narrative then they are of actually focusing on characters. Lucas, to his credit, knew he had to cut back the politics of ROTS (namely Padme forming the foundations of Rebel Alliance) to put full focus on Anakin's downfall into Darth Vader despite the fact ROTS politics is the most interesting and engaging of the bunch. And because of that, obviously Lucas' ST wins out for many simply on the grounds it would likely treat the characters better and handle the narrative better.

2Cleva and Darth PJ like this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The removal of Rey as a Skywalker is likely the sum total of the problem, especially if Abrams was trying to recreate the OT. I never had a problem with Kylo being redeemed, and I sort of expected it.

Having Rey redeem him through romance, though, is the stupidest and most regressive idea ever seen in any Star Wars movie and I don’t know what Rian Johnson or JJ Abrams in his follow-up were thinking, other than couching some blatantly false and obscenely sexist idea about how “this is what girls like and girls don’t like Star Wars so we need to make girls like Star Wars” under the guise of “see we’re pro-feminism because we made a movie in which Leia hits a man and Poe gets told what to do by a woman in a purple dress!”

18. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I’d agree that Johnson seems to ‘discard’, or probably more accurately, relegates Finn to a less interesting subplot in TLJ… *However*, I suspect that’s largely due to the view that Abrams wasted the opportunity to give the character needed depth, complexity and a compelling arc in TFA. The high concept of Finn being a renegade Stormtrooper, who joins the rebels, is a great one… and John Boyega is a fine actor with a lot of on-screen charisma… but beyond that, Finn is kind of ‘relegated’ to the comic relief of TFA. Where Rey gets to be heroic, Finn is the love sick fool, who is regularly slapped down, needs to be rescued and is not taken seriously. The defected Stormtrooper concept isn’t used nearly as competently as it should, and within TFA itself, doesn’t generate one iota of drama, apart from maybe the one scene where he leaves Rey at the cantina. Instead, the concept (the renegade Stormtrooper), is just used as plot device to get Poe off the Star Destroyer and the rebels inside SKB.

With respect, that’s a largely verbose criticism of *me* and Rian Johnson, which doesn’t really pertain to anything in particular. You seem to be approaching this discussion as if I’m defending TLJ… and this is where your bias is evident… because I am not defending Johnson or TLJ. I’m critiquing your interpretation… because your (seemingly) inbuilt bias towards Johnson/TLJ, doesn’t allow you to acknowledge, even as a possibility, that many of the ST’s issues are structural, and were seeded in the construction and development of TFA. Poor films usually beget poor sequels… and that’s exactly what we get with the Sequel Trilogy.

As already mentioned… you seem to be forgetting the fact that a fictional ‘narrative’ is an artificial construction, which is designed to engage the audience. ‘Expectation’ is the desired objective of those creative the narrative, otherwise it would be impossible to predict and consciously create drama, tension, comedy etc. etc. In short, making the villain a Skywalker is a conscious creative choice, designed to elicit response in the audience… ‘expectation’ being one of the elements to elicit.. and in terms of TLJ, Johnson (for right or wrong) attempts to subverts some of those expectations.

Rey doesn’t have to redeem Kylo Ren, I’m not sure I’ve ever argued that? Point being, if the underlying narrative is one of redemption, then at some point the writer/director has to make the decision as to how that redemption is realised. Han Solo was dead. Luke is absent, Leia’s a passenger… which leaves Rey, Finn or Poe… and given that Rey is the central protagonist, it’s usual that the central protagonist is given that function.

If you’re stating that TFA creates an issue and TLJ makes it a bigger issue, I agree…

Using your analogy… Abrams gave us flour and water, some believed it would result in a cake, but some knew only too well that flour and water makes paste (a tortilla at best).

TROS suffers from the same thing TLJ does I.e. trying to find a compelling story/compelling character where none previously existed. It’s what happens, typically, when you throw different creatives into the mix, with no real plan and no discernible consistent vision across piece. Abrams delivered a film that was built purely on nostalgia, Johnson destroyed any remaining good will by trying (and failing) to find something more compelling, and Abrams came back to cash a cheque.

Both the micro and macro story of TFA was hugely derivative of the OT, which is why many people disconnected from it immediately (myself included)… especially as it shat on many elements of the OT/PT. The result being that any investment in the story was diminished by the lack of compelling story and narrative (both at micro and macro level)… In terms of my preferences, what is it exactly you think I prefer or don’t prefer? I think you’re confusing my opinion that Rey was a thinly drawn, vapid and boring character in TFA, with a preference to see her enter a toxic romance in TLJ. Not at all. I just believe the toxic romance was a consequence of the thinly drawn characters and situations in TFA i.e. Johnson was trying to create drama (badly IMO) where none existed before.

I’m less interested in conspiracy theories behind the scenes (be they true or not), than I am in the actual technical/creative merits of a film. And what we can say as empirical fact is that Abrams made both TFA and TROS, TFA being the film that set up Ben’s redemption (IMO anyway), and TROS being the film that not only formalised the ‘romance’, but had Ben redeemed. But yeah… Abrams family were absolutely held at gunpoint until he agreed to make a film diametrically opposed to what he wanted to depict in TFA.

ezekiel22x likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Saying you’re correct in that the entire ST is bad and TFA set up some of the character issues—why do you think Rian Johnson is such an innocent bystander here and why do you think he had absolutely no choice but to sideline Finn and push towards Reylo?

Rian Johnson having no choice and “just going with what TFA set up” has the same passive-aggressive vibe as “just making an observation” has in other arguments. (Not that I think you personally are being passive-aggressive—I don’t think that—but I have seen this quite a bit in defense of Rian Johnson and TLJ).

There are many, many better directions he could have taken TLJ, starting with making Rey a Skywalker and not having her coddle Kylo as an unrelated stranger, as well as moving away from sidelining Finn instead of towards it, and developing Rey and Finn’s friendship instead of moving away from it in favor of a “romance” that belongs somewhere between Fifty Shades of Grey or Criminal Minds. He chose not to do that, and that’s on him.

TFA had issues, having Finn drink from a trough and having Han go back to being a smuggler among them. But that does not mean Johnson had no choice in the direction he took TLJ.

20. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    My opinion is that the structural issues are present in TFA, for the record; they’re just, to me, objectively much better and still functional compared to the desolate wasteland after TLJ

A significant part of my POV and argument is that while, yes, the use of nostalgia, replication, and “remake” as a creative philosophy for a sequel is deeply dubious, it also means you’re using a functional structure, so at worse, even a bad remake of a functional film (like many see TFA to ANH) is still going to be a film with competent character arcs, dramatic arcs, and internal logic. So even when I concede that by some standards, TFA was a poor film… it’s not the type of poor film that should beget the type of poor sequel TLJ was. Audiences, mainstream and hardcore fans in general, were much more positive to TFA than TLJ and TROS because of that blunt functionality, and noted the lack of it on the other two films, at minimum.

Now, I *do* most definitely have a bias where I think that criticism of Finn, Rey, and even Kylo’s characterization, or of TFA’s general dramatic structure and enjoyability pre-TLJ, wouldn’t be anything more than a mostly minority opinion if TLJ didn’t both deliberately retcon in and out bad changes to the story and characterization, before accidentally aggravating and screwing up the situation so far beyond even the worst assessment of TFA that it’s not even the same discussion.

I know that’s an emotional opinion formed by me enjoying one thing and loathing another, I just also “know” I’m right to ascertain that emerges from TLJ instead of TFA. :p
    Again, if I can try and clarify this nuance here, what I don’t see is any creator with basic analytical skills or basic “creative empathy” (being able to empathize with the characters enough to reflect a dramatically sound perspective) doing a toxic romance as a consequence of TFA’s specific weaknesses. It’s not execution that’s the issue here. It’s an immediately poisonous conception by Johnson that LFL liked.

Like, I know you don’t see any “creative empathy” with Rey because what was presented in TFA bored you… but that doesn’t really matter. There was drama clearly laid out and motivation clearly laid out for Rey vs Kylo, and even if you want to argue it was anemic and farcical (which I would say it most definitely wasn’t, and that we see it as such now because of TLJ and LFL enforcing such)… it’s there.

When TLJ rejected the hardest, most undeniable facts about TFA regarding a Rey and Kylo… that changed things irreparably.

And I *do* think on some level it’s just a human psychology thing - plenty of people just had their brain immediately say a romance between Rey and Kylo was probable and/or preferable the second they decided she wasn’t a Skywalker/Solo… but just as many people, who were capable of being creatively empathetic towards Rey, Finn, and even Kylo, saw that (somewhat correctly, frankly) as an irrational madness - because we could see it would be driven and ultimately overwhelmed by biases, prejudices, and denial given the context and the hurdles it *should* jump over but that would almost certainly be ignored.

And TROS is simply those biases, prejudices, and denial reigning supreme in LFL to the point where the final film is going to suck no matter what, and more because of LFL and TLJ, and the biases they embraced.

Abrams made a functional film in TFA if for no other reason than that even a remake is a better idea than smutty fanfiction minus the smut.

21. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Who said Johnson was an 'innocent bystander'???

There is nothing passive aggressive about stating that TLJ inherited many of the issues that TFA created.

Johnson couldn't have made Rey a 'nobody' if Abrams had correctly established who Rey was in TFA. That Johnson made a choice that we don't agree with is a creative choice on him, that Abrams creates a mystery box re. Rey's heritage, that the next film must resolve in some way is on Abrams.

Of course he had a choice, but the damage had already been done.

ezekiel22x likes this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No, the damage had not already been done, and by saying it had, you relegate Johnson to an innocent bystander who had no choice but to make Rey a nobody and give her a toxic “romance” with Kylo.

Abrams set up a mystery box and mystery boxes are stupid. But Abrams did not say that Rey was a nobody and Johnson was not forced to make Rey a nobody. He could have made her a Skywalker. That door was still open. He chose not to, and I hold him accountable for that, not Abrams for setting up a mystery box.

23. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'm kind of just focusing on one idea of yours here, but I definitely agree. For all of TLJ's role in contributing to a "problematic" relationship between Rey and Kylo, as a viewer I left TLJ thinking that the possible Kylo redemption arc and/or relationship with Rey (be it romantic or just Force connected super friends) was emphatically over and the whole point was to set up Kylo as the primary antagonist to be defeated in IX. TROS formalizing both really took me by surprise. Of course, I wasn't expecting "somehow Palpatine returned" either coming from TLJ, but perhaps I should've with Abrams in charge.

Darth PJ and bstnsx704 like this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I think Johnson absolutely intended that the toxic garbage “romance” be rekindled/continued in TROS, given that he told Williams to rewrite the score because of course a “young woman” would think “romance is possible” :rolleyes: and because he thought “everyone” could relate to Kylo.

That disgusting tonsil-hockey scene at the end was on Abrams but if I ever see evidence that Johnson wouldn’t do the same thing, I’ll eat frog eggs with Grogu (and I’m vegan).

25. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Some of this confusion is because of how alien, short-sighted and Kylo-focused Johnson’s POV is. No one who understood Rey from TFA on even just the basic “person minding their own business being assaulted, violated, and losing friends to a single monster” basis would think getting attracted to Kylo made sense, or that Kylo’s story was leading to redemption.

Like… it’s hard for *me* personally to think that anyone who liked TLJ better than TFA would be ever surprised at TROS giving Kylo a redemption and a kiss from Rey - because I don’t think anyone even just intellectually observing TFA would lead to thinking those were on the table right after that film was over.

No one can tell me that Rey would be more turned off of Kylo by him telling her no to a redemption offer from her than she would be by him torturing, violating, and assaulting her while maiming and murdering her friends in between.

No one can tell me that Kylo turning down a redemption offer from Rey shows more that he’s not getting redemption but somehow murdering his loving father to free himself of his conscience wouldn’t.

To be blunt, who the hell says “I murdered my father to prove how evil I am… but to actually prove it, I have to tell this seemingly suicidally girl who crushed on me after - and seemingly because - I viciously beat her and creeped on her while submitting her to two tortures for my own ends that I don’t feel like being a good person”?

I mean at best, that’s the dumbest mixed message in Star Wars. At worst, and as it kind of feels like, it’s just being so much a Kylo fanboy you don’t give a damn about anything he does… which is really more what TLJ is about, and what LFL loved.

If Rey reaching for Kylo and hoping to redeem him seemed believable in TLJ after everything in TFA, than you wanted that more than you wanted Rey to act like a human being and more than you wanted Kylo to be the main villain. That’s a fact.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    Shadao, 2Cleva, alwayslurking and 3 others like this.